418 S. Washington Avenue
Royal Oak, MI 48067Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafemuseroyaloak.com/
- Phone: (248) 544-4749
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Everyday: 7:30am - 3:00pm;
Lunch: Everyday: 11:00am - 3:00pm;
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Greg Reyner
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Cafe Muse
At the heart of Cafe Muse is our belief in natural cuisine. We've created a simple, European-style menu that features as many fresh, locally produced and organic ingredients as possible. We've just received the 2011 Spectator Award of Excellence for our wine list. We've also been featured in Esquire Magazine and on The Oprah Winfrey Show.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Cafe Muse - Best Restaurants in Royal Oak ›
Cafe Muse reviews from OpenTable diners
22 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (18)special occasion (9)neighborhood gem (9)great for lunch (6)great for brunch (5)romantic (5)great for outdoor dining (4)notable wine list (4)good for groups (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014Last minute find for us on a trip and an excellent one. Fabulous food fun Atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe MusevinchavoDined on 10/18/2014great service, excellent off-menu beer's, wonderful food.Special Features:
- Wonderful Dining Experiencepinot2001Dined on 10/4/2014I completely enjoyed my dining experience. The service was outstanding. Our server was very professional yet friendly. She recommended basically everything that we had. We split several appetizers and I had the Pork and my husband had the bistro steak. Everything was perfectly prepared and skillfully plated. Our server paired wines with our meals. The entire staff was very friendly. We will definitely be returning. They have a killer happy hour and I've heard their breakfast/lunch is outstanding. This could be my new favorite place.Special Features:
- Great StuffPDouVIPDined on 8/9/2014Wish we could have tried more of the small plates but we got too full! Food was amazing - our waitress was awesome. She steered us on our choices. Next time we need another couple with us so we can try more.Special Features:
- The following 154 reviews are from the Cafe Muse reviews archive.
- great first date spotOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/25/2014What I like about this goofy little place is that the food is kinda quirky. I brought someone there for a first date. Every course we ordered seemed pretty straight forward, but when they arrived there was always a little something extra to the presentation. The flavors and textures were a little unexpected, but great. Long story short, he's totally gonna go out with me again. :0)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Be back soonMaryVIPDined on 7/19/2014Very tasty food. Had scallops.....wonderful. Other couple had short ribs and said "melt in your mouth good"! Will come back to try some small plates.Special Features:
- very impressivetilewizardDined on 6/28/2014We had a 4 top reservation for 730 Saturday and when we arrived there was only 3 tables being used. The tables were very small for a party of 4 but that wasn't an issue. Food was good had the short rib tacos,homemade potato chips and mushroom appetizer with a sunnyside egg on it. entree's I had short ribs which were very good others in our party had ribeye, salmon and scallops. Nice little place it was fairly empty im not sure of the 4th of july preweekend or what. I would returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chef could thrive in Philly or NYCMagsphillyDined on 6/24/2014Was in from Philadelphia to take a friend out to dinner. The food was top-drawer. Inventive, yet not too, too. The problem was the lackluster service. It was never really clear who our server was. The space is beautiful and in New York or Philly they would easily get 8 more tables in there. The high top tables may be a draw on a Friday night, but not for the average dinner patron. They host local artists' work, but the tables are not set-up to maximize viewing. Again, the food was superb!!Special Features:
- Awesome foodFoodieladyDined on 6/21/2014Cafe muse has always been one of my favorite restaurants. I know that I'm always in for a treat when dining there. The food is always deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We wanted to lick our platessuzofgpDined on 6/6/2014Four of us ate here the other night. Our server was so friendly and went out of her way to check to see if the special was still available so we wouldn't be disappointed. We want to come back and have a table outside next time.Special Features:
- will go backwestsiderDined on 6/6/2014My group really liked trying a variety of fresh, different dishes. Everything was great. We plan to go back again to try more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner for 3JeffDined on 5/23/2014Had a great dinner with two of my best friends. Food was not amazing but the service and ambience made it a great time.Special Features:
- bgbgDined on 5/22/2014always a exellant meal. Has a nice selection of craft beers. Beef short ribs are superb! The best in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service, delicious food!McDuffDined on 4/26/2014We have been here a few times for Dinner and brunch and we have always enjoyed our meal and experience.Special Features:
- Great food butbustravlrDined on 4/5/2014The food was great, the selection of food and wine suburb, the prices were more than fair. But, the service was not good and it was very noisy and loud.Special Features:
- Very happy I finally ate hereRandizzle64VIPDined on 3/29/2014While I have heard great things for a long time, life being as it is has sort of kept me from the Royal Oak restaurant scene until recently. My motivation was Restaurant Week, and while i did order off the limited menu, I also indulged in several extra appetizers, including the dates w/chorizo and bacon, and both the short rib and chorizo tacos (both of which were excellent). While I rarely order chicken, my friend did, and I can say that I would order that dish in a heartbeat the next time around. It was moist and very tasty. I ordered the rissotto, which was also very good. The only disappointment of the night was the chocolate cake.Special Features:
- DeliciousAfo32Dined on 3/28/2014Went for happy hour & dinner. When we asked the waitress about happy hour she neglected to mention that the wines we ordered were not included in the specials. Other than being surprised by our bill the apps and the meals were amazing. Wait staff is very friendly too.Special Features:
- the experience was great.pattyDined on 3/15/2014the experience was great. our server, lindsay, made it seamless. all four of us loved her suggestions and our meals. also have enjoyed lunch outside in the summer. all around gem!Special Features:
- Well doneOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/14/2014Interesting menu, short but well chosen wine list, nice European twist to the food.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceJimRVIPDined on 3/8/2014Dropped by with friends before a concert at Royal Oak Music Theater. Perfect. Varied menu, including vegetarian selections. Our food was outstanding. Nice diversity on wine list. Attentive service. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love MusexmetalDined on 3/7/2014We've been going to Muse for a long time. We love the breakfast and brunch but dinner was equally spectacular. No issues accommodating our big party.Special Features:
- GRILLED CHEESE!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/1/2014Believe the hype the grilled cheese sandwich was very good! The bowls for the soup need to be SMALLER why buy bowls larger than the table not fun when its a four of us and we all order soup. The service was great from beginning to end.Special Features:
- First timeAk3536VIPDined on 2/22/2014This was our first time for dinner, I have been for breakfast. The food was amazing I can't wait to come backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumDizukDined on 2/15/2014Good, wholesome food with a creative twist. Everything was flavorful. The server was very knowledgeable and spot on with his recommendations. Love that they use as much organic as possible. Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was bad and the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2014Service was bad and the food was just fair. Price was reasonable.
- Valentine'sDayDisappointedDined on 2/14/2014Cafe Muse has it down! Valentine's Day was busy, but guests did not have to wait; they were greet, seated, not rushed, We had a lovely, leisurely three course meal served by attentive wait staff. Kudos to Cafe Muse!Special Features:
- Wonderful short ribs and brusselnfgnfgDined on 1/25/2014Wonderful short ribs and brussel sprouts. Great service and ambianceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Breakfast NOT dinner!!NothappyDined on 1/3/2014I have had breakfast and bunch here several times, and it's always very delicious! This was my 2nd time here for dinner, not impressed at all. Small portions for high prices and poor taste!! They should stick with what they know or get a better dinner chef! I now know that I will only be visiting there for breakfast/brunch and cocktails!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always hits the spot.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2013Overall, a great restaurant with an outstanding menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful on new years eveSimmerDined on 12/31/2013Strolling appetizers were excellent. the bacon wrapped date was an explosion of flavor. The tomato and mushroom soups were also wonderful. my chicken and the rabbit were good but lacked the inventive flavors i've come to expect from this chef. We stayed for hours enjoying the place and the people we were with. Never any sense to move us out. Service was spot on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 12/27/2013We had dinner on 12/27, after driving in from Maryland - it was great to have local Michigan produce and beer to welcome us back to our home state. Food was terrific and service was attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The bar sceneCarolDined on 12/19/2013This was our 4th time eating at cafe muse and first experience eating in the bar area. The bartender was not very friendly and his crafted drinks were average. The service was very slow, but the wait staff was attentive. Food as usual was excellent.Special Features:
- Great short ribs and excellentbgbgDined on 12/13/2013Great short ribs and excellent beer selection. A favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/7/2013Cafe Muse grew from a teeny tiny fabulous breakfast/lunch spot to a nice sized fabulous breakfast/lunch spot. Then they added dinner and then they doubled the space and added a full bar. We love the food and the setting which is refreshingly quiet. The portions are not large, which may account for the fact that it is not hard to get in. I can't think of any other reason why it is not always crowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Musings about MuseGreenFoodieDined on 12/6/2013I went to Cafè Muse for dinner way back when they first added dinner to their popular brunch menu. They hadn't quite completed the transition from cheery brunch spot to serious dinner spot, so there were a few discordant moments, like when our server had only ever tried Merlot before (and thus couldn't talk about the wine list). I should have come back long ago. This is unquestionably one of the best places to dine in the Metro area, especially if you care about sustainably-sourced food. Dishes are thoughtfully prepared and beautifully presented; servers are attentive and patient; the new second room is modern and elegant. We loved the vegan pot pie and the bread pudding and, well, just everything. One request: more veg entrees, Cafè Muse!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun evening at Cafe MuseMikeDined on 11/29/2013We had 7:30 reservations for Sat after Thanksgiving with family. The service was great and for the most part, the food was excellent. The only exception was a scorched side dish of cauliflower. We loved the charcuterie plate for a shared appetizer and thoroughly enjoyed wine recommended by our waitress. Great ambiance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Farm to TableOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/16/2013Love the attention to detail from the moment we walked in. The communication from the front of house thru to kitchen was awesome. Staff was attentive to our time constraints and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!BalancedGuyDined on 11/1/2013Love the menu selection. Everything on the menu was interesting. Everything we ordered was delicious. Even though the restaurant was packed, we could hear each other. We will be back to Café Muse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the mushroom bisque, bestSimmerDined on 10/30/2013the mushroom bisque, best on the planet. was dining with a friend visiting from Israel who travels the world and that was his proclamation, the vide in this place is friendly, accommodating and relaxed. If you want to have out loud fun they are good with it. if you want to be left alone - they do that too. the place just works.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome DinnerJoshVIPDined on 10/29/2013The dinner I had at Cafe Muse recently was amazing. The short ribs were super tender and flavorful with great spaetzle. You must try the bacon wrapped stuffed dates and the mushroom soup. A great meal and the prices are very reasonable for the quality of the food that you get. If you are in Royal Oak, eat at Cafe Muse!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.