Cafe Portofino - Marriott Kauai
3481 Ho'olaule'a Way
Lihue, HI 96766Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Cafe Portofino - Marriott Kauai
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://cafeportofino.com/
- Phone: 8082452121
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian, Contemporary European
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, View, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: We have live harp music for our relaxing diners; and a nightclub / late night scene on Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays.
A word from Cafe Portofino - Marriott Kauai
True Italian fare, but also specializing in Seafood and Steaks! Cafe Portofino overlooking the Pacific Ocean near the Marriott hotel has been called "A honeymoon destination' by Martha Stewart, and 'one of the top 10!' by Gourmet Magazine. Please come and enjoy the gentle tradewinds and enjoy a classic dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Cafe Portofino - Marriott Kauai - Best Restaurants in Lihue ›
Cafe Portofino - Marriott Kauai reviews from OpenTable diners
24 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (17)scenic view (16)special occasion (12)romantic (10)fit for foodies (6)neighborhood gem (5)notable wine list (5)kid-friendly (3)good for groups (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- So-SoflipflopladyDined on 9/26/2014Food was our only problem.. We like a cold crispy salad and this one was room temperature. Our Veal dishes were tasty but not very hot. Portions are small especially for the prices charged. Our waitress and helper were very friendly and very attentive. The scenic view is outstanding especially if you are sitting by the railing. As a local I doubt we will go back.Special Features:
- Poor Food experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/16/2014Four of us had dinner at Portifino last week and found the food mediocre to terrible. I'm Not one to review restaurants but thought I should chime in especially since this restaurant is affiliated with Marriott. The food wasn't fresh.. The mozzarella cheese was hard as a rock, the sauces were almost inedible and the fish was fishy tasting and mushy. It's too bad since the atmosphere is so nice.
- Just okayGreatfoodDined on 8/31/2014Server was really good but when first came in, the gentleman who greeted us didn't seem to enthused to see us. Food was nothing special.Special Features:
- consistently good foodhavingagreattimeinkauaiVIPDined on 8/24/2014Another great meal at Cafe Portofino with wonderful harp music. A pleasure to hear, as ocean to see, and good food, it doesn't get better than that.Special Features:
- So-somehmetVIPDined on 8/16/2014I instantly dislike restaurants which serve wine at very warm temperatures. Here a glass of red wine was probably 75 degrees. The specials were uninspired and overpriced for what you got--mine was some sort of seafood on spaghetti--3 scallops, 3 shrimp, 4 tiny clams, and a few small pieces of ahi on a large bed of spaghetti. My spouse had a special served in a crab shell with the claws separate on the plate, but with no way to extract the crab meat from the claws and the claws themselves were not cracked to make extraction possible.Special Features:
- Not worth the timechicagofoodieDined on 7/31/2014As recommended we made a reservation, requesting a table outside. When we arrived at the restaurant the staff tried to seat us at a small table pushed up against the railing, on the inside of the terrace and obviously in the path of every patron and staff member. We asked for a different table and were accommodated. Our server, Diane, spent more time explaining why we would have to wait than actually waiting on us. The food was mediocre, the service slow. We will not return or recommend Portifinos. It was a waste of time.
- Not worth your moneyTravelgirlDined on 7/27/2014We were in Hawaii for 10 days and this was by far the worst food we had the whole trip. My husband does not eat fish so I thought going for Italian would be a good choice. This place got good reviews but I don't know why. The bread was hard, my husband dish and my dish tasted like chef boyar dee and the pasta was so over cooked it was mush.
- The following 68 reviews are from the Cafe Portofino - Marriott Kauai reviews archive.
- Nice spotLloydVIPDined on 6/10/2014This is a nice spot to dine and watch the sun go down. Food was good but not outstanding. Service staff was very nice.
- Best Italian on the islandSnowyVIPDined on 6/4/2014We usually avoid restaurant types that we can find at home in CA - and I thought that Cafe Portofino being an Italian restaurant and our having dined at some of the finest Italian places San Francisco has to offer was going to make this a bit of a bust, but I was way wrong. Cafe Portofino was my wife's favorite of all the great places we went on Kaua'i. Can't go wrong here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellant!HMBgirlVIPDined on 5/30/2014We have been going to Cafe Portofino for over 15 years. The food has always been wonderful. We always look forward to our evening there every time we visit Kauai.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location and foodMikeVIPDined on 5/28/2014We had a wonderful dinner. A very nice spot and quality Italian food. The food was very authenticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Portofino's never disappoints!promisekeeperVIPDined on 5/1/2014We go to Portofino's every year when we stay at the Marriott Kauai Beach Club. Usually we save it for our last night because it is so romantic, has such a lovely view, and the food is very good. It is expensive, however, so be forewarned! If you are staying at the Marriott you can get a 25% discount on the 2nd entrée between 5-6 pm. It is an Italian restaurant but has lots of fish and seafood dishes as well as the traditional pasta and veal. Great tiramisu!Special Features:
- Good Food With A VieweatnightlyVIPDined on 4/23/2014My husband and I were staying at the Marriott and after a full day in the car at the canyon decided to stay on the property for dinner. We were not sorry. The food at Portofino's is good Italian food and the view is just beautiful. We had a wonderful server who was attentive. The restaurant has inside seating as well and the night we were there they had entertainment. It was nice to have a choice of being in the same room with the entertainment or sitting outside and having the music as more of a background. The menu doesn't seem to change much but there are quite a few choices so that doesn't present a problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We spent 12 days in KauaiOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/9/2014We spent 12 days in Kauai and ate at Cafe Portofino twice. The food was delicious both times. Will definitely return on my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't waste your money in paradiseNanelfVIPDined on 3/31/2014Don't be fooled by the name of this restaurant. There is NOTHING Italian about it. The food tastes like something out of the frozen food section of a grocery store reheated. I am Italian. My daughter had the fettuccine alfredo, inedible. The noodles were like tissue and the sauce just horrible. I had the vegetable lasagne, with "seasonal" vegetables which I guess equals mushrooms and frozen spinach. My husband had the spaghetti marinara which tasted like jar sauce. We ordered the fried mozzarella appetizer which turned out to be mozzarella sticks! In a real Italian restaurant, it would have been a flat piece of fried cheese in a light red sauce. Just completely terrible for a hundred dollar tab without drinks for 3 people.Special Features:
- Delish!FriendDined on 3/21/2014We will definitely return! We had calamari appetizer, fresh salad, Caesar salad, seafood linguine special, fresh clam linguine, caramel custard, and chocolate mousse. All delicious, fresh, and light. The complimentary focaccia bread was moist. Service is fast!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/20/2014Food was very good. Service from sweet waitress was wonderful, friendly and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is excellentDeniDined on 2/13/2014Our 2nd visit this trip. Both times the food was excellent. On our first visit I had the veal piccata which was prepared perfectly and the fresh vegatables were a nice change from the Kim chee that many others places use. On.the second visit I tried the rack of lamb which was by far the most tender and nicely prepared rack that I have had in a long time . Have also had many seafood and pasta dishes in the past . I cant say that I have not had a bad meal. This last visit they accompanied the meal with a lightly crisp focaccia bread which was a welcome change from their normal non descript bread. Will always return every time we visit Kauii.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Both the Maitre d' and ourOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/13/2014Both the Maitre d' and our server just seemed put out. Neither made us feel comfortable or even welcome. The food was outstanding but the experience was waisted due to the staff.
- Superb in all RespectsDenverJeffDined on 2/8/2014Service staff were well trained, knowledgeable, and polite. The location looks over a bay and is great for a romantic meal. We ate four courses that were all superb. Taste, presentation, and timing all great. Their menu is diverse and would satisfy any taste. The wine list is nice and affordable. The musician played a harp and added a nice, elegant touch. I recommend you put it on your list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good Italian food on KauaiJohnVIPDined on 1/23/2014Even though it's a hotel restaurant the Italian food is very good (pasta, salads, clams), White tablecloths. A harpist playing Italian style music. How good can it get?Special Features:
- Food was really tasty andgljr76Dined on 1/18/2014Food was really tasty and they treat their fish and pasta dishes well, not over-cooking either component. Our service was a bit off because our waiter was new and didn't know their menu or the wine list. Never really engaged with our party so that was a detraction from anotherwise very good meal. Great setting but not the best sunset spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WONDERFUL!!YummyspotsVIPDined on 1/2/2014Great food, service, and ambience!! Everything was very well prepared and very yummy! A definite must go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Years EveDolciVIPDined on 12/31/2013Although we had requested out door seating we decided to dine inside,the view was not as exceptional but we could still have a nice dinning experience as it was less crowded and not as noisy.The seafood pasta dish was exceptionally good all the seafood was cooked to ourm liking.I will dsefinitly go back next time in Kauai.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rude will never go again!KathyDined on 12/28/2013Started out with the host being rude. Made a reservation weeks before to sit Oceanside. Got there and was told they don't take reservations it is first come first serve. That was a lie. Our waitress comes to the table and ask what we want to eat. Never a asked if we wanted anything to drink. We were only at the table 2 minutes. She asked my husband 5 times during the course of waiting for our food how he wanted his rack of lamb cooked. She dropped napkin in my food. They rush you. We were there less than a hour for a nice dinner. The food was nothing great. Definitely will never go back or recommend !!!!!
- Great food. Great viewAndreaVIPDined on 12/25/2013As usual, marvelous. Also, Larry Rivera, Mr. CoCo Palms entertained! I love this placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service and great foodSteveDined on 12/21/2013Lasagna and the lamb were amazing. Great experience decent wine list and friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beach HeavenAndreaVIPDined on 12/17/2013Great food as usual and Larry Rivera,"Mr. CoCo Palms was an added bonusSpecial Features:
- Service and view are good.JonnyVIPDined on 12/14/2013Service and view are good. But the quality of the food, especially at the price was below average. Very disappointing.Special Features:
- Awful, Simply AwfulOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 12/5/2013Very disapointing as Portofino was highly reccomended. My wife had rack of lamb, that the menu stated would take 20 minutes to prepare. We shared an appitizer and had a glass of wine awaiting our entrees. 20 minutes, 40 minutes, 50 minues come and go. Call over the manager about our entrees. He responds that rack of lamb takes 40 minutes (ridiculous). Dinner comes-Surprize, it's stone cold! Call over the manager again, he says, "It can't be cold it just came outy of the kitchen"(!) My wife stabs a piece of meat and says, "Here, taste it". He offers to go get it microwaved! We decline, and eat our cold dinner. Bill comes including drinks that we didn't have. Nothing comped, word "sorry" never mentioned! Just pathetic. Don't go!
- Upscale dining in casual,RickVIPDined on 11/15/2013Upscale dining in casual, elegant setting. Nice menu, great food, great service. A very enjoyable dining experience overall. A bit of a walk for the physically challenged. Would return again next time in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Itallian in Kauai.OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/10/2013Cafe Portofino serves great Itallian food with a smile. They are located on the grounds of the Kauai Marrott hotel in Lihue, Kauai. They have a commanding view of the Nawiliwili Bay. The bay is a beauiful body of water on the lower east coast of Kauai. The restaurant offers great view of waves, swimmers and surfers while enjoying a nice Italian meal. Duriong our mail a harpist began playing beautiful music that included all of the old standard Italian song and some more modern popular songs. That was truely unexpected. As a note they take credit cards but do not take any gift cards. Overall our meal was a great night out for the two of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mebournian's reviewMelbourniansDined on 11/7/2013Cafe Portofino offers a great view out over the bay with a pleasant breeze to help keep us cool. The Maitre D was welcoming and our waitress was cheerful and helpful with suggestions. The food was excellent. Recommended to all people visiting from a cruise ship and looking for a good meal and pleasant surroundings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PassablePensacolaVIPDined on 11/5/2013The food, service and ambiance were all average but nothing special. For the price, I would not recommend and we did not consider it to be fine dining.Special Features:
- Great Italian in KauaiMarilynVIPDined on 10/15/2013We had a wonderful evening at this nice restaurant. We were served by a lovely lady named Tee (not sure how it is spelled) who was gracious, funny, and very service-oriented. We all ordered something different and all of our meals were delicious. The wine glasses were never empty and we never had to ask for anything. The menu is extensive, but many great choices and I had a hard time choosing. We will definitely recommend this and return when we are back on the island.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed green salad was blandSharKaLaniDined on 10/13/2013Mixed green salad was bland and not flavorful. Shirmp with Lemon sauce was great but pricey and would have preferred to have it with pasta.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I expectedKauaiTravelerVIPDined on 10/12/2013We found this place surprisingly good, in spite of the fact that it is attached to a Marriott hotel. I ordered the linguini with tomatoes, olives and capers. It was very good. My tablemate ordered the veal piccata. Good. However, the carpaccio was a great disappointment. Carpaccio is my one very favorite dish that I always order when it is on the menu. But this one was made from brasciole (which the menu stated). I'd never had brasciole so thought it might be interesting. It was not. Rather dry and uninteresting. Specials seemed too contrived and over-wrought so we stayed away from them. The selection of Italian wines was okay. We did choose one we liked. All in all, it was a nice evening. Not super expensive. I would recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location, good foodrobmac2811Dined on 10/11/2013We had a great experience at Portofinos. The food was well prepared well and very tasty. I had the veal with a side of pasta very delicious. My wife had the pasta with the asparagus. Excellent. Not an extensive wine list but adequate. While on island check it out, you will not be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Invisible DinersTimGDined on 10/5/2013The host wanted to seat my wife and I next to a loud table of four though the place was mostly empty. After we got another table we sat ignored for 20 minutes. We walked out and went next door to Duke's, where although they were packed, got us a great table right away. We had a great meal with attentive and fun service. As we walked out of Portofino, the host asked "what happened?" as if we knew why we were being ignored. Duke's was still packed when we left and we saw that Portofino was deserted. Telling, no?
- Italian FlavorsCC60VIPDined on 10/5/2013Well situated restaurant but nowhere near as popular as the casual fare restaurant next door. Food is well prepared and plated nicely. Food is tasty but portions are small and pricey. Gusty winds on the terrace forced us to change to indoors where the atmosphere was too stark and quiet. Waitress was almost overly attentive. Early bird offer is available if seated by 6;00 pm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.