700 West Fifth St.
Los Angeles, CA 90071Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.cafepinot.com/
- Phone: (213) 239-6500
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Monday and Tuesday: 5pm – 9pm
Wednesday and Thursday: 5pm – 9:30pm
Friday and Saturday, 5pm – 10pm
Sunday, 4:30pm – 9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kevin Meehan
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wine
- Catering: For off-site catering, please call Cristina Romano | 213 405 0005
A word from Cafe Pinot
A lush green landscape, tranquil fountains and a remarkable view of the downtown skyline make Cafe Pinot one of LA's most cosmopolitan restaurants. Our executive chef draws inspiration from the garden setting, creating light, elegant dishes that highlight the best of each season. The restaurant features exquisite patio and indoor dining, offering the perfect setting to complement an evening at the Music Center or Staples Center.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Cafe Pinot - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Cafe Pinot reviews from OpenTable diners
103 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (82)fit for foodies (51)great for lunch (42)special occasion (42)romantic (40)scenic view (27)neighborhood gem (27)good for groups (27)notable wine list (18)great for brunch (13)hot spot (3)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Excellent Food, Even Better ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/20/2014Great restaurant in the heart of downtown Los Angeles. Excellent food and the service is even better. Carlos, our waiter, was over the top. Attentive in every way. Knowledgable, friendly, and goes out of his way to accommodate and create an excellent evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- beautiful atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/20/2014A great restaurant where you can actually have a nice conversation without shouting. Wait staff were just wonderful without attitude. Got us to our show on time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always good; accommodated a small birthday gestureEBConnectDined on 11/19/2014Service was very good and they accommodated my request to surprise one of my guests with a post-lunch sweet with a birthday candle. I will happily keep coming. I often choose the daily Spa Menu. Have always loved it - but this time it just wasn't quite as good as usual, to my taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hard to find the first visitOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/18/2014When directions were requested, the answer was not helpful!! Next to the library is only helpful if you know where the library is. On 5th street on the left after Grand would have helped. We spent over 20 minutes looking for the valet parking while using the same lame directions given, even after calling for more details upon not finding the restaurant. The service and the manager were extremely nice. Watch out for the spicy items, they are very hot.Special Features:
- Best of the Pinot GrouplunchbunchVIPDined on 11/12/2014Having tried most of the other downtown venues run by the Pinot Group. I still come back to the Cafe. It's the best food, most beautiful location, easy parking . The service is excellent and it is quiet. I have been there with groups large and small, lunch and dinner and am never disappointed. They are always accommodating if you are going to the theater or a library event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual eleganceManger4funDined on 11/7/2014This is a very pleasant place, relaxed elegant atmosphere, very good food and friendly, professional but not pretentious service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing mealOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/7/2014I've dined here many time. The Roasted Butternut Squash Panini was mediocre at best. Not much flavor and the bread was rock hard.Special Features:
- Cafe PinotBBBTFBDined on 10/17/2014always love that roasted chicken with fries!!!! Friendly waiters... shuttle to the Disney Hall for a concert right on time!Special Features:
- Lovely LunchPookieDined on 10/15/2014My coworkers and I celebrated my one year anniversary here. We had lunch. The bill was $135 and then tip, so it was not cheap! But our service staff was A+, the food was excellent and the outdoor patio at lunch is so nice and relaxing. I would definitely go there on a date or special occasion; or just with family and friends for a nice meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awful tableRaviDined on 10/10/2014Made reservations far in advance. The place was empty when we walked in. Yet, we were seated by the front door, behind the hostess station. Heard the phone ringing and people coming and going all through dinner. Very disappointing. For a $200 dinner for two, there are LOTS of other places where you'll be treated MUCH better. Will not go back.Special Features:
- Lovely summer diningSTONEHENDined on 10/6/2014A perfect place for a downtown dinner on a balmy night. The patio was quiet (except for the occasional helicopter overhead). Four of the five of us had fish - all excellent. The service was attentive, the nice part of dining on a Monday night when restaurants are generally quiet.Special Features:
- Great kale saladDelishDined on 10/6/2014We shared a kale salad for an appetizer. It was soooo good. I would get this as a full meal it was that good. I'll be glad when the construction is done around them (not their fault).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tedocVIPDined on 10/2/2014Have always enjoyed this restaurant & go there frequently when going downtown to plays,musical events,etc.;however our last experience on Thursday night was quite a change & not for the good. The food was suprisingly tasteless & insipid & appeared to be overcooked & dryed out. Perhaps an off night in the kitchen but the service also failed. Sat at our table for 15 minutes before being acknowledged. Had to refill our own wine glasses multiple times,& the service was very slow,even though they knew we needed to catch a7:30 shuttle. They assured us we would catch this shuttle(we didn't) & if we were late they would call the shuttle for a later pickup. (they didn't). Overall poor &chaotic service. . Major disappointmentSpecial Features:
- nice food...but left hungrydiner14VIPDined on 9/30/2014The decor is very nice and is in a nice location within a park in the middle of downtown LA. The food is very good, but the entrees were so small that after spending $200 for the 2 of us we went to Bottega Louie and split a sandwich after dinner.Special Features:
- Good food - great viewMsmsDined on 9/25/2014View of library and downtown was great and the service was attentive for those planning on the library program that nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- eclectic menu....great food.DaveVIPDined on 9/25/2014Nice ambiance and good for a business lunch or romantic evening.Special Features:
- Use to be a favoriteRogersVIPDined on 9/23/2014Service good. Out of too many things on a Tues at 5:30pm.Special Features:
- Still A Great Dining ExperiencemikethewineguyDined on 9/17/2014Each visit to this restaurant has been good to excellent. The food is always well executed and delicious. The service is thorough and attentive without being distracting. The menu delivers standard fish and meat dish with plenty of creative touches. The noise level is low compared to most Los Angeles restaurants, and the outdoor patio seating offers a nice ambiance (as long as you aren't there during rush hour). This is a well run restaurant and compared to other high end restaurants in the Patina group, a good deal. The wine list is solid and fairly priced. A good choice for dinner downtown, especially if you are going to a show at the Music Center (shuttle service runs directly from the restaurant).Special Features:
- DonSDined on 8/28/2014Great view and excellent food. We've been here many times and come back to sit on the patio or at the one indoor table that is placed in an alcove open to the mcGuire Gardens.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bad nightneveragainVIPDined on 8/22/2014It was my birthday dinner, bread was stale and cold, risotto was cold and tasted terrible, sent back, pork was too salty to even eat, never will go back
- Ambiance, food, staffGourmandiseDined on 8/22/2014Very, very beautiful and yet comfortable ambiance, excellent food, professional and helpful staff, a menu with enough variety to please, but not overwhelming. We will make this a welcome and exciting part of our special occasions whenever we can!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Ordered the risotto with scallops. The risotto was uncooked and soupy. No plans to go back to this place. Homeless people can be seen directly where we were seated, very unappetizing.
- Comfortable for 1diningadventure10Dined on 8/21/2014I was solo this evening, but well taken care of by wait staff and not shuttled into a corner. Thank you, great service with care.Special Features:
- well run restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/19/2014good food good service.....got us in and out in time for the theater!!! Would go back in a heart beatSpecial Features:
- a fine experiencelike2eatDined on 8/19/2014The menu was very interesting, the food perfectly prepared, and the service excellent!Special Features:
- Perfect for lunch or dinnerLoveLAfoodDined on 8/19/2014I love Cafe Pinot for its serene ambience and exquisite lush, shaded, landscaped setting, nestled in the gardens adjacent to the Central Library. I the daytime, it is beautiful, and at night, magical. When it's dark outside, the trees are illuminated with tiny white lights, and the surrounding skyscrapers offer their ambient glow. It feels like I'm in New York! My friend had the kale salad which she thoroughly enjoyed, along with her iced coffee. I had a ceviche dish (can't remember the exact name) that was incredibly fresh and delicious. My iced green tea was perfect. Our bread was fresh, and the butter was soft. We loved our lunch! Cafe Pinot exemplifies the very best that L.A. has to offer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was so-soNotToPleased2dayDined on 8/18/2014The trout was bland. The potatoes were ok and the potatoe chips from baby potatoes...really. The waitress was a bit enthousiastic about the dukkah sauce but there was some narrow circle of green surrounding my food but no discernable taste of spices as she promised. My husband is Middle Eastern and I cook ME foods so was anticipating a spicey taste to elevate the blandness of the trout and potatoes. I had never been to Cafe Pinot and was taken there by my new boss. The atmosphere is nice. The locate is nice and covenient. The waitress was attentative.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always refinedJoeandrobinlawsVIPDined on 8/16/2014The staff is always engaging but not intrusive. The food and wine are both excellent. As a couple who dines out frequently, we highly recommend this beautiful restaurant. The outdoor dining is also one the best in the Los Angeles area.Special Features:
- MandiVIPDined on 8/9/2014From soup to nuts everything was wonderful. The service was friendly and attentive, the food was as good as always, and the setting on the patio was lovely.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/9/2014A good spot prior seeing a play up the hill. An easy walk, but they have shuttle service. The menu is small, but the food was well done and flavorful. The service was spot on. Very nice. Thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinnercharlieVIPDined on 8/9/2014We celebrated our 36th anniversary here and everything was absolutely perfect as always.Special Features:
- great outdoor diningterryDined on 8/8/2014celebrated 44th wedding anniversary on the patio at cafe pinot. nice barriers to traffic noise but at times, a little noisy from groups gathered in front of the library. carlos, our server, was nothing short of fantastic with recommendations and timing of courses. all food and desert items were terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/1/2014Consistently good, excelent service. A great setting for a Downtown L.A. lunch meetingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1300 reviews are from the Cafe Pinot reviews archive.
- The food is nicesimpDined on 7/25/2014We've tried the dine L.A. menue - $20 for 3 course and the quality of food is worthy for money. The Yellow corn risotto with scallop is delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dineLA at Cafe Pinotyolo48Dined on 7/24/2014No complaints about the service. dineLA offerings for appetizer and entrees were good, just was not impressed with the dessert. There were 2 selections and I opted for the one with the chocolate. Presentation wise it was a disappointment. It looked like the pastry chef crumbled a brownie, a chocolate bar and in between placed a chocolate pudding. Quite unimaginative and boring! Surprising for the level of the restaurant, and even if it was dineLA price it could still have been made exceptional. Had over 4 dineLA dinners and this one failed the most in the dessert category. Otherwise enjoyed the hanger steak and the staff were exceptionally wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sandyandjohnDined on 7/23/2014Everything was excellent. However, something happened in the kitchen to cause a delay in bringing our entre' to the table. Manager compensated by taking care of our tab.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect!MinouyeDined on 7/23/2014I took a client to Cafe Pinot to take advantage of dineLA prefix lunch at $20. Choice of each category had good enough selections made you think twice. As a woman, portion was perfect to clean dishes ... I hate waste foods. Very creative and nicely presented. Over looking at the courtyard was adding great atmosphere, although we had to share that with little smelly people ... (actually not too bad) The client I took, he made a group luncheon reservation on following day at exit, he MUST loved :)Special Features:
- dine LA Lunch at the CafeladinersDined on 7/22/2014Our overall experience (group of 7) is 3 stars. Service was very good and depending on which lunch dishes ordered was either excellent, or average. The hanger steak and jidori chicken were absolutely delicious, but the risotto portion was too small and didn't have enough scallops. The lime bar/sorbet dessert was excellent, but the chocolate dessert was disappointing. Our table was ready and we were seated and attended to quickly. Water refills took a while, but the servers were considerate and courteous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice eveningWestDined on 7/18/2014The lights in the courtyard are magical and romantic. Eating at the Cafe Pinot was a great experience.Special Features:
- Dine LA menuGroupie423Dined on 7/18/2014We had the Dine LA menu and it was delicious although, like most LA restaurants, medium rare is much too rare. We sat outside and it was a lovely evening and everyone could hear everyone else at a table for 6. So unusual. Our waiter was a bit inattentive bit we made it to our show on time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.