One Citizens Plaza
Providence, RI 02903Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafenuovo.com/
- Phone: (401) 421-2525
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Brian O'Donnell
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Rotunda available for weddings and banquets. Restaurant available Sundays for private functions and private luncheons on Saturdays. Platfom available for smaller business dinner meetings. Please call for capacity.
- Private Party Contact: Dimitri 4014212525
A word from Cafe Nuovo
Casually elegant Cafe Nuovo, at the Gondola Landing on Providence's famed Riverwalk, has been hailed by the New York Times and singled out by the Providence Journal as "RI's contribution to world class dining." The scenic waterside setting is matched only by the "fresh, seasonal flavor of Cafe Nuovo's contemporary American cuisine and heavenly dessert creations." Through glass curtain walls or while dining al fresco on the piazza, patrons enjoy attentive service and commanding city views while the river and gondolas roll by. Free valet parking evenings. **Sunday Open for Waterfire, Graduations, some Holidays or private functionsContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Cafe Nuovo - Best Restaurants in Providence ›
Cafe Nuovo reviews from OpenTable diners
141 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (107)scenic view (87)great for outdoor dining (82)fit for foodies (82)romantic (78)notable wine list (39)good for groups (33)great for lunch (26)neighborhood gem (23)hot spot (23)late-night find (11)vibrant bar scene (9)great for brunch (7)kid-friendly (6)Show More
- New chef, new menuLook4gemsVIPDined on 11/15/2014Seems there's a new face in the kitchen and OMG how delicious is the food? Great meal last weekend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe NLion1VIPDined on 11/12/2014Cafe Nuovo has wonderful ambience and a well-trained friendly staff! The food was excellent and our server, Lisa, made several excellent suggestions while being very flexible in making small adjustments to our selections! This restaurant is a WINNER!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!!!!kayceeDined on 11/12/2014A friend and I had lunch here recently to catch up. The experience was just fantastic overall. The restaurant is very elegant and has a great view of the river in Providence. Our server was very helpful and efficient. The food was wonderful. We shared a wedge salad and I had a scallop and pesto linguine special and my friend had the shrimp tacos. We both thought both dishes were delicious. We spent 2 hours eating and talking and we were not rushed in the least. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit and I will definitely be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding as usual!KimMDined on 11/11/2014Café Nuovo is a place I keep coming back to. The food has never been anything other than outstanding and the service is impeccable. Risotto, steak, sides...I always love whatever I order. Love sitting outside along the river in the summer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice spot in Providence!!!campmom22VIPDined on 11/6/2014The service was outstanding in this very lovely restaurant! Food choices were plentiful and everyone in our party really enjoyed their dish! I would highly recommend next time when you are in Providence!Special Features:
- excellentdiningloverVIPDined on 11/4/2014the tuna was fantastic. as was the eggplant medley. service was excellent tooSpecial Features:
- A Providence GemChooseyinriDined on 11/4/2014One of the outstanding characteristics is a menu that is varied and yet the chef executes perfectly on every dish. To begin with seating was prompt and courteous. Our wait person was quick to introduce himself, and despite being a bit over burderned with tables made sure we were not neglected. We were three people that night, and enjoyed great pasta and fish. One of us had a special Bolegnese dish that was outstanding. Too full for dessert which was a shame as they all looked very good.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceSweettoothDined on 11/3/2014Excellent service as well as food quality. The desserts not only have good taste but also very attractive looking. The restaurant is not very large, so you may need to reserved well ahead of time for a group. Perfect location for date nights.Special Features:
- Great Service, Great FoodKats4eatsDined on 10/31/2014Was very happy to see "The Chopped Salad" back on the menu! The service was fantastic. ( Thank you Ken for that!) The food was great. We had a very enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect business lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/31/2014We were catered to in a perfectly inconspicuous way, food delightful, view, open warm, subtle. Just what I was looking for.Special Features:
- New chef onboardLook4gemsVIPDined on 10/25/2014There is a new chef in charge of the kitchen, and the effect has been positive so far. Interesting to see how the menu changes as time goes on.Special Features:
- Excellent mealEmmaMom1Dined on 10/25/2014We had a dinner for 6 people on recent Saturday night with a Waterfire celebration. Though the restaurant was crowded, the noise level was low enough for us to have a reasonable conversation over a several course meal. We ate a broad range of dishes, lamb shank, swordfish, duck, and lobster pasta. All the meals were excellent, as were the salads and desserts. Our server Ted was knowledgeable and helpful.Special Features:
- They treated us so wellDancingspirit9Dined on 10/21/2014We had a large group (12) with a baby and they took great care of us. he food is outstanding and the place is beautiful. I will return for a romantic dinner for two.Special Features:
- Sure to pleaseCosmoDined on 10/17/2014We love cafe nuovo! We recently celebrated our anniversary there . Escargot , veal stuffed rigatoni, veal scallopini were excellent. Their desserts are all wonderful and a work of art.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect if you have all afternoonjcvIIIDined on 10/10/2014I loved the food and ambiance sitting outside, but it took over an HOUR to get food. Not good when this was a business lunch. Messed up my schedule and could have been disastrous had my guests both not had afternoon meetings that happened to cancel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous LunchkayceeDined on 10/9/2014I went to lunch with a friend at Café Nuovo on 10/09/14 and I have to say everything was fantastic. We had a lovely seat by the window (as requested) and our server was friendly and attentive. I ordered the Risotto with Tenderloin. It was absolutely delicious. The tenderloin was very tender, the risotto was very flavorful and the portion size was perfect for lunch. My friend had the tomato soup and a Caesar salad and he was very happy with his selection. I will definitely be going back to Café Nuovo for dinner. I would highly recommend the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wnonderful evening!andrewDined on 10/8/2014The food was very good, the ambiance was outstanding and the service second to none. The drinks were a generous pour. Overall just a relaxing and satisfying evening! AndrewSpecial Features:
- Great Eveningxcel4diningDined on 10/7/2014Café Nuovo made our 36th wedding anniversary celebration very special. We appreciated the restaurant's table arrangement of a semi-circle of candles around the red rosas that I had ordered for the table. The food was superb. We especially enjoyed the pizza special as an appetizer (outstanding). Our entrées were equally of high caliber. We are also grateful for the dessert of ice cream with its platter of "Happy Anniversary" written in chocolate. The restaurant contributed significantly to making that evening (October 7) a very memorable one. We will certainly continue to return to Café Nuovo. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeLuvthisplaceDined on 10/4/2014We have enjoyed cafe novo many times for celebrations and special events. We have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special CelebrationMick27Dined on 9/27/2014The ambiance, service, and meal were outstanding as always. Celebrating a colleague's retirement at Cafe Nuovo made it very special with impeccable service that never made us feel that we were being rushed through the evening. The Veal Scalapine was tender and delicious. The table service of the Sole was very impressive and cooked perfectly. Being able to view the Providence Water Fire only enhanced the entire evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grows with my 4 year oldDrudajuDined on 9/13/2014Very good with my 4 year old. Made him a juice cup with tupper wear. No kids menus but made him pizza and offered to make just about anything for him. Food was outstanding. Nice place to eat with group of people and bring your child if no baby sitter available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid But Not MemorableRegularGuyDined on 9/12/2014We ate well...the Crispy Sushi was notable, shared the Bibb Salad, main courses of fish and beef and dessert. Everything was prepared to expectations, presented well, and our waitress was pleasant and helpful. We finished all the portions so there's no question about our enjoyment. In sum, satisfying.Special Features:
- LocalisbestDined on 9/6/2014The dinner was presented beautifully. The seafood portion size was very small 2 scallops and two shrimp. I'm glad it was me a petite person who ordered it or an additional snack would have been needed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Dining ExperienceCaptainBeyondDined on 9/6/2014The service and food were outstanding. Everything from valet parking, reception, bar, table, and server converged to make the entire dining experience exceptional. We will be back.......soon. The menu selections were diverse, appealing to a wide variety of pallets. Because of the driving, we had wine by the glass and the house recommendations were superb.Special Features:
- Excellent Service and FoodFredVIPDined on 9/6/2014Visited here on a Saturday night. Started our meal with a 10 inch pizza of the day - which was thin crust - imaginative mix of toppings (no tomato sauce and mozzarella) and wonderfully crisp and tasty. Both entrées - a tortoloni dish and a bouillabaisse were also great.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/5/2014Great anniversary dinner. Beautiful view on Waterfire route. Delicious. Our server was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding DinnerLocalDinerVIPDined on 9/4/2014We have dined several times at Cafe Nuovo and have always experienced a top-tier evening. The ambience, food and service are all top-shelf. Valet parking makes it worry-free to drive into Providence.Special Features:
- Loved Cafe Nuovo!PunkinbitsDined on 8/30/2014We went to Cafe Nuovo to celebrate college graduations. We had 7:00 dinner reservations for outdoor seating. We were seated right away. Our waiter, John B., was excellent! He was attentive and always kept our wine glasses full. His suggestions for wine and food were perfect. All courses were nicely spaced out and not rushed. All meals were hot and prepared to perfection. I was not disappointed in anything at Cafe Nuovo. It might be pricey but you get what you pay for and it was worth every penny spent! I can't wait to go back again!Special Features:
- Always GreatFive0Dined on 8/30/2014I normally don't do reviews but I eat out often in the most highly rated restaurants and lately I have not been satisfied with many but we truly enjoyed a wonderful evening of fine dining this past Saturday with family so I thought Café Nuovo should get the kudos they deserve. As always the service and food were tremendous. The Crispy Sushi and Oysters were fresh and delicious, Duck Parpadelle, Lamb shank and Veal chop were superb. Cocktails to desert was a 10+. The restaurant was very busy but the service staff and kitchen did not miss a beat. I noticed the Host serving food and setting up to make sure everything was just right. Everyone there treats you very respectfully. Best restaurant in Rhode Island.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fine dining experiencealpinegardenDined on 8/30/2014For a large and busy restaurant, our experiences here have always been on the higher level of a small, boutique establishment. We can even carry on conversations in a normal tone of voice. The service is as attentive as in smaller places, with well-trained staff. The food has always been delicious and carefully prepared. A measure of any restaurant's capability is risotto, and Nuovo always has three on the menu - and the ones I've enjoyed have been everything a risotto should be. My last dessert was a bit of a disappointment, but that's a minor quibble... and won't keep me from returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinnerCNBarb14Dined on 8/29/2014My husband took me there for a birthday dinner. We will be back soon. The atmosphere, service and food was outstanding. The location is ideal.Special Features:
- Must Try!TJMCCVIPDined on 8/28/2014Excellent food and service!! Outside dining area right along the river is very nice. Bar area a bit cramped but energetic and well stocked. I would definitely dine here again!!Special Features:
- Café Nuovo - great experienceDinerN1Dined on 8/25/2014Recently had a wonderful dinner at Café Nuovo in Providence, RI. It is always excellent there, so when we had family from out of town visiting, we wanted it to be sure to have a exceptional dining experience and it was. Great food, great view, wonderful experience. One of the best RI restaurants.Special Features:
- Slow serviceLuv2EatVIPDined on 8/23/2014We had a 6:30 reservation during the day of the Waterfire show. The restaurant was busy and it took almost 2 hours for the food to come. We had to rush through the food to catch the rest of the show. Food was good but we could've gone somewhere else if we knew service is this slow. If you want to catch the show, beware of the slow service if you don't get an outdoor seating.Special Features:
- Excellent food and service...2dinersVIPDined on 8/23/2014As usual the food and service were excellent, despite being packed by Water Fire and a private reception. Food service was probably a bit slower than usual, but we don't mind a leisurely meal. Wondering if the the restaurant could use some updating inside, decor seems tired and maybe a restroom renovation too? My husband and I were both in a line 6 people deep at one point :(Special Features:
- Great but not on a Waterfire nightSavvydinerVIPDined on 8/23/2014We had a nice dinner, albeit with a few issues, but contribute that due to the incredibly busy night, because it was a Waterfire night. Ironically, we came here that night BECAUSE of it, however, it backfired because the kitchen was overwhelmed. For the cost we would have liked perfection. For example, my dish came out cold and my husband's special of the evening was overdone. I'm sure that they would have offered to redo it if he had complained more about it, (he mentioned it to our lovely waitress Charlene) but as it was we had waited well over an hour for our entrees to come out. Add that time to the almost half an hour for the salad to appear. The manger Sean, was so nice and offered to quickly reheat my entree, which I took him up on.Special Features:
- Wait staff marvelous - mgnt snootyDivaCarolDined on 8/23/2014The food was delish - the wait staff was attentive but not intrusive - the management was snooty when I asked them for a window seat.Special Features:
- Favorite Al Fresco SpotBruinsRuleVIPDined on 8/22/2014Cafe Nuovo is one of my absolute favorite warm weather restaurants in Providence. While I've never scored outdoor seating for Water Fire, it would be perfect 50-yard line seating. Even on a non-Water Fire night, the outdoor dining experience is the best. There is a Venice-like quality to the experience. Beyond the atmosphere, the food quality and service at Cafe Nuovo are always consistently very good. They have many creative options with interesting plating. They also have a wide selection of more simply grilled items for the less adventurous. Appetizers range from ocean fresh raw bar to a really good escargot and a solid duck confit pizza. Pasta dishes always have interesting twists on the traditional. Desserts are to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChetDined on 8/16/2014great food - lovely location - not a trendy hot spotSpecial Features:
- Amazing food and serviceCraigDined on 8/15/2014I have not dined at Café Nuovo in quite sometime and I must admit it has been my loss. The food is amazing! I started with the crab & avocado appetizer special. The crab was luscious and sweet, I forced myself to share. My friend ordered the sushi appetizer which we would order again & again. Our entrees and desserts were equally delicious. One cannot dine at Café Nuovo without mentioning the topnotch service. Our waitress was attentive and offered wonderful suggestions (like the sushi). I look forward to another evening at Café Nuovo.Special Features: