One Citizens Plaza
Providence, RI 02903Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafenuovo.com/
- Phone: 4014212525
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Brian O'Donnell
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Rotunda available for weddings and banquets. Restaurant available Sundays for private functions and private luncheons on Saturdays. Platfom available for smaller business dinner meetings. Please call for capacity.
- Private Party Contact: Dimitri 4014212525
A word from Cafe Nuovo
Casually elegant Cafe Nuovo, at the Gondola Landing on Providence's famed Riverwalk, has been hailed by the New York Times and singled out by the Providence Journal as "RI's contribution to world class dining." The scenic waterside setting is matched only by the "fresh, seasonal flavor of Cafe Nuovo's contemporary American cuisine and heavenly dessert creations." Through glass curtain walls or while dining al fresco on the piazza, patrons enjoy attentive service and commanding city views while the river and gondolas roll by. Free valet parking evenings. **Sunday Open for Waterfire, Graduations, some Holidays or private functionsContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Cafe Nuovo - Best Restaurants in Providence ›
Cafe Nuovo reviews from OpenTable diners
158 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (121)great for outdoor dining (109)scenic view (95)romantic (85)fit for foodies (78)notable wine list (39)good for groups (37)great for lunch (29)neighborhood gem (26)hot spot (24)late-night find (17)vibrant bar scene (15)great for brunch (9)kid-friendly (7)Show More
- Grows with my 4 year oldDrudajuDined on 9/13/2014Very good with my 4 year old. Made him a juice cup with tupper wear. No kids menus but made him pizza and offered to make just about anything for him. Food was outstanding. Nice place to eat with group of people and bring your child if no baby sitter available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LocalisbestDined on 9/6/2014The dinner was presented beautifully. The seafood portion size was very small 2 scallops and two shrimp. I'm glad it was me a petite person who ordered it or an additional snack would have been needed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Dining ExperienceCaptainBeyondDined on 9/6/2014The service and food were outstanding. Everything from valet parking, reception, bar, table, and server converged to make the entire dining experience exceptional. We will be back.......soon. The menu selections were diverse, appealing to a wide variety of pallets. Because of the driving, we had wine by the glass and the house recommendations were superb.Special Features:
- Excellent Service and FoodFredVIPDined on 9/6/2014Visited here on a Saturday night. Started our meal with a 10 inch pizza of the day - which was thin crust - imaginative mix of toppings (no tomato sauce and mozzarella) and wonderfully crisp and tasty. Both entrées - a tortoloni dish and a bouillabaisse were also great.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/5/2014Great anniversary dinner. Beautiful view on Waterfire route. Delicious. Our server was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding DinnerLocalDinerVIPDined on 9/4/2014We have dined several times at Cafe Nuovo and have always experienced a top-tier evening. The ambience, food and service are all top-shelf. Valet parking makes it worry-free to drive into Providence.Special Features:
- Loved Cafe Nuovo!PunkinbitsDined on 8/30/2014We went to Cafe Nuovo to celebrate college graduations. We had 7:00 dinner reservations for outdoor seating. We were seated right away. Our waiter, John B., was excellent! He was attentive and always kept our wine glasses full. His suggestions for wine and food were perfect. All courses were nicely spaced out and not rushed. All meals were hot and prepared to perfection. I was not disappointed in anything at Cafe Nuovo. It might be pricey but you get what you pay for and it was worth every penny spent! I can't wait to go back again!Special Features:
- Always GreatFive0Dined on 8/30/2014I normally don't do reviews but I eat out often in the most highly rated restaurants and lately I have not been satisfied with many but we truly enjoyed a wonderful evening of fine dining this past Saturday with family so I thought Café Nuovo should get the kudos they deserve. As always the service and food were tremendous. The Crispy Sushi and Oysters were fresh and delicious, Duck Parpadelle, Lamb shank and Veal chop were superb. Cocktails to desert was a 10+. The restaurant was very busy but the service staff and kitchen did not miss a beat. I noticed the Host serving food and setting up to make sure everything was just right. Everyone there treats you very respectfully. Best restaurant in Rhode Island.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fine dining experiencealpinegardenDined on 8/30/2014For a large and busy restaurant, our experiences here have always been on the higher level of a small, boutique establishment. We can even carry on conversations in a normal tone of voice. The service is as attentive as in smaller places, with well-trained staff. The food has always been delicious and carefully prepared. A measure of any restaurant's capability is risotto, and Nuovo always has three on the menu - and the ones I've enjoyed have been everything a risotto should be. My last dessert was a bit of a disappointment, but that's a minor quibble... and won't keep me from returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinnerCNBarb14Dined on 8/29/2014My husband took me there for a birthday dinner. We will be back soon. The atmosphere, service and food was outstanding. The location is ideal.Special Features:
- Must Try!TJMCCDined on 8/28/2014Excellent food and service!! Outside dining area right along the river is very nice. Bar area a bit cramped but energetic and well stocked. I would definitely dine here again!!Special Features:
- Café Nuovo - great experienceDinerN1Dined on 8/25/2014Recently had a wonderful dinner at Café Nuovo in Providence, RI. It is always excellent there, so when we had family from out of town visiting, we wanted it to be sure to have a exceptional dining experience and it was. Great food, great view, wonderful experience. One of the best RI restaurants.Special Features:
- Slow serviceLuv2EatVIPDined on 8/23/2014We had a 6:30 reservation during the day of the Waterfire show. The restaurant was busy and it took almost 2 hours for the food to come. We had to rush through the food to catch the rest of the show. Food was good but we could've gone somewhere else if we knew service is this slow. If you want to catch the show, beware of the slow service if you don't get an outdoor seating.Special Features:
- Excellent food and service...2dinersVIPDined on 8/23/2014As usual the food and service were excellent, despite being packed by Water Fire and a private reception. Food service was probably a bit slower than usual, but we don't mind a leisurely meal. Wondering if the the restaurant could use some updating inside, decor seems tired and maybe a restroom renovation too? My husband and I were both in a line 6 people deep at one point :(Special Features:
- Great but not on a Waterfire nightSavvydinerVIPDined on 8/23/2014We had a nice dinner, albeit with a few issues, but contribute that due to the incredibly busy night, because it was a Waterfire night. Ironically, we came here that night BECAUSE of it, however, it backfired because the kitchen was overwhelmed. For the cost we would have liked perfection. For example, my dish came out cold and my husband's special of the evening was overdone. I'm sure that they would have offered to redo it if he had complained more about it, (he mentioned it to our lovely waitress Charlene) but as it was we had waited well over an hour for our entrees to come out. Add that time to the almost half an hour for the salad to appear. The manger Sean, was so nice and offered to quickly reheat my entree, which I took him up on.Special Features:
- Wait staff marvelous - mgnt snootyDivaCarolDined on 8/23/2014The food was delish - the wait staff was attentive but not intrusive - the management was snooty when I asked them for a window seat.Special Features:
- Favorite Al Fresco SpotBruinsRuleVIPDined on 8/22/2014Cafe Nuovo is one of my absolute favorite warm weather restaurants in Providence. While I've never scored outdoor seating for Water Fire, it would be perfect 50-yard line seating. Even on a non-Water Fire night, the outdoor dining experience is the best. There is a Venice-like quality to the experience. Beyond the atmosphere, the food quality and service at Cafe Nuovo are always consistently very good. They have many creative options with interesting plating. They also have a wide selection of more simply grilled items for the less adventurous. Appetizers range from ocean fresh raw bar to a really good escargot and a solid duck confit pizza. Pasta dishes always have interesting twists on the traditional. Desserts are to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChetDined on 8/16/2014great food - lovely location - not a trendy hot spotSpecial Features:
- Amazing food and serviceCraigDined on 8/15/2014I have not dined at Café Nuovo in quite sometime and I must admit it has been my loss. The food is amazing! I started with the crab & avocado appetizer special. The crab was luscious and sweet, I forced myself to share. My friend ordered the sushi appetizer which we would order again & again. Our entrees and desserts were equally delicious. One cannot dine at Café Nuovo without mentioning the topnotch service. Our waitress was attentive and offered wonderful suggestions (like the sushi). I look forward to another evening at Café Nuovo.Special Features:
- Business lunchBusinessDinerVIPDined on 8/13/2014Very good spot for business lunch. Service was excellent and noise level low enough that we could have good conversation. Food was fine, not the focus, but that was okay for our purpose.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly SurprisedVisitor2waterfireDined on 8/9/2014With so many over-priced restaurants that promise more than they can ever deliver, it was refreshing to have a great dining experience with excellent food, very attentive service and a very relaxed atmosphere. Also the staff went out of their way to make accommodations for our children and their limited palates. Over-all great experience! Would highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food great view and menu.gardenladyDined on 8/8/2014We sat outside on a beautiful night. The menu offers a great selection. We would recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey but worth itFrugalfoodieDined on 8/7/2014Really a gem of a place. Food is excellent, and out if the ordinary. Service couldn't be better. Just a little pricey. But if it's a special occasion, well worth the trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConsistencyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/5/2014Cafe Nuovo is simply the most consistent restaurant in the city with regard to menu, service, and quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/4/2014Classy service, exceptional food, and charming canal front table- a winning combination.
- Culinary Excellence!SoSweetDined on 7/26/2014This was the best service of any restaurant I have been to. Our server was so attentive, and very accommodating. The food, fresh presentation and the uniqueness of the combinations assembled was a pure culinary delight! The zucchni and eggplant tower was incredible. I would highly recommend this restuarant the next time you come to Providence. My only complaint would be there are too many tables in the restaurant, making it tough for the servers to navigate the room. The ambiance is hip, great views of the river, and a wonderful way to celebrate any special occassion! fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing ExperienceReviewer516Dined on 7/24/2014Found this spot on Yelp. It was a first class experience from beginning to end. The food was simply amazing in both taste and presentation. Not cheap, but well worth it.Special Features:
- diningDined on 7/21/2014Very good restaurant, service and location. Outside dining was beautiful too look at the water.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014Loved our evening. We were celebrating three events. It was a great eveningSpecial Features:
- Always outstandingStoppedinDined on 7/18/2014Dimitri and his staff consistantly have this place humming. The menu has a little something for everybody and the specials vary with every trip - always something interesting to enjoy. Don't skip the deserts. A must stop in Providence.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Excellent ExperienceHippieDined on 7/18/2014My second visit was also wonderful. The food, entertainment, service, ambience all created another memorable visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week 'Hit'DaveKVIPDined on 7/17/2014We needed to make one appearence at Providence Restaurant Week and chose Cafe Nuovo. All 5 in our party were very satisfied with all 5 stasrtes and entrees being very good to great. It was a nice night and sitting outside would have been nice, but we were fine where we were near the kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit muchMajaDined on 7/17/2014This describes the style of this very traditional restaurant, as well as the food and the general tone of the place. The waitstaff was helpful but too eager to refill water glasses and rushed the service. Food lacked seasoning and imagination.Special Features:
- great night outjodyDined on 7/16/2014Food was excellent! Went there for restaurant week. We had a 3 course meal.....I had the watermelon and arugula salad, the stuffed sole, and sorbet and fruit. Everything was delicious. Our waiter was excellent. Service was timely. Very, very good experience.
- Always good food!JennyDined on 7/16/2014The food is always great at Cafe Nuovo. We had a great server with good suggestions for our dinner selections. It is in a corporate building so the atmosphere feels cold. But we like going when we are passing through Providence for a good meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Doesn't disappointdebgDined on 7/15/2014The cafe ambience even on a rainy sultry summer day was wonderful. Despite it being restaurant week in providence, the portions were very generous and artfully arranged as usual. . Sole on sticky rice with a beet reduction was splendid as well as sirloin tips. A watermelon arugula and feta salad was a refreshing lead in. Cheesecake and chocolate desserts were fine if unremarkable. All in all a great place to meet and eat!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/14/2014Great food, great service!! I would definitely return!Special Features:
- Perfect!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/14/2014I went to this restaurant for lunch and everything was perfect from start to finish. There is parking right out front. Both outdoors and indoors are beautiful. I decided on outside because it was so beautiful right on the river facing the gondolas. My friend was late, but I never felt uncomfortable waiting. The waiter was patient and accommodating and even helped me give her directions over the phone. When she finally arrived, we ordered and the food was so many good choices. The waiter helped me decide on a Bibb lettuce salad with grilled chicken. So good. My friend had a bowl of crab and mussel chowder. Delicious. They didn't mind that we sat there for three hours. It was so beautiful and elegant, yet very warm and welcoming.Special Features:
- Our favoriteMarciRIVIPDined on 7/12/2014Always consistent in quality of food. I have never been disappointed. Nice ambiance too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful outdoor diningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/11/2014Fine dining by the canal with the full moon and a great glass of wine...what more could you ask for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.