309 Millburn Avenue
Millburn, NJ 07041Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cafemonet.info/
- Phone: 9733768555
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Tuesday - Sunday: 9:00am - 11:00am; Lunch: Tuesday - Sunday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Sunday, Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Wes Sawi
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Cafe, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
A word from Cafe Monet
Cafe Monet is a charming French restaurant which opened in 2005. Chef Wes Sawi, a native of Egypt, with cooking experience in France and at Les Rendez-Vous in Kenilworth.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cafe Monet reviews from OpenTable diners
8 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelQuiet
neighborhood gem (5)special occasion (4)romantic (3)fit for foodies (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Extraordinary Food!BillDined on 9/11/2014Mushroom Soup was to die for. The Escargot, Provence-style were a jewel. Perfect puff pastry on top and just the right amount of garlic. They melt in your mouth. Duck breast confit style was perfectly done and not a hint of grease. Kudos to the chef!Special Features:
- johnrDined on 8/15/2014Nice menu selection you won't find elsewhere. Food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So closeAvonguyVIPDined on 7/13/2014When one visits a french bistro as cute as Monet, one likely expects more from the food, mentally comparing it to many great meals in similar establishments. Nevertheless, on my second try at this spot, I was again disappointed with a less than worthy of a good French bistro meal. Not that it was bad, but just felt it should have even better. My latest visit was on a Sunday, and maybe the regular chef had the night off--who knows, but was hoping for more. With so many good restaurants competing for business, hard to tell when I'll be back, a shame because it is such a pleasant place. There is a very good jazz guitarist there Sunday nights, and he is worthy of a visit.Special Features:
- Always a pleasurefoodieVIPDined on 7/12/2014We have visited Café Monet many times and always enjoy the atmosphere - a café with a sophisticated twist. The food never disappoints and features both small plates and regular. Save room for dessert - the Pot de Crème is memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite local spotRbysoDined on 6/25/2014Cafe Monet always delivers a lovely combination of warm atmosphere, elegant Euro feel, delicious food, and excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe Monet OKcadluvsfoodDined on 6/20/2014The wait staff were friendly and helpful and the food was OK. An exception was the escargot appetizer which was excellent. In general the entrees and especially the desserts were quite overpriced even for upscale Millburn. We had a Groupon so the squeeze on the wallet wasn't so bad. Also, parking is an issue as it is all over Millburn.
- Exceeded expectations. ExcellentlynnieDined on 6/7/2014Loved the small plates option. Shoert ribs superb! Beet salad good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 243 reviews are from the Cafe Monet reviews archive.
- Horrible serviceBelleDined on 5/11/2014We waited almost 25 minutes for someone to take our order. The main dishes arrived at our table cold, and after waiting more than 15 minutes for our dessert we had to leave for a scheduled appointment. It never occurred to us it would take 1 hr 25 minutes for 2 courses of a pre fixe menu. We had to request the check and no one apologized for the fact that we were missing the 3rd course which we paid for. The busboy who was I charge of water was excellent. He replenished our glasses regularly.Special Features:
- This restaurant has been aCarolDined on 3/15/2014This restaurant has been a favorite for years But our most recent experience was disappointing Food & service were not what we have come to expect Has ownership changed?Special Features:
- excellent foodLakeryanDined on 3/13/2014when we got there we has plenty of time before the show, but the time went by quickly. I had duck pate and the off the menu duck cassoulet. my wife had the hangar steak. food and service was top notchSpecial Features:
- Lovely Restaurant. GREAT FOOD!Greatfood2enjoyDined on 3/6/2014We had a wonderful dinner at this gem of a restaurant. I had the best rack of lamb that I ever experienced.Special Features:
- A Quiet French BistroHawaiiguyDined on 3/4/2014Nice quiet spot in downtown Milburn. Parking can be a issue. Only one side of the restaurant was open, with about 5 tables, greeted immediately, and sat at an small table that had to be moved . Food traditional French! Very rich very good! I would recommend the beet salad, and the poached Salmon! Overall a nice experience!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre greeting. ServicelibralynnVIPDined on 2/26/2014Mediocre greeting. Service with a bit of attitude. Uneven service among the tables as far as when food orders were being put in. (The last table to arrive was served first. The first table to arrive was the last one to get their check). Extremely long wait for food. Would not recommend this as a place to eat before going to the Papermill. Would have to say most of food was very good to excellent. The surprise at the end was that they take cash only - who knew! Was not told that ahead of time. Very unusual for a restaurant in Millburn not to take credit cards.
- As always, a great mealTonyVIPDined on 1/31/2014Food was excellent as usual at this very friendly and romantic neighborhood restaurant.Special Features:
- A cute place, fair foodMagsVIPDined on 1/25/2014The salads were very good. The quality of "deux" dishes were only fair. Duck confit was two overcooked duck legs, without any sauce, with a side of lettuce. Mussels in white wine were OK. Our main courses were inconsistent in quality. The duck breast was delicious, but the meat was over cooked again. Overall though it was the best of the dishes we had. Lamp chops were disappointing. Asked for rare, but got medium well. The server never came back to check. A cute place but with quality of food being inconsistent. The nice touches was a little delicious morsel of avocado mouse on toast served at the beginning, and truly fantastic bread. We will give this place another chance but insist more strongly on the correct interpretation of rare meat.Special Features:
- Fun staff but a bit overcookedemjaDined on 1/17/2014Wonderful hostess with a great sense of humor. Charming, slightly bizarre waiter. Food was quite good but my duck was overcooked. Wanted medium rare and was closer to medium well. Really enjoyed the ambiance and people which made up for the overcooked duck. Delicious creme brulee, which is a favorite. Bring your own makes this a very well-priced spot. Just ask your duck to be cooked rare!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful special french bistrofrenchieVIPDined on 1/14/2014We love this restaurant, the waiter is outstanding. The owner visits the patrons to ensure that everyone is pleased with the food. We have dined here many times and always look forward to our return. Attention to details in food preparation and presentation is obvious. Try the beet salad and skate. Save room for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, pleasantPerillaDinerDined on 1/4/2014Salad was crisp and well-balanced, skate was flavorful with delicious celery root, and lamb chops were coooked perfectly medium rare with a nice portion of a double and a triple chop. Service was very nice, and they bent over backwards when the server forgot to mention to my DC that the smoked trout was prepared with salmon instead that night - comping the replacement appetizer and bringing a complimentary dessert for me as I was finished with my entree earlier (we had asked for entrees with no delay as we had a movie showing to get to). That was really above and beyond. What a nice way to spend a cozy evening in a cafe when it was cold and icy outside!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodjaymDined on 12/31/2013Great food for all around. From the fresh baked rolls, through the lobster bisque and ravioli appetizers, to the rack of land and sea-bass entrees, each course was delicious. Dessert was good but nothing special. The service was good considering a very busy New Year's Eve. A nice touch with the roaming guitarist.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was poor. Busy forOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2013Service was poor. Busy for the holiday and only one sever who was snobby and very impersonal. Slow serviceSpecial Features:
- Dinner with the Adams FamilymmmmDined on 12/31/201315 minutes before the menu arrived and our wines were put on ice. Nearly two hours before our entrees arrived. One member of our party asked if the chef could prepare a vegetarian dinner, and we were to told "of course". While, overall, the food was good, the grilled vegetables were pretty abysmal. Maybe it was just a bad night. It was our first time going to Cafe Monet, but I do not think we will be going back.
- One of the bestSuburbanFoodieVIPDined on 12/25/2013This is, by far, one of the best restaurants in the Maplewood/Millburn/South Orange area. Better than many of my NYC favorites, and right around the corner.Special Features:
- An excellent dinneralwayshungryVIPDined on 12/19/2013If only we lived closer...Three of us dined here on a cold evening. Everything we ordered was delicious. The menu, although not the largest, has the kind of food we like. Our entrees included a rack of lamb, skate, and coq au vin. Each dish was nicely presented, generous, and tasty. The server was knowledgeable and we felt very comfortable in the room. Prices are quite reasonable when you factor in that it is a BYOB.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting MenuSBG900VIPDined on 12/7/2013Cozy, friendly, well-prepared and presented food, knowledgeable wait staff. My husband's escargots were tasty (dipped my bread in) We both had the salmon papiiotte which left us a little hungry as iit is served with about two slim asparagus, some greens but no carbohydrate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was I in millburn or montmartre?foodaholicDined on 11/30/2013Food was very fresh, well prepared, a small but well thought out menu. But then we couldn't resist the seasonal specials that were delicious. Trout Almondine. Beef bourgignon, server was more than helpful describing the dishes and was flawless at anticipating our needs. Great ambiance, felt like I was travelling thru France. Smaller restaurant offering a la minute dishes, great find and it was local to the playhouse.Special Features:
- Service Needs ImprovementSusieDined on 11/17/2013While the food was good, the waiter was unclear about the food preparation and ingredients. It's not a great place for breakfast or brunch, since the menu is limited. Much better for dinner.
- Okay Neighborhood DinnerSarah205VIPDined on 11/16/2013The food itself was pretty good, just not outstanding. The pate was only okay; the carmelized onions made the pate dish. Both of our entrees were good, not remarkable. We definitely enjoyed the perks of the BYOB. The downfall of the restaurant was the service. It took forever to get our app, and even longer to wait for our dinner. It's not that we were rushing off to a play or anything, it was just well beyond a relaxed casual eating pace.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a lovely QUIET meal,wellhertziesDined on 10/24/2013We had a lovely QUIET meal,well served, and very tasty. the portions were perfect and the wait staff very attentive. This is not a large restaurant,but one that very welcoming and perfect for a romantic dinner. The biggest problem is lack of parking, We most definitely go back as they also were attentive to the fact that we were going to the theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodDash2dineDined on 10/22/2013The meal was great and well worth the price for the tasting menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French ala Millburnsunflower7bDined on 10/5/2013This was my first experience with Open Table and with Cafe Monet. This quaint BYOB in downtown Millburn had a pleasant atmosphere, welcoming ambience and laid back approach to dining. I had the watercress salad special with ricotta and peaches, and the special braised short rib for my entree. My friends had the escargot appetizer which I had to taste...and it was worth the taste...delicious. For dessert, I highly recommend the apple tart with a macchiato - the sweetness of the tart balances well with the bitterness of the coffee. The prices were a bit higher than I anticipated, but the quality of the food and the overall dining experience would bring me back here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedNewJerseyFanVIPDined on 8/4/2013I have been here before and was disappointed this time. I ordered the chicken which tasted like reheated food from another day.Special Features:
- We (2 couples)enjoyed thiscdineDined on 7/13/2013We (2 couples)enjoyed this attractive, low key spot. Well prepared food, BYO. We were (pleasantly) surprised at how quiet it was on a recent Saturday. Ordering is a little confusing since the sizes of small plates, half plates, and full plates is not clear. Some were more generous than others, but we liked trying different dishes. Salad with smoked trout was delicious and big enough to share. We shared a smaller sized duck entrée, which the kitchen split for us. Scallops were excellent. Maybe because business was slow, they did not have some of the more desirable desserts available, but all of the plates we tried were well prepared.Special Features:
- French charmkew321Dined on 7/2/2013An eclectic, yet thoughtful, interior design. The staff are charming and the food is delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food at a good priceSOfoodreviewerDined on 6/18/2013Nice little restaurant with good food. We picked a slow night (Tuesday) and had a nice quiet meal. This was our third time there and would go back. BYOB.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We have dined at Café MonetfoodieVIPDined on 6/15/2013We have dined at Café Monet many times - the food is creative and of high quality. The menu allows a combination of small plates, which makes for an enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food - slow serviceJoyceDined on 6/11/2013I think the cook was not present on the day we went for lunch. The food was good but the portions were extremely small (and I am not a big eater) and the service was very, very slow.
- Mother's Day Brunch 2013tl77VIPDined on 5/12/2013My wife and I were new to the area and wanted to find a place to meet our friends with their children for the special Mother's Day brunch. We made a reservation and hoped for the best. Cafe Monet really has terrific food. The kids who ranged from 3 to 8 also had a good time with the meal. We will definitely be back for dinner another time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The cafe is attractive butOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/3/2013The cafe is attractive but the chairs were very uncomfortable and not sturdy. When my party arrived at 7:00 on a Friday the restaurant was fairly empty yet service was very slow. A bowl of bread (that we asked for several times) consisted of 6 croutons for the 5 of us. A second order of bread arrived after we were finished our meal. I expected more French bistro dishes. The food was adequate and I thought the portions were a llittle too small. We did not stay for dessert as we were all very uncomfortable sitting in the chairs.
- Wonderful atmosphere and anOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/22/2013Wonderful atmosphere and an amazing playlist. The pate is divine and the steak was too. BYO is a cost-saving feature.Special Features:
- No food after 90 minutes!LocalcoupleDined on 3/2/2013We had been to Café Monet several times before, and--though the service had previously been slow, even with few diners in the restaurant--the food was always superb. So I chose to go there for my birthday this year. Unfortunately, after 1 hour and 10 minutes, neither soup nor bread had arrived. Half the restaurant had emptied, and I managed to flag the waiter who insisted that food was simply not coming out of the kitchen and that a few other diners were in the same predicament. I mentioned that my blood sugar was getting low, and asked if we could at least get some soup right away. 15 minutes later, he returned to report that the kitchen had never received the order. Still no soup. We walked out and will never return.