240 West 35th Street
New York, NY 10001Neighborhood:
Latin / SpanishPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://cafenunez.com/
- Phone: 2125647444
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Bar is open until 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Latin / Spanish
- Executive Chef: Rene Hernandez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Dancing, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Takeout, Wine Bar
- Catering: We offer full catering services for any amount of people. We serve in a formal banquet manner and have lots of experience with arranging and hosting parties. Visit Cafenunez.com to see our menu.
- Entertainment: Flaming wing night Wednesdays: 15 cents wings all night and great bar deals Karokee Thursdays: live Karokee and 2 for 1 drinks Latin Fridays: Live Dj and Congo show, $2 drinks for ladies from 5pm - 7pm and $5 drinks for gents form 5pm- 8pm
A word from Cafe Nunez
We serve International Latin American and contemporary American cuisine. Café Nunez’s kitchen is lead by our executive Chef, Rene Hernandez; graduate of arguably the number one culinary institution in the world, El Bulli in Spain. Some our specialty dishes and drinks are the Traditional Paella Valenciana, Peruvian Ceviche, Empanadas, Sweet plantain croquettes, Churrasco steak over our delicately prepared mojito sauce, and the Chilean Sea Bass over Mofonguito. All of the above go accompanied excellently by a glass of traditional Spanish Sangria, a Mango or Passion Fruit Mojito, or any of our hand selected Spanish wines. Café Nunez's ambiance is a mix feel between modern day Latin American and American hip culture. We are particularly known for our exotic hookahs made with fruits and different types of liquors. Overall this restaurant is a great place for a good meal, special occasion, a drink at the bar, Latin dancing, or just to relax.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cafe Nunez reviews from OpenTable diners
- I wanted a Spanish/Latin restaurantOpenTableDiner2013VIPDined on 9/6/2013I wanted a Spanish/Latin restaurant in this neighborhood and the other reviews were not bad. We were greeted by imposing security guardsblocking the door. The music was so loud I mentioned it to the manager and the restaurant is used as a dance club on Thursday and Friday nights (I was there on a Friday). I couldn't carry on a conversation with my friend. We had the Paella for 2. Presentation was beautiful; it was very tasty and could have fed four! Staff members were friendly but with a small, crowded and noisy space, they were not as attentive as I would have liked with filling glasses, checking back, etc. I would not likely return but it looked like the younger drinkers and those going to the dance club were having a great time.Special Features:
- Loud, club-like, great menuOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/8/2013As soon as you approach Cafe Nunez, you hear the music in the back. It's a bit too loud if you're trying to talk to the person you're dining with. The LED lights make it club-esque. Will come back again to partake in their drink specials (2 for 1). My friend and I arrived too late to benefit from it. The size of the menu was great, and so far the food was consistent. Happy that I work close enough to enjoy it for lunch. Plan to come back to have more off their menu.Special Features:
- Like I was a guest at _____'s HouseRichardDined on 6/8/2013It was a late night one summer weekend when I came across this latin restaurant which had fairly latin cuisine (a little cuban here, some puerto rican there and similar) which was what I came to expect for the food, energy (there's a sports bar behind the dining hall which gave it the friend's house effect). The hookas seem to be the star of the show, but it's worth a try if you're up to it. Long story short, authentic food plus hooka equals fun.Special Features:
- Nasty restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/20/2012I walked in ans walked out. Place look filty and greasy. Also server called me to let me know thatmy reservation At 10pm cant be posaible i need to be before 930 for them tl served me
- Oh and service was good asOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/24/2012Oh and service was good as usual My issue was the type of music being played
- Great Find!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/15/2012Delicious sangria. We had a special, and so glad I bought it. The food and drinks were so delicious. They had a DJ playing, we went on a Thursday, music was good. I would definitely return, with or without a special. And my waiter was just the sweetest guy, so polite, and attentive.Special Features:
- When finding this restaurantFrankVIPDined on 10/18/2012When finding this restaurant online it seemed like a nice place for lunch, upon arrival I would not even go in. Can't even imagine why this place is listed on Open Tables site. The restaurant was in need of a facelift your only lunch option was the lunch buffet which was not very appealing.
- While the food was great,rachelbuDined on 10/13/2012While the food was great, the service was poor. It took over an hour to get our food and the same amount of time to get the check. If t had been busy I could understand but there were 2 tables. That was including out party. Poor service all around.
- SIRLOIN STEAK WAS SO TOUGHFoodloverVIPDined on 9/12/2012SIRLOIN STEAK WAS SO TOUGH THAT IT WAS DIFFICULT CUTTING IT EVEN WITH A STEAK KNIFE. OXTAILS AND STEAK WERE TOO SALTY. THE PORTIONS OF GUACAMOLE AND SWEET PLANTAINS WERE HUGE AND THEY WERE BOTH OUTSTANDINGLY DELICIOUS. SAT AS FAR FROM THE BAR AS POSSIBLE, BUT THE MUSIC WAS SO LOUD THAT YOU COULDN'T HEAR ANY CONVERSATION. THE WAITRESS WAS EXTREMELY NICE.
- Behind the curtaindshapusaVIPDined on 8/4/2012For some inexplicable reason Cafe Nunez had a red curtain down the middle of the restaurant. This did not add to the ambiance. In addition the music was blasting away, eventhough the place was almost empty. We asked the waiter to lower the volume, but no response. It is a shame because the food was very good . The Cerviche was first class and portions were largeSpecial Features:
- Not ImpressedalibutoDined on 7/17/2012Music was too loud and angry. Food was over-cooked. Waitress was pleasant but forgot one side dish and didn't check in with us until our meal was done. And there were only three tables worth of diners at the time!
- I have been to this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/16/2012I have been to this restaurant several times this service is good and the food is goodSpecial Features:
- The food was OK but the waitOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/22/2012The food was OK but the wait staff seemed more interested in what was happening in the bar. We were the only ones in the restaurant area and it took for ever to get food.
- It was not the right placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/17/2012It was not the right place for my planned gathering. I thought it was a restaurant. When I got there place was dark loud music on. No one in front to help us out. Their website is misleading somewhat ESP the photos. We left the place and found another one.Special Features:
- A taste of Latin AmericaWallStreetLawyerVIPDined on 3/27/2012I recommend ordering off the take-out menu; the 'prix fixe' dinner menu was much less interesting. Also, they're a little understaffed leaving the waiters with too many tables to manage and probably the kitchen with not enough people cooking the food
- "Energetic" is an inadequateOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/23/2012"Energetic" is an inadequate adjective to describe the inhuman, deafening (literally!) sound level of music broadcast here.
- This place was like a nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/22/2012This place was like a night club. If you are looking to dance and drink its a decent place to go by Penn Station. If you are looking to talk while having dinner, this is not the place. The place seemed confused as far as a theme, latin nightclub / restaurant / hookah bar. There was one waiter for the entire place so it took forever to get anything. We got our main course already cooled.
- The food needed to marinateOpenTableDinerDined on 2/25/2012The food needed to marinate a little more because it was a tad bland, despite being well-flavored and well-cooked otherwise. The service was excellent. I loved the music!
- First they didnt let me knowOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/19/2011First they didnt let me know they were having renervations to the restaurant and I had a big group of people coming. Then we had to wait a while for the food to come, on top of that the food was not cooked properly. Then they had some type of kareokee and it wasnt the best time especially since renervations were being done, I would have rather listened to the music. I do believe they were having problems with the chefs but still a long wait. I can say the waiters were very professional and despite my attitude they were really calm. My best advice when you are having renervations to your restaurant let a person know before reservations are done thats just completely unprofessional.
- pleasant surpriseTastySurpriseDined on 10/27/2011Small quaint good live music a after work hangout spot with delicious drrinksSpecial Features:
- Terrible service. ArrivedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/22/2011Terrible service. Arrived at 9:30, entrees were not served until past 11PM. We won't be dining in this restaurant ever again.
- Small food portions. EXTRAOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/29/2011Small food portions. EXTRA small !!! If they say that they don't have something, don't trust them. Because probably even someone next to you is eating that already. And tip is already included so don't worry they will ask you to leave even extra that!
- AvoidjojothebearVIPDined on 9/24/2011Possibly the worst service I have ever experienced. Too many negatives to list, don't bother.