Cafe of India
4909 Wisconsin Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20016Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $30 and under
Cafe of India
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.cafeofindiadc.com/
- Phone: (202) 244-1395
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Monday - Friday 11:30 am -2:30 pm Saturday & Sunday 12:00pm -3:00pm ; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Indian
- Executive Chef: Navjot Singh
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Our private dining area seats up to 45 people.This dining area is perfect for special group celebrations, small birthday parties, or professional business meetings.
- Private Party Contact: NAVJOT SINGH 3016090386x
A word from Cafe of India
Cafe of India's menu features a bevy of alluring flavors and palate-stimulating spices.Our guests are greeted by a warm atmosphere, and friendly courteous staff .Cafe of India offers an extensive wine selection, a wide variety of domestic and imported beers; especially Indian beers. The decor is elegant,warm,inviting and very romantic. We put our full effort to avoid long delays while they are being seated and their food is being prepared. our gracious, knowledgeable servers delight you with their uncanny ability to anticipate your every need.We are here to provide exceptional service. Cafe of India has two levels for your dining experience. We want our guests to leave with the desire of coming back soon.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerIndian
Cafe of India - Best Restaurants in Friendship Heights ›
Cafe of India reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (17)fit for foodies (6)great for lunch (2)special occasion (2)kid-friendly (2)romantic (1)Show More
- I tend to avoid buffets, butOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 12/9/2012I tend to avoid buffets, but for Cafe of India I made an exception because I wanted to sample everything. Glad I did! Chicken Makhani - excellent/flavorful. Naan - warm and soft. Puri - crisp, not greasy. The daal, spinach, and jasmine rice were excellent. Our server was appropriately attentive. Would certainly return for another good dining experience.Special Features:
- Some of the best Indian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/30/2012Some of the best Indian food in the city! I will definitely be going back soon!!
- Great Indian Food!smilenenjoyVIPDined on 11/9/2012A favorite of mine and the staff is kind enough to remember. That extra touch of service goes a long way. I took a friend here for her birthday, needed a place where a well-behaved but young pre-schooler could feel comfortable and this fit the bill. A special dinner while ensuring our young friend wasn't disturbing to other guests.Special Features:
- We have now enjoyed severalAlmostaregularDined on 11/8/2012We have now enjoyed several excellent dining experiences at the Cafe of India both for lunch (= very fine buffet) and dinner. We especially apprciate the quiet, comfortable, and serene atmosphere. Menu choices we highly recommend include, but are not limited to, the Tava Eggplant appetizer, the Crackling Spinach Chat, and the Mint Chicken Tikka and Lamb roganjosh. As an extra treat be sure to order the Bread basket with a side of the Mixed ChutneysSpecial Features:
- The food was great, with manycfg1Dined on 11/3/2012The food was great, with many vegetarian and vegan options. We appreciated the excellent service overall. The staff was especially helpful and patient with our large group that ended up arriving later than planned.Special Features:
- Best Indian Food in DCDCDinerVIPDined on 9/18/2012The best Indian food in DC. Don't be fooled by the small cafe atmosphere--this is first class, innovative and delicious Indian fare.Special Features:
- Absolutely delicious withOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/13/2012Absolutely delicious with very distinctive combinations of herbs and spices and lovely sauces. Our favorite was the Vegetable Korma, but Chicken Tikka Masala and Aloo Gobi were also yummy. Nan is a bit heavy, but nice flavor. Some of the best Indian food that we have ever had. Excellent value too.Special Features:
- Food was amazing. We orderedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2012Food was amazing. We ordered only vegan dishes and every one was delicious. Waiter was very helpful in choosing the vegan dishes as the menu had a separate vegetarian section but not a vegan section.Special Features:
- Very good meal. ParticularlynicknameVIPDined on 8/10/2012Very good meal. Particularly enjoyed the crackling spinach chat.
- Lovely neighborhood place,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/4/2012Lovely neighborhood place, fine Indian cuisine, courteous service, and a comfortable ambience. Reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Lovely Evening OutOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/28/2012Two of my friends and I went to Cafe of India last night and had a lovely evening. The dining room small but the restaurant had a comfortable feel. All the servers were very friendly and personable, much more so than at most restaurants. We had the butter chicken, chicken vindaloo, and a chicken and rice dish recommended by our server as well as a bread basket. The food was very good. The best part was the mango lassi, which was delicious.Special Features:
- The quiet atmosphere reallyAlmostaregularDined on 7/27/2012The quiet atmosphere really adds to an enjoyable dining experience. Thank you.Special Features:
- Wonderful meal with attentivetulipVIPDined on 7/13/2012Wonderful meal with attentive service and calm pace. Made a meal of various appetizers and each was a gem. Terrific addition to the community.Special Features:
- Reliably high quality IndianChipper2VIPDined on 7/11/2012Reliably high quality Indian food. Only complaint was that the amount of actual lamb meat in my raganjosh was meager.Special Features:
- I am so happy this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/6/2012I am so happy this restaurant is in the neighborhood. I am Indian, so can be picky about Indian food, but this place is great. Try the dosas and anything with lamb. I also had a work party on the upper floor and the owner was great about coming up with a menu that fit my budget. It was a big hit with my colleagues!Special Features:
- The food was incredible forOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/5/2012The food was incredible for the price. They were just getting over the power outage so the beer selection was limited but manageable. The only Indian restaurant I have been to in the city with better food was Rasika, but you need reservations weeks in advance and the price point is much higher. I will definitely visit Cafe India again, it was incredible!
- Very nice -- wish they wouldDCPattieVIPDined on 6/22/2012Very nice -- wish they would serve thalis, though.Special Features:
- The Cafe of India is my go-toOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/19/2012The Cafe of India is my go-to local restaurant. The service is gracious, the setting is attractive and the food is delicious. The lunch buffet is always excellent and very nicely presented.Special Features:
- A nice neighborhood IndianOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/10/2012A nice neighborhood Indian restaurant. Comfortable, quiet, good food, pleasant atmosphere. Some items not found on most Indian restaurant, such as a crispy spinach chat --- yum.Special Features:
- Disappointing in all respectsOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/20/2012This has been our go-to Indian restaurant so we were very sorry to have a bad meal. The service was simply terrible, thanks to a poorly trained young waiter and the food was not up to par. The chicken tikka masala was unusually spicy and dry, the crackling spinach was greasy, the nan was crispy and the samosas were bland. What happened???
- Our Neighborhood FavoriteBlueDined on 4/14/2012The best part of Cafe of India is the food. It's very, very fine, from appetizers to main dishes. Prices are moderate--and lower than most other good Indian restaurants in DC. The dining room is pleasant, with plenty of comfortable booths as well as well-spaced tables. The service is very attentive and the maitre d' friendly and helpful with the menu. This was our fourth visit to the place and we always find parking nearby and have our reservations honored without a wait (the latter is frequently not the case with Cafe of India's competitor in the same neighborhood. Great place and we'll be going again soon.Special Features:
- The food here was inedible.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/23/2012The food here was inedible. I really want these guys to succeed. The people seem really nice, it's close to my office, and they have masala dosa on the menu. I'm Indian and neither my mother nor I are any good at making dosas, so I'm always looking for them. The food had no spice at all--it was almost sweet. The chaats we tried were boring--no exciting varied textures. The masala dosa made me want to cry, it was such an injustice to my Southern Indian roots--the dosa was way too thick and soggy, the subzi was basically yellow mashed potatoes (completely flavorless), and the coconut chutney and sambar did nothing to save them... even some salt would have helped. This place has no hope of surviving unless they get a new chef.
- We went for their lunch buffet,JaydeeVIPDined on 3/20/2012We went for their lunch buffet, which was excellent. Sometimes the food on buffets is iffy, but yesterday their's was served hot and was delicious. we will be back.Special Features:
- Been there several times andannfromdcDined on 2/19/2012Been there several times and this was the best meal ever - all three of us agreed. They even had a hot enough chutney for the guest who likes REALLY HOT.
- I had a 7:30 pm Valentine'sOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2012I had a 7:30 pm Valentine's Day reservation and arrived a few minutes after that time, but there was noehere to sit and the wait would have been a half hour according to the person that greeted me. So I left and was upset. I spent an hour trying to find somewhere else to eat.
- Food was very good. The roomOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2012Food was very good. The room was freezing and they were unable to regulate the temperature, after we asked repeatedly. It took over an hour for our food to be arrive.Special Features:
- Service was a little slow.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/9/2012Service was a little slow. I had to flag down the waiter everytime.Special Features:
- Food was very good but itOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/4/2012Food was very good but it takes a while to get it and apparently wine is not big with Indian food; it was very difficult to get a bottle of white wine. Original server claimed they were out of all the bottles and we could only get it by the glass, finally the fella in charge came up with a bottle of Chardonnay.Special Features:
- We enjoyed Cafe of India .OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/25/2012We enjoyed Cafe of India . Food was well prepared and wait staff was helpful in directing us to choices. This is a real neighborhood gem that we will visit again and soon.Special Features:
- Great little Indian RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/19/2012Great little Indian Restaurant in the Chevy Chase/Friendship Heights neighborhood. Service is average, but the food is quite good. I haven't been back to Indique Heights since finding this gem. Quality Indian food for a modest price.Special Features:
- Wonderful food, but stillSuzHMackDined on 1/19/2012Wonderful food, but still have some kinks to work out. Understaffed with seemingly little experience. Lighting at dinner was challenging. Couldn't read the menu clearly and felt like I was eating in the shadows. The dining room seems clean and well designed, but maybe that's because it was dark. Too bad...after eating the food, was really pulling for this place.
- This is the second time we'veOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/6/2012This is the second time we've gone to Cafe of India. The first time we had a very good experience - food and service. This time the service was so bad we considered leaving in the middle of the meal. We were there for 2 and 1/2 hours because it took ages to get drinks, menus, appetizers and our entrees. I doubt we'll go back after this last experience especially since there was no recognition by the restaurant that there was a problem. No apology or explanation. I can't remember ever having such bad service at a restaurant.
- This restaurant is outstanding.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/4/2012This restaurant is outstanding. The service and food are always incredible.Special Features:
- D.C.'s best Indian food @ any priceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/31/2011This is D.C.'s best Indian cuisine at any price. This isn't the usual Indian fare, but regional dishes exquisitely prepared by the owner/chef. We go regularly because of the consistent quality of the food. The service is usually great, but I have been there a few times when the service has been slow. No problem though, just gesture for your waiter to come to the table, and you're off to a great experience.Special Features:
- Pretty solid choice for IndianArlingtonianVIPDined on 12/13/2011Pretty solid choice for Indian food. The interior is more attractive that you might expect from the store front. The fried spinach starter had deep flavor and was delightfully crisp. Lamb Korma came in a thick sauce that was complex, but seemed a bit too salty to me. The chick pea chole was well cooked -- the garbanzos were neither mushy nor hard. I probably would say 3.5 on the food. It took a very long time for our meals to come out of the kitchen. They were a bit busy, and I am sure everything is cooked to order, but it was almost 40 minutes before we got our appetizers.
- Food is always good. MenudjakartaDined on 12/9/2011Food is always good. Menu goes beyond normal fare. Staff was overtaxed.
- An Oasis Where the Diners SmileOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/9/2011We were delighted with our lunch, the setting and the service. An exceptional appetizer is the crispy spinach, a dishunlike anything we ever had. Delicate, delicious and fresh.Special Features:
- Good samosas. Very good chickennixiedcVIPDined on 12/6/2011Good samosas. Very good chicken dishes. Good meat dishes. Garlic naan very good. Physically beautiful restaurant.Special Features:
- We'll come here again!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/6/2011A lovely, lovely place with a lovely, lovely staff and wonderfully delicious food. We had a great time here and the staff were very accommodating. It needs the business because unfortunately nearly all the "gems" in this neighborhood serve similar kinds of food--so skip the Cheesecake Factory and have yourself a really special experience here instead!!Special Features:
- When we arrived, there seemedOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/3/2011When we arrived, there seemed to be only 4 people working in the entire restaurant. Every table was sat, but no one seemed to have any food. We waited at our table ungreeted for about 15 minutes, after which we left and went somewhere else. I was disappointed as I had looked forward to this dinner.