Cafe Pro Bono
2437 Birch Street
Palo Alto, CA 94306Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Cafe Pro Bono
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.cafeprobonorestaurant.com/
- Phone: (650) 326-1626
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Mon-Fri. 11:30am-2:30pm
Dinner: Mon-Fri. 5pm-10pm, Sat-Sun. 5pm-9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Jose Rodrigez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, BYO Liquor, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Contact: Akif Aydin 6503261626
A word from Cafe Pro Bono
Cafe Pro Bono is a place for taste conscious people. We serve a wide variety of traditional Italian dishes at reasonable prices with a freshness you can see and taste. Our menus include delicious, attractively presented appetizers, fresh pastas, fresh fish, steaks, chicken, salads, sandwiches, homemade desserts and wines to complement your meal.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cafe Pro Bono reviews from OpenTable diners
115 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (74)fit for foodies (51)great for lunch (33)special occasion (30)good for groups (28)romantic (22)great for outdoor dining (19)notable wine list (18)kid-friendly (6)hot spot (5)late-night find (4)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great italian taste in palo altoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/17/2014I went there for dinner. The four of us sat in the very middle of the restaurant. It was all packed that night, so the noice level is kinda high. but on the other hand shows how popular this place is. I am not a big fan of cheese, but I really like susan's downfall. It's amazing. Duck pate was my favorite appetizer. Lamb rack is amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Staff is outstandingRDfoodieVIPDined on 11/14/2014I hosted lunch for four with a serious time constraint, which I mentioned in my OpenTable reservation. Nothing was said at the restaurant, but everything was organized to fit our time schedule perfectly. My guests did not feel rushed, and we had a great meal. Cafe Pro Bono is one of my favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice LunchbusyjeffDined on 11/6/2014Waiter assisted in recommending a few real lunch gems. Not to filling and great service. Would definitely go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasureOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/5/2014Had a lovely birthday celebration for a colleague and Cafe Pro Bono was the perfect place. There were 8 of us and they accommodated us with a great round table in a good spot. The staff were delightful and attentive. The pasta special I had was great. Ba wonderful time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food in lively atmospherejohnwDined on 11/1/2014We had a delicious dinner at Pro Bono on Saturday night. Pretty much all the tables were occupied, and everyone seemed to be having a good time: it was pleasantly lively. The carpaccio was a treat, the warm goat salad very tasty as well. We had pasta dishes to follow. The pasta was hot and flavorful, and the portions were generous, so no room left for dessert. Our waiter recommended at Napa wine which went very well with our food. All in all a good experience: we'll be back.Special Features:
- Consistently Very Good!brittygirlDined on 10/25/2014This is one of my favorite neighborhood gems! I love the horseradish-crusted salmon, I almost always get this (but I must say the piece of salmon keeps getting smaller and smaller).
- Great Service, Great FoodspecialDined on 10/23/2014The service at Cafe Pro Bono was very friendly and attentive. The food was fresh and included a special menu of the day. They had innovative combinations. My pasta was perfectly done and the salad of the day with butter lettuce pears and gorgonzola was delicious. They served ample portions for cocktails and wine, which I find is unique these days with the higher end restaurants barely filling the glass. I would highly recommend this restaurant and plan to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MgleongDined on 10/20/2014Our food choices did not disappoint us. The waiters were very nice and accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UncleJDined on 10/17/2014Delightful place, right next to a public parking lot, with a few tables outside for those who have to have carbon monoxide with their cocktails (the tables are on the sidewalk literally right next to a busy Birch street). However, that aside the place is one of the better finds in the California Avenue section of Palo Alto. Very vibrant area with lots of dining choices, this is one of the better ones. The food is not cheap, but is very good with some excellent choices rarely found (like rabbit) on the usual menu. We will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DidiDined on 10/11/2014We always enjoy Pro Bono! Our server was terrific!Special Features:
- Lovely!EpicureanVIPDined on 10/5/2014We enjoyed the loveliest evening at Cafe Pro Bono, and shall definitely return.
- First Yelp Miss...OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/5/2014Five of us went there as a "four stars" choice to celebrate a 21st b'day. Overall, it ended up an expensive $200 for a nothing more then a mediocre experience. More specifically: - Ambiance and restaurant condition - no central A/C on a warm evening with a small local unit instead was a pity. The light bulbs located above ceiling fans created a weird feeling making some of us dizzy. - Service - waiters were really nice and tried hard. However, they were pretty clueless about the dishes... - Food - while all dishes were promptly served, timely and warm, none were any special. - The restaurant did nicely offering a b'day cake on the house. Nice touch!
- It was bad...ForTheLoveOfFoodVIPDined on 9/20/2014Starting from the hostess/owner, almost upset to have a sold out night and continuing to the "side room" where we were seated, with wires/pipes running along the walls. And of course their food... Italian??? Really??? Overcooked, over dressed pasta with big chunks of "dead" tomatoes, ravioli floating in cream, tasteless meat. And all for outrageous prices. Do you want honest Italian dishes and enthusiastic owners? Walk to Terun on California.
- Delicious ItalianfoodloverDined on 9/20/2014The food was totally delicious and the staff was very friendly and fun.Special Features:
- Nice surpriseTLC27Dined on 9/19/2014There were 5 of us for a family dinner. Sat outside on a Friday night. It was a beautiful night, the food was overall very good... The Branzino was excellent!! They took great care of us. Will be back for more...😊Special Features:
- great for a business lunchSVCFDined on 9/19/2014Met a colleague to go over a presentation before a client meeting and had a delicious lunch and excellent service. The noise level was perfect for being able to hear each other but not having others hear us. I had the salmon with champagne sauce and my colleague had the sand dabs. Both were excellent. Service was perfect.Special Features:
- Needs an updateLimeyVIPDined on 9/18/2014Pro bono is an old-school Italian place, in terms of decor and menu. It could definitely use an interior refresh, but everything is clean, just dated. I went for a business lunch and it was challenging to get out of there in less than an hour. I had the sand dabs, which were fresh and perfectly cooked over a good-but-not-great fettucini. My friend had the "downfall" ravioli (that's what it's called) and it was drowned in cheese -- menu needs to be more modern. It was hard to get the wait staff's attention and we were both late getting back to the office, which is a problem for lunch service.
- Hidden treasureRseguraDined on 9/17/2014This is a resturant hidden off the main track that has great food! It was my first time and definately not my last . The service was excellent and food was suberb.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful again!RedGTODined on 9/16/2014We love Pro Bono and have been going there for the last 15 years. Try it! we promise you will like it. Suzanne’s Downfall is a must as an appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe Pro Bono.... for lawyers lunchbbmathDined on 9/15/2014Lovely food, attentive waiters.. outdoors eating on sidewalk. The gazpacho was good and they nicely split it for us. My Duck Confit salad was nice. My mom seemed to enjoy the gorgonzola toasted ravioli. (not my thing) The only weak spot was the custard which had an unattractive layer on the bottom of it... perhaps over cooked, perhaps sitting around too long, at first I thought it might be paper, but it wasn't. Slow to refill our drinks. Lots of lawyer talk all around us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favoriteLarryDined on 9/14/2014Our middle school daughter has requested dinner at CPB as her special birthday dinner spot for the last three years at least, and we are never disappointed. The food is consistently fresh, beautiful, and delicious. The service is friendly and professional, always on point, and it seems the staff does not age. We always come with a party of 8 people, and its never a problem to get served all at the right time. Some restaurants are flashy and they come and go. This one is solid, steady, they have their thing and they stick to it, and its wonderful to come back time and time again.Special Features:
- As Always - Wonderfultj56Dined on 9/6/2014We have been dining at Cafe Pro Bono for years and is is consistently excellent. Food and service never disappoint!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabulous food w/out downtown mobMarkVIPDined on 9/5/2014I have eaten here 3 times over the years - it is a home run - the ambiance and the service are as good as the food - the prices are reasonable, although the portions are not huge - I will be back again... and againSpecial Features:
- Good food, nice dining roomelaineKOAVIPDined on 9/5/2014We had not been to Cafe Pro Bono for several years and our recent dining experience left us feeling that we had really missed out on a great local restaurant. We were greeted warmly, the tables were well spaced, the lighting was good and we could actually talk to one another throughout dinner without getting hoarse....as happens in other places. The restaurant filled up quickly before 7 PM, many seemed like regular guests. The food was great. We shared two entrees to try out the menu.. the crab filled ravioli in a cream sauce and the veal scallopini with capers were delicious, as was the beet and arugula salad lightly dressed. Spumoni ice cream and the special bread pudding with ice cream finished the meal. An outstanding wine list.Special Features:
- Outstanding FoodSGVMoonDined on 9/4/2014My wife and I enjoyed both of our meals. I had pasta and my wife had a meat dish. We sampled each others dishes and they were both very tasty.Special Features:
- Great Italian FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014We had a very good dinner. Each single dish was excellent. My favorite dessert is Zabaglione which is always a treat at Pro Bono.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovelyshirlVIPDined on 8/27/2014i don't know what we will do after the cool evenings settle in. i choose to sit outdoors, since it is quiet and we can have a civilized conversation. the food never disappoints and the service just right.Special Features:
- De-lish!ShaybabbyVIPDined on 8/16/2014I was a great choice! I had the prawns, husband had the duck, friend had the lamb kebob. We were all very happy! We also had the Susan's downfall as an appetizer and loved it!Special Features:
- Always a pleasurechihuahua2Dined on 8/15/2014Love the out door dining. Relaxing, quiet and peaceful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good value for good mid-tier foodSausalitoVIPDined on 8/14/2014A nice middle tier restaurant with friendly service and well-executed dishes. Not fancy but a solid place to go with co-workers and clients.Special Features:
- PaloAltoEdVIPDined on 8/13/2014Always a friendly staff and good exciting food. Great neighborhood find. Pro Bono has private rooms for quiet fun gathering.Special Features:
- totally reliable food and servicepianonoirVIPDined on 8/12/2014the menu is extensive mostly italian. they will modify dishes if you ask and they are able. i have come here for years...Am happy that they have been able to expand so have a lovely room for groups..and take very good care of those groups!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Friendly atmosphereLzrman38VIPDined on 8/8/2014We go back and back. Wonderful European wait staff and excellent food. Can't miss this as a regular dining out spot.Special Features:
- Can't miss dining.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/6/2014Pro Bono has consistently good food and service. It is my favorite lunch spot but is also good for dinner.Special Features:
- Serivce a plus, food is averagenapadiner2VIPDined on 8/2/2014Affordable prices and very friendly service, but not the best Italian dinner you can get in the California Ave neighborhood. Disappointed with pate - better than average taste, however the toast it was served on was hard as a rock. Carpacio was blah. Duck breast and flat iron steak were very tender and moist. 2 alfredo-based pasta dishes were tasty but not outstanding.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Restaurant!lstoneVIPDined on 8/2/2014We loved it. Every entree was delicious! We had a fabulous evening dining with our family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastico!!urmyfavDined on 8/1/2014I've eaten at Pro Bono many times for lunch, dinner and New Year's Eve. This place never disappoints.Special Features:
- Excellent lunch selections!LuxValueSeekerVIPDined on 7/31/2014Had the fish that day, wonderfully cooked! Service was efficient if not a wee bit brusk...overlooked it because the food was really good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MaryDined on 7/30/2014nice selection of pasta, salads, meat and fish dishes. Service was good and pleasant. Offered good wine selections -- white & red. PleasantSpecial Features:
- My favorite Palo Alto restaurantfoodloverVIPDined on 7/29/2014Cafe Pro Bono is my restaurant for taking friends for birthdays or just to treat them. I am never disappointed. The fish is always good and the salads as well. The few times they have served halibut it was delicious. My favorite dish is Susan's Downfall, a decadent pasta dish of ravioli covered by a delicate gorgonzola sauce. The service is professional and prompt. Outside is ultra-pleasant, if not too hot that day. Finally, they have lovely bathrooms.Special Features: