3251 Prospect Street, NW
Washington, DC 20007Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafemilano.com/
- Phone: (202) 333-6183
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Tuesday: 4:00pm - 1:00am, Wednesday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 2:00am, Sunday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Fabio Salvatore
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Café Milano now offers catering for private dinners and small off-site events. Please call for details.
- Entertainment: Live music offered periodically.
- Cross Street: Wisconsin Avenue NW
- Public Transit: Metrobuses # 32, 34, 35 and 36. The closest stop is Wisconsin Avenue and N Street. Foggy Bottom Metro stop, on the Blue/Orange line is the closest Metro stop. The DC Circulator can also be used as an alternative bus option.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Two public lots & street parking are available.
A word from Café Milano
Cafe Milano provides first-class Italian cuisine, facilitating all your event needs, from private receptions, corporate events, anniversaries & birthdays to fundraisers, seminars, & book parties. Semi-private arrangements are also possible in any of the private rooms or the main dining room.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Café Milano reviews from OpenTable diners
183 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (94)fit for foodies (89)great for outdoor dining (77)hot spot (70)notable wine list (69)neighborhood gem (68)romantic (48)great for lunch (45)vibrant bar scene (38)good for groups (32)late-night find (19)great for brunch (18)scenic view (5)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Exceptional restaurantMichaelVIPDined on 11/18/2014This was the first time we reserved a spot for a full meal (vs. pizza). The service is generally outstanding (a suave captain, a relatively attentive server and an accommodating busboy). The menu was exquisitely explained by the captain. All three of my food preparations were outstanding (prosciutto cotto, JJ salad and Gucci pasta). My companion had a similar experience, though the special seafood pasta was rather bland. And: caveat emptor!! Be careful in reading the menu. The aforesaid pasta special was actually.... $50!!! That is pretty outrageous but our oversight cost us dearly. Wines are extremely high priced. Ask about corkage - it's available for the economy-conscious. I would return to have a similar meal: this is one of the finest DC restaurants (for food, service and ambiance) I have experienced. Bravissimo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatRon3405VIPDined on 11/15/2014Cafe Milano never disappoints. The food is amazing and the staff is first class. We had never previously sat in the upstairs seating area, and it was very nice - but sitting downstairs is much preferred. You'll enjoy the energy and scene from the downstairs seating area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night overalllovesitalianDined on 11/15/2014The night started out rocky when we had to wait for our table (when we had a 7:30 reservation) and then were forgotten about as no server came to us for 20 minutes but... The staff did everything in their power to make it up to us. Our first round of drinks and dessert were comped, which was super nice. The food was great and we will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great!GianfrancosVIPDined on 11/11/2014The lunch was delicious, service great, and outdoor seating on a beautiful day was relaxing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/7/2014Had a good dining experience at Cafe Milano. Very good service and good wine selection. A bit pricey for italian food, but a nice change of pace from your average italian restaurant.Special Features:
- Excellent foodElighsacDined on 11/5/2014Milano was recommended and I am very glad I heeded the recommendationSpecial Features:
- nice but overpricedDCRunnerEatsDined on 10/31/2014I'm used to DC restaurant prices, but this is just over the top for what you're getting.Special Features:
- FJAADined on 10/27/2014The service is consistently outstanding so is the quality of food and the professionalism of staffSpecial Features:
- OutstandingRobFromDCVIPDined on 10/26/2014We had a wonderful Sunday lunch at Cafe Milano. The weather was ideal for seating on their sunny outdoor patio. For the details, the menu at Café Milano includes authentic seafood items that I have only had previously while in Liguria (Genoa, Cinque Terre) and pastas from Lombardy (Milano) and meat dishes from Emilia-Romagna. We noticed a number of Italians at the restaurant and for good reason. They can find a taste home at Café Milano. The only downside was Tiramisu for dessert, which while good, was not at the caliber of the rest of the meal. We would definitely go back for special occasions; all of this great food comes at a high cost.Special Features:
- Buzzing as usualMillsVIPDined on 10/25/2014Milano doesn't disappoint, despite some very raucous clients. The adage "You don't go there for the food" doesn't apply, although that seems to be its reputation. We have always found the food excellent, and not overpriced for the ambiance. Everyone seems to be having fun. This time the service disappointed. I had to ask for a pre-dinner drink. We felt rushed to order; once we did, our starter was delivered immediately, alongside my kir and the glass of wine I ordered. Not acceptable at these (or any) prices. We had to ask for bread, and I hadn't finished my starter when the busboy tried to take it away (twice). On the plus side, they gave us our traditional table that we had requested and the food was very good. It's a trade-off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumtastingtheworldDined on 10/25/2014Delicious pasta, great wine list, friendly service, overall no complaints.Special Features:
- Overrated hot spotOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/24/2014For a noted Georgetown hot spot the food, service were mediocre at best. The room was over crowded and frenetic for a special occasion. The staff were too busy to give good service and the hostess greeting was somewhat of a cold fish. Overpriced and underwhelmed.Special Features:
- Best Italian AroundFoodieLadyDined on 10/19/2014Cafe Milano has been a favorite of mine and my family's and we continue to enjoy it today. It is one of the best restaurants in the DC area. Service is always impeccable and the food is some of the best Italian I have ever had outside of Italy. Bravo to Cafe Milano for consistency, quality, and outstanding taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classy operationDualGhiaDined on 10/17/2014While we had to wait 20 minutes for our reservation, the host was gracious and provided a complimentary bottle of wine for our inconvenience. The food was very good.Special Features:
- Special but make it a regular thingLuv2mangiaDined on 10/17/2014From appetizers to salads to entrees--incredibly fresh and flavorful. Unique offerings make it extra special. Warm friendly staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BruceDined on 10/16/2014Always visit when I'm in town, the best in food and the bar scene cant be beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice but priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/11/2014I've paid less at 5-star restaurants. It's a nice place but way overpriced.Special Features:
- Great for business meetingsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/9/2014Expensive place for lunch meetings. The service and food are great though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Needs to Match the ServiceabcdVIPDined on 10/5/2014I so looked forward to my premiere excursion to Cafe Milano. The service was courtly and impeccable; no complaints there. My glass of Chianti was lovely. The food-utterly ordinary. I had the fried calamari and zucchini to start. The arrabiata sauce was good, the calamari was serviceable, but the zucchini was so dry and thin that the pieces crumbled upon touch and could not be picked up by a fork. My main course of scallops and grouper over risotto was not good. The scallops were chewy and the grouper was tough and chewy, awful. For dessert we had tiramisu, which was very good indeed. If you sit in the indoor/outdoor patio, please be aware that car lights from the active parking lot opposite and street noise may be distracting.Special Features:
- DC staple...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/4/2014We have been to Washington and have gone to this restaurant in Georgetown several times. It is always crowded and lively with good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, marginal serviceChooseyDined on 10/3/20144 of us shared a pizza starter which was absolutely unremarkable and tasteless. The angel hair pasta with tomato and basil was overwhelmed with sauce. It would have been excellent if not for the drenching. The other pasta dish, i can't remember the name, a white sauce with pepper, was perfect. Probably the best ever. The four star rating for the food is in recognition of that dish and the desserts, which was provided without charge due to the concern we expressed about the tomato sauce. The cheesecake and tiramisu were worth the evening. The waiter seemed out of character for the style and expense of the restaurant. He had zero personality, and disappeared after bringing the wine. Service improved after he was summoned. Pricey!Special Features:
- Not trying anymoreChrisVIPDined on 10/2/2014Too expensive now and the menu a bit tired. Resting on past laurels.Special Features:
- Good foodAnniversaryDined on 9/28/2014Food was excellent but a bit pricey Staff was a bit rude in the beginning not sure if they even realized.I would recommend this to a friend.
- satisfaction guaranteedKozilikeitDined on 9/26/2014Every time we dine here we feel so at home. Great service, wonderful food. Try the Madona wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SticksDined on 9/26/2014Cafe Milano came highly recommended to us, but I left feeling mixed about our experience. While the food was good and nicely presented, the service felt chaotic. There were too many waitstaff among crowded tables and their hustle and bustle made for a less than relaxing dining experience, even though we were dining early at 6:30 pm. Our maitre d'/ somolier was aggressive in pushing us to order drinks and our meal. He really ruined the evening for us by setting a rushed tone. We had a good meal, but could not wait to get out of the restaurant and would likely not return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/23/2014Food just not very good. Two of the pastas were dominated by the same bolognese sauce that tasted like it came out of a can.
- Be seen in Georgetown!SamHoustonVIPDined on 9/23/2014Great food, bit overpriced, but great place to meet friends and enjoy some wine and the specials.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just WonderfulDbf22VIPDined on 9/19/2014I felt like I was in Italy! The food here is so amazing and the staff from the sommelier to the waiter and even the bus staff are exceptional. I will always make Cafe Milano a stop on our trips to DC and so should youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe Milano Never DisappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/18/2014My wife and I frequent Cafe Milano perhaps five times per year. In each instance, we are treated to exceptional food, exceptional wine, and exceptional service. Our last visit, just this week, we were thoroughly pleased with Franceso, who made wonderful recommendations, was attentive, but not hovering, and wonderfully engaging. He is one of the reasons we keep coming back.Special Features:
- Need to be somebody for a good seatMcKenna11Dined on 9/17/2014Great food at not so bad prices.seated us in the back with no choice of outside or in main area even though seats were available. We had a reservation. Treated like naive tourists even though we are business travelers. Did not appreciate it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always outstanding76BluehenVIPDined on 9/16/2014I have dined here many time but this was the first time for 2 member of my group (4 total) Everyone was seriously impressed. We were on a budget and our waiter recommended a very good wine that was not pricey and fit our budget. Food is simply awesome and service is second to none. I highly recommend. I always tell my friends to try the pounded and grilled veal chop - the one who did was the winner this night. He simply couldnt believe how great it was.Special Features:
- Fair at bestRyanDined on 9/16/2014For all the raves I had heard of Cafe Milano, I was unimpressed. The service was fair to middling, slow to be exact, and some stuff was forgotten. Food was okay - I've had better. And the hostess at the reception certainly didn't make one feel very welcome. Overall, not an experience I'm likely to repeat or recommend.
- Authentic!!lovegreatfoodDined on 9/15/2014Just so good! Everyone was nice and welcoming. The house-made pasta was over the top. We had a wide variety of items and we loved them all.Special Features:
- Too expensive for quality offeredWashadelphianDined on 9/13/2014Cafe Milano is certainly a "see and be seen" type place in Georgetown. It's not uncommon to see senators, representatives and ambassadors sipping a glass of wine behind you. The atmosphere is great, and location is it's best quality. However, I was a underwhelmed by the service and food itself. My girlfriend and I went for a date, and I had been looking forward to CM for quite sometime. We were seated outside and had to request for service several times on a relatively uncrowded Saturday evening. I got the veal which was good, but not worth the price I paid. Moreover, the dessert was forgettable and the wine recommendation was not stellar. Overall, a fine dining experience, but with the bill that followed, likely won't be back again.Special Features:
- Cafe Milano was superbFoodiefrommiamiDined on 9/11/2014The food was absolutely amazing. The service impeccable. I had the linguine with lobster in spicy marinara and it was perfectly prepared. The prosciutto and melon was generously portioned, as were the wine pours.Special Features:
- cafe milanochsdining10yearsDined on 9/6/2014Changed our dinner reservation to lunch and it was absolutely exceptional. The food, the service and the attentive wait staff made for a spectacular lunch. we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still GreatDCDinerVIPDined on 9/4/2014Cafe Milano is one of a very few number of restaurants in DC that has been able to maintain its cache over the years. It has kept up with the times, and neither has dated decor nor a dated menu. Still a great crowd. Great that it has late hours - much appreciated. Only suggestion would be to improve the service a slight bit (staff can be a bit more attentive), although that too is very good. Cafe Milano still stands heads and shoulders among its many peer restaurants opening throughout the city.Special Features:
- Fantastic Birthday DinnerFitforfoodiesVIPDined on 9/4/2014Took my wife to this D.C. staple for the first time and was not disappointed. Service was stellar and the food was incredible. Would highly recommend it to everyone.Special Features:
- Over-Hyped & Over-PricedmangianatVIPDined on 8/29/2014The restaurant is quite lovely, but the food is nothing particularly special. The owners obviously do, because everything is so over-priced. They do offer a really good tiramisu.
- Never disappointsLuv2dineDined on 8/28/2014My guest and I met for a business dinner. We had impeccable service from the time we were greeted & seated, to our wine/dinner recommendations, to the service we received during dinner. I would absolutely recommend this restaurant to anyone, regardless of the occasion.Special Features: