309 Millburn Avenue
Millburn, NJ 07041Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cafemonet.info/
- Phone: (973) 376-8555
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Tuesday - Sunday: 9:00am - 11:00am; Lunch: Tuesday - Sunday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Sunday, Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Wes Sawi
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Cafe, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
A word from Cafe Monet
Cafe Monet is a charming French restaurant which opened in 2005. Chef Wes Sawi, a native of Egypt, with cooking experience in France and at Les Rendez-Vous in Kenilworth.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cafe Monet reviews from OpenTable diners
7 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelQuiet
neighborhood gem (6)romantic (5)special occasion (4)fit for foodies (2)Show More
- Do not go here.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/12/2012From the fact that the greeter never looked at our reservation and ignored us when we said we were the first 2 of a party of 4 - and then trying to sit us at a table for 2 - to the waiter seeming annoyed when the ladies asked a number of questions as to the meal - the service was abominable. The appetizers were OK but the main course was only fair and one of them (rack of lamb ordered medium) came out cold. I had to go find the waiter to tell him as, every time he came out he ignored us. Then they brought it back - but no knife and fork - meaning another search for a waiter - and it was very rare. The table next to us had ordered "steak and frites" and the frites came out when the steak was 1/2 eaten. I repeat - do not go here.
- Service was slow, but thatOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/5/2012Service was slow, but that can be nice. You definately are not rushed. The atmoshere is very pleasant, quaint and friendly. It can be casual to dressy.Special Features:
- Seriously DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/8/2012We ate here on Easter, based on Open Table reviews. We could not have been more disappointed. It was not crowded and offered a limited pre fixe menu for the holiday. We can't understand why it took 45 minutes for appetizers and bread to come out and almost two hours for a simple cafe meal. Service could not have been worse. We were offered water and we bought a bottle of sparkling, but some of us had tap. Those who had tap were never offered more, and we were never offered any other beverage. Asking for more was difficult. Our waiter was rarely to be seen. Food was mediocre. It just seemed like they had no clue or care about what they were doing. Re noise, energetic is misleading. It was noisy in an irritating way.
- BYO makes it worth while.ViejoMajaderoVIPDined on 3/31/2012BYO makes it worth while. All at the table had positive comments.
- Very good food, makes youDiningoutDined on 3/16/2012Very good food, makes you truly feel you're at a French bistro. And, with all the Italian restaurants in town, it's a welcome respite. Service is quite attentive as well and prices are very reasonable.Special Features:
- Food was tasty enough, butOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/14/2012Food was tasty enough, but service was poor. We were the only patron in the restaurant and did not have good service. We had to ask for ice water; we had to ask for bread; one entree was requested as half-portion while one was requested as full-portion -- both were served as half portions; the waiter was not particularly attentive throughout the meal. We also thought the appetizers were overpriced for what we got (for example, two scallops with about half a cup of risotto for $17).
- I don't think that Cafe MonetOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/3/2012I don't think that Cafe Monet gets the acclaim it deserves. The food is excellent even though the service can be anything from attentive to absurd.Special Features:
- Enjoyed Cafe MonetOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/14/2012We very much enjoyed our dinner at Cafe Monet. The food was excellent and the atmosphere is surprisingly intimate and charming flor a store front space.Special Features:
- The Valentine's Day menu wasTonyVIPDined on 2/14/2012The Valentine's Day menu was very good and reasonably priced, although the portions were a bit on the small side. We eat here a lot and usually it is not as crowded and noisy; in the area we were in, the tables were extremely close so there was really no privacy.
- We picked this to meet friendsDarylDined on 2/11/2012We picked this to meet friends who are 90 miles away, and Cafe Money was right in the middle. A very lovely place, the service was good, the food fine, and they let us sit for a long time, possibly sensing it would be helpful to us. We would be happy to go back, and to recommend it to others.Special Features:
- Good "Nouvelle" French place,OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 2/11/2012Good "Nouvelle" French place, small but not cramped, with good food and a neat menu: you can construct a single or multicourse dinner to your liking. We enjoyed the red beets, the goat cheese napolean, and grilled hanger steak; a place that makes good duck breast like this will keep me coming back. Finished with excellent warm chocolate tort and the meringue lemon tart.Special Features:
- This is a lovely local place.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/10/2012This is a lovely local place. I appreciate the fact that two sizes of entrees are offered...a smaller plate or a regular size. The food is a cut-above with a beautiful atmosphere. I especially recommend going on a Sunday night between 6-8 when there is a pair of live performers who strum gorgeous Spanish guitar.Special Features:
- This was a great find. KindOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 2/4/2012This was a great find. Kind of a last minute thing with the wife and we were not dissappointed. It has a great cafe feel with excellent food. We had a wonderful time. Food, conversation, and ambiance were fantastic.Special Features:
- Nice classic French restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/21/2012Nice classic French restaurant. Service was very friendly and efficient. Remember that this is a BYOB. I did not know it, but waiter was nice enough to run to the store to get a bottle of wine on a cold snowy night. I thought the value was very good and every thing was tasty.Special Features:
- The experience was so unevenOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/14/2012The experience was so uneven as the food and ambiance were very good but the service was so poor with no explanation as to what was going on- no food for an hour...
- The restaurant was quiet onOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/12/2012The restaurant was quiet on the Thursday night we dined there. The food was great and the service was very attentive.Special Features:
- Lovely ambiance, cozy. FoodRobinbirdVIPDined on 12/20/2011Lovely ambiance, cozy. Food was definitely better than I expected. Trout salad was great, apple tart was wonderful. We will go back!Special Features:
- terrible food cold frenchjschVIPDined on 12/10/2011terrible food cold french fries greasy i used to go there often never again service couldnt get it together, bye nice knowing you.
- Had a delicious well balancedOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/8/2011Had a delicious well balanced meal with impeccable service! The lamb was particularly delicious!Special Features:
- We found Cafe Monet on OpenTableOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/26/2011We found Cafe Monet on OpenTable and were delighted with the find. The food generally was very good and certain dishes were outstanding. The space was very comfortable yet fine, and the service was excellent.Special Features:
- Are they closed yet?OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/25/2011We showed up at 5 p.m. to find an empty restaurant. We were seated in a corner and a abandoned for 2 minutes while the owner yelled at the chef. When the server returned, he offered us water (without taking a drink order), explained that there were several items on the menu not available that night and reminded us that they don't serve wine. He left for another few minutes while the owner continued to yell loudly at the chef. We noticed no smell of food preparation. We grabbed our things and left. The entire vibe was uncomfortable and awkward. When we drove past a few hours later, other restaurants were busy - Monet was closed. No surprise.
- We ate at Cafe Monet earlythebroadessDined on 11/22/2011We ate at Cafe Monet early on a very rainy Tuesday evening. It was very quiet. The service was gracious and the food was very good. The menu was small, but well rounded. The brunch menu also looked lovely, we are looked forward to checking it out. We didnt realize it was BYOB, so please bring your own wine.Special Features:
- Charming place to have dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/19/2011Charming place to have dinner with friends. Lovely ambiance, great menu, beautiful food presentation, BYO. Service efficient, waiters knowledgable about the food, and more than accomodating for my friends food allergies, excellent evening.Special Features:
- We have dined at this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/12/2011We have dined at this restaurant many times, and it's now doubtful that we will return. The service was unacceptable (and we were hosting another couple, so it was embarrassing) - and, after waiting 45 minutes for dessert to arrive - we cancelled our order (which was never conveyed to the kitchen), and then had to wait for the check. We were charged for our coffees although we had no dessert to accompany them - very poor client service.
- Have had very nice meals atOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/11/2011Have had very nice meals at Cafe Monet before but this one was a disaster. Food was poor - lamb overdone, beef tough, fish too salty. Service was VERY slow and poor. We waited and 1/2 hour for main course and another 1/2 hour for dessert. Not too eager to go back!
- Bio dynamic's at Monet?OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/11/2011Bio-dynamic vegetables on the menu didn't know what they were, but they were very tasty, we had the cassoulet and lamb sous-vide both perfect for the time of year, all very tasty, enjoyed the first courses so much that any delay in the dessert just meant we could sit and enjoy the ambience for a little longer. Seemed as if this was the place to be on Saturday night in Millburn, it was busy, but the service was good.Special Features:
- Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/29/2011Delicious....Will return again and again for the Skate, it was fab. My guest had Blackberry Glazed Duck Breast which he liked, My Mushroom Soup was the best. Oh and nearly forgot my dessert, chocolate-chocolate torte, sort of a crust cake exteriour with a liquid chocolate center, served with raspberry coulis, Yum. Will be back to try all the dishes we didn't have room to try. Great Find, great flavors, well priced.Special Features:
- I was hoping to find a niceAvonguyVIPDined on 10/15/2011I was hoping to find a nice French bistro locally, and happened across this place on open table. Despite nice atmosphere, and good service, we were very disappointed with almost all the food. My wife had duck confit for $17, and I a scallop special. The duck was decent, but very salty, and the mushroom strudle quite nice, but my scallops over cous cous were dry and bland. When I told the waitress the dish was very disappointing, she later told me the chef took it off the special list for the night. The entree were little better, with a very salty skate dish w very salty spinach for my wife, and mine a minute piece of Chilean sea bass over truffles mashed potatoes. The taters were quite good and the fish ok. A better chef would help!!
- We had been to Cafe MonetOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/7/2011We had been to Cafe Monet several months ago and were disappointed. This visit was very enjoyable. The service was friendly and professional. The food was delicious and the noise level which had been unacceptable in the past was much improved.Special Features:
- We had a fabulous meal. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/24/2011We had a fabulous meal. The service was great as was the food. Might be my new favorite.Special Features:
- A+GlenDined on 9/3/2011Great evening @ Cafe Monet. They had a Labor Day Weekend Prix Fixe menu in addition to their regular menu and it was a steal at $29.95 per person. I started with a wonderful red beet and strawberry salad followed by a perfectly cooked piece of glazed salmon. The Prix Fixe included desert and the Pot de Creme was amazing. The place is BYO so a nice evening for two at under $60 was great.Special Features:
- Excellent food. Ambiance greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/13/2011Excellent food. Ambiance great other than need to improve the lighting (at least at our table) as we had difficulty in reading the menu. Suggest vegetables (second to the mushrooms) with the duck confit instead of a salade. Dessert choices limited and could be improved upon. Service friendly and efficientSpecial Features:
- Nice little French cafe in MillburnFoodlover14Dined on 8/6/2011Refreshing to have a light French meal as a change from so many local Italian restaurants. My husband loved his goat cheese Napoleon appetizer. I loved the skate as an entree. We both loved the lemon merangue torte for dessert. There were lots of choices for appetizers on the menu and the design your own meal with two columns of appetizers and main dish portions as appetizer or entree size was an interesting and fun concept. The atmosphere was romantic and the server was knowlegable and helpful.Special Features:
- Had a reservation last eveningluv2dineVIPDined on 7/29/2011Had a reservation last evening for 8pm. Wanted earlier, but that is all I could get. Ambiance was pleasant and food was good. However, the service was lacking. No bread was brought to the table, candles were not lit, table water was left out. My friend requested mustard with her meal twice before receiving it. In addition, the rose wine was accidently knocked over by our waiter. He responded in a very blase manner with no real apology. The wine landed on my white pants and brand new blouse. The waiter responded with a few more napkins. The check was brought to the table without request (the waiter did comp our cappucinos for the spill. However, the lights were turned off at 9:45 pm and the staff was standing looking at us. Will not return.
- Have known about this restaurantPerfectVIPDined on 7/21/2011Have known about this restaurant for a while but hadn't tried until this week. We were not disappointed. Loved the menu layout and options for smaller plates, which were nice sizes. Had mostly specials like Gazpacho and Tilapia. Bouillabaisse from the menu was one of the best tasting sauces one of our friends had ever had. The service was the only partially challenging part. For a slow night, entrees came out a little slow, but all were cooked to perfection and hot. But it's a byo of course so we were ok. If you're looking for a casual, neighborhood, great food experience and not in a hurry, with a French flair, this is your place.Special Features:
- Have dined here twice now,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/16/2011Have dined here twice now, and had a very good experience on both occasions. The food was well prepared, and the service was friendly. The staff cheerfully accomodated a dietary restriction, and even brought water out for our dog!Special Features:
- Never disappoints. I'm becomingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/14/2011Never disappoints. I'm becoming regular!!! Their specials are always marvelous !!Special Features:
- As always, the food was terrificOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/15/2011As always, the food was terrific and the service exceptional. A very nice little place to celebrate a special occasion.Special Features:
- Food and ambiance were veryOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/15/2011Food and ambiance were very good. The service was superb. There was also live music (guitar duo) when we were there which just enhanced the atmosphere of the place. This was our second time at Cafe Monet and it never disappointed. We normally don't repeat restaurants as there are thousands of other restaurants we haven't tried yet but Cafe Monet is something worth coming back to. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Love Cafe Monet...it neverOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/12/2011Love Cafe Monet...it never disappoints. The potato leek soup was deligtful and the duck was done to perfection.Special Features: