1500 Sutter Street
San Francisco, CA 94109Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thehotelmajestic.com/restaurent.php
- Phone: (415) 441-1280
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm;Breakfast:7:00am-10:30pm Brunch: Sunday: 7:00am - 12:30pm Butterfly Lounge Hours: Tuesday-Saturday 5:00pm-10:00pm Closed Monday.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Efrain Garcia
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Cafe Majestic
Located in the lovely Hotel Majestic in the charming neighborhood of Pacific Heights. Featuring the Butterfly Lounge.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cafe Majestic reviews from OpenTable diners
5 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelQuiet
romantic (4)neighborhood gem (3)special occasion (3)good for groups (1)kid-friendly (1)vibrant bar scene (1)fit for foodies (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great findronBDined on 10/3/2014Don't miss this one. The setting is "classic" and the menu has quite a variety to select from- RBSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simple eleganceLuvDiningOutVIPDined on 8/29/2014Lovely hotel restaurant with all the elegant appointments, yet very comfortable and casual. Excellent California cuisine menu and attentive, knowledgeable service. A great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 4/5 not bad unless your #5OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014Of our party of 5, we had the Calimari Steak, Chicken Scallopini, Eggplant Parmesan, Beef Wellington and the Veal Scallopini. the only real let down was the Wellington. This entree, which seemed to be an attempt to present a deconstructed version of the classic meal was nothing more that a small fillet and a crispy tweel of philo dough. I would have expected a little more effort for $32. My only other comment was that the vegetables were a little over-cooked and should have had a little crunch left. Environment was plesant, the cocktails were very good and I did enjoy the wine list. In the end, the price was alittle high, but if the Wellington was more aligned to the traditional version, I probably wouldn't be complaining about it.
- The following 52 reviews are from the Cafe Majestic reviews archive.
- Best Breakfast EverMemlouiseVIPDined on 5/27/2014I took my teen son out to breakfast and was delighted with the menu and service at this lovely hotel cafe. He's already asking me when we can eat breakfast there again. I highly recommend the Smoked Salmon Eggs Benedict. Delicious!Special Features:
- BizarreericjVIPDined on 4/5/2014We were meeting friends and we found that this restaurant was very close to our meeting spot. We made early reservations and even though it was Saturday night we were the only diners. Our immediate impression of the waiter was that he seemed a bit disconnected but we simply assumed he was eccentric. We gave him our orders and asked for bread. He wandered around the restaurant for a while. We asked for bread again. He wandered some more and we asked for bread again and he said he'd bring it right away. He then became engrossed with something at the wait station for a while and then wandered over to us again and asked what we would like to order. All this with no one else in the restaurant. We left shortly thereafter.
- Lucky findOldenGoldieDined on 4/3/2014We were looking for a close-by, reasonably-priced restaurant to have dinner before attending a play at the Custom Made Theater on Gough. This fit the bill perfectly. We were skeptical when we got there and the dining room was pretty empty, although the bar was hopping. The food was very good, though. We heard the chef had come from Original Joe's. The restaurant is located in a quaint boutique hotel. The dining room was nicely decorated, and very comfortable. It reminded me of old-time San Francisco with upholstered seating, white tablecloths, soft lighting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Breakfast vs. BrunchFoodisTheatreVIPDined on 2/16/2014Breakfast on weekdays: Awful. The hash browns are pre-formed like at McDonald's, the sour dough toast is some generic white bread from Costco (this is San Francisco! Where's the great sour dough?), the juice was from concentrate, and the bacon was microwaved. Brunch on Sunday: Far better. Still no SF sour dough, but the potatoes were nicely roasted, the crab cake benedict was very nicely done (the crab cake actually replaces the English muffin), and overall it was a far more pleasant experience. Don't think we'd choose to eat there again because SF is SF -- lots of great places to eat. Kudos to the wait staff, all of whom are very gracious. Beautiful restaurant; just not beautiful food.
- Speed dinnerFoodieDined on 2/14/2014We went on valentines day. While the ambience and service was great it was clearly speed dinner though it was clear that it was not fully booked for that dinner. Salad was served very quickly even before bread. The meal was immediately served after salad and dessert immediately. Dinner was quite tasty as was the glass of wine but clearly not a 60/each meal. Maybe this is why I could get a 3 day before reservation. All other short term openings were speciality restaurants like Mexican, Thai, etc. Because of overpriced speed meal it only gets a 3 star overallSpecial Features:
- Good food, a bit smokeyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/30/2014This restaurant had good food, but I was surprised to smell cigarette smoke while in the dining area.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe Majestic -- notnicknameDined on 1/11/2014The first bad sign was only three other tables in this beautiful dining room had people seated. The waiter was attentive in the beginning taking our order, serving the bread, but after the entrees arrived, he literally disappeared. He was pleasant enough, but apparently with so little business to attend to, he simply forgot about us. The sole and veggies were so drenched in oil it was hard to taste anything else. My friends veggies were overcooked and over oiled. The lobby, bar area, and dining room are lovely to look at--really very lovely, but maybe stop in for a drink only; I wouldn't eat here again. Too many good restaurants in the city.
- Memorable experienceLuv2eatDined on 12/31/2013We had dinner at the café Majestic not only for New Year's Eve but a first date. We both found the menu had lots to choose from and was very diverse. We chose something off of the chefs selections and were very satisfied with it. We also found the wine list to be very good and reasonably priced. Our experience I Cafe Majestic was perfect.Special Features:
- Try, Try Again?TrulyDeliciousVIPDined on 12/24/2013Our reservations were for 7:00pm Christmas Eve. We showed up at 6:45 and waited until 7:15 when we insisted they let us sit at an empty table ( of many!) We waited until 7:30, but no one came to even take a drink order. So I ran down a server and asked him if he thought they could serve us in the next hour because we had a church service to go to. He was polite and honest and said no. With apologies! So we left.
- Mom's best friendTrishtheDishVIPDined on 11/28/2013When dining with little ones, you rely on the restaurant staff as your "back up". We had friendly greetings at the front of the hotel. Our waiter David K. went above and beyond to make sure that our glasses were always full and our children received everything they needed. We were there for Thanksgiving dinner and the dining room staff were all kind and amusing to our toddlers. I look forward to returning to the Cafe when it's not a holiday to check out the shops in nearby Japantown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back in Time EleganceCoachTerryDined on 11/9/2013If you want to get away from the packed trendy restaurants with long waiting times and high priced average food then give Cafe Majestic a try on a Saturday night. After getting stuck in crazy traffic and having to change our reservation they were still able to accommodate our party of four. It was a pleasure to walk into such a clean elegant relaxing dining room with very comfortable chairs an old world art deco atmosphere. The menu had unique variety with an international contributions. The food was very good, artfully presented and we all enjoyed it. Try it out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We very much enjoyed our meal,RobinDined on 8/24/2013We very much enjoyed our meal, and because it's quiet, we were also able to enjoy a dinner conversation as well. I was surprised there weren't more people there, because I really liked this restaurant and so did my dinner companions.I would recommend this to a friend.
- We enjoyed our dinner. FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/7/2013We enjoyed our dinner. Food was great and ambiance was exceptionally nice. Service was good--we didn't feel rushed. We were the only folks eating at the time, which was a bit of a surprise/concern. When I told the waiter that we had an Open Table reservation, he didn't seem interested, and responded, "Oh yea."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So Much Better??OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/12/2013I took my wife to Cafe Majestic for a Mother's Day brunch. The food was fine, the service was fine, there was no noise, and the atmosphere was even sort of romantic. The pricing was in the ball park also. But someone with imagination could turn this place into the go-to place if only some effort were made. Why not someone with a red rose on Mother's Day for each of the moms? Why not more attention to your guests? Make us feel special maybe?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Rack of Lamb I ever had!!!ronBDined on 5/8/2013Best Rack of Lamb I ever had!!! And the deserts were exceptional too. ( I had the Mud Pie.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pluses was David the waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/23/2013Pluses was David the waiter and the bartender gave my friend the birthday girl a complimentary cocktail, and the lovely victorian dinning room. The minuses was the boring steamed vegetables served as a side dish and the creme in the tiramisu dessert didnt taste fresh.Special Features:
- Why do they even bother toOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/2/2013Why do they even bother to have this once fantastic place open? Food was poor at best and overly salty. Service was outright weird and we were the only customers in the place on a Saturday night. How about this to finish off what was an extremely forgettable meal....When asking for the desert menu the response was simply we don't have dessert. WTF. Something is seriously wrong with such an elegant room.
- Four of us had a very satisfyingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/21/2013Four of us had a very satisfying and pleasant dining experience. We appreciated the quiet dining room, elegant furnishings, delicious dinner, and friendly, efficient service. Parking was easy and convenient.Special Features:
- I wanted to like Cafe Majestic!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/16/2013I wanted to like Cafe Majestic so much I tried it TWICE, both times for dinner. We were the only couple in the restaurant and we felt uncomfortable. It was weird. The quaint bar was FULL of people but there were no other diners. I agree with the other reviewer who noted that with a little effort, this could be a great place. The food was fine, the place has obviously been well restored but meh, I won't go again. Maybe brunch is a different story? I live in the neighborhood and I wanted it to be great but it just isn't.
- I went with a friend for ThanksgiviBertVIPDined on 11/22/2012I went with a friend for Thanksgiving dinner. I had been to the restaurant in the past but this is the first time I have been since it re-opened its dinning room to the public. The dinning room, bar and the hotel provide a great atmostphere for dinning, especially on a holiday like Thanksgiving. On Thanksgiving, they served a prix fixe traditional turkey dinner with no options which was very good. I can't comment on the restaurant's current regular regular menu which had some unsual choices. Overall, a very good experience.Special Features:
- Very quiet, odd menu withOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 10/26/2012Very quiet, odd menu with the daily specials being a selection of different ethnic foods which is a bit off-putting but the regular menu had adequate choices which were well-prpared with portions not too large. Almost empty, which is a shame given the classy, elegant and quiet surroundings. Bar could be fun but on this weeknight,very sparsely attended.Special Features:
- love this place, i keep comingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/22/2012love this place, i keep coming back to it .... servers are great & food excellent :)Special Features:
- love the food and the wholeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/3/2012love the food and the whole ambiance of the place ... lovely people behind the bar like Mike & Dallas ... their Manager AJ is equally nice.Special Features:
- Romanic and quietOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/7/2012The setting is beautiful and very quiet for an early-ish dinner, the service very very good and the food comes in third. The drinks, however, were well executed and if there was a drinks rating I would give them six stars, according to Open Table's ratings system. Overall, a very nice experience and we will go again, especially because it's in our neighborhood. In fact, I enjoyed myself so much I looked into the hotel itself for booking a romantic weekend "away" (down the block but a change of scene can be nice).Special Features:
- We were disappointed in theyumyumyumDined on 5/13/2012We were disappointed in the food. It was very, very basic. The server was nice but she almost seemed embarrassed, because they were out of everything and the food she gave us was so basic. The neighborhood is a quiet slightly rundown part of Japantown. The restaurant is part of the hotel, and one could characterize its overall feel as shabby elegance. So it had a kind of cool old timer feel to it. If the food had been outstanding it would have been an interesting experience. Alas, the food was just not interesting or modern. I could have gotten the same thing at a diner for $7. Which made the whole experience somewhat depressing. I hope they are better for dinner.
- We had Easter Brunch hereSF2NYEATERVIPDined on 4/8/2012We had Easter Brunch here and it was pretty quiet, which we loved. Food was delicious, and plentiful. We will go back.Special Features:
- The cafe majestic is clearlyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/27/2012The cafe majestic is clearly one of the best kept secrets in town. None of my friends were there before this occasion. The food was excellent , yet quite traditional. No experimental stuff. Service very attentive and professional. The place is quite and one can easily carry on a conversation without raising voice. Decor is also pleasant and the only issue could be parking. I recommend the ballet service, at the door for extra 8$. The price for 5 persons with two bottles of good wine was approx $50/person which is very reasonable for San Francisco We will definitely come backSpecial Features:
- The hotel seems more rundownOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/14/2012The hotel seems more rundown than before; the restaurant in contrast has been cleaned up. The service was cordial but naive, the food was expensive and limited in choice (Valentine pris fixe). We plan to return to see what the wider choices might be and what they might cost. We did not notice (were we told?) that their Valentine offering was pris fixe when making the reservation. It may have been good value in that it included a glass of wine, but one of us doesn't drink. The dessert was huge and too rich without further choices. We were there because it is in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Have a varied menu with dishesOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/9/2012Have a varied menu with dishes highlighting other countries. Service was excellent and staff was friendly.Special Features:
- Don't go for brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 10/22/2011ok,I'll keep it short because it was so bad as to not deserving of the effort. We went for Sunday brunch, should've walked out but figured we'd give it a try...worst Monte Cristo...or at least that's what they called the cold ham sandwich they gave me.
- We chose Uptown Joe's/CaféStarshineDined on 5/21/2011We chose Uptown Joe's/Café Majestic because one of our friends is hard of hearing & we wanted a QUIET dining room. Even if it had been completely full, it would have been quiet & calm & perfect. Very enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- Uptown Joe's is located inOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/19/2011Uptown Joe's is located in the oldest hotel in San Francisco! The ambiance, menu, and incredible service sets the stage for a fabulous evening.Special Features:
- I have taken my 97 year-oldOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/24/2011I have taken my 97 year-old mother to Uptown Joes several times. For Easter Sunday we were joined by several of my mother's friends and all enjoyed the brunch very much -- nothing exciting on the menue, but above average breakfast/brunch items, helpful and professional service and very nice setting.Special Features:
- First, the room. It is aFoodieVIPDined on 4/23/2011First, the room. It is a beautiful Victorian interior, without being completely over-the-top. Regarding the ambiance, we ate here at 7:00 on a Saturday night. There were about four other parties or 2 to 6 people. It was not raucous, but you certainly did not feel like you were the only one in the room. The food is Italian with a nod to the old school-style. We had an antipasto plate that came in single and “for two” serving sizes. Two of us split the single and it was plenty of food (as an appetizer) for the two of us. We also had a 12 ounce filet mignon. Twelve ounces is a pretty large cut of steak. And it came with a side of rigatoni, among other options. So, if you are one of those people that complains about portion size, tSpecial Features:
- While the food here was good,Bob68VIPDined on 4/15/2011While the food here was good, it was disconcerting to arrive at 7:30 on a Friday night and fine the large dining room all but empty. One other couple was eating, and left shortly thereafter, leaving our party of 4 totally alone. On the plus side the room is pretty, and the plating of the food very nice. Portions were hearty.
- No, no,no,no, never againJippipeVIPDined on 2/5/2011No, no,no,no, never again and they will be closing soon.
- Went to this because we hadOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/13/2010Went to this because we had 8 people and no reservation. It sounded good, but we didn't realize it is in the bottom of a hotel, which was kinda weird. Waiter was awesome. It ended up working about perfect because we had about 8 people that wanted to drink a lot and then go out to Polk St., but the food wasn't too amazing, and it's a little overpriced for what you get. They have a bunch of nice looking menu items, but nobody was too impressed with the actual food.Special Features: