6934 E. 1st Ave.
Scottsdale, AZ 85251Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://cafemonarch.com/
- Phone: 4809707682x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 8:00pm
Friday -Saturday : 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Wine Bar, Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Branden Levine
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wine
A word from Cafe Monarch
Surrounded by a candle lit courtyard and 2 gorgeous dining rooms, guests enjoy a 4 course pre fixe menu featuring fresh, organic, all-natural seasonal ingredients. Quaint, charm, romance and warmth surrounds this true foodie destination. Menu changes weekly. Upon reservation please specify if you have any food allergies and/or dietary restrictions. Cafe Monarch will accommodate any allergies or dietary restrictions to ensure every guest can enjoy every course. Reservations are highly recommended.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Cafe Monarch - Best Restaurants in Scottsdale ›
Cafe Monarch reviews from OpenTable diners
110 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (97)romantic (96)great for outdoor dining (75)fit for foodies (74)neighborhood gem (47)notable wine list (27)great for brunch (8)scenic view (7)hot spot (6)good for groups (5)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Fantastically deliciously romantic!millenniusDined on 8/16/2014We were quickly and we'll received by the maitre de and seated in a gorgeous indoor location. All the staff were courteous and held the utmost standards in quality of service. The food was phenomenal and my boyfriend and I were talking about it for DAYS! The only marks I have against it are small in comparison. When I reserved the table I asked for something particularly romantic to be done, which they said they do when I asked over the phone. Nothing felt extraordinary or special as they had mentioned, but it ended up not even needing it. The food was so delicious, that I think this may be more of a grudge: the menu changes! No more yummy trout and lava cake,. but oh the possibilities! Highly recommended, there's a reason it's the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food TransformedRun4FoodVIPDined on 8/16/2014Life the caterpillar to a butterfly the chef and staff turn a meal into a delicious experience. They accommodate any tastes on their thoughtfully prepared menu and make you feel as if you are a king or a queen. This is a must for a date night or a special occasion.Special Features:
- new favoriteCS629VIPDined on 8/16/2014Wow! This place is so wonderful! We were recommended to try this place from a friend and we are so glad we did ! It's one of our new favorite places ! The food is superb, the wine list is generous and the organic vodka is devine. I had the filet and it was absolutely perfect. We will return again and again.Special Features:
- Hidden gem in Old TownOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/15/2014Cafe Monarch is a boutique dining establishment in Old Town Scottsdale. Dinner service consists of a price fixe menu with several entree options and an optional wine pairing. Full bar and wine by the bottle also available. The setting is rustic and trendy, the type of place only insiders know about. + Excellent cuisine all dishes expertly prepared with great flavors. The sauce seems to be the signature of each dish so be sure to get a composed bite with ingredients and sauce to experience the best flavors. + Generous portions for a price fixe. A pleasant surprise. + Personal and knowledgeable service.Special Features:
- ChefODined on 8/14/2014Overall great experience, this was my first time at Cafe Monarch and I truly enjoyed the atmosphere and the decor in the restaurant. service was great and the food was good as well, will go back for sureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014It was an amazing dinner with great food and incredible service. The wine pairing was perfect. Would recommend this for an after dark romantic experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Looking forward to come backdags182Dined on 8/10/2014The title says it all. Its definitely one of my favorites in all of Arizona.Special Features:
- Wonderful Birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/9/2014We celebrated my birthday with a dinner there this past weekend, the service was top notch and they made you feel like you were guests in their home - everyone was so knowledgeable about the menu, the cocktails were sublime, the wine pairings dead on and the ambiance is lovely. Was thoroughly impressed by the service though - everyone there was amazing & made my birthday an evening to remember - we will be back again & again.Special Features:
- perfect bachelorettegoodfoodgoodtimesDined on 8/9/2014While visiting Scottsdale, we set up a dinner to celebrate the bachelorette at Cafe Monarch. From the moment we walked in, we were treated to top-notch food, service, and ambiance. Our table was in the beautiful garden patio. The owner took special attention to make the night memorable. We all had the meal with the wine pairing. Surprises and personal touches continued throughout the meal. The staff went out of their way to treat our special lady. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second visit not quite as good. . .OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/9/2014Food and atmosphere still terrific but the service definitely not up to par this time. Servers need to get more involved even though it is a fixed menu.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal in a long time...SpikelawVIPDined on 8/8/2014I can't say enough about this place. I was out in Scottsdale with my wife and we went here for the first time. The outdoor dining space is beautiful, secluded, and very green, lush, and romantic. The food is lovely, well thought out, and very tasty. My steak entree was the best entree I have had this year. The wine pairing wet unique and very we'll managed by a sommelier that soon my be a master. I will come here every time I am back.Special Features:
- CharmingToolsVIPDined on 8/8/2014We did not intend to sit in the charming patio at 100 degrees but with the misters and foliage it is not to be missed. Food and aubience were outstanding!Special Features:
- Outstanding Celebration dinner!SixFoodiesDined on 8/6/2014Six of us were celebrating our daughter-in-law's 35th birthday and Cafe Monarch was just outstanding! Every course was delicious - we were all practically licking our plates! The crispy top Steelhead salmon was probably the best fish any of us had ever had - and the curried green lentils and baby bok choy were excellent - and I don't even like lentils! The filet was tender and delicious with the lobster mushroom risotto - the crabcakes, bruschetta with tomato jam, summer salad and chocolate fresh cherry dessert were all delightful as well - it is a really pretty place set in an old home and courtyard - service was excellent and unobstrusive - we enjoyed all of the wines served in the wine pairing - definitely a hit!Special Features:
- PhenomenalMer1970Dined on 8/5/2014This was our first time there and definitely not our last! Amazing food and service! Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatTmacVIPDined on 8/5/2014I've been a fan since the beginning. The food is awesome and the atmosphere is perfect for a date or special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very EnjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/2/2014Everything from food to service was well above par. My only issue is that their wine list could use some fine tuning, would like to see a better selection on the higher end.Special Features:
- It lives up to the hype!KandKDined on 8/1/2014Took my wife to Cafe Monarch for her Birthday since i read all the great reviews. I'm generally not the type to write reviews, but this time i just had to. We had an amazing experience. We aren't foodies per se, and when i reviewed the menu online i wasnt sure about going but decided to give it a try. So glad we did. Probably one of the best dining experiences we have ever had. Terrific food and wine, great ambience, and outstanding service. Christian waited on our table and is also part owner. I was so impressed with this place and have been telling everyone about it. Cant wait to go back soon!! Great job Cafe Monarch!Special Features:
- Great restauranttelemund33Dined on 7/26/2014I chose the restaurant for my anniversary and my wife couldn't be happier. The food was delicious, the atmosphere very romantic, the service was excellent. I believe the prices is fair, the food is well elaborated. Definitely I am going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best food ever.BigpdDined on 7/26/2014Great place. You can tell the chef poors himself into the creation of each dish. my wife and I would highly recommend cafe monarch if you love food with tons of flavor. Also the cocktails were amazing everything was so fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/26/2014amazing food, best we've had in Phoenix. Will definitely return. Service could use some fine tuning, not on par with the quality of the food and atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/25/2014Fabulous 4 course prix fix menu with wine pairing. Beautiful food, great portion size and service impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great visit to Cafe MonarchValleyFoodieDined on 7/25/2014I've had the pleasure of visiting Cafe Monarch on previous occasions. It has a great and relaxed atmosphere. Service is solid with a seasoned staff. On the occasions we've visited we typically see the same team, which tells me the Chef/owner values his team. The food is exceptional with many gourmet choices served in a prix-fixe style menu. The elegance of this process is the food is paired well with a succession of flavors making for an interesting evening. They also pair wine with the meal for a nominal $25. Which for a restaurant of this caliber is quite reasonable. Overall, if you're looking to have a relaxed "Napa-ish" style meal in the valley, Cafe Monarch should be on your list of places to try. I look forward to visiting again.Special Features:
- great patio & food, small portionscedepewDined on 7/19/2014Went on a Saturday to enjoy the 4 course menu that they offer on a weekly basis (4 courses $55 per person w/ a $25 add on per person to do the wine paring). The 1st and 2nd course were amazing; however the main meal was quite small and they overcooked my steak. While the flavors still blended nicely, it was a bit tough to chew and by the end of the meal I was still hungry and left with a $175+ bill. I love trying new places so at least there was the experience of trying something new and the patio was gorgeous and very romantic. However with a bill like that and for the many upscale restaurants I've eaten at in the past, I was displeased with the fact that I left still hungry.Special Features:
- Best meal in a long timeOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/15/2014I had a friend in town who was staying at the Valley Ho so I decided to take him to Cafe Monarch based on so many good reviews. So glad I did. It was pricey but I rarely get to enjoy a dinner without my kids so we decided to splurge. It was a Pre Fixe menu with a choice of two different entrees. We decided to get one of each and shared. They were both absolutely delicious. Every bite was a treat. I will definitely come back, but agan not with my kids! The restaurant is charming and the service is timed to perfection. Highly recommend to foodies, picky eaters or those following a strict diet should stay away. They focus on a few really well thought out dishes, not the place you would want to make substitutions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- extremely romanticEagleDined on 7/12/2014If you want to impress your date guys, cafe monarch is the place to go. Quaint and romantic are exactly what this place is and the food was absolutely amazing. Make sure you check the always changing menu before you go however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Goodeats5Dined on 7/11/2014Cute little restaurant in downtown Scottsdale with prix fixed dinner, reasonably priced. Definitely on my list for out of town guests, anniversaries...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing findLuvTapasDined on 7/4/2014The set menu is published weekly. Incredible creations with perfectly paired wine. Each course was amazing! We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Fantastic dining experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/3/2014Great concept that is executed flawlessly. Atmosphere, food, and service are all spot on!Special Features:
- Excellent!!!Gritty51Dined on 6/28/2014Both the meal and the ambience were excellent! Also, this restaurant was a great value for the money. I'd highly recommend!Special Features:
- Great French spot in Old TownGoodFoodEatsDined on 6/28/2014My wife & I tried Cafe Monarch for the first time out on a date night this past weekend. We figured the place would be crazy starting at 6pm when we had our reservation considering they are only open 6-9pm five days per week. Thankfully, they were just starting to fill up at that time and they weren't full until closer to 7pm. All of the food was amazing and well thought out. The wine pairings were also great and the side of diver scallops were on point. My only complaint would be that the music might have been a little too loud (could have been sitting by speakers though). Outside of the music, truly a great dining experience. We did manage to spend $200 but it was worth every penny. Will definitely be back soon!Special Features:
- DaveSDined on 6/27/2014Very nice for a special event. Glad they leave the menu with you so you can figure out all the ingredients in each course.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and RomanticNewToPHXDined on 6/25/2014I had heard about Cafe Monarch from a friend who had been there a couple of years ago. I took my wife for our anniversary and she loved the place. The candles were lit out on the patio where we ate and the fountains and lighting were majestic. The misters worked so well that we didn't even notice that we were eating outside (the day's high was over a hundred, but it didn't feel warmer than 80 in the courtyard). I was also surprised to see how much they served. Usually at executive chef restaurants, they serve tiny portions on each plate. This was not so. The salad was a great size (and had some amazing ingredients) and the steak was pretty large. It was the perfect amount of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!LisatnDined on 6/21/2014What a great find. Sat outside in the beautiful ivy covered, misted patio and had an amazing, delicious meal. We only had to make a decision on which of two entres we wanted. The rest was a set menu that changes every week. Everything we had was outstanding. Take a peek in to the kitchen at the end of your meal, to thank the chef, and see the limited equipement they use to produce the meals.....made us appreciate everything we ate even more. Our waiter (the owner) took great care of us. Wines were all from boutique wineries. Can not wait to go back.....this is my new Scottsdale favourite restaurant.Special Features:
- Quaint Amidst the Crowd.TwilightDinersDined on 6/21/2014Lovely small private patio, service was pleasant, food was good albeit the Filet was medium well, not the house suggested medium rare. Started with Conch Pommes Frites that was divine, wine pairing was well selected. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outdoor Gazebo is awesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/20/2014We visited Scottsdale in late June 2014 and ate at a few good restaurants (Cafe Monarch, FnB, Elements). Cafe Monarch was terrific. The food was great and the outdoor gazebo sitting was very nice. The mist-ers are on all night cooling off the outside but also they do make for bad hair nights :)Special Features:
- Service and food were outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/20/2014Each dish was a taste sensation. We tried both their entrees and shared. I couldn't decide which was better the meat or the fish.Special Features:
- Gourmet Magical EveningDevine4usDined on 6/18/2014Celebrating our Anniversary at Cafe Monarch was truly a magical experience! After a warm welcome, we made our way to the candle lit garden patio. Our server expertly explained the menu and asked our choice of entree and if we would like the wine paring. He slipped away and the first course arrived. A fabulous conch fritter stuffed squash blossom. It was superb! This was followed by a Summer Salad with an amazing basil-Dijon vinaigrette. My husband chose the cast iron roasted filet mignon and I chose the sautéed Baja Baquetta (a delicious white fish). We shared the entrees, fabulous!! Dessert was a sweet taste of four house made treats served with sparklers!! If you are in Scottsdale don't miss this treasure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best overall dining experienceLuv2dineDined on 6/11/2014Everything was perfect...ambiance, service, food and wine. We thoroughly enjoyed the 4 course meal with wine pairing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A GemCorenp914VIPDined on 6/11/2014We loved the Monarch. It is hard to impress us New Yorkers, but we adored the food, service and ambience at his restuarant. The menu was fresh and modern, the preperation and presentation was stunning. We sat outside by the fountain, it was very romantic. We had a memorable dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A winnertravelerVIPDined on 6/10/2014From the ambience to the service and especially the food- a superb dining experience. Still talking about the food a day later and planning to go back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.