130 E. Main St. (Franklin Tpke.)
Ramsey, NJ 07446Neighborhood:
Contemporary French / AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://cafepanachenj.com/
- Phone: 2019340030x
- Hours of Operation:
M - Closed
T - Th
Lunch 12p - 2p
Dinner 5p - 9p
Dinner 5p - 10p
Sat - Dinner 5p - 10p
Sunday - Dinner 5p - 7p (Prix Fixe Menu only, $44)
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French / American, Vegetarian
- Executive Chef: Chef Kevin Kohler
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Private Room
A word from Cafe Panache
Cafe Panache, located in downtown Ramsey, NJ, has been a top-rated BYO and "culinary mecca" since it opened in 1985. For almost 30 years Chef Kevin Kohler has been tantalizing his clientele with signature dishes - House Made Filet Mignon Ravioli Truffle Butter and Crispy Roast Duckling in Port Wine Sauce. Kohler's menu changes almost daily with seasonal ingredients - producing specials like Lobster in Vanilla Sauce, Artichoke Lasagna, Panko-crusted Soft Shell Crab. Service is "seamless" in an "elegant" "newly-renovated" dining room. Rated Top Restaurant in New Jersey by Jersey Monthly Magazine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cafe Panache reviews from OpenTable diners
112 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (92)fit for foodies (69)romantic (63)neighborhood gem (60)good for groups (11)great for lunch (9)hot spot (4)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)notable wine list (2)great for outdoor dining (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- A great disappointmentNatashaDined on 10/12/2014After waiting to get reservations at this "great" restaurant for a month, sadly it was a great disappointment. The ambiance was lovely. The service was attentive and descriptive of the specials offered. The food was nicely presented. The actual food was highly over salted and average tasting. The cost was expensive considering no alcohol was included in the total amount charged. I would not recommend this restaurant, since there are so many other choices available.
- Amazing! As always.LuvfoodDined on 10/10/2014From the moment you walk in, a great experience. Service is outstanding and food is amazing. Interesting menu with a great variety.Special Features:
- Delicious!explorerDined on 10/8/2014Nice restaurant. Great food. We had nice three course meal and every dish is excellent except my desert is a little over sweet. Maybe it is just me who do not like strong sugar taste. Besides, I did not drink coffee with it and that definitely will help! Overall, it is a wonderful place. Seems a lot business gatherings. There was one group right behind of us and they are quite loud. Service are nice and care. Good experience and definitely will be back!Special Features:
- gailDined on 10/7/2014Always enjoy dining there food very creative and deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/7/20145 for lunch today. Delicious food, impeccable service, great ambiance. Dined for lunch many times and never been disappointed. Great choiceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very very very disappointedJimmypizzaDined on 10/4/2014When first seated I noticed a very limited menu. That's ok. What's not ok is when the waiter proceeds to give us a list of things they are out of. 5 items out of 27 choices. You kidding? However the topper was the one thing I was recommended by associates, read about as a must have and what I wanted to order from the day I made reservations my waiter dutifully informs me that they just sold last When a restaurant takes late reservations they should have food to accommodate those people. Very disturbing and will never returnSpecial Features:
- Quality Top NotchCuisinedepDined on 9/30/2014Excellent fare, preparation, cuisine, preparation, service, intimate ambience. For 30 years they have maintained this level and menus are changed. Perfect for celebrations!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014Cafe Panache is a wonderful, inventive restaurant, with creative, but not bizarre, menu. The use of local produce helps ensure the salads and sides are at peak of season. The tables are far enough apart that you don't feel you are listening to other diners' conversations and enables you to talk to your table mates easily. Service is professional and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but....foodieforuDined on 9/26/2014The usual high standard of food was present....except for the mussels, which sadly, were spoiled...you could tell by the smell. Filet mignon ravioli was as good as ever. As usual, the help was stellar - Sal always does an amazing job.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Duly ImpressedPeterMDined on 9/26/2014We first dined at Cafe Panache some 25 years ago. We enjoyed many meals there over the years. The food was always delicious, the servers became our friends yet were always professional and extremely attentive, and the bonus of being able to enjoy special wines that we had already purchased was a great bonus. For absolutely no reason we had not been back for many years. We had dinner there the other night and were blown away at the quality of our meal. Every course was beautifully prepared, perhaps the best meal we ever enjoyed at the restaurant The service was still awesome, some of our friends were still there. The ambiance had improved as the "new" addition is elegant. We will not let much time lapse before our next visit.Special Features:
- Great food, poor serviceDustygirl1VIPDined on 9/25/2014We come here for special occasions. Over the years it seems a bit clubby. Great service if they know you. You can be completely ignored if not. From the smug host to a waiter that didn't come back to the table until he saw we were not having dessert. We left and went to carvel across the parking lot!Special Features:
- FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/24/2014Food was delicious- we had a party of 3 and got 3 appetizers, 3 main courses, and 3 desserts! Hard to pick from the choices- the waitress was great and helped a lot. Filet mignon with mushroom ravioli, buffalo hangar steak were my personal favorites, and the white mouse with my coffee was a treat too! We went early (530) so it was a little quiet, but it got crowded. Overall, great meal!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConstructivelyCriticalDined on 9/19/2014A birthday celebration - our "go to" for a wonderful evening! Treating friends to their first visit - we were sure to please. After we shared a special appetizer or two, all 4 of us had a different entree - all delighted with their selections. Filet mignon, seasoned and prepared to perfection. Loin pork chop, moist and flavorful. Special fish, creative and delightful. An all time favorite, filet mignon ravioli - always amazing! The service - consistent, friendly, and responsive. Most impressive is the ability to "read" the diners' needs - let them have time, or engage as necessary. Once again . . . a great time!Special Features:
- Excellent for a Special OccasionmoodyfoodyVIPDined on 9/18/2014Cafe Panache is a lovely, elegant restaurant with delicious, beautifully prepared food. It's a wonderful choice for a special occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Skip the appsBzaitaVIPDined on 9/16/2014We loved the double cut pork chop but thumbs down on the caprese salad. The tomatoes were delicious but not the mozzarella which we found sparse and nothing special. Save your money and go straight to the entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DrJohnDrDdinesoutDined on 9/12/2014Panache continues to serve fine, carefully prepared and presented dishes. The front room was a bit noisy with several larger groups, and the servers' station in the same room was distracting, but hell...we came for the food! And it was great, as always! The service was otherwise efficient and unobtrusive...Special Features:
- Very elegant!dinnerismyfaveDined on 9/12/2014We had a wonderful time with our future family, the parents of our son's fiance.The food was delicious! It was a little cool when we walked in but the waiter was very accomodating and turned the air down for awhile so we were comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, As Always!!PhilipVIPDined on 9/11/2014I have been to Café Panache many times, and I am never disappointed. While the menu is limited, the choices are always outstanding. The waiter, as always, was also outstanding.Special Features:
- DatedjudyGDined on 9/6/2014For all the hype this place reminded me of a retirement home . I am sure in it's heyday that this place was all the rage but now it is just dated and boring. The food was standard fair with nothing inventive about it. It was overly salted and pedantic. The decor was embarrassing from ripped or stained wallpaper to a beverage station in the middle of the dining room. Save your money and go elsewhere.Special Features:
- Still great after 30 yearsDionisVIPDined on 9/5/2014It always gets it right. We have never had a bad or even a mediocre meal there. Service is also always excellent. And frankly we love the fact that it is a BYOB.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dr751Dined on 9/5/2014As always everything was top notch at Cafe Panache. I have never had anything at this restaurant that was not excellent. I have dined there many times and I have always loved the food and the service. I look forward to returning in the near future.Special Features:
- att1Dined on 9/2/2014always outstanding. menu selections are varied, service excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConsistentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/29/2014The food is consistently good and the atmosphere is nice.Special Features:
- Consistently OutstandingHillsdaleHalDined on 8/29/2014We went for my fiancee's birthday this past Friday evening. We had warm carrot soup, with a hint of curry, and a nice, cold tomato gazpacho for appetizers. My fiancee's salmon was prepared exactly as she had requested (i.e., not sushi but not cooked to oblivion either). The waitress advised me that the Berkshire pork chop, a special that evening, was big. She was right. It was also excellent, leaving me with no room for desert. I did sample my fiancee's peach ice cream, however. Cafe Panache uses local ingredients that are in season, and that it a big plus. Be aware that there is construction at the nearby Route 17 interchange. Hint: If you can take Franklin Turnpike, do so to avoid delays and aggravation. Bring your own wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall great!Johnx1020Dined on 8/29/2014My girlfriend and I went for her birthday and everything was amazing. The service was great, good was top notch and the overall experience was very nice. Will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dorisfondueDined on 8/28/2014Food and service was excellent. Would definitely recommend it.Special Features:
- As usualJerseyboyDined on 8/26/2014Café Panache continues to excel in all facets of the dining experience. From the ambiance, service, and quality of food you can't go wrong here.Special Features:
- What a find!happydinerDined on 8/24/2014Our group, comprised of 3 couples from central Jersey, Orange County NY and Rockland County NY, is always looking for a place to meet that is "central" for most. We found Cafe Panache from Zagat and what a find! The location is perfect, great ambience, and the food is superb. The halibut and tuna specials were to die for. The service was even better. We are thinking that this will be "our place" from now on. Looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/22/2014What a fantastic dinner! I took my husband there for his 35th birthday, And I can say we'll be back soon! Amazing, fresh, local food. Awesome service! BYOB! Great job Cafe Panache! (dinner for 2 with tip less than $150).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fickle Foodie44FickleFoodie44Dined on 8/22/2014My wife and I have been eating at Cafe Panache for years and have never been disappointed. The food is superb, always delivered to the table piping hot and the host and wait staff who have also been there for years, are always friendly and attentive. My friend is a chef, thoroughly enjoyed his meal and paid many compliments to Kevin Kohler's preparation and presentation of each dish. Kudo's Kevin & Staff. Please keep it coming!Special Features:
- simply wonderfuldelightedduoDined on 8/21/2014We can understand why it is going strong after 30 years. Having read the NJ Magazine article my husband had to have the halibut. The restaurant lives up to it's reputation. Would go back in a heartbeat even though it's 90 minutes away. Well worth the trip.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemLuvtoDineOutDined on 8/19/2014This was my first visit to a much acclaimed local restaurant. Both entrees were excellent, Mahi Tuna and Filet Mignon Ravioli. Appetizer, Hot Grilled Shrimp w/Avocado was good, but only 3 shrimp for $16. The service was exceptional. However, we stated in our reservation online, that we were first time diners, so, one would think we would be given a nice table location. Not the case, first we were put in the corner at a very small table, then when I asked if we could possibly move, the table was larger but it looked into the kitchen. This was a special occasion celebration, so our table location was very disappointing. Also, not sure it was worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, Not GreatFishPoppDined on 8/15/2014The last time we went to Panache, my meal was just alright but my Husbands was great. Since people speak so highly of this place, we gave it a second chance. This time the meals were both just ok. Since there are so many choices in downtown Ramsey with fantastic food, at this price point Panache is out of the running. We won't be returning.Special Features:
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014Café Panache has been a (no so) quiet gem in downtown Ramsey for 30 years.... They continue to amaze with a great menu, tremendous food and knowledgeable staff.Special Features:
- Overall good placelovetoeatDined on 8/11/2014I would have rated it higher, but the duck portion I had was dry. The pork chop was very good, but some of the seasonings they put together didn't marry wonderfully. Nice quiet place. Service was fine, but just didn't feel 100% welcoming. So good place overall if you don't mind a few things that would make it great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- surprise delighttoxdocDined on 8/10/2014but when we drove in and saw the site, we were disappointed,it was at the corner of a strip mall. On a Sunday in the summer, there were only a handful of dinners and are we ever glad we found the place and they stayed open. The décor was subtly stylish, the wait staff consisted solely of a waitress and a bus boy, but it turned out that is all that was needed. The dinner menu is not extensive but there are adequate choices. The seasonal salad was cool and crisp with a delicious citrusy dressing, the Scottish salmon grav lox melted in your mouth. the crispy fee range chicken was done superbly and the fish was cooked perfectly. the lemon tart was delicious. we will go back and bring our food snob friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Should be named Cafe Amazing!BT27Dined on 8/8/2014The night was perfect. My wife and I travel all over the state for food. After saying that, Cafe Panache is in my top 3 resturants in the state. Service was tremendous. Recommendations were spot on. I had the special Soft Shell crab and it was unreal. Loved the staff, and the food. Recommend this place to anyone looking to have an amazing dining experience and that won't break the bank either. Tremendous restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hart2Hart50Dined on 8/8/2014We have never been disappointed in our dining experience at Café Panache! The experienced owner/chef speaks volumes for the professional and polished presentation. It was a lovely way to spend our 50th Wedding Anniversary Dinner. Keep up the great work!!!! You are a rare gem.Special Features:
- Great EveningBigEasyDined on 8/8/2014Wonderful evening with very thoughtfully prepared menu. Enjoyed the ambiance, the constant attention, and most importantly the food. No disappointments from appetizer to entree to dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014Diner with a friend was a great time. Service was wonderful staff could not have been nicer. Food was wonderful and different. If your looking for something special this is the place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.