Cafe Mahjaic - Lotus Inn
1006 Lotus Road
Lotus, CA 95651Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Cafe Mahjaic - Lotus Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafemahjaic.com/
- Phone: 5306229587
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday - Saturday: 5:00 PM - 10:30 PM
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: John Metropulos
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Gina 5306229587
A word from Cafe Mahjaic - Lotus Inn
Dinners at Cafe' Mahjaic are New American, a mixture of all ethnic backgrounds. All foods, sauces and breads made from scratch daily using naturally raise meats and grains. Fresh fish from the ocean. Organic produce when available.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Cafe Mahjaic - Lotus Inn - Best Restaurants in Lotus ›
Cafe Mahjaic - Lotus Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
63 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (48)special occasion (41)romantic (38)neighborhood gem (34)notable wine list (14)good for groups (6)great for brunch (3)scenic view (3)hot spot (2)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- InconsistentBorisDined on 9/14/2014My wife and I dined here twice in the week we were visiting Gold Country. The first time was superb, with the exception of too much noise. The second time -- which was the last day of the week for the restaurant -- was disappointing: the chef had a heavy hand on the garlic and lemon, and the chicken was sparse and over-cooked. The chocolate decadence dessert was fabulous, however, and the restaurant is tops in the area for innovative and decent cuisine.Special Features:
- Not magic - just charming!foothillfoxDined on 9/13/2014This little restaurant is in a historical but rather plain looking brick building along the So. Fork of the American River - though we could not see the River from the restaurant. The dining room had a rustic elegance, with the bare brick walls and impressive structural wooden beams, with just the right amount of lighting to set a pleasant ambiance. The staff was very welcoming and attentive. The menu was filled with interesting choices, and the specials all were enticing, too. The wine list was adequate, and we enjoyed our selection. We both went with the "$30 fixed price" menu, which offered nice choices for all the courses, from appetizer to dessert. The entrees were not huge, but together they were completely satisfying.Special Features:
- Party of 6LaLaDined on 9/12/2014All 6 raved about the meal. Service is always lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe Mahjaic is a gemLindafromGVDined on 9/11/2014In it's lovely rural setting, Cafe Mahjaic serves up sophisticated food. The service is unhurried and personal. I like the fixed prix menu with plenty of options for each of the four courses. As a vegetarian, I find plenty of choices and a willingness to make substitutions with creativity. I had a fine wild mushroom pasta and asked for the berries without the cheesecake underneath and they came beautifully arrayed. The fairly extensive wine list includes many local wines from El Dorado County.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly goodskyredDined on 9/6/2014We visited this cafe to celebrate a birthday. The place is nothing fancy from the outside. The building itself is old and historic, the parking lot is just gravel. But inside it seems cozy and inviting. The menu offered some very interesting choices - dishes we could not and would not try to make at home. Two in our party had the salmon, one had the steak, and I had the schnitzel. All were excellent. We had opted for the fixed price menu, which gave us an appetizer, soup or salad, entrée, and dessert, and we were all well satisfied. There were plenty of craft beer choices (although all were in bottles rather than on draft, as far as I know), so we had the opportunity to try something different. We'll go back on a special occasion I'm sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kauaigirlDined on 9/6/2014We Loved It. Food Was Really Outstanding; Ambiance Is Great. Server Was Helpful And Pleasant. Service Time Was A Bit Slow But European In Nature Making A Relaxing Evening.Only Thing I Would Change Is To Have A Small Sitting Area Outside To Enjoy Some Wine before Being Seated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/6/2014Have been about 5 times to this wonderful restaurant. Always brings first timers with us. Bill & CarolSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2014Friends recommended this place and it did not disappoint. I will return, food and service were very good - a nice destination from SacramentoSpecial Features:
- Favorite RestaurantRosannaDined on 8/31/2014Cafe Mahjaic continues to be our absolute favorite restaurant. Located in rural Lotus, it always has the most delicious and beautifully presented foods which are often times organic and/or locally grown. And the service has always been perfect. Dining at Cafe Mahjaic is always a lovely and relaxing experience. THANK YOU, Cafe Mahjaic!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely EveningnicenightoutDined on 8/29/2014Especially appreciative that the gentleman who answered the phone at 3:00 was able to increase our reservation from 2 to 5 as we were celebrating my husband's birthday and friends called earlier in the day to ask if they could join us. Dinner was delightful (our friends had the prix fixed menu and really enjoyed the smaller portions) and we had a wonderful server who paced the evening perfectly. Finally able to experience a place I have driven by so many times in the last 7 months.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding cuisine and servicelieutenantDined on 8/29/2014The menu selection and fixed dinner are wonderful. The mix of seafood plates with chicken, pork and beef entree's satisfies all pallets. My wife and I had the filet with a prawn and both were cooked to perfection with a tasty sauce. The waitress was attentive, cheerful, and her descriptions of the various entree's were spot on. Overall, it was a wonderful evening shared with our neighbors and friends. Outstanding and worthy of many return visits. Although we brought wine, your wine list is impressive and reasonableSpecial Features:
- in a hurry to closeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014They made us feel rushed to leave at 8:40pm... got there at 7:30pm with rez on a Wed. no coffee available with desert. I don't recommend going here on a weeknight. Stick to weekends when there is full staff and they are not in a rush to close and can't give you basics like coffee.
- A find, a keeper!Sunshine95762Dined on 8/22/2014We took a dear friend for a special occasion. The four of us were delighted with every course and selection of their prix fixe menu. We will return, soon!.Special Features:
- Incredible findWinterDined on 8/21/2014This was our second time at Cafe Mahjaic and we are looking for ways to get back as soon as we can! As a matter of fact I'm all ready planning a birthday dinner there for family. You don't find such great service, incredibly delicious food and great pricing at restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always fabulous !!!!kellieJDined on 8/17/2014This was my 3rd. time at Café Mahjaic. My boyfriend took me there back in May of 2013 for one of our first dinner dates. I immediately fell in love with the place. I am a "foodie". I love to cook and I can appreciate a good meal. This place is amazing !! The food is ALWAYS fabulous. The service is good. It's small and intimate (16 tables of 4). White linen tablecloths and nice dishes. We always order from the "fixed menu". The cost is $30 per person and it is a full 4 course dinner. Be sure to give yourself @ 2 hours for the whole "experience". It is well worth your time and money. The chef is a genius and his dishes are beyond fantastic. You owe it to yourself to try this place. You will NOT be disappointed. EXCELLENT food !!Special Features:
- QuaintabsolamentDined on 8/15/2014A hidden gem. Definitely a worthwhile place to have dinner when you are in the area and looking for a bit of casual fine dining.Special Features:
- Just what the area needs.OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/8/2014Good food, nice setting. Service needs just a little work but overall good.Special Features:
- Love ItparkerfuDined on 8/8/2014Several years ago, we came to Cafe Mahjaic as a site of a reception after the funeral of a dear-loved friend of the family. It took us several years to find the place again. My partner and I went to celebrate our anniversary. It was just as wonderful as we remembered. The food was terrific, the service, top-notch, and the whole experience was really great. We frequently dine at the Culinary Institute of America's restaurant, Greystone. Cafe Mahjaic's food was just as delicious, if not better, and for a much more wallet-friendly price. We will continue to return to Cafe Mahjaic. It's top-notch.Special Features:
- Dinner was magnificent.PatsbestyetDined on 8/7/2014I've dined at Cafe Mahjaic numerous times; it is a gem and my favorite! I had out-of-town guests and wanted to introduce them to Cafe Mahjaic. I requested a window-side table via Open Table. Although one was available we were told that table was for another party. However no one arrived for that table for forty-five minutes into our meal. Additionally, this evening a couple with a baby who appeared to be a year of age were dining. The baby was "loudly" screeching continuously throughout the evening. The ambiance was ruined for the three of us. I cannot speak for other diners of course. Because your ambiance is usually perfect, tonight was disappointing. Our dinner however was magnificent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simple - the place to eatcoolman95614Dined on 8/6/2014The place to eat in the Divide area. Wonderful El Dorado and Amador counties wine selection. We are so fortunate that it is so close to us. Be sure to make reservations as it is quite popular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food; relaxed vibeAdventureFoodieDined on 8/1/2014This is a place you could go for a special celebration or just to relax over a great meal after a day of river rafting or hiking. We love this cafe for excellently prepared food and great service, presented in a rustic but classy atmosphere. Despite the top-quality, imaginative food, it's not a "fancy" restaurant, and the people at the next table are as likely to be wearing flip-flops and shorts as they are to be wearing dressier clothes. I love the four-course fixed-price menu, because the portions are small...which means I can enjoy everything from appetizer to dessert without getting too full. Yet others with bigger appetites also loved it (with more bread and wine). Corn chowder was fab. Salmon, perfect. Berries, sweet and juicy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very slowOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/27/2014I don't think I have ever had to wait so long to get my food to the table. Worst waitress ever. No apologies for delay. Almost like that was to be expected. I have been there before and it has taken a while to get our dinner but never an hour and a half. Bread was given to us without ever asking us what we wanted to drink. Water was given to us after I asked for it. I know we have a drought but really?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful timeslyfox5355Dined on 7/26/2014What a wonderful experience we had there once again. We chose the price fixed four course meal with an additional side of heirloom tomatoes with some kind of smooth cheese on it.... they were to die for. The wait staff were great as well and experienced and I really enjoyed talking to them. Even though they were packed the food came out in very short time and we really enjoyed the whole experience. Since we have been many times you might think that the service might change or the food would be a little different over time, but it was the same and consistent as I had remembered from the last time. Looking forward to my next visit there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RusticOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/25/2014We really enjoyed this restaurant, it's small so reservations are a must. Great views of wildlife out the big front windows. The food was very good, you also have the choice of ordering from a fixed fare menu, the portions are perfect. I made the mistake of not asking about the fish special since it was only on the fixed fare menu, it can be ordered even though it's not on the regular menu, ah a little confusing and something they might want to correct. I would have ordered the fish special if I knew I could have. I just ordered an entree and my husband ordered the fixed fare meal.Special Features:
- Order the Grilled Prawns!grayDined on 7/23/2014I had the prawns, salad. and the lamb chop. The grilled prawn appetizer was beyond delicious. All of the presentations were excellent. I am not a fan of sweet sauce on lamb, but I am a fan of chocolate decadance with the last sips of Barbera for dessert! Try this place ... and stay at the Inn.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small gem in Lotus2dine4Dined on 7/23/2014We had an enjoyable dinner at Cafe Mahjaic. The food presentation was appealing, the flavors delicious. The service was friendly and helpful. Overall our dining experience was memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmbienceLocalfoodieDined on 6/29/2014Something about the internal decor just misses the spot. It's intentionally minimalist but somehow that translates as 'harsh'. Some softening interior design aspects would lessen the industrial feel and promote conversation at the table. As it is, every word can be heard by everyone in the e room.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/26/2014This restaurant was recommended to us by the B&B we were staying at. We had a wonderful meal off the fixed price menu. Perfect for us. I recommend that you make a reservation as the restaurant is quite small.Special Features:
- Mixed ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/21/2014We chose the pre-fix menu for $30. Overall, the food was very good, but the portions are smaller. If you are a big eater, this menu would not be for you. The appetizers and salads were excellent. My husband had the skirt steak and loved it. I had the halibut which was okay, but not great. My husband enjoyed his dessert (chocolate cake), but my creme brule was so so. We did enjoy the atmosphere and the service was very good.Special Features:
- delicious food!theotokyDined on 6/18/2014Had the halibut and the lamb. Each bite was full of amazing favors. You can tell the chef take pride in every dish he serves and only uses the best ingredients to create them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TOP-NOTCHfoodisfunDined on 6/15/2014Love, LOve, LOVE their food!! Cafe Mahjaic has become our new favorite restaurant. We are so pleased we found this little gem in the foothills.Special Features:
- WonderfulSallyDined on 6/11/2014This was an excellent dining experience. It is in a kind of remote spot outside placerville, and the drive there is a scenic one with views of the American river, charming old fashioned farms and an occasional deer. It was well worth the 25 minute drive from Placerville. We both had the Grandmere chicken, it was moist and tender and the sauce was tasty. The salad was not disappointing either-baby greens with an excellent dressing. The server was efficient and friendly. In fact, she knows the menu so well and talked the place up so much, we assumed she was an owner until she told us otherwise. Overall, a wonderful dining experience-we will return!Special Features:
- Excellent - as always!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/8/2014I have never been disappointed in any meal eaten at this restaurant. The food is beautifully prepared and tastes as good as it looks. Service is impeccable. I highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for a special, romantic destination and meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love it!kariDined on 5/25/2014This is my favorite place to eat. I love the food. The service is very professional and the atmosphere is quaint. Must get reservations - hard to get a table without one.Special Features:
- The following 233 reviews are from the Cafe Mahjaic - Lotus Inn reviews archive.
- Great celebration evening near homefoodyummerDined on 5/23/2014Our first visit to this establishment for our anniversary...charming dining area, wonderful food, great service and lovely place to dine with friends! My salmon was excellent, although my husband's halibut was a bit overcooked. Pasta looked wonderful and we had no problem devouring their desserts. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dining in LotusHungryINLotusDined on 5/23/2014Wonderful restaraunt, we've been several times. The menu is seasonal and the chef grows many items himself. The care put into the food is evident in both presentation and quality. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as AlwaysKTRsvlDined on 5/23/2014Cafe Mahjaic continues to impress. The food is always original, excellently prepared and beautifully presented. The wine list contains some of the best quality wines in the region. Cafe Mahjaic is definitely a unique dining experience all should experience. It's worth the trip,Special Features:
- Truly a neighborhood gem!TheColonelVIPDined on 5/15/2014Located in the hear of downtown Lotus, right next to the PO this easy to find rest. has lots of free parking but most important some of the best imaginative food in the Sierra foothills. We had superb Salmon and a great bottle of local wine. Highly recomended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent findOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/11/2014We are staying at The Enchanted April Inn b&b in Pilot Hill and the proprietress recommended Cafe Mahjaic as a must. She was right! The service was friendly and efficient, and the food was excellent. I had a halibut special with vegetables that was fresh and light- excellent! My husband had the salmon special and could not stop saying how good it was. It we are ever in the area again we will without a doubt go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loncoolman95614Dined on 5/11/2014great food and wonderful reservation at making system. Truly a dining experience worththe time and effortSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.