Cafe Lou Lou - Highlands
2216 Dundee Road
Louisville, KY 40205Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
Cafe Lou Lou - Highlands
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://cafeloulou.com/
- Phone: 5024599566x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Chef Clay Wallace
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area
- Catering: Most menu items are available for parties of 30-35 or less.
A word from Cafe Lou Lou - Highlands
Lou Lou offers casual dining in a funky pop art space. Food is fabulously eclectic & servings are very generous. Please call for availability for larger parties.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cafe Lou Lou - Highlands reviews from OpenTable diners
8 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (4)good for groups (3)fit for foodies (2)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)romantic (1)special occasion (1)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)hot spot (1)vibrant bar scene (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Good food, slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/7/2014Food was good but they brought everyones out seperately about 5 minutes apart! If this was my first time at this restaurant I wouldn't go back. I realize it must have been an off night. Unfortunately I brought all new people with me that night, so they were not impressed.Special Features:
- BLAND!luv2wineanddineDined on 8/22/2014My husband and I had reservations and we arrived early but was still seated in the back by the bathrooms. We both ordered pasta dishes and they were so bland it was if they had been submerged in water!! I never give bad reviews but this was my first and last time dining here.
- Never disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/12/2014First time to the Highland's location, but I like it a lot. Same great food, same great service, but with that Highland's feel. Everyone there is very friendly.Special Features:
- Great!Ec109Dined on 7/19/2014Good food, great bar. Definitely reccomend it. Service was fast and they don't rush you out the doorSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- it was great placehlaundryDined on 7/11/2014it was a great find for after a round of golf, it was excellentSpecial Features:
- The following 111 reviews are from the Cafe Lou Lou - Highlands reviews archive.
- PBLAVIPDined on 6/13/2014Food was not good. Too much bread on sandwiches. Had the Gyro which was dry and not edible. Should come off the menu. It really couldn't pass for a gyro. Had chicken wing appetizer which was ok not notable.
- Great food, great service!DinerSLTDined on 5/9/2014Our party of 4 orderd caesar salads, shrimp & grits appetizer, and various pasta dishes. The 1/2 orders were still generous portions. All food was outstanding! Our server was terrific - attentive without hovering. The restaurant was very busy & he didn't miss a beat. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Good FoodBillDined on 5/4/2014Good mix of offerings. The crab and corn fritters were out of this world and I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute place with great food!SarahnadeDined on 3/12/2014I came here on a business trip hoping all the Open Table reviews were correct. They didn't let me down! Really great ambience, relaxed and made me feel at home. The waitress was good and I'm pretty sure the gentleman who was busing tables and asked how we were doing was the owner. It's obvious they take pride in their food and service. I'd definitely go back again!Special Features:
- We went to Cafe Lou Lou'sPottsDined on 3/4/2014We went to Cafe Lou Lou's for the Mardi Gras Fat Tuesday dinner. The food and service were great. The Gumbo was fabulous and I think the restaurant should add this item to its' menu permantly. I will visit more often if they did. Great night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodTee40223Dined on 3/1/2014This is a small restaurant but the food is always good, as well as the service. The soups are my favorite. I try a new soup every time I go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent funLambsidivyVIPDined on 1/29/2014Enjoyable! Everyone had a good meal... Hearty salads and hummus for the vege crew, pizza for the pizza folks and substantial pasta for everyone else. Wait staff was familiar, friendly and attentive. A regular, repetitive venue for consistent fun!Special Features:
- Great Late Bite!MaryLou1023Dined on 12/29/2013Had a lite dinner before attending the Boar's Head Festival. The service was fast and friendly and we had time to spare. the food was great and there was plenty to take home!Special Features:
- Always a Great ExperienceLouloufanDined on 12/14/2013Normally don't fill these out but our group has never had an off night at this restaurant. Food and service is always top notch and price is reasonable. Beer list is very impressive, some of the best IPA's I've ever had came by trusting our server's advice. It truly is a gem for Highlands dining and brew scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious but NoisyfoodrulesDined on 9/25/2013We were at Lou Lou's for dinner, and found most of the menu more like sandwiches and pizza lunch-type offerings. We opted for a scallop pasta special that was delicious. We asked for a quiet table, but that really wasn't an option. Conversation, music and television noise makes it very cheerful, but overly loud for my taste. The wine list was disappointing, but the service great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never a bad mealTracySDined on 9/1/2013I've eaten here many a time and gotten the same thing each time. I can't help it! The chicken portobello roll is delish! We'll be back again soon, I'm sure.Special Features:
- No full bar servicePickyEaterDined on 8/31/2013Dinner for four on a Saturday was great. We all really enjoyed our food -- two pasta dishes, one calzone and one pizza. We were just surprised to learn that Café LouLou in the Highlands doesn't have full bar service. Plenty of good wine and beer selections were offered, but no liquor. Surprising for a place that has such a big bar in front.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One night at Cafe Lou LouGMW09Dined on 7/27/2013I've been to Cafe Lou Lou several times now. The food is excellent, the bar is well-stocked with local and little-known varieties, and the bartender/server was very friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bar ReservationOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/6/2013We do not like to eat in the table area of the restaurant because it feels too confining and if there are children, it is usually loud and not comfortable for those of us who want a quiet dinner. Lou Lou's is so accommodating to reserve us a table in the bar area. Love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okRobbDined on 6/6/2013It is a converted store front of some sort and has very little ambiance to it. It was so noisy, we had to get out to have a conversation with our friends. Some sou d baffles or something on the walls would help absorb noise. Food was good and tasty, presentation lacking. All in all, a decent neighborhood place, but I wouldn't drive across town to go there again.Special Features:
- Always good.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/1/2013I've never had a bad experience at either Lulu location. Good food. Last visit was quick, which was what I was looking for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time there. EverythingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/17/2013First time there. Everything was very nice. Thanks for a good meal.Special Features:
- Great spot for casual lunchRKS612VIPDined on 3/15/2013Great spot for casual lunch with many good choices. Chicken portobello wrap was delicious, but their seasoned fries are too spicy.Special Features:
- Fun restaurant! Friendly service,LambsidivyVIPDined on 2/20/2013Fun restaurant! Friendly service, boisterous patrons, good and plentiful tasty food and 1/2 price bottle of wine on Weds.! We had a great time. Are repeat offenders to Lou Lou's in the Highlands and love it!Special Features:
- Fat Tue FUN!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/12/2013Fantastic Fat Tue meal and ambiance!!!! Usually not so loud, but loud on Fat Tue due to the great cajian music!Special Features:
- Had the meatball sandwich,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/9/2013Had the meatball sandwich, and it was excellent. Wait staff was engaging and eclectic. Place was a little hard to find for someone unfamiliar with the neighborhood.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/3/2013I have been to the St. Matthews location of Cafe Lou Lou several times but this was my first visit to the Highlands location. I was very disappointed in the quality of the food. The Shrimp and Grits appetizer was bland; more like cheese grits with shrimp dropped on top rather than the genuine southern dish. All three people in our party ordered pasta dishes, and we were all disappointed. The white wine sauce in one dish was overly oily. The Chicken Marsala was made with dark meat chicken and limp mushrooms and had little Marsala flavor. The Chicken Picata was sent back to the kitchen...which is why I rate the service as very good. This problem was addressed quickly. On this night, Cafe Lou Lou was a big disappointment.
- Same menu as st Mathews location,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/5/2013Same menu as st Mathews location, but some items were not as well prepared or as good as that location.Special Features:
- Hidden Neighborhood GemOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/5/2013Quaint neighborhood restaurant tucked away on Dundee Rd. You have to go inside a hallway to access the front door which is a bit odd but just seems to add to the quirkiness. Excellent food, very large portions. My dining companion & I split a small salad & a sandwich and found it to be plenty. Will definitately go back to this location or the other location in St Matthews.Special Features:
- Great dining experience...philsieDined on 12/31/2012I brought my family here on New Years Eve (table of 6). At first they had us seated in the bar area (I did make the reservation somewhat late) but they made accomodation for us elsewhere as my mother's knees prevented her from mounting the bar stools. Bonus points for service. It was busy but the food came fast. Apps were Shrimp&Grits (5*), Polenta (5*), and shrimp cocktail (for my kids, 4*). We all shared, we all loved them. Kids had cheese pizza (4*) and lasagna (this was wonderful! 5*+). Two had the fish special (though slightly overdone it presented and tasted very good, 4*). I had the Carbonara (2*,decidedly bland- needed garlic and salt badly). Salad was great too. Service was excellent and spot on. Decor is Modern-HipSpecial Features:
- Very nice! We really enjoyedmlsprigDined on 12/26/2012Very nice! We really enjoyed our dining experience. Will return when in the area.Special Features:
- There were six of us diningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/22/2012There were six of us dining for lunch for a holiday celebration, and we were very pleased with the food and service. None of us had ever been to Cafe Lou Lou and will definitely return as a group and individually. Thank you for a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:
- sticking to St. MatthewsEJXD2VIPDined on 11/11/2012Love Cafe Lou Lou, but I seem to enjoy the St. Matthews location much more than I do this one. Both the food and service seem better at St. Matthews.Special Features:
- Meh +OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/28/2012It was a bit crowded and noisy when we were there. The waitstaff and kitchen seemed able to handle it. The food was pretty decent for the price. I give it a Meh+.Special Features:
- Recommended!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/16/2012This go-to neighborhood gem should never be off your list. Everyone in your party will find something interesting here - outside the usual bar food. This particular location can be a little loud sometimes if you sit in the bar area, but even that is worth it. This place is great for groups of all sizes and they really try to make your meal pleasant. I highly recommend!Special Features:
- We had a very good meal -RobBVIPDined on 9/3/2012We had a very good meal - but the real treat was our waiter, Scott. The way he anticipated our every need or want was amazing - you'd start to say (or think) "I wish I had..." and he would appear with it before you could finish the thought. Made for a great evening!Special Features:
- We ordered pizza, salads,bourbonloverDined on 8/12/2012We ordered pizza, salads, and a sandwich. All the food was fresh and had a good taste. The fries were super spicy but tasty. Though the fries could have been hotter. They had an excellent beer list, but no liquor. Our waitress was attentive. We enjoyed our dining experience.Special Features:
- Our favorite neighborhoodMattRossiterVIPDined on 7/25/2012Our favorite neighborhood spot...the take good care of us. I can't remember the name of the pizza, but when you combine ricotta cheese, bell peppers, sausage/meatball slices...you have just made one of our favorite pizzas. A great capri salad to start it off and throw in the fact that its Half Price Wine Wednesday....What a great way to spend a Hump Day Dinner!Special Features:
- Food was excellent - fourOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/16/2012Food was excellent - four cheese ravioli with shrimp in a tomato vodka sauce is to die for! And the selection of beer is extensive and unique - will be going back soon.Special Features:
- I have dined at Cafe Lou LouOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/9/2012I have dined at Cafe Lou Lou many, many times, and each experience has been excellent.Special Features: