6934 E. 1st Ave.
Scottsdale, AZ 85251Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://cafemonarch.com/
- Phone: (480) 970-7682
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday
First Seating 5:30pm Last Seating 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Wine Bar, Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Branden Levine
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wine
A word from Cafe Monarch
Surrounded by a candle lit courtyard and 2 gorgeous dining rooms, guests enjoy a 4 course pre fixe menu featuring fresh, organic, all-natural seasonal ingredients. Quaint, charm, romance and warmth surrounds this true foodie destination. Menu changes weekly. Upon reservation please specify if you have any food allergies and/or dietary restrictions. Cafe Monarch will accommodate any allergies or dietary restrictions to ensure every guest can enjoy every course. Reservations are highly recommended.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Cafe Monarch - Best Restaurants in Scottsdale ›
Cafe Monarch reviews from OpenTable diners
180 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (154)romantic (153)great for outdoor dining (142)fit for foodies (136)neighborhood gem (95)notable wine list (47)great for lunch (19)good for groups (18)hot spot (17)scenic view (14)great for brunch (8)late-night find (7)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Wonderful find!IAgirlDined on 9/10/2014This restaurant name was provided to me by the concierge at the resort we were staying at as part of a two page list of recommended restaurants. I checked out the website and decided from there to try it. I was so glad I did. My mom and I had a wonderful time. We did both the four course meal and the wine pairings. The food was so delicious. We are heading back in October to AZ and I'm hoping we get a chance to return. I would highly recommend it!!Special Features:
- Cafe MonarchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014Cafe Monarch was a recommendation from a friend. We were celebrating our 26th wedding anniversary. Flowers were ordered and were on the table when we arrived. The staff was very gracious and friendly. The fixed menu was delicious with the main entre choices being a seafood, meat or vegetarian. It was a great evening, a perfect spot for a small celebration. We'll be backSpecial Features:
- Beautiful butterfly themeSyraviewsDined on 9/6/2014We celebrated my birthday at Cafe Monarch, and everything was excellent. The outdoor space is beautiful and, in my opinion, worth a little bit of discomfort. It was a little warm on this September evening, but the misters were on and off intermittently, and it became comfortable over time. It was much quieter outside than inside. The food was amazing, and they even made slight modifications/accommodations when I asked. Every course was delicious, and my cocktail was creative and tasty. They also gave me a small trinket for my birthday! Great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You will want more and more...PhoenixFoodie63Dined on 9/6/2014We reserved a spot for 5:30, got in a little earlier. We love the outside decor and inside. Felt as if we were in some other state all together. The subtle foreign music was pleasing. The fresh flowers smells great. The freshened iced water with cucumber hint was not expected but definitely a like. The food: I got the filet and she got the trout. We had the four course dinner. It was absolutely off the charts great. For the price and what we had it was definitely worth every bit of it. Each course left me wanting more and more. Even my picky wife, she loved everything and of course that's a huge winner in my book for a restaurant. We will be back and yes we love the ever changing menu. It's why we will come back. The quality of food 10+.Special Features:
- Good not great.alwaysoutDined on 9/5/2014We dined at Café Monarch this past weekend and found the place to be "overhyped". The food was very good but the wines were terrible, which surprised all of us. Also the dessert was unremarkable. I don't think I would go back.
- We will be back...gettingDined on 9/5/2014The back patio was beautiful, food and wine pairings were amazing, and the staff did an amazing job taking care of us. It was a great choice for my wife's birthday dinner. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll be back!gr8ps2uDined on 9/4/2014Just wonderful! Food, service, location, all perfect!Special Features:
- Mister ManiaItalianBestDined on 8/30/2014It was my 1st time to Cafe Monarch and with out of town company. I did request the patio after reading reviews that it was lovely. However, the misters were ridiculous. Maybe it was where out table was, but my husbands head was totally wet and dripping and out friends shirt was all wet too. In addition to that the tablecloth was wet not damp but wet. Not a great feeling at all. We asked if can be turned off for a bit and that lasted for 2 minutes. If it wasn't for the food being very good don't think would ever go again. If come again would definitely pick a different month when misters would not be on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful, enchantingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Extremely attentive and helpful staff. From the first interaction to the last every interaction was pleasant and friendly. The food was also very, very good. I took lots of time eating and savoring every bite. For once, my wife finished every course before I did! Also, it was very good getting the special wine service--they matched a delicious wine with every course. Outstanding! If you, like me, do not often eat at a "fine dining" restaurant but love wonderfully savory, perfectly cooked food, you will find this to be exactly the right spot.Special Features:
- OutstandingJimboVIPDined on 8/30/2014The food and ambience at this restaurant were great. The pacing of the prix fix menu was excellent. The size of the portions were good so that we didn't leave feeling overfilled. Great wine pairing. Our most romantic experience in many years. Absolutely will go again. You could cut the filet with a fork and it was seasoned well.Special Features:
- VagabondsDined on 8/29/2014It is a wonderful gem high hen in Old Scottsdale. It remonded me of being in A charming spot in ParisSpecial Features:
- Fantastically deliciously romantic!millenniusDined on 8/16/2014We were quickly and we'll received by the maitre de and seated in a gorgeous indoor location. All the staff were courteous and held the utmost standards in quality of service. The food was phenomenal and my boyfriend and I were talking about it for DAYS! The only marks I have against it are small in comparison. When I reserved the table I asked for something particularly romantic to be done, which they said they do when I asked over the phone. Nothing felt extraordinary or special as they had mentioned, but it ended up not even needing it. The food was so delicious, that I think this may be more of a grudge: the menu changes! No more yummy trout and lava cake,. but oh the possibilities! Highly recommended, there's a reason it's the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food TransformedRun4FoodVIPDined on 8/16/2014Life the caterpillar to a butterfly the chef and staff turn a meal into a delicious experience. They accommodate any tastes on their thoughtfully prepared menu and make you feel as if you are a king or a queen. This is a must for a date night or a special occasion.Special Features:
- new favoriteCS629VIPDined on 8/16/2014Wow! This place is so wonderful! We were recommended to try this place from a friend and we are so glad we did ! It's one of our new favorite places ! The food is superb, the wine list is generous and the organic vodka is devine. I had the filet and it was absolutely perfect. We will return again and again.Special Features:
- Hidden gem in Old TownOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/15/2014Cafe Monarch is a boutique dining establishment in Old Town Scottsdale. Dinner service consists of a price fixe menu with several entree options and an optional wine pairing. Full bar and wine by the bottle also available. The setting is rustic and trendy, the type of place only insiders know about. + Excellent cuisine all dishes expertly prepared with great flavors. The sauce seems to be the signature of each dish so be sure to get a composed bite with ingredients and sauce to experience the best flavors. + Generous portions for a price fixe. A pleasant surprise. + Personal and knowledgeable service.Special Features:
- ChefODined on 8/14/2014Overall great experience, this was my first time at Cafe Monarch and I truly enjoyed the atmosphere and the decor in the restaurant. service was great and the food was good as well, will go back for sureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014It was an amazing dinner with great food and incredible service. The wine pairing was perfect. Would recommend this for an after dark romantic experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Looking forward to come backdags182Dined on 8/10/2014The title says it all. Its definitely one of my favorites in all of Arizona.Special Features:
- Wonderful Birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/9/2014We celebrated my birthday with a dinner there this past weekend, the service was top notch and they made you feel like you were guests in their home - everyone was so knowledgeable about the menu, the cocktails were sublime, the wine pairings dead on and the ambiance is lovely. Was thoroughly impressed by the service though - everyone there was amazing & made my birthday an evening to remember - we will be back again & again.Special Features:
- perfect bachelorettegoodfoodgoodtimesDined on 8/9/2014While visiting Scottsdale, we set up a dinner to celebrate the bachelorette at Cafe Monarch. From the moment we walked in, we were treated to top-notch food, service, and ambiance. Our table was in the beautiful garden patio. The owner took special attention to make the night memorable. We all had the meal with the wine pairing. Surprises and personal touches continued throughout the meal. The staff went out of their way to treat our special lady. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second visit not quite as good. . .OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/9/2014Food and atmosphere still terrific but the service definitely not up to par this time. Servers need to get more involved even though it is a fixed menu.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal in a long time...SpikelawVIPDined on 8/8/2014I can't say enough about this place. I was out in Scottsdale with my wife and we went here for the first time. The outdoor dining space is beautiful, secluded, and very green, lush, and romantic. The food is lovely, well thought out, and very tasty. My steak entree was the best entree I have had this year. The wine pairing wet unique and very we'll managed by a sommelier that soon my be a master. I will come here every time I am back.Special Features:
- CharmingToolsVIPDined on 8/8/2014We did not intend to sit in the charming patio at 100 degrees but with the misters and foliage it is not to be missed. Food and aubience were outstanding!Special Features:
- Outstanding Celebration dinner!SixFoodiesDined on 8/6/2014Six of us were celebrating our daughter-in-law's 35th birthday and Cafe Monarch was just outstanding! Every course was delicious - we were all practically licking our plates! The crispy top Steelhead salmon was probably the best fish any of us had ever had - and the curried green lentils and baby bok choy were excellent - and I don't even like lentils! The filet was tender and delicious with the lobster mushroom risotto - the crabcakes, bruschetta with tomato jam, summer salad and chocolate fresh cherry dessert were all delightful as well - it is a really pretty place set in an old home and courtyard - service was excellent and unobstrusive - we enjoyed all of the wines served in the wine pairing - definitely a hit!Special Features:
- PhenomenalMer1970Dined on 8/5/2014This was our first time there and definitely not our last! Amazing food and service! Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatTmacVIPDined on 8/5/2014I've been a fan since the beginning. The food is awesome and the atmosphere is perfect for a date or special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very EnjoyablePHXlocalDined on 8/2/2014Everything from food to service was well above par. My only issue is that their wine list could use some fine tuning, would like to see a better selection on the higher end.Special Features:
- It lives up to the hype!KandKDined on 8/1/2014Took my wife to Cafe Monarch for her Birthday since i read all the great reviews. I'm generally not the type to write reviews, but this time i just had to. We had an amazing experience. We aren't foodies per se, and when i reviewed the menu online i wasnt sure about going but decided to give it a try. So glad we did. Probably one of the best dining experiences we have ever had. Terrific food and wine, great ambience, and outstanding service. Christian waited on our table and is also part owner. I was so impressed with this place and have been telling everyone about it. Cant wait to go back soon!! Great job Cafe Monarch!Special Features:
- The following 75 reviews are from the Cafe Monarch reviews archive.
- Great restauranttelemund33Dined on 7/26/2014I chose the restaurant for my anniversary and my wife couldn't be happier. The food was delicious, the atmosphere very romantic, the service was excellent. I believe the prices is fair, the food is well elaborated. Definitely I am going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best food ever.BigpdDined on 7/26/2014Great place. You can tell the chef poors himself into the creation of each dish. my wife and I would highly recommend cafe monarch if you love food with tons of flavor. Also the cocktails were amazing everything was so fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/26/2014amazing food, best we've had in Phoenix. Will definitely return. Service could use some fine tuning, not on par with the quality of the food and atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/25/2014Fabulous 4 course prix fix menu with wine pairing. Beautiful food, great portion size and service impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great visit to Cafe MonarchValleyFoodieDined on 7/25/2014I've had the pleasure of visiting Cafe Monarch on previous occasions. It has a great and relaxed atmosphere. Service is solid with a seasoned staff. On the occasions we've visited we typically see the same team, which tells me the Chef/owner values his team. The food is exceptional with many gourmet choices served in a prix-fixe style menu. The elegance of this process is the food is paired well with a succession of flavors making for an interesting evening. They also pair wine with the meal for a nominal $25. Which for a restaurant of this caliber is quite reasonable. Overall, if you're looking to have a relaxed "Napa-ish" style meal in the valley, Cafe Monarch should be on your list of places to try. I look forward to visiting again.Special Features:
- great patio & food, small portionscedepewDined on 7/19/2014Went on a Saturday to enjoy the 4 course menu that they offer on a weekly basis (4 courses $55 per person w/ a $25 add on per person to do the wine paring). The 1st and 2nd course were amazing; however the main meal was quite small and they overcooked my steak. While the flavors still blended nicely, it was a bit tough to chew and by the end of the meal I was still hungry and left with a $175+ bill. I love trying new places so at least there was the experience of trying something new and the patio was gorgeous and very romantic. However with a bill like that and for the many upscale restaurants I've eaten at in the past, I was displeased with the fact that I left still hungry.Special Features:
- Lovely and romanticPilofritosVIPDined on 7/19/2014This is my new favorite spot for a romantic dinner. We dined on the patio mid-Juy. Misters are a wonderful thing for Arizona. The candle lit patio was absolutely beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal in a long timeOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/15/2014I had a friend in town who was staying at the Valley Ho so I decided to take him to Cafe Monarch based on so many good reviews. So glad I did. It was pricey but I rarely get to enjoy a dinner without my kids so we decided to splurge. It was a Pre Fixe menu with a choice of two different entrees. We decided to get one of each and shared. They were both absolutely delicious. Every bite was a treat. I will definitely come back, but agan not with my kids! The restaurant is charming and the service is timed to perfection. Highly recommend to foodies, picky eaters or those following a strict diet should stay away. They focus on a few really well thought out dishes, not the place you would want to make substitutions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- extremely romanticEagleDined on 7/12/2014If you want to impress your date guys, cafe monarch is the place to go. Quaint and romantic are exactly what this place is and the food was absolutely amazing. Make sure you check the always changing menu before you go however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Goodeats5Dined on 7/11/2014Cute little restaurant in downtown Scottsdale with prix fixed dinner, reasonably priced. Definitely on my list for out of town guests, anniversaries...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing findLuvTapasDined on 7/4/2014The set menu is published weekly. Incredible creations with perfectly paired wine. Each course was amazing! We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Fantastic dining experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/3/2014Great concept that is executed flawlessly. Atmosphere, food, and service are all spot on!Special Features: