2649 Connecticut Ave NW
Washington, DC 20008Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cafeparadisodc.com/
- Phone: 2022658955
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Daily: 4:00pm - 10:00pm (11:00pm in the summer)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Samer Zeytoun
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We specialize in serving large groups and often cater corporate events. Please contact Walid Zeytoun to discuss menu items available in large format for your next catering need (WZeytoun@hotmail.com) or call 240-418-6647.
- Special Events: Elegant and modern--large, private room with exclusive bar available for private event rental. Customize your own menu and different bar menus available. Private bartender available upon request. MC set up available for private music and microphone use.
We specialize in: engagement parties, rehearsal dinners, and wedding parties.
A word from Cafe Paradiso
Family-owned Italian restaurant (20+ years) offering fresh, creative, & exquisite northern Italian cuisine in a modern, yet elegant setting. Highlights include: daily homemade pasta, fresh and inventive seafood entrees, veal or filet mignon for the meat lover, and an extensive wine selection not to be missed!Continued
We are steps from Metro, boast a spacious outdoor dining patio, and look forward to serving you!
We are steps from Metro, boast a spacious outdoor dining patio, and look forward to serving you!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cafe Paradiso reviews from OpenTable diners
8 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (3)neighborhood gem (3)fit for foodies (2)special occasion (1)romantic (1)hot spot (1)good for groups (1)Show More
- Outstanding serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/29/2014Café Paradiso expertly handled a group of 14 diners. The food was sent to the table quickly, wine was poured when needed, special dining needs were accommodated. The noise level was pleasantly conducive to good conversation. Food was excellent, and reasonably priced. Nice décor. Overall, this was a very nice dining experience. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 39 reviews are from the Cafe Paradiso reviews archive.
- Adequate but not exemplarydiningxplorerDined on 6/21/2014Had a nice meal. The service was very good, very personable, and not intrusive. The food was good, but not exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious!SarahDCDined on 5/22/2014I came here for my graduation dinner with a bunch of out of town family. There werea lot of picky eaters in the bunch, but for once no one had anything but compliments about the food! The homemade pasta was absolutely delicious. I had the seafood ravioli, and the lobster sauce was so good I asked for more bread so I could get all of the sauce. The only thing I would recommend is trying to sit outside if possible. The inside of the restaurant seemed a little dark, and kind of had ugly carpets. We sat outside though, so none of that mattered. Overall, I will definitely be coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love this place!VIP2VIPDined on 5/18/2014The Woodley Park area is starved for good food. Caffe Paradiso comes to the rescue. Try the grilled fish or the linguine with clams or the thinly sliced veal in white wine and capers. The staff is fabulous. Inside seating or outside seating, this place works!Special Features:
- Good FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/16/2014The sea bass was perfect. Good wine choices. Service was slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotHappyDined on 5/11/2014Very accommodating staff, very good food, and a very convenient location close to major hotels and the Zmetro.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Great VisitOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/10/2014We visit Cafe Paradiso on our visits to DC. The staff is always welcoming and the food always excellent. The location is also convenient and enjoyable for outside dining.Special Features:
- MediocreRSTdineDined on 5/10/2014My companions and I really wanted to like this place but the fact of the matter is the food was mediocre. The pastas were lacking good flavor. My friend's pasta sauce (marinara) was tasteless, not seasoned. My vegetable lasgna was goopy, if that's a word. I suspect it had been around a while, the consistency ws pasty and not fresh. The rosemary bread was good. The service was ok, waited a long while to take our order but they were busy.
- Visit Cafe Paradiso everyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/3/2014Visit Cafe Paradiso every year, as its within walking distance of an annual meeting location. This vsit was not as great as we have enjoyed in the past. The weather may have contributed. Two of us had Veal that we both found a bit "greasy" and not tender. Pretty sure we were mistakenly poured caffeinated coffee too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Date SpotDCer20005Dined on 2/14/2014This was a perfect spot for our Valentine's Day dinner this year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Paradiso reviewEdrudoreDined on 1/27/2014We actually ate here twice while at meetings in Washington DC. It is a short walk from either the Omni or the Marriott Wardman Park hotels. Dining is generally a half level up, which on cold nights is great, because any cold air entering the front door stays below the dining level. Intimate atmosphere, great service and very good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Go To neighborhood restaurantVIP2VIPDined on 1/15/2014When I feel like a good veal scallopini or a delectable moist salmon on a bed of soft potatoes, I walk over to Woodley Park and go to Cafe Paradiso. My table mates tell me everything else is also good but I never vary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected gemLauraVIPDined on 12/10/2013Was in DC for business and went out at 8:39p on a Tues night looking for a decent meal. Looked at posted menus outside and saw Cafe Paradiso had positive Open Table reviews. I was very glad I stopped. I knew I wanted fettucine but not exactly what I saw on the menu. The waiter offered his suggestion of substituting fettucine for rigatoni in a dish with broccoli rabe, olive oil, grilled shrimp and shaved parmesean. It was delicious! The bread had rosemary in it, and with the olive oil, was a perfect started. Dessert was a house made cannoli; crispy shell and delicious filling. Service was prompt without feeling rushed. A perfect meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rude WaiterDCis4DiningDined on 11/23/2013The waiter was rude and would not bring the check when it was asked for at the table. Instead, he tried to upsale on coffee and dessert--and I understand there is nothing wrong with that--but then went off in a huff when we said we did not want any and made us wait 20+ minutes for the check.
- Large GroupDrDrewDined on 10/29/2013We had a reserved a large table for 12 a couple of nights in advance. The reservation was fine and everything was set when we got there. I think our waitress was a little green, since when the head of the party checked in with her, she never really caught on that he would be ordering the wine and appetizers for the table. It was almost comical, because the guests at the other end of the table would keep telling her to ask but she kept going back to them. Another example would be after he ordered the wine she started to pour it at the other end of the table without anyone sampling it. So a couple of dings on service but the food was first rate. I had the veal it was fantastic and we had an assortment of appetizers that were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simple, fresh Italian mealsVIP2VIPDined on 9/23/2013Simple, fresh Italian meals prepared to perfection. Not a large menu but just enough to satisfy one's longing for the Italian basics.Special Features:
- A gem in this neighborhoodCushingDined on 8/19/2013You can almost miss it, but look for Cafe Paradiso squeezed between the many small eateries on this block. Great menu, decent prices, and a wonderful warm owner (205-yr veteran in the biz) who takes an interest in his guests. They are professional and efficient in their service, generous in their portions and the chef has presented some delicious combos. Consistently good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delightful staff...MACTVIPDined on 8/19/2013...ambience,and food, especially if you're hosting friends/families visiting the city.Special Features:
- Head was buzzing...OpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 6/25/2013This place has so much potential. The food was delicious, the service was great...but the acoustics are really challenging. It was SO loud. Seemed like every little clink of a fork echoed. There was a constant buzz that left my ears ringing for awhile after our meal.Special Features:
- Consistently a highlightVIP2VIPDined on 6/18/2013Cafe Paradiso is an oasis in a row of mediocre restaurants on Connecticutt north of Calvert. The food is good, the service friendly and efficient and the ambiance both inside and out is great. I love their veal scallopine and my husband never overlooks one of their great pasta dishes.Special Features:
- A short walk from our hotel,DisappointedDined on 5/15/2013A short walk from our hotel, just steps from the Woodley Park Metro red line. We opted for the outside table to enjoy the city scene. Our server was delightful, helping with recommendations from the menu, attentive and charming. We loved her! highly recommend the Chilean sea bass - yum!Special Features:
- Good Time!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/4/2013We met local friends here because it was close to our hotel (Omni Shoreum). What a great choice for a spring Saturday night. They had just changed their specials to a spring/ summer list. My sea bass was excellent as was the tortellini. Homemade pasta! Appetizers were good and our outdoor seating was fun! Wine list plentiful. As mentioned in other reviews, the servers were a little too anxious to move us through the meal, but we didn't let them and it all worked out great. I'd go back again, but remind the service help that there is a balance between not enough attention and too much. Take the lead from the customers. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brought another couple forCharlesVIPDined on 4/11/2013Brought another couple for dinner. We were on time for our reservation but still waited 25 minutes at the bar for a table to open up. Waiting at a bar is not normally a bad thing for me - but the bartender was apparently use to pouring wine and beer. My Sazerac was unidentifiable and companions bourbon old fashion was served without fruit. What??? For dinner, my Caesar dressing was OK but the sauce on the Fettuccini Primaverde reminded me of box macarroni and cheese. I left half behind which is very rare for me. There are too many other restaurants in the area - try one of them
- A nice evening with the familyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/4/2013The food was excellent, the service was excellent until they forgot our second round of drinks....made up for it with a round on the house. They were very accommodating for our son. Great place if you are staying in that neighborhood. Pasta dishes were very good.Special Features:
- Service was too attentive/fast,NeighborDined on 3/22/2013Service was too attentive/fast, servers seemed to be at our table constantly, food arrived very quickly, whole meal felt a bit rushed. Food was decent, but nothing exceptional.
- Food and service were veryRanchmanDined on 3/16/2013Food and service were very good. Our only negative was they rushed us through our dinner in only 40 minutes- start to finish. We would have enjoyed a more leisure dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Standby TransformedVIP2VIPDined on 3/5/2013Cafe Paradiso has been transformed into a true neighborhood gem. The new look is fabulous, sleek, warm woods, great little bar with bar tables by the window and the food was an absolute winner. The veal saltimboca was delicate and just the right portion. I overheard other dinners complimenting the wait staff on the quality and presentation of their own dishes. Friendly, friendly, friendly.Special Features:
- The only thing I didn't likeDesireeVIPDined on 2/17/2013The only thing I didn't like was the wine list ran by the bottle & it did not show any "by the glass" prices. It wasn't as bad because we had a big enough group to finish a bottle.Special Features:
- Delicious food, pasta mainHarryfVIPDined on 1/19/2013Delicious food, pasta main course was not very large. Waitress wasn't very knowledgeable, even brought the wrong wine in the beginning and didn't provide answers to the questions, possibly because she was new? Maitre D' on the other hand was outstanding and friendly.Special Features:
- I had lunch here during aOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/14/2013I had lunch here during a busy conference. I made a reservation ahead of time and when I arrived they had a table ready for us. The food was good, the service was good but a bit rushed. That's understandable given that the place was packed and the conference attendees were lining up at the door waiting for tables.
- Be sure to visit!WVWaltDined on 11/12/2012Excellent service, well-prepared food and a wine list containing some excellent Chiantis. Wonderful pasta and excellent calamari; prepared perfectly. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:
- A very nice place for a businessDonaldVIPDined on 10/5/2012A very nice place for a business lunch. Food is good, Service attentive. Atmosphere pleasing. Staff very accomodatingSpecial Features:
- Very good pizza in Greektown.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/19/2012Very good pizza in Greektown. The menu is varied, and the salads and appetizers are excellent. Worth a visit when visiting Detroit.Special Features:
- The food was really great,OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/8/2012The food was really great, but the service was lacking because the wait person was new and did not know the menu and kept getting our drink orders mixed up. The same drink was ordered 3 times and brought out 3 different ways - how does that happen?Special Features:
- Old StandardxxxxVIPDined on 7/24/2012An "old standard" in this area of Washington DC. The renovation inside (I haven't been to DC for awhile) was very nice. Good food. Good service. Could use an expanded selection of "by the glass" wines.Special Features:
- We got a free dessert andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/7/2012We got a free dessert and drinks because it was my wife's birthday. Staff was very nice and welcoming. We thoroughly enjoyed it.Special Features:
- As always, good food, fairCarolDined on 5/23/2012As always, good food, fair service. Waiter switched during meal but the old/new waiter did not notify us of the change. A "carry out" request wasn't transfered to the new waiter. Had to go looking for him to get the check. And it wasn't particularly busy.
- We sat on the patio and hadDonnaDined on 5/15/2012We sat on the patio and had great service from Erwin. Food and wine choices were wonderful. Definitely will go back next time we are in town.Special Features:
- Was very wary of this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/1/2012Was very wary of this place after reading all the bad reviews and I have to say that my experience was the same. The service was okay, better than many other reviewers' experiences but the food is so subpar that I'm amazed this place manages to stay open. my bf and I shared the 'charcuterie tray for two' which is described as fine Italian meats and cheeses ($15). What came out was a small plate with 4 slices of processed cheese (boars head? Couldn't even distinguish what kind), two small pieces of salami, two pieces of old and discolored ham, a bit of green with calmata olives which looked like they came from a jar, and two pieces of canned and tasteless artichokes. Best to stay away from this overpriced, subpar place.Special Features:
- Cafe Paradiso offered a livingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/31/2012Cafe Paradiso offered a living social voucher which we purchased and use this weekend. We made a reservation on Open Table and when we arrived we were told that we would be charged $2.50 per person for making a reservation online if we wanted to use the living social voucher. We paid the $2.50 charge and used our living social voucher but the food was tasteless and between the quality of the food and the rudeness of our greeting we will not be going back to Cafe Paradiso. I would not recommend this restaurant.