3200 Darnell Street
Fort Worth, TX 76107Neighborhood:
Fort Worth Cultural District & TCU
Fusion / EclecticPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thecafemodern.com/
- Phone: 8178402157x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Friday: 5:00pm - 8:30pm
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner Tuesday During Lecture season 'till November19th. : 5:00pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic
- Executive Chef: Dena Peterson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: With its stunning location in the Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth and its serene, reflecting-pond backdrop, The Modern can host an impressive corporate event or the wedding reception of your dreams. From start to finish, our team of planning professionals will handle every detail of your event. Our staff will prepare your food with the same care and attention they provide our individual café customers, and will make sure your special event is nothing less than a masterpiece.
For more information, rental costs, availability and menu selections, contact Café Modern.
A word from Cafe Modern
Café Modern chefs blend seasonal, local ingredients inspired by culinary traditions from around the globe. Their artfully crafted cuisine is served against the backdrop of Tadao Ando’s world renowned building in the celebrated Fort Worth Cultural District. Whether enjoying a weekday lunch, Friday night dinner or a relaxed weekend brunch, our genuine hospitality will ensure a memorable dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Cafe Modern - Best Restaurants in Fort Worth Cultural District & TCU ›
Cafe Modern reviews from OpenTable diners
116 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (83)great for brunch (70)great for lunch (68)fit for foodies (52)special occasion (52)neighborhood gem (31)romantic (31)great for outdoor dining (27)good for groups (15)hot spot (13)kid-friendly (8)notable wine list (6)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014We had a Sunday birthday brunch with 6 people. We had to call in the morning and change the reservation time and number of guests, but no problem. Service was good, food was great. Cool place for special occasions, the Modern is just a beautiful building, a very special place in Fort Worth.Special Features:
- Sunday BruncjTalefeatherDined on 8/24/2014Our reservation was for 10:30a.m., we were seated promptly and greeted by a pleasant server. Coffee was perfect, mimosa delicious and the food was not enormous in portion (a plus in my book). I ordered the Scottish French toast, my husband ordered an omelette with smoked chicken and pepper jack cheese. Both dishes were visually appealing and we're well executed. The overall ambience was quiet and serene, overlooking the shallow pond feature behind the museum. We will be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful date nightFWfunDined on 8/22/2014Dinner at the Modern on a Friday evening followed by a film at Magnolia at the Modern. Perfect evening. Love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect pretheater venueDivefanDined on 8/22/2014An ever changing menu with great fresh food. Ask about the free mimosas/bloody marys on the weekend when you show your ticket stubs.Special Features:
- Wonderful MenuAledo99Dined on 8/17/2014The restaurant is very peaceful in a beautiful setting. There are many tables by the expansive windows overlooking the water and small park. And the creative menu is constantly changing to include local produce, cheeses, and meats. We have never had a dish that we did not like, and most are exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place for BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014The service and food couldn't be better. I had to speak to the manager to comment on the high quallity of his staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always ExceptionalDiscerningDiner1Dined on 8/15/2014Love the seasonal menu, unique and delectable offerings, and the great space. It never disappoints.Special Features:
- The MuledininfineDined on 8/15/2014Great Mule cocktail! They could have noted that I was there, since I had a reservation and told them I was there. But I got an email saying I had not shown up. Otherwise, we had a good experience.Special Features:
- Great seafood & beautiful viewSeafoodloverDined on 8/13/2014The swordfish and mussels were wonderful. Veggie sandwich... not so much. Very nice ambiance. A bit pricey for s lunch. I asked for a special request (dessert) for birthday, but never received anything. The waitress was not very attentive ...didn't even clear our plates before receiving entree. But overall was a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always fantastic!!DiscerningDiner1Dined on 8/9/2014That says it all! This is a great restaurant with consistently excellent food, service, and atmosphere. Perfect place for a business lunch, Sunday brunch, or Friday night date. You can't go wrong here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SafoDined on 8/9/2014Excellent food with nice vista of the reflecting pool of the Modern Art Museum. And quiet too.Special Features:
- Better for Lunch than DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/8/2014The small portions of food were acceptable but not worthy of five star prices, as $35 for a little garnished fish filet and $20 for a decent shot of single malt (about twice that much for top shelf) is a bit excessive for a "café"; however the wait person was extremely attentive and personable. I would probably go back for lunch but would recommend Del Frisco's for the same money (or less) when looking for a nice dinner out with the spouse and an ambiance that doesn't include being surrounded by people in shorts and flip flops.Special Features:
- not inspiredlepeDined on 8/8/2014The Modern is a gorgeous, wowing museum. The cafe doesn't quite match up. Menu is uninspired. No vegetarian options as even the guacamole has bacon in it. Drinks not well made. The food appeared to have been sitting out for a while (really dried out roast chicken). The main seasoning appeared to be salt. Even the dessert menu was same old, same old. Don't worry though, you'll pay so much for the meal that you'll think you've had a one of a kind, gourmet dining experience. I would be willing to go back for brunch. It's supposed to be great. The museum itself is one of the best structures and collections I've ever visited.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was Blown AwayBlakeRealtorDFWDined on 8/7/2014The food was fantastic, creative, and simply delicious. The most unique entree, Watermelon and Shrimp salad. Presentation matched the beautiful modern artwork we had just seen in the Museum. The cucumber/dill soup is excellent. My compliments to the chef!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- brunch with house guestsfavoriteFWvisitDined on 8/3/2014We have eaten at this restaurant many times. The ambiance is great. The menu is very interesting and well thought out. The food is good, but not always quite up to the menu. The service is attentive and friendly. It is a charming place to have lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very nice experiencepickyeaterDined on 7/29/2014views are calm and scenic. Food was overall good. My black cherry pork was tender and good, vegetables over cooked and over seasoned. The shaking beef was too salty.
- Special BrunchTexanVIPDined on 7/20/2014Cafe Modern delivers on gourmet brunch fare and unique setting. Chosen for our mom's 93rd birthday, our variety of Egg Benedict dishes were all excellent. Other members of the family complimented the Peach French Toast as well. The architectural setting and view are superb, but may contribute to a higher than normal noise level. For some, Cafe Modern's menu may appear limited, but rest assured what is offered is done with perfection.Special Features:
- It's always good!nmcn26Dined on 7/20/2014Be sure to book a table because it's a small restaurant that fills up fast. Local, seasonal menu with great choices. Ordered fried green tomatoes and the BLT, both were delicious. My date had the grilled cheese which was also good. The wait staff is friendly and attwntive; service is fast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu NOT as restaurant online postdinewellDined on 7/18/2014We dined at Cafe Modern,a year ago in conjunction with First Friday and were VERY pleased with Ambiance,Service and Menu Selection.Expecting an experience comparable,we were disappointed.I visited the menu on the Open Table site and found selections,including steak,along with upscale choices,that would please our party The menu presented did not come anywhere close to the Cafe Modern post.There was NO steak,as a fallback selection.After discussion,including departing to another restaurant,we ordered,but clearly,2 of 4 in our party were not happy!Score: W1..L1 New Chef??New management?Summer Menu? SOMETHING has changed!We/I will not give up based on this one experience. The above recommendation for YES to a friend would come with caution.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service were superbPickycustomerDined on 7/15/2014The food and service were impeccable. The waiter was very friendly and very attentive all through the meal. The fish, tenderloin and watermelon salad were just great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Food and SettingArtratDined on 7/13/2014Sunday brunch at Cafe Modern is always a treat. The food is good, although I was a little disappointed with the Muffelata that is a new item on the menu - first and only time I have ever been anything but totally pleased! The setting is first rate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent ambiance mediocre foodrbc14wecDined on 6/28/2014We had a party of six for lunch at the Modern before heading over to the Kimball to see the Samurai exhibit. While not a terrible experience it was much less good than in the past. Service was a bit spotty and the food was mediocre with 5 of the people not really liking it. The Wagyu beef burger was the star but 3 Moroccan chicken salads were well below par with the salad being very uninteresting. Two ordered BLTs (though the first person who ordered was given a chicken salad but that was corrected) and the tomato is more a sauce than actual slices which neither liked. It wasn't that it was a terrible experience but it was certainly the worst experience out of the half a dozen times my wife and I have dined there and brought friends.
- love itCCCCDined on 6/27/2014great. wish they would bring back cheese tray. Love the food, drinks and staff are great. ThankSpecial Features:
- Cafe ModernSharp1Dined on 6/20/2014The Cafe Modern was a great dining experience and we were very pleased with the service and the menu! The food was very good and the service was excellent!! We were also pleased that a children's menu was provided and made dining with a child easier!! We had a great time, the only downside was that it was somewhat noisy!!Special Features:
- Too noisyfarmgirlDined on 6/20/2014While my experience with Cafe Modern has always been good, I have to say the noise level was extremely high this visit. It was distracting and hard to concentrate on my conversation with my dining partner until the crowd thinned out. I wish something could be done to tone it down. And in the checkboxes above, there should be an option for "noisy." "Energetic" isn't the right word for my experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hen59Dined on 6/15/2014Food ranges from very good to excellent. Ambiance is terrific. Service is consistently first-rate. Good choice for special occasions (Mother's Day; Father's Day, etc.) Can be noisy when crowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 6/15/2014Come here regularly throughout the year, usually for brunch. Came for Father's Day. They had a special menu for Father's Day. Kid's Menu too. Service and food were fantastic as usualSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014Great spot for special occasions or to show off the Ft. Worth art scene to out of town guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch on Father's DayTexAltsDined on 6/15/2014The brunch menu was varied and interesting--something for everyone. The Manly Quiche was savory and delicious in a puff pastry shell. The Eggs Benedict was also a hit. We will return soon!Special Features:
- Gem in the Modern MuseumSundaygourmetDined on 6/15/2014Overlooking a small, man made lake, the restaurant has indoor and outdoor seating. Menu is diverse. Something for everyone, while deliciously different. Service was immediate and food delivered quickly. Look forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful Sunday brunch/lunchFWdinerVIPDined on 6/8/2014Great setting looking out on the water and grounds of the museum. The food was outstanding (piggie in a blanket and spinach artichoke grilled cheese). A nice experience, and lots more things on the menu we will try on future visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bucsDined on 6/8/2014The chef keeps a tight handle on ALWAYS presenting GREAT food. We have been going there since it opened at the current location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience.nochainsformeDined on 6/6/2014Absolutely lovely evening from start to finish. Love the museum venue.Special Features:
- DavidDined on 6/6/2014A great Friday evening pre-show dinner. Food was great. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- Hidden GemHHIFoodieVIPDined on 6/4/2014What a wonderful surprise to find a beautiful lunch spot inside the Fort Worth Modern museum of Art. Not only was the food delicious and the service impeccable but the water view is an added bonus. My sister in law and I both had the copper river salmon special which was very tasty but then we just sat and talked for a few hours because neither one of us wanted to leave our beautiful surroundings. Can't believe my daughter has been in school at TCU all this time and I never knew about this neighborhood gem !Special Features:
- Lovely place for brunchTXmuseumloverDined on 6/1/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our brunch with a view of the man-made museum lake outside the dining area. The ambiance, service and food were all outstanding. It did get a little bit noisy just before we left as the place filled up. I would definitely recommend this cafe to anyone. The museum collection is just a few steps from the cafe, so we were able to walk off some calories after brunch. The first Saturday of the month is free at the museum, and we were able to take advantage of that perk.Special Features:
- Nice Place for Brunchvox75Dined on 6/1/2014We always enjoy ourselves here. Nice menu, good food, and open-air feel with all the windows.Special Features:
- Good not greatKcjimjDined on 6/1/2014Nice for brunch. Menu is small but interesting, could benefit from a bit bigger selections. Eg the only omelette was with sautéed spinach, not everyone's breakfast favorite. First Sunday is free admission at the museum, so drop by for brunch and a walk through the modern art museum.Special Features:
- Favorite decompression spothudsonsfolksDined on 6/1/2014Food and service are always excellent. Rotating menu provides fresh innovations regularly so food choices don't get stale. Ambience is so peaceful and relaxing that I can't think of a better place to decompress. The barman keeps coming up with fresh cocktail ideas if you like to experiment but the classics are always available. Nice wine list with multiple choices by the glass. All in all, one of our favorite retaurants in Fort Worth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "Modern" diningDulleNotedVIPDined on 5/31/2014This cafe in the Fort Worth Modern Art Museum is pretty spectacular. We've eaten in many museum cafes across the US and Europe, and would rate this among the best. The food is always interesting and well prepared, along with being beautifully presented. Chef Dina uses fresh, seasonal ingredients, sourced locally when possible. We're so lucky to live near the Museum and be able to eat there often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.