700 West Fifth St.
Los Angeles, CA 90071Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.cafepinot.com/
- Phone: 2132396500x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Monday and Tuesday: 5pm – 9pm
Wednesday and Thursday: 5pm – 9:30pm
Friday and Saturday, 5pm – 10pm
Sunday, 4:30pm – 9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kevin Meehan
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wine
- Catering: For off-site catering, please call Cristina Romano | 213 405 0005
A word from Cafe Pinot
A lush green landscape, tranquil fountains and a remarkable view of the downtown skyline make Cafe Pinot one of LA's most cosmopolitan restaurants. Our executive chef draws inspiration from the garden setting, creating light, elegant dishes that highlight the best of each season. The restaurant features exquisite patio and indoor dining, offering the perfect setting to complement an evening at the Music Center or Staples Center.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Cafe Pinot - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Cafe Pinot reviews from OpenTable diners
110 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (87)great for lunch (51)special occasion (50)romantic (47)fit for foodies (46)neighborhood gem (29)scenic view (27)good for groups (26)great for brunch (22)notable wine list (15)hot spot (8)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (3)Show More
- Good food - great viewMsmsDined on 9/25/2014View of library and downtown was great and the service was attentive for those planning on the library program that nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- eclectic menu....great food.DaveVIPDined on 9/25/2014Nice ambiance and good for a business lunch or romantic evening.Special Features:
- Use to be a favoriteRogersVIPDined on 9/23/2014Service good. Out of too many things on a Tues at 5:30pm.Special Features:
- Still A Great Dining ExperiencemikethewineguyDined on 9/17/2014Each visit to this restaurant has been good to excellent. The food is always well executed and delicious. The service is thorough and attentive without being distracting. The menu delivers standard fish and meat dish with plenty of creative touches. The noise level is low compared to most Los Angeles restaurants, and the outdoor patio seating offers a nice ambiance (as long as you aren't there during rush hour). This is a well run restaurant and compared to other high end restaurants in the Patina group, a good deal. The wine list is solid and fairly priced. A good choice for dinner downtown, especially if you are going to a show at the Music Center (shuttle service runs directly from the restaurant).Special Features:
- DonSDined on 8/28/2014Great view and excellent food. We've been here many times and come back to sit on the patio or at the one indoor table that is placed in an alcove open to the mcGuire Gardens.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bad nightneveragainVIPDined on 8/22/2014It was my birthday dinner, bread was stale and cold, risotto was cold and tasted terrible, sent back, pork was too salty to even eat, never will go back
- Ambiance, food, staffGourmandiseDined on 8/22/2014Very, very beautiful and yet comfortable ambiance, excellent food, professional and helpful staff, a menu with enough variety to please, but not overwhelming. We will make this a welcome and exciting part of our special occasions whenever we can!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Ordered the risotto with scallops. The risotto was uncooked and soupy. No plans to go back to this place. Homeless people can be seen directly where we were seated, very unappetizing.
- Comfortable for 1diningadventure10Dined on 8/21/2014I was solo this evening, but well taken care of by wait staff and not shuttled into a corner. Thank you, great service with care.Special Features:
- well run restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/19/2014good food good service.....got us in and out in time for the theater!!! Would go back in a heart beatSpecial Features:
- a fine experiencelike2eatDined on 8/19/2014The menu was very interesting, the food perfectly prepared, and the service excellent!Special Features:
- Perfect for lunch or dinnerLoveLAfoodDined on 8/19/2014I love Cafe Pinot for its serene ambience and exquisite lush, shaded, landscaped setting, nestled in the gardens adjacent to the Central Library. I the daytime, it is beautiful, and at night, magical. When it's dark outside, the trees are illuminated with tiny white lights, and the surrounding skyscrapers offer their ambient glow. It feels like I'm in New York! My friend had the kale salad which she thoroughly enjoyed, along with her iced coffee. I had a ceviche dish (can't remember the exact name) that was incredibly fresh and delicious. My iced green tea was perfect. Our bread was fresh, and the butter was soft. We loved our lunch! Cafe Pinot exemplifies the very best that L.A. has to offer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was so-soNotToPleased2dayDined on 8/18/2014The trout was bland. The potatoes were ok and the potatoe chips from baby potatoes...really. The waitress was a bit enthousiastic about the dukkah sauce but there was some narrow circle of green surrounding my food but no discernable taste of spices as she promised. My husband is Middle Eastern and I cook ME foods so was anticipating a spicey taste to elevate the blandness of the trout and potatoes. I had never been to Cafe Pinot and was taken there by my new boss. The atmosphere is nice. The locate is nice and covenient. The waitress was attentative.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always refinedJoeandrobinlawsVIPDined on 8/16/2014The staff is always engaging but not intrusive. The food and wine are both excellent. As a couple who dines out frequently, we highly recommend this beautiful restaurant. The outdoor dining is also one the best in the Los Angeles area.Special Features:
- MandiVIPDined on 8/9/2014From soup to nuts everything was wonderful. The service was friendly and attentive, the food was as good as always, and the setting on the patio was lovely.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/9/2014A good spot prior seeing a play up the hill. An easy walk, but they have shuttle service. The menu is small, but the food was well done and flavorful. The service was spot on. Very nice. Thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinnercharlieVIPDined on 8/9/2014We celebrated our 36th anniversary here and everything was absolutely perfect as always.Special Features:
- great outdoor diningterryDined on 8/8/2014celebrated 44th wedding anniversary on the patio at cafe pinot. nice barriers to traffic noise but at times, a little noisy from groups gathered in front of the library. carlos, our server, was nothing short of fantastic with recommendations and timing of courses. all food and desert items were terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/1/2014Consistently good, excelent service. A great setting for a Downtown L.A. lunch meetingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food is nicesimpDined on 7/25/2014We've tried the dine L.A. menue - $20 for 3 course and the quality of food is worthy for money. The Yellow corn risotto with scallop is delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dineLA at Cafe Pinotyolo48Dined on 7/24/2014No complaints about the service. dineLA offerings for appetizer and entrees were good, just was not impressed with the dessert. There were 2 selections and I opted for the one with the chocolate. Presentation wise it was a disappointment. It looked like the pastry chef crumbled a brownie, a chocolate bar and in between placed a chocolate pudding. Quite unimaginative and boring! Surprising for the level of the restaurant, and even if it was dineLA price it could still have been made exceptional. Had over 4 dineLA dinners and this one failed the most in the dessert category. Otherwise enjoyed the hanger steak and the staff were exceptionally wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sandyandjohnDined on 7/23/2014Everything was excellent. However, something happened in the kitchen to cause a delay in bringing our entre' to the table. Manager compensated by taking care of our tab.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect!MinouyeDined on 7/23/2014I took a client to Cafe Pinot to take advantage of dineLA prefix lunch at $20. Choice of each category had good enough selections made you think twice. As a woman, portion was perfect to clean dishes ... I hate waste foods. Very creative and nicely presented. Over looking at the courtyard was adding great atmosphere, although we had to share that with little smelly people ... (actually not too bad) The client I took, he made a group luncheon reservation on following day at exit, he MUST loved :)Special Features:
- dine LA Lunch at the CafeladinersDined on 7/22/2014Our overall experience (group of 7) is 3 stars. Service was very good and depending on which lunch dishes ordered was either excellent, or average. The hanger steak and jidori chicken were absolutely delicious, but the risotto portion was too small and didn't have enough scallops. The lime bar/sorbet dessert was excellent, but the chocolate dessert was disappointing. Our table was ready and we were seated and attended to quickly. Water refills took a while, but the servers were considerate and courteous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice eveningWestDined on 7/18/2014The lights in the courtyard are magical and romantic. Eating at the Cafe Pinot was a great experience.Special Features:
- Dine LA menuGroupie423Dined on 7/18/2014We had the Dine LA menu and it was delicious although, like most LA restaurants, medium rare is much too rare. We sat outside and it was a lovely evening and everyone could hear everyone else at a table for 6. So unusual. Our waiter was a bit inattentive bit we made it to our show on time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good but...bruceVIPDined on 7/18/2014We came for DineLA lunch. I have been here before and the food can be hit and miss, you just hope you get a hit. The soup was good, the burrata was good, but the halibut crudo was bland and uninspired. Not sure if it was under seasoned or not fresh or what. The corn risotto and the steak with salad were both excellent dishes. They had run out of the menu desserts (bad planning?), so they substituted two fruit desserts, which were ok. My wife complained about the flies buzzing about, but the manager just said "oh yeah sorry" when we mentioned it. I understand the inside is open to the patio, but flies are annoying. She also said the carpet was smelly. It's not my first choice to return as there are consistently better choices available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Offered what they didn't deliverOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/18/2014They ran out of the dessert that was offered with the DineLA menu halfway through their lunch service. I had ordered it at the beginning of the meal to ensure I received it but the waitress couldn't be bothered to make sure we were taken care of. The food was ok, not as good as I'd hoped and I needed to make repeated requests for water. They gave me no reason to return.
- Cafe Pinot ReviewCitydinerDined on 7/18/2014I was disappointed and expected more from the restaurant. The food descriptions needed clarification from the server. They ran out of the desserts we wanted. I don't know if I will return to the restaurant.Special Features:
- DineLA WeekDISAPPOINTEDDined on 7/17/2014We came here for DineLA week lunch, and their menu is different from what indicated on Patina Restaurant's website. Portion is really tiny small, and the wait to get the whole course meal is about an hour. We had reservation, but waited 20 minutes in order to get seated. When we get seated, service wasn't attentive, we had to flag down the waiter for starter (bread and butter), and he did not check back often to ask what else we needed. Service just really slow, and so for the foods. We have the halibut Crudo, it was so fishy (served in raw), and the way the fish diced/cut was grained and hard to chew on. This restaurant is not recommended by me if you're interested to dine.
- Amazing Dine LA ExperiencerensocalDined on 7/17/2014A must do if you are downtown. It's right by the library and has outdoor seating. We had an amazing lunch and absolutely loved everything. The service was friendly and nice. I can't say enough about the food. Outstanding experience.Special Features:
- Dine LA ExperienceJMedinaDined on 7/16/2014Atmosphere was great. Service was very good. Arrived early and hostess seated us early. Which was very nice. Waiter and other staff are very attentive. Appetizer was delisious but steak entree had very little flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- almost perfectcathchie15Dined on 7/15/2014Cafe Pinot is one of my favorite restaurants in L.A. they have always been perfect. From food to great service. But this time around the food took longer than usual. We had to ask for more bread just so we won't have an empty table & have something to eat while we drink out wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/15/2014Have been to Cafe Pinot several times and never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cold & UnseasonedDixie051VIPDined on 7/14/2014I came here for lunch on Monday and was really disappointed with the food, especially sines it's a Patina Group restaurant. My guest & I shared 3 starters that were decent but our main courses were the beef which was cold (literally) and I had the chicken which was sadly under seasoned.
- Not what it used to beLAstateofmindDined on 7/5/2014We have been coming to Cafe Pinot for many years. It is in such a wonderful location, next to the library downtown. Love to sit outside on a warm summer night surrounded by highrises and the library. However, the food has definitely gone downhill. It used to be "fit for foodies" but is now, the menu and the food is uninteresting and seems perfunctory. Unfortunately, we have had similar experiences the last few times we have eaten here. We will now begin the search for other downtown restaurants with patio seating to satisfy our "foodie" urges when we are in the neighborhood or in an downtown LA state of mind. BTW, other downtown eateries we love are: Church and State, WP 24.Special Features:
- Downtown excellentmrandmrsoVIPDined on 6/26/2014Excellent wait staff. Good menu, moderately priced (for such good food). I'm not a "patio" person; but the outdoor dining area is just beautiful here, both during early evening (still having sun) and when the sun goes down. Having the Public Library entrance so close is a big plus, too. It's worth a look-see at the Library before or after dinner. We ate here before a reading at the Library and the waiter made sure we'd be served and finished on time. Three of us dining loved our choice: striped bass for two of us; pork chop - all GREAT.Special Features:
- BerkyBerkyDined on 6/25/2014Wonderful evening with great service, food, atmosphere and convenient for downtown visitors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TastelessNinerGirlVIPDined on 6/18/2014Tasteless asparagus salad and tuna salad thank goodness English pea soup and mushroom soup was good. We have been to this restaurant for lunch and dinner several times.Special Features:
- AwesomeOrgasmicDined on 6/15/2014It was so great that I'd seriously consider shooting my load next time! Damn it was orgasmic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.