Cafe Mare Italian Restaurant
740 Front St, #100
Santa Cruz, CA 95060Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Cafe Mare Italian Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafemare.com/
- Phone: 8314581212x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30 AM - 2:30 PM, Saturday - Sunday: 11:30 AM - 4:00 PM;
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00 PM - 10:00 PM, Saturday - Sunday: 4:00 PM - 10:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Jean-Pierre Luliano
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please contact the restaurant for details
- Private Party Facilities: Cafe Mare is the perfect place for your next private party or a group event. We can accommodate groups up to 150 people and offer private and semi-private seating inside and outside. We offer custom preset menus that will surely satisfy everyone’s craving.
- Private Party Contact: Jean-Pierre & Andrea Mura 8314581212x
- Entertainment: Private Parties.
- Special Events: Contact us at 831-458-1212
A word from Cafe Mare Italian Restaurant
Old world charm in the heart of Santa Cruz, authentic Italian cuisine with an extensive wine list and a full bar. Open for lunch and dinner seven days a week, large groups welcome, patio dining, house made pasta, desserts and bread, gluten free options, all organic produce and sustainable sea food, fresh meats including free range veal. Ample public parking. reservations for groups of 10 or more must leave credit card number, reservations must be cancelled 24 hours prior date of event or $25 per person fee will be charged.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Cafe Mare Italian Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Santa Cruz ›
Cafe Mare Italian Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
25 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (9)special occasion (9)neighborhood gem (9)fit for foodies (8)romantic (6)notable wine list (3)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (2)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (1)kid-friendly (1)hot spot (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Check It OutOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/23/2012My family and I went on a very stormy day December 23rd, so there were very few customers. It was a perfect place for foodies with kids. Besides the regular menu, they offered a kid's menu. You must try the Saltimbocca, the best thing that we ordered at our table. I look forward to returning to Cafe Mare in order to try the other items on the menu and perhaps Brunch.Special Features:
- I always enjoy eating at CafeOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 12/9/2012I always enjoy eating at Cafe Mare. Their food is tasty and appropriately priced. This time I ordered pork but they brought me fish! It was delicious, though, so I ate it up. They comped our post-dinner coffee, which was fine with me.
- Excellent food and wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/12/2012Excellent food and wonderful service. I can't believe I have not been here before. Would definitely recommend to other people.Special Features:
- The food was very flavorfulDenBDined on 11/10/2012The food was very flavorful & well presented. The waitress was there when we needed her and informative. Highly recommendSpecial Features:
- Delicious EntreesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/2/2012The entrees we had were delicious, and the prosecco was ice cold and very fresh. I would pass on the appetizers and caesar salad next time though. A little pricey, but a great romantic location!Special Features:
- This is our favorite ItalianyumtofoodDined on 10/5/2012This is our favorite Italian restaurant in Santa Cruz. Maybe even favorite overall! Truly authentic and delicious!Special Features:
- Everything was wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/5/2012Everything was wonderful! Appetizer, salad, entree, dessert, limoncello, espresso, wait staff from waitress to manager to owner - most welcoming informative and genuine! Will be back soon!Special Features:
- Excellent restaurant for greatUpfromSantaCruzDined on 9/29/2012Excellent restaurant for great food and service! Authentic Italian cuisine!Special Features:
- Excellent service and greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/28/2012Excellent service and great food! Will go back again for sure!Special Features:
- Great meal. There was a veryOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/8/2012Great meal. There was a very large party going on which made for a very noisy room. Will go back.
- A great place to go for outtiffetalVIPDined on 8/23/2012A great place to go for out of towners who want to get away from the tourist trap restaurants. Food was super fresh, organic and delicious!! We just would go back and would recommend to others traveling to the area.Special Features:
- frustrating experience...OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/20/2012The waiter was pleasant and punctual, but the food took 45 minuted because apparently the cook "lost our order". Everyone around us (folks who came after, seemed to get and nearly finish their meals by the time we got ours)Then when we got it, it wasn't fully cooked. Wasn't the anniversary dinner I was hoping for by any means. After all the above, no discount either.
- Good food, generous ambiance, quietFoodieVIPDined on 8/19/2012Cafe Mare is a fine place to eat in Santa Cruz, especially if you have a large group and want to hear yourself talk. I've never been there when if was over-crowded. Sometimes the service is slow. That's the only drawback, but if you're in a group it doesn't matter. We've often gone there after an event. Not sure if one can depend on quick service before the event. Nice generous atmosphere and white table cloths!Special Features:
- We love going here whetherOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/11/2012We love going here whether it's just my husband and me for a romantic tryst or with the kids.Special Features:
- This was a great find; goodMcCarterCoupleDined on 7/31/2012This was a great find; good food at reasonable prices with a friendly and attentive staff. Would definitely return.Special Features:
- Just Keeps Getting BetterbcneusDined on 7/16/2012Cafe Mare is under new ownership. Two of the employees purchased the restaurant and the food is now better than ever! We've eaten there 3 times over the last 2 months a loved it every time. Last night my husband and I had the lasagna special (soon to be on the new menu) and loved it. It had homemade egg noodles and a beautiful bolognese sauce along with bechemel-yum! My niece and her boyfriend, visiting from out of town, had the stuffed chicken and penne pasta alla vodka. The both said their meals were outstanding. Our family loves Italian food and this food tasted like it was made it a small Italian village-fresh, rustic, and great flavors. We are now making this our "go to" place for a great night out. A nice meal for a good price.Special Features:
- I picked the restaurant becauseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/13/2012I picked the restaurant because it was close to my other events of the night, and the food was surprisingly good.Special Features:
- Big Disappointment at $50/customerOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/16/2012First time I've felt the need to write. party of five. Two veal scallopine. The meat was tough and stuck together, looked and tasted as though it had been boiled (nuked?)and it didn't smell right?? Both with the saltimbocca sauce, both diners (who are fond of salt) found the dish overly salty, both diners complained of the saltiness of the dish, another diner had red snapper and complained of the salt as well. The chefs response was that the three dishes had salty elements, i.e. one should be happy and not complain. (60 years of age, I've eaten before). Lastly, two seafood soups, the prawns and calamari were way overcooked and tough("cafe mare" expert?) very little broth. $250 w/only $16 bar, automatic tip of 18% (taken on total WITH tax!)
- Satisfaction guaranteedsandydandyDined on 5/13/2012Lovley setting, sweet and compete t wait staff , and really great food, what more could a foodie want?Special Features:
- I thoroughly enjoyed my diningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/10/2012I thoroughly enjoyed my dining experience at Cafe mare and the music was excellent. Thank you I'll be coming backSpecial Features:
- we were visiting ucsc andOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/5/2012we were visiting ucsc and this was a lovely ending to a wonderful daySpecial Features:
- Love this place and so doesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/4/2012Love this place and so does everyone I bring there. The food is ALL homemade, fresh, and mostly organic. The staff are such nice people you feel like part of the family! A must do in Santa Cruz!!!!Special Features:
- My boyfriend and I dined hereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/27/2012My boyfriend and I dined here on Monday night and the food was delicious! Definitely a great place to go for a romantic night out :)Special Features:
- Was there for Valentine'sMyrnaMDined on 2/14/2012Was there for Valentine's day, service was good. I had a salmon pasta, the salmon was tasty but it was a bit limited, as there was not much salmon there. The sauce was good. My husband had a spaghetti with bolonese sauce that was very good.Special Features:
- Nothing special, nothing Italian.0mnivoreDined on 2/11/2012Food is OK. Not very special restaurant dining. There isn't anything Italian here, except that they have some Pizza on the menu. Three meals were $85 without wine and 2 appetizers. Service was very friendly, but there were surprisingly long intervals when there appeared to be not a single server of any kind among the tables. Several times, we and other diners were looking around fruitlessly for any kind of staff help.
- Excellent, fresh food. Slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/5/2012My fiance and I were walking downtown, and in the mood for Italian, so we booked a table online. There was one party seated already, and then one family of 6 who walked in with us. We were seated by the bartender, who was extremely friendly. That, unfortunately, was where the great service ended. We were often left waiting for extended periods of time for the simplest of things [bringing back our debit card, coming to take our order, bringing me a coke from the bar], when the restaurant was almost entirely empty. The girl that bussed our table, and the bartender, were 10x more useful than our waitress. The food, however, was excellent, and fresh. I asked for a simple shrimp alfredo, which was not on the menu, and they accommodated!
- We have dined here many times,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/14/2012We have dined here many times, and have never had anything less than an exceptional meal. The food is impeccably prepared and presented, prices are reasonable, and the wait staff is attentive and friendly but unobtrusive. We prefer Cafe Mare for a quiet dinner for two as well as a leisurely lunch with friends and family gatherings on special occasions.Special Features:
- The food was delicious. HadSJfoodieVIPDined on 1/8/2012The food was delicious. Had the seafood mixed grill and portion was large. bread came fresh and hot. Delicious veggies with the main dishes.
- Lousy!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/4/2012Food was of inferior quality and over-priced. Our salads sat for 10 minutes waiting for our server, and though there were several servers there, and it was not busy, not one brought the salads. Server told us one thing about the food and the kitchen told us another We will not go back.
- We had a long uninterruptedGFgogirlDined on 12/31/2011We had a long uninterrupted lunch with excellent service and food.Special Features:
- Excellent Italian food withOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/24/2011Excellent Italian food with attentive but not intrusive service in a comfortable setting.Special Features:
- We have been going to CafeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/10/2011We have been going to Cafe Mare for about 5 years now and it has been keeping its quality. It is always a nice experience to dine there.Special Features:
- Liked: that they treated aOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/3/2011Liked: that they treated a woman dining alone very well - good table, same friendly service as everyone else. Food well prepared and delicious, old standards done right. Best gnocchi I've ever had - tender and flavorful. Nice room. Disliked: very slow service, no real excuse for this on a weeknight with many employees dashing about. Ran out of the dish I wanted rather early. Way too expensive for what it is: main dish, pasta, salad, dessert and one glass of wine came to close to $80! Rather limited menu. I liked Cafe Mare but I may have to stick to Lillian's, and for special occasions and similar pricing I much prefer La Posta.
- We are new to the area andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/6/2011We are new to the area and Cafe Mare was recommended by a friend. We had a very nice relaxing dinner.Special Features:
- Another great meal at CafebcneusDined on 10/22/2011Another great meal at Cafe Mare. The food is consistently good to great and the staff is warm and kind. The swordfish special was excellent.Special Features:
- Excellent Dinner and good valueOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/22/2011Very good value and very good choice on the menu. Very attentive service.Special Features:
- Great as always. The mushroomOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/16/2011Great as always. The mushroom and ricotta stuffed tortoloni were great. We will look for that as a special again.
- Adding Cafe Mare to my FavoritesOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/27/2011It was my second time dining at Care Mare, and I thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of the experience as I did the first time (in Nov 2010). The menu offers a wonderful variety (we usually have a vegetarian in our party), as does the wine list (gotta love a restaurant with my favorite Amerone). Adding to the excellent experience was our waiter, Paolo, who was the perfect mix of engaging talk, information about the dishes prepared, and pure charm. I was also pleasantly surprised at the noise level; the restaurant was full on a Saturday night with about three large groups dining around us, and no one in our party of three had to raise our voices to be heard or was disturbed by laughter or conversation straying from other tables.Special Features:
- Disappointed given reviewsGlobalTravelerDined on 8/15/2011Went to this restaurant based on posted reviews and was disappointed. Waiter literally tried to put my salad on top of my plate with antipasta course, which had just arrived two minutes before the salad course. Antipasta of grilled vegetables was miserly for the price, and not particularly good. Main courses were fine, but more on par with a Macaroni Grill than fine Italian food. Place was over hyped and under delivered. Lots of other choices in Santa Cruz.Special Features:
- We always love going to CafeOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/5/2011We always love going to Cafe Mare. The food is very good especially the specials such as quail or oso buco or rabbit. Any of the fish dishes are also very good. The service is great, just like the service you get in Italy.Special Features: