110 E. Lemon Avenue
Monrovia, CA 91016Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Home Style
- Website: http://www.cafemassilia.com/
- Phone: (626) 471-3588
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast - Lunch - Dinner
Take Out - Delivery - Catering
MONDAY 4:30 PM - 8:30 PM
TUESDAY 4:00 PM - 8:30 PM
WEDNESDAY 11:00 AM - 8:30 PM
THURSDAY 9:00 AM - 8:30 PM
FRIDAY 9:00 AM - 9:30 PM
SATURDAY 10:00 AM - 10:00 PM
SUNDAY 9:00 AM - 8:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Contemporary French, Contemporary European
- Executive Chef: ALEXANDRE KIEFFER
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We offer catering services for events ranging from 8 to 500 people. Cafe Massilia believes every event has its own specific needs, therefore our professional staff will take their time to customize each and every event. Cafe Massilia is a full service caterer known for its excellent quality of food and outstanding service. We want you to feel free to mix and match as many items from as many categories as you wish. Please call one of our event specialists with any questions you might have, or to get information on menus and services.
- Private Party Contact: Philippe 6265102138x
- Special Events: Wine Tasting Dinners - Three Course Dinner paired with French Wines - Held Every 1st Friday of the Month. Starts with Welcome Champagne at 6:45 pm and promptly follows Dinner Service with introduction of Wines at 7:00 pm by our guest Sommeliere. Not to be missed!
A word from Cafe Massilia
Quality food coupled with great service is exactly what you will find at Cafe Massilia. Created in the mold of a bistro that can be found all over France, Café Massilia is neither too formal nor too uptight - it is a friendly and relaxed environment where customers can enjoy a great dining experience and taste authentic, traditional French cuisine. With an old world charm and welcoming décor, Café Massilia offers Breakfast served until 11:30am during the week and until 4 p.m. on the weekends, and champagne or mimosas are endless at these times. In addition to dining in, Café Massilia features boxed lunch meals, catering, pick-up and delivery for a variety of occasions.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Cafe Massilia - Best Restaurants in Monrovia ›
Cafe Massilia reviews from OpenTable diners
16 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (13)romantic (8)fit for foodies (6)notable wine list (5)special occasion (5)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (2)late-night find (2)good for groups (2)hot spot (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- opentablefanVIPDined on 11/5/2014A charming restaurant, very good food at very reasonable prices. Not fancy.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/2/2014We ordered the 3-course prix fixe menu: onion soup and eggs/mayo were excellent. entrees were trout and paella. Trout was excellent; paella was days old and reheated, very poor. Deserts wee crème brulee, just average, and tarte tatin, inedible with rubber crust and burned bitter apples
- Best authenic French country foodThereIsHope4UDined on 10/8/2014Always a treat when I am in the Duarte/Pasadena - makes me look forward for my drive from SF to LA area. Had yet another wonderful dining experience, marvelous home-cooking style food, and a restaurant owner who hosts his guests like friends from France. Voila! Gets 5 stars well earned with food, with charm, and with a big French heart worn on the sleeve.. A true culinary French ambassador to California.Special Features:
- great french bistro styleGreatPasFoodDined on 9/27/2014Great neighborhood restaurant. When we were looking for a place to celebrate, we considered all over LA, and ended up at Masilla. Food is quite good, but the service really sets it apart. The menu is what one would consider traditional bistro family fare. My usual go to is the moules frites. And we always get at least one order of escargot. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bad foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/21/2014I ordered fish. fish was not hot nor warm. seems like just being thaw. food took forever to come out. Not terribly busy. I realized most ppl ordered pasta. Iwas disappointed because this was for a birthday.
- Hidden gem!SoozieqzVIPDined on 9/17/2014Met a friend for dinner here, taking advantage of the 1,000 point reservation and what a terrific find! Tucked away just off the main street is this darling establishment. We shared a salad and the pasta Carbonara, definitely enough for us both and super delicious! Service was quick, efficient and friendly. Unfortunately I do not live nearby but will happily return when back in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!MARIA6167VIPDined on 9/6/2014My hubby and I came for dinner here on a Saturday evening and were very, very impressed with the overall service from this cute little restaurant! As soon as we arrived, we were greeted immediately by the bar server and the host. Both male, and I feel bad I don't remember their names, but they were absolutely great. The onion soup was delicious and I absolutely loved my salmon and my husband really enjoyed his chicken. This place is now a favorite of ours that we will frequent a lot. The food did take a little bit to come out, but we all need to be realistic that if we want fresh made to order food, the wait is very well worth it.Special Features:
- A great occasional treatKarenatorVIPDined on 8/29/2014We were actually taking a trip to France shortly after this dinner and thought it would get us in the mood for French food. :) We always enjoy eating here.Special Features:
- PeterVIPDined on 8/27/2014The best fixe menu in the Los Angeles area with great food on top of it. The place is small and intimate, the menu features numerous options for dinner from the Fixe menu to ordering ala carte. If you enjoy French food and a quiet atmosphere with excellent service this is the place to go to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting findIrishRickDined on 8/16/2014This is a very small French restaurant, tucked away on a side street in Monrovia. Our party had a 5 pm Sat. reservation and when we arrived we were the only ones there. Even by the time we left the place was never busy. Interesting pricing: all the sides are one, same with entrees and desserts. Food was generally very good, with a few inconsistencies. Very good French onion soup. The steak au poivre was very peppery. I liked it, but some may not. It was cooked perfectly. This entrée came with au gratin potatoes which were also very good and not runny. The carrot/zucchini medley however, was stone cold. The service was adequate, but a bit slow. Empty plates were left on the table far too long. Interesting menu, worth another chance.Special Features:
- PleasingmopeyDined on 8/1/2014The restaurant is quaint, very clean and has pleasing French decor. The server was cheerful, efficient and very kind. The food was excellent, and the prices are very reasonable. We will go there again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 105 reviews are from the Cafe Massilia reviews archive.
- Cafe Masillia Oui!iluv2shopVIPDined on 7/24/2014We went for the 1000 points. However - the food was excellent and we were plesantly surprised. A tiny neighborhood cafe, with maybe a dozen tables. We went on a Thursday for dinner. The Thursday special is the beef bourguignon and it was just as I hoped it would be - meltingly tender beef, potatoes, carrots & mushrooms in a flavorful and savory sauce for $17.95. Most of the entrees are $16.95. The wine list accessed from their Open Table web site has very outdated prices and even stated to go to the restaurant web site for a current wine list. The Cafe Masillia web site does not have a wine list. The service was a bit slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GO THERE !FrogGourmet1Dined on 7/11/2014This was not the first time we have been at Cafe Massilia. We were there this time at the specific request of a friend who had so enjoyed her first lunch there that she asked that we meet there again, also for lunch. Our experience was all positive, including a very good seafood crepe and the waitress was very pleasant and attentive. The only sour note was the music, which was way too loud for us, even after we asked that it be turned down. The location of this restaurant is great for a visit to Monrovia, which still has a "small town" feel about its downtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's Paris!AnniversaryVIPDined on 6/29/2014Every time we go to Cafe Massilia it's like being back in Paris. Wonderful food, great ambience, and awesome service......Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic little bistroLarryMVIPDined on 6/29/2014Charming, romantic little bistro with well prepared food and not quite ready for prime time service.Special Features:
- CharmingsuperchinkVIPDined on 6/28/2014We were seeking a restaurant close to the movie theater where we might enjoy fine dining with limited time and not feeling like we were rushed. This intimate, charming restaurant fit the bill. Food nicely represented France and left the diner pleasantly fulfilled.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing MealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/27/2014This is the third time we have gone to this restaurant. The first two times were good. This last time was very disappointing. The melon prosciutto should not have included balsamic vinegar and the entrees (duck breast and salmon) had a poor selection of flavors. The cream puffs for desserts were the worse I had ever had - not really puffs, more like pancakes. In addition, the service was very spotty and unsophisticated. I was even more dissapointed because I had chosen the restaurant for our anniversary, and it really dampened what would otherwise be a great occasion. I am sorry, but it was a bad experience, and we are usually pretty forgiving of service and food.
- Try the lamb!AClaremontianFoodieDined on 6/27/2014My rack of lamb and the pasta dishes were wonderful. The chicken was a little rubbery, although the flavor was nice. We were a party of six and first they forgot one of the appetizers and then one of the desserts, but very friendly service. I would have thought there would have been an accommodation (discount on the dessert or something) to apologize for each of these folks having to eat alone.Special Features:
- early morning reviewDonnaDined on 6/22/2014I've dined at Café Massilia a few times and the food is good and the staff delightful. I think perhaps they were a little understaffed first thing in the morning. I had the eggs benedict and they were deliciously perfect, as was my husbands French ToastSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, slow servicecrisismanagerDined on 6/21/2014The food at our dinner-for-two was delicious, but our waiter and the busboy almost seemed to be moving in slow motion. Not the kind of slow that says "We're giving you lots of time to enjoy your meal and company," but the kind of slow that speaks to either under-staffing or poor supervision. For example, 10 minutes after we'd already received our leftover doggie bags to go, we still didn't have a check to pay and I had to ask for it - twice. And we waited at least that long to get waited on in the first place. There was also one bit of food service I considered a little tacky, considering the quality of everything else - serving butter in the type of little foil-covered containers from which you have to pry off the lid.Special Features:
- French is NeatSteveVIPDined on 6/19/2014I came here on a quiet Thursday evening and enjoyed the peaceful nature of the restaurant. The combination is the way to go, and I went with the fresh fish. They have specials each day, and I just missed the rabbit on Wednesday. Although the restaurant is small, the chef is of a quality nature, and it shows through their presentation.Special Features:
- Owner needs to be there...bkbensonDined on 6/15/2014We love this place…BUT only when the owners are there. Without them it is a chaotic mess with a nervous, poorly trained and inept staff. The food was terrible and poorly presented. Exceptionally small portions also - and some major ingredients were missing Like half the toppings for the salads, including the meat. Crazy! Food had to be sent back but what we got back was equally disappointing. I can't begin to tell you how sad we were to experience such a holiday with the worst restaurant ever - Massilia WAS NOT the place to be at this last Father's Day. Others around us were having similar problems. Our party came from Santa Monica, San Antonio Heights, Simi Valley and Santa Clarita Estates. The owners need to know this.
- Daughter's BirthdaySteveVIPDined on 5/30/2014We tried this 1000 point restaurant on my daughter's birthday and was surprised to see a reservation open. The staff appear relatively new and inexperienced and not really with it. I think the food makes up for it though, as the quality is above average. At times, the meal was a little too salty (french onion soup) and the staff took a really long time to even give us menus. I may try again for an early dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and delicious foodmserrano714Dined on 5/28/2014We went with a party of 8. Service was fantastic and the food was delicious and very reasonably priced.Special Features:
- DeliciousSpunkyKDined on 5/11/2014Phillipe is always gracious. The servers are attentive and the food is delicious and a refreshing change of pace.Special Features:
- great food and fun environmentfunfoodiDined on 5/10/2014Cafe Massilia has a lovely atmosphere and the food is outstanding - nice folks take care of you, and it's was a very positive choice - a new one for us, and now a keeper. It feels like you've traveled to another country for a little while, and got lucky.Special Features:
- No rush lunchNoRushLunchVIPDined on 5/10/2014If you want to linger and be on Euro time, this is a great place for a relaxing lunch. Onion soup and salads were the best. Pass on the crepes. Friendly and welcoming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but Nothing specialChillynvDined on 5/9/2014The food was good, not exceptional and the portions were small. The place felt kind of old, Christmas garland was still on the walls. Service was the best part.
- Tuesday wine dinnerAnniversaryVIPDined on 5/6/2014Tuesdays starting at 4 - live music and 1/2 price wine. Limited menu. Enjoyed cheese platter and assorted cold meat. Perfect chance to try many different wines at 1/2 price. Love the outdoor dog friendly seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sonicfoodieVIPDined on 5/3/2014Once you walk into the restaurant, I felt like I just traveled to France. The decor was just perfect and the music fits perfectly. It is a rather small restaurant but very romantic. The waiters were very helpful and prompt. The food was delicious. My favorite was the seafood pasta and the calamari. The price you pay and the food you get is well worth it. I would totally come back again.Special Features:
- Dog friendlyAnniversaryVIPDined on 4/28/2014Dining inside reminds me of being back in Paris. Dining outside is like being back in Provence! A big plus for dog friendly patio seating. A new found gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesomeVIPDined on 4/27/2014Love the servers...they actually spoke French...&!the owner is from France!.can't beat the $8 bottomless mimosa..we went during Sunday brunch, not many customers but that was fine us got 1st dibs on the tables outside. Owners 13yr old niece was there from France, it was so cute that she may not have known English but she kinda tried. Would def go there again!!Special Features:
- a piece of FranceihosvannyDined on 4/26/2014This restaurant is very romantic and cozy. The food is delicious and I will be coming back fir sureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Felt like ParistreatmasterVIPDined on 4/24/2014I met a friend for lunch, first time for both of us at this restaurant. We have both been to France and absolutely loved this place. We felt like we were back in France. The food was amazing. Can't wait to go for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful BrunchRustyDined on 4/20/2014The Escargot Massilia, amazingly good! Salade Tomate Et Mozzarella is another fine choice before your entrée. Pates Fruit De Mer - menu says w/red sauce, not mine, oops - probably why it was a bit dry, I would have added a tad more cream (but I'm not the chef). To complete this meal the Profiteroles are delicate and delightful. Not your 'romantic' restaurant but a GREAT date restaurant. Philippe & his staff made this dining experience delightful for my wife & I.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy with Great FoodJedkydhoVIPDined on 4/20/2014We went here for Easter Sunday Brunch and enjoyed ourselves as there were not as many people as I would have expected. The food was pretty good but, not enough to get an outstanding rating. My wife had the Chef's special quiche which was very good but, just a little overcooked on the bottom. I had the eggs benedict which I will order when I can but, here the eggs were just a little bit too runny with everything else being outstanding. The service was attentive which could have been better if they weren't talking to each other so much out in the restaurant itself (should take those conversations into the back). Prices were just a little higher than I expected for what is on the menu but, what isn't too high these days.Special Features:
- Just like ParisAnniversaryVIPDined on 4/9/2014Charming little cafe. Friendly waiter, fantastic food, reasonable prices. The decor and music make you think you are in Paris.Special Features:
- ExceptionalBrianTVIPDined on 3/7/2014Cafe Massilia is a neighborhood gem. The menu offers authentic French cuisine that is expertly prepared. Once you walk through the door you are transported France.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best place for date night. Ever.frazgoDined on 2/15/2014Our meal was exquisitly prepared. Not a hitch in the meal. We did the fixed price 3 course dinner and weren't disappointed. We ordered the French Onion soup for our starter. It arrived piping hot with ooey gooey cheese floating on the baguette. It is honestly the best soup of its kind in the city, perfect balance of sweet from the onion, acid from the wine and just the right amount of thyme herbaciousness. For the Main she had a salmon fillet in a wine reduction sauce with fried potatoe and garlic sauteed green beens. Not a complaint. I had the peppered beef fillet with a peppercorn/shallot cream sauce that was just the best thing I've had in ages. Same sides were included. Dessert and wine came to $84 with tip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small French restaurantjlkLAVIPDined on 2/15/2014Masilla only has a dozen tables so reservations for dinner are a must. Owner makes you feel special. Limited wine list with very reasonable prices. Desserts are wonderful. Main courses are just average last visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.