Cafe of India
4909 Wisconsin Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20016Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $30 and under
Cafe of India
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.cafeofindiadc.com/
- Phone: 2022441395x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Monday - Friday 11:30 am -2:30 pm Saturday & Sunday 12:00pm -3:00pm ; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Indian
- Executive Chef: Navjot Singh
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Our private dining area seats up to 45 people.This dining area is perfect for special group celebrations, small birthday parties, or professional business meetings.
- Private Party Contact: NAVJOT SINGH 3016090386x
A word from Cafe of India
Cafe of India's menu features a bevy of alluring flavors and palate-stimulating spices.Our guests are greeted by a warm atmosphere, and friendly courteous staff .Cafe of India offers an extensive wine selection, a wide variety of domestic and imported beers; especially Indian beers. The decor is elegant,warm,inviting and very romantic. We put our full effort to avoid long delays while they are being seated and their food is being prepared. our gracious, knowledgeable servers delight you with their uncanny ability to anticipate your every need.We are here to provide exceptional service. Cafe of India has two levels for your dining experience. We want our guests to leave with the desire of coming back soon.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerIndian
Cafe of India - Best Restaurants in Friendship Heights ›
Cafe of India reviews from OpenTable diners
24 reviews since June 28, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (19)fit for foodies (7)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (2)notable wine list (1)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)romantic (1)special occasion (1)Show More
- Always yummySherryDined on 10/11/2014Café of India has become are "go to place" for Indian food. When we have out of town visitors who enjoy Indian cuisine, we take them to Café of India. Great food, good service and a friendly atmosphere.Special Features:
- Like a whole new placeBorincanoVIPDined on 10/10/2014We tried Cafe of India several times when it first opened a few years ago, and it wasn't very good. During a week without a car it was a handy, walkable option so I figured I'd give it another try. The pakoras were crisp and well-seasoned. Our main courses were terrific, and the portions very generous. The daal makhani was first rate. The naan was terrific. Overall a first-rate experience, and very affordable. Like a whole different restaurant! It's definitely back on the list of neighborhood go-to places.Special Features:
- Indian delightPadreDined on 8/28/2014I had a friend from India here visiting the US and after several weeks here with native cooking I took him out to the Café of India for dinner before he left for home. Food was very good! He loved it. Service was fine -there was not much a crowd so the two servers were able to handle all the tables. Only bad point -we asked for coffee at the end of the meal and it was absolutely terrible. Everything else was great.Special Features:
- up and comingJoyceVIPDined on 8/23/2014This restaurant deserves a good look. DECORE needs improvement but food is tasty and service very nice. With a little tweaking tis could be as good as Indique or the old standby Heritage India. Keep up the good work and we will keep coming. Service was very good. They gave us another starter when we found the crackling spinach too oily. Spice combos for the salmon and lamb dishes were excellentSpecial Features:
- EnjoyableSherryDined on 8/16/2014Café of India is one of our favorite DC restaurants. Staff is friendly and always remembers you as a regular.Special Features:
- The food was so good I almost criedgoodeatingVIPDined on 8/9/2014We just saw 100 foot Journey so looked for some Indian cuisine to follow. Tried Cafe of India and can't wait to go back. Waiter Tony recommended a Pistachio Chicken dish that almost made me cry it was so good. The bowl returned to the kitchen wiped clean! My husband and I can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- AverageOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/27/2014Nothing special.. Very average food. Saw other reviews and went on birthday date, they didn't do anything special for bday..
- Always a pleasureLauraviolinDined on 7/26/2014Staff is so friendly, food is delicious, reasonable prices. What could be better? It's a go-to place for us in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Neighborhood gemOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/25/2014This place is consistently wonderful. The food is excellent, the atmosphere ambient and the staff wonderful.Special Features:
- Great Indian foodtedmanVIPDined on 7/21/2014Cheerful small neighborhood restaurant. Delicious, reasonably priced. Friendly staff. Near metro, good street parking.Special Features:
- CAFE OF INDIALAMBLOVERDined on 7/3/2014I knew the food would be excellent before I ate there because they had a well-developed menu, the waiters were professional, and the place was nicely decorated. The menu was traditional, but it was special because the spices were very fresh and the meal tasted authentic but not heavy. The appetizers were very creative and excellent at the same time; not over the top. We sat in front of a very colorful Indian mural. It was very relaxing and a good accompaniment to my meal. But my real test for a quality Indian restaurant is the quality of the lamb. The lamb was very lean and melted in your mouth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 237 reviews are from the Cafe of India reviews archive.
- Good service, good cocktailsChipper2VIPDined on 6/20/2014IN addition to reliably tasty Indian food, this restaurant has a variable menu of specialty cocktails that are exceptionally interesting and good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlmostaregularDined on 6/15/2014We have now been to this restaurant several times and have never been disappointed. The food, the presentation thereof, and the service have always been excellent. We especially like the ambiance - tastefully decorated and QUIET!Special Features:
- SherryDined on 5/31/2014Always great service and food is superb!! We visit Café of India at least every two months and the entire experience is great. Our son and grandson were visiting us from out of town and they were very impressed with the food. Our grandson had never tried Indian food and for his first experience he was excited and really enjoyed!!Special Features:
- Really nice time herelovegr8foodDined on 5/30/2014The food was good although the wait staff took a while to warm up to giving attentive service. Too many flies hovering over the buffet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent BYOW IndianStueyVIPDined on 5/26/2014It is hard to find restaurants that allow BYOW, and especially restaurants where the food is good. Cafe of India's food was delicious, and it even had some unique dishes. In particular, I would recommend the crackling spinach, and the nan with cilantro. Also, they make an excellent mango chutney.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for special occasionOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/18/2014Cafe of India was a great restaurant for hosting a decent size group for a special occasion. They were very accommodating to our fluctuating group size and were prepared for our arrival. The food was very good and the staff was very attentive and patient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceLive4foodnmusicDined on 5/10/2014Lots of choices, every dish a success. (We wanted to order three times as many dishes as we did, everything looked so good.) The chili appetizer and the spinach lentil soup (very different tastes) were delicious. The chef's salad was crisp, fresh and plentiful. Chicken vindaloo (nice and spicy) and chicken saag were perfectly done and had us eating long after we should have stopped. Garlic naan had lots of garlic and just the right amount of salt. Server was right there whenever you wanted him, never there when you did not. This is a smaller restaurant with plenty of room around each table so it's perfect for a quiet date or a group feast. You'll come back again and again for the quality of the food.Special Features:
- What a good placeIndianfoodieVIPDined on 5/2/2014Best Indian I have had in a long time. We had all appetizers for dinner (2 each plus onion culcha) and it was plenty. The spinach and date appetizer is tremendous. Mini samosas were better than big ones and chicken tandoori/lamb was great as well. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm It's a very small restaurant which is nice and the service was great. Would be great for a party too!Special Features:
- WIll go againsurfmomDined on 4/26/2014Quiet enough to have a conversation AND good food. They have flash spinach like Rasika's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuzieQDined on 4/24/2014Very good Indian food...with some notable dishes, such as the crispy spinach and the coconut shrimp curry. Excellent service...a great neighborhood restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe of IndiaSMcLaughlinVIPDined on 4/12/2014I liked the food. It wasn't overly spicey and it was served very hot...which I appreciate. My only criticism was that the main course was very slow coming out of the kitchen. The restaurant was only 1/3 booked so it wasn't busy at all. It took over half an hour after our appetizers were devoured to have our main course served.Special Features:
- love this easy neighborhood spotjrockVIPDined on 3/23/2014easy to book, easy to park, easy to enjoy! i love this place, always welcoming and delicious. the only reason i didnt give a 5 for service was because it was hard to get a recommendation from the server when asking between several items. I think it was more a language barrier and I imagine it's hard for a server to know what the customer really wants; which i guess is to just elaborate on the item to help the diner choose. the servers are all polite and attentive and i love a place that tries its best and it shows. yummy food and so great to have it so close by and no parking aggravation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Real Japanese LunchNickVIPDined on 3/14/2014I have only been here at lunchtime (dinner looks more elaborate and expensive) but the Japanese food is authentic and really good--in fact this is one of the places that Japanese visitors regularly come to for a little bit of home. Case closed.Special Features:
- Tasty and Unusual DishesKathyDined on 2/20/2014Lovely neighborhood restaurant with delicious Indian food, very nice service, and a calm atmosphere. The Appetizers such as the crackling spinach are delicious. Something on the menu for everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EhHoodratDined on 2/14/2014Went for V-Day. Food was pretty good, everything else was eh. Nicer then most other Indian places, but I wouldn't be in a rush to send my friends there, let alone my self. Most notable was the slow and cold service.Special Features:
- A great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/14/2014Delicious food, friendly, attentive service and a lovely atmosphere, all for a very reasonable price. We loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, slow service.GoodfoodinDCDined on 2/14/2014Overall the food was good, but the service was pretty slow. The waiter assured us that the food we ordered is supposed to take a long time to cook, but we definitely were not the only ones with long wait-times. I'd suggest going at a time when you aren't super hungry, so you aren't waiting in hunger for a long time before the food gets there. That is my only complaint about the restaurant, though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good with reservationsMillsVIPDined on 2/11/2014The crackling spinach is one of the best things I've eaten! The other food is very good, but the portions are quite small. We ordered the coconut shrimp, and there were a total of four small shrimp in the dish, with lots of sauce. Not enough for the price. I complained, but the waiter wasn't really apologetic. Also, they need to do something with the lighting, which is very bad and unwelcoming. On the whole, though, we like it, as there is not enough good Indian food around.
- Get CracklingmarikoDined on 1/26/2014For sure, the crackling spinach at Cafe of India is a must!! The Ginger Chili Shrimp is also excellent and when I return - and I shall return - those will be the items I order! Other menu items are good - but I'm a creature of habit. This restaurant is definitely one you can enjoy while exploring,Special Features:
- Great findTeeteeDined on 1/25/2014New to the area, I bought a Living Social voucher to try this restaurant out. So glad I did- we can't wait to come back again and again. The atmosphere is lovely and space between tables so that you don't feel crowded. The wait staff is friendly and attentive without being overbearing. Well stocked bar for mixed drinks to start off the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic BuffetBonsTempsRoulentVIPDined on 1/25/2014Fantastic buffet value. Will make this a regular lunch stop during the week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!OrangePeelDined on 1/11/2014My husband and I ate here last month and were delighted to find a stellar Indian restaurant within walking distance of our house. I can't speak to the meat dishes, but the vegetarian dishes we had were much, much better than similar dishes we had at Rasika's a few months prior. The service was good - they were understaffed that evening but did their best to serve us as quickly as possible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable Indian FoodChipper2VIPDined on 1/7/2014I've eaten here many times and the food and service are reliably top notch. Very interesting (if somewhat pricey) cocktails. We tried the okra dish this time for a change and were pleased with this new (to us) Indian treat.Special Features:
- Amazing Indian food!RDawgVIPDined on 1/1/2014I have been living in DC for nearly a decade and have always found it hard to find good Indian food... except for Cafe of India! Amazing food! The Samosa are great the Lamb Roganjosh had vibrant flavors that are delectable . Garlic Naan is sooo good!Special Features:
- Three-time winnercfg1Dined on 12/27/2013I've had dinner here twice and now the lunch buffet. Excellent food and service on all occasions. Very vegetarian-friendly menu and buffet. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasant dining environment21vekaVIPDined on 12/11/2013This is a very nice restaurant - seating very comfortable meaning tables are all well spaced with lots of room around, good for privacy. Just the right amount of low ambient noise, possible to talk quietly at your table but not hearing anyone else. Good food (not as spicy as some say but worth asking for mild). Price more or less comparable to other Indian restaurants in the same area (Indique, Masala Art etc).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Neighborhood RestaurantBBBBDined on 11/30/2013The food was unusual and very good. The wait staff was helpful and cheerful. This was our second time and we will return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ServiceBdubVIPDined on 11/23/2013We ate here on a Saturday night with our 2 year old daughter. The staff couldn't have been nicer or more accommodating. We often get delivery from here, but we will definitely be back to dine in as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some of the best Indian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/15/2013Some of the best Indian food in DC--midway between downtown and resindential prices. Incomprehensibly poorly managed and understaffed. On our most recent visit, there was oone waiter for the entire second floor and all food and drink orders were very slow. We ordered one of the two brands of bottled Indain beer that are carried and waited 15 minutes becasue it had been put on ice becasue it was not cold. As I say, incomprehensible.I would recommend this to a friend.