Cafe Marbella Tapas
5527 N Milwaukee Ave
Chicago, IL 60630Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
Cafe Marbella Tapas
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://cafemarbellatapas.com/
- Phone: 7738530128x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday Brunch: 12:00pm - 4:00pm - 9:00pm Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Virgilio Trujillo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Catering menu is based in our regular menu but is not limited to it. By contacting us we can set up a convenient menu.
- Private Party Facilities: For parties of twenty to fifty we offer family style menu.
- Private Party Contact: Maria Roman 7738658391x
A word from Cafe Marbella Tapas
Cafe Marbella specializes in Basque and Catalonia"s Cuisine.Relocated from its former Peterson Avenue location, Cafe Marbella Settles in Gladstone Park (5527 N. Milwaukee Avenue) . The restaurant's Chef Virgilio Trujillo has cooked In some of the city's favorite spanish -style kitchens, including La Paella and Arco De Cuchilleros. Chef Trujillo has a wide selection of classic dishes like Gazpacho Andaluz, Gambas al Ajillo, Piquillos con Queso de Cabra and Tortilla Espanola. (BYOB restaurant)Continued
"Like" us on Facebook
"Like" us on Facebook
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Cafe Marbella Tapas - Best Restaurants in Jefferson Park ›
Cafe Marbella Tapas reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (33)good for groups (22)fit for foodies (19)special occasion (6)romantic (6)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (3)hot spot (3)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Great food and BYOBJohnDVIPDined on 10/11/2014Café Marbella is a great neighborhood place that is also worth driving to from a distance. The food was tremendous, with the paella being a standout. The BYOB nature makes it possible to have a great meal for not a lot of money. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Great food, so so serviceWinenotDined on 10/11/2014First time at this restaurant and thought the tapas were all terrific, particularly enjoyed the garlic potato salad. As a BYOB its very reasonable. While the waiter would disappear for long stretches, he was always friendly when he did return. Definitely worth trying out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic PlaceKDashDined on 9/19/2014This is my second time having dinner here. I love the food, the calamari and the mixed green with chicken is so delicious. All the food is mouth watering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice selection of tapasMattDined on 9/11/2014Had the Plata de embutidos (chorizo, ham, and salchichon), conchinillo asado, and queso de cabra al horn which were very good and cooked very well. The espada ala parrilla was cooked ahi tuna style and some areas were slightly charred from grilling so not exactly my favorite. It's bring your own alcohol so that helps with the bill. Ate alone so couldn't try more plates which sounded interesting.Special Features:
- best tapas in townWindyCityLoVIPDined on 9/6/2014byob to this wonderful, roomy space - with just a few or a crowd. the menu's nearly endless, then there are the specials. then there are the unwritten specials. go for a first time and you'll visit often ... LOVE this place. oh, it is byob - and the prices are shockingly reasonable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AN INTERNET FINDLMROADREVWDined on 9/5/2014Was driving in from Indiana going to Garth Brooks concert. Found this on the Internet and gave it a go. Was very pleased with the total experience. Small family operation. Emphasizes BYOB. Definitely cuts the bill down. We had the Pallas and they were well portioned with chicken, seafood, and chorizo. definitely worth the stop. Ask for Rudy (waiter)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Growing Pains?meandfoodDined on 8/29/2014The tapas were very good, as usual. However, we also ordered a steak entree which was tough and a fish /seafood entree that seemed a bit overcooked. Our order was a little confused, and we never got one dish. I think that as this restaurant grows more popular and busy they need to write down orders as they take them. I wouldn't exactly say they are having growing pains, but they do need maybe a bigger waitstaff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for long eveningNWSidefoodies81Dined on 8/8/2014Great tapas menu-cream of clam soup, goat cheese, avocado/bacon balsamic dressing over greens; mussels in a bread bowl, grilled octopus/potatoes, figs in brandy cream, Spanish meatballs, Valencia paella, mango tart, flan, Creme brûlée for dessert w/coffee between 4 people. Super delicious, served in a non rushed way. Place is BYOB, so a savings to the diner. FREE street parking available.wish there was a bit more atmosphere, very austere decor--but the food is worth it.Special Features:
- SartVIPDined on 8/5/2014I love Cafe Marbella! My wife and I have eaten there probably a dozen times and have always had a great meal. The extensive menu covers the tapas basics but the real treat is the list of nightly specials. For example, on a recent visit we had stuffed clam over portobello mushroom. Food is invariably perfectly cooked, creative when needed, nicely presented, and generously portioned. Servers are friendly and knowledgeable. The ambience is very nice (I particularly like the softly-played flamenco recordings). Prices are reasonable and the BYO policy makes them even more so. There's even easily accessible free street parking. What's not to love?Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/19/2014Food and service was fantastic! Wish I knew it was BYOB ahead of time though.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Tapas yetmaygraitDined on 7/18/2014Excellent food, nice staff, great neighborhood find. Very reasonably priced.Special Features:
- good BYOBLAZOODined on 7/17/2014Never had a bad meal after 5 visit We love specially the seafood dishesSpecial Features:
- Great Food!JuneBugVIPDined on 7/11/2014The place is a gem! Great food, great service! Perfect ambience!Special Features:
- Delicious TapasKatekDined on 7/11/2014Cafe Marbella has become one of our favorite restaurants. The food is absolutely delicious, we have never had anything we didn't like. Some of our absolute favorites are the mushrooms, grilled octopus, ceviche, baked goat cheese with tomato and meatballs. If gazpacho is available don't pass it up, it is fantastic. Not on the menu but always available is a petite fillet with a brandy cream sauce and roasted potato wedges. My husband always waits until everyone is full then orders it and it blows everyone away. Their desserts are also amazing, we always ask them to put a banana tart on the side because they run out early. We have brought lots of friends and everyone loves Cafe Marabella.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood BYOBMarMarHTVIPDined on 6/27/2014Nice tapa selection. Helpfful suggestions on menu from staff. Bring a good bottle of wine and enjoySpecial Features:
- The following 85 reviews are from the Cafe Marbella Tapas reviews archive.
- Loved it - will be back!dillydallyDined on 6/18/2014Its hard to find a good tapas place and BYOB, too? Wonderful. The owners were incredible accomodating to our request for a nice, quiet corner table, even emailing me back and forth about the best table. Wow! Maria you rock! Only tiny suggestion is that it could be a tad darker in the lighting department - would make it more romantic. We live in Lakeview but will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Great BYOB tapasALBADined on 6/14/2014I love Cafe Marbella. The tapas are delicious, with plenty of seafood, meat, and non-meat options. It is a great value, all the more so for being BYOB.Special Features:
- Great Spanish foodilliniryDined on 6/7/2014Enjoyed the food here, it's also BYOB. Waiter was friendly and knowledgable. It was not crowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent TapasFoodieGolferVIPDined on 5/15/2014Before you turn away as you look at the entrance...be determined to open the two squeaky doors and enjoy some of the best tapas in the city. We forgot that it was BYOB, but a nearby liquor store helped satisfy our need for a nice bottle of wine. The Portobello mushrooms are excellent. The goat cheese is perfect. Even the flatbread is something to write home about. Don't miss this place.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Tapas!BYOBreviewerDined on 5/13/2014My girlfriends and I go to a different BYOB restaurant once a month and have found many wonderful places, but Cafe Marbella is at the top of my list! We LOVED 17 of 20 of the dishes we ordered (stuffed avocado, patatas with chorizo, heirloom tomato salad, bacon wrapped dates) and REALLY LIKED 2 other dishes. The presentation of the food was beautiful and, for tapas, the portions were generous. The restaurant is very quaint and feels much more expensive than our bill reflected. I will be going back!Special Features:
- Dinner Mothers DayyomamaDined on 5/11/2014Yet another wonderful dining experience here. Fabulous tapas warm friendly flexible service. This byo tapas restaurant is great for dinner for 2 4 or 6. They also cheerfully accomodate larger parties for showers holiday meals etc. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Food and Servicedining50sDined on 5/11/2014We started out with a few tapas dishes, sauteed spinach, sauteed portabello mushrooms, baked goat cheese, and red peppers stuffed with goat cheese. All were great, very tasty and delicious. Ordered the chicken breast with machego cheese and spinach and the rib eye steaks, they were outstanding in taste and portion size. Much bigger than I would have expected for the price. The last dish was fried thin noodles with grilled shrimp, another fantastic tasty choice. The desserts were very light and great as well, we had the blackberry tart, raspberry tart, and a sponge cake with ladyfingers. Highly recommend this place, would definitely come back here again and again.Special Features:
- Great food good price BYO alcoholWJSKDined on 4/26/2014Been going here 6+ years nice friendly service small tapas plates average around $7 each can sit for a couple hours & eat 4-5 plates with 2 people they never make you feel rushed desserts look amazing byo beer wine etc really makes your check a lower price! Large & good food selection & there is always a specials menu. Also I don't think there is any cork fee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and valueHealthyeaterDined on 4/11/2014We love tapas, and Cafe Marbella has all our favorites. They were well prepared, served hot when they were supposed to be hot, and very tasty. We were happy that it's BYOB, as bringing our own wine with no corkage fee made it very affordable for us. Service was friendly and efficient. We were very pleased with our visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Good Local OptionOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/5/2014My wife and I selected three tapas: The Steak Special, Sautéed Calamari and Mussels in a white garlic sauce. The steak was full flavored. I would have preferred it to be a little rarer, but that did not destroy the dish. The calamari was sautéed in a red piquant sauce that had the right amount of heat for our palates. The hit of the night was the mussels in a white sauce that exploded with garlic. Since I did not have a spoon, the mussel half shell took its place along with crusty bread to sop up all the sauce. We brought our own wine, a Stones Throw Cabernet Sauvigon that completed all three courses. Surprising, there was no corkage fee on my bill. This is a local gem that we will return to often. The service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!JuneBugVIPDined on 4/5/2014This is a great place for Tapas. Great food, atmosphere, friendly staff. I've been here many times and never had a bad experience!Special Features:
- Terrific Tapas - worth the TrekWindyCityLoVIPDined on 3/16/2014Simple double-wide store front masks the great insides of Cafe Marbella - enjoy the food - ANY of it - the regular menu is great. the handwritten specials menu is also amazing, but the SPECIAL SPECIALS that you'll hear will have your mouth and head exploding! try some of ALL of it, because it's small plates for sharing - saving the figs for the final plate - and leave room for dessert. best of all - in addition to the terrific and family-centric chef and staff - it's BYOB! always a terrific time. RARELY over $35 per person (including tax and gratuity); often less! Absolutely my favorite place in Chicago!Special Features:
- Very good tapas in a nice setting!vxtrDined on 3/13/2014Second time I've visited. Food is very good. I am very surprised Cafe Marbella isn't busier. Staff is very kind - we stayed a really long time. I'm happy to have a tapas restaurant in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tapas in the neighborhood!MishDined on 3/8/2014Nice local place to have tapas with friends without going downtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun, Cozy and Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/22/2014My husband and I had a great experience at Cafe Marbella. We never had to wait for anything. There were a lot of fun small tapas choices which allowed us to try several different items and still have a little room for dessert (which was also great). The BYOB is fun and saves money. Tables are a little close together so for some that might be a little to intimate, but we were fine. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- When we got there we wereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/22/2014When we got there we were seated at a table by the door. There were other available tables so we asked if we could have a different table. We were told that since we reserved our table on line the computer gives us a table and it can not be changed.
- great menu with extensive specialsrayneboughDined on 2/15/2014We have been here twice now and really enjoy it. The menu is fairly priced and everything we have had is good to excellent. They have a specials menu and also "special" specials that the server tells you about. It is worth trying a special (or special special) as they have yet to disappoint. It is BYOB too so that can leave you more money for more tapas :) The service is excellent. Very knowledgeable and attentive.Special Features:
- Good Food & Great Neighborhood GemOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/15/2014The good: The food was very good - the grilled squid in particular. The restaurant is BYOB with no corkage fee. The servers were both friendly and knowledgeable. The not so good: The kitchen and wait staff got overwhelmed when the restaurant filled up. We never received one of our plates and we weren't alone - two tables next to us had the thing happen to them. The special: Do not be afraid to order the "not on the menu" specials that the wait staff will tell you about. Dining at the restaurant had a very communal feel. Tables were comparing and making food recommendations, making small talk, and generally just having a really good time. There aren't too many place like this in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I can't get enough!lovestoeatDined on 2/15/2014I am so glad I found Cafe Marbella! It is a great BYOB restaurant (no corkage fee!) that we keep coming back to time and time again. A great location for intimate dinners or larger gatherings. You can't go wrong with anything on the specials menu and they keep us coming back for more! I love referring people here and listening to them rave once they have visited. Truly a neighborhood gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre food, inattentive serviceDovakhinDined on 2/14/2014It took 15 minutes for a waiter to come to our table and did not improve from there. Looking around, it seemed many diners were in the same boat. Service remained slow all night due to what appeared to be a short-handed staff in a dining room with a few empty tables. The food is very hit or miss. For the money, this is not a bad place for tapas but go elsewhere if you want real creativity and subtlety in the flavors. The dishes were too often myopic, relying on sugar or garlic that overpowered anything else and the meat dish we had was over-cooked. Actually, the only dish we did enjoy was uncooked; a plate of bread, chile sauce, machego cheese and apple. Tapas lovers will likely be disappointed.
- It was so-so. Service wasepicureDined on 2/14/2014It was so-so. Service was slow and hostess was too flustered despite the fact that there were several empty tables. Food was ok, not bad, but not mouthwatering either. The only thing that stood out was the pork solomillo or medallions in red wine sauce. I've had better tapas and don't think I will come back.
- Nice placeBobboDined on 2/14/2014Food was great, service was as well. BYOB really helps reduce costs at dinner time.Special Features:
- nice spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/12/2014Went here with my girlfriends... Great BYOB. Enjoyed the grilled calamari special. Homemade desserts outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Does not dissappoint...JennyDined on 1/28/2014Amazing tapas! Service was excellent and location ideal (street parking in abundance). It's also a BYOB!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No iPhone and Lost ReservationNoReservationDined on 1/25/2014Our experience at the restuarant overall was good and the food was yummy. However, I made a reservation on Open Table, when I arrived, the hostess could not find our reservation. She even went in the back to consult her 'computer.' She clearly did not believe that I made a reservation and reluctantly offered to sit us by the door, on a very cold winter's night. Luckily another person in my party arrived and saved the day with her iPhone, pulling up the reservation confirmation. If a resturant is going to be savvy enough to use open table, they need to honor the reservations.Special Features: