4762 Chicago Ave South
Minneapolis, MN 55407Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://cafelevain.com/
- Phone: (612) 823-7111
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm. *Please note that on Sundays, Cafe Levain offers our Sunday Supper prix fixe menu ($25, or $20 for vegetarian option) along with a selection of a la carte items. Our regular menu is not available that evening.
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Cafe Levain offers a number of options for special events in our restaurant. We've hosted wedding ceremonies and receptions, holiday parties, birthday parties, fundraising galas and more! First, we have a chef's table area that may accommodate anywhere from two to 35 guests. This area is adjacent to the kitchen and offers a bird's-eye view of our cooks hard at work on the line. For those hosting larger events, we do allow the option of renting the main dining area - which seats about 75 guests comfortably - as an alternative or in addition to the chef's table.
- Private Party Contact: Dina Carpenter 6128237111
- Special Events: Cafe Levain has helped guests plan for and execute events including wedding ceremonies and receptions, corporate event parties, non-profit fundraising galas, birthday parties and more.
A word from Cafe Levain
After three years of operating as the well-known fine dining Restaurant Levain, Café Levain was launched in 2007 as a French bistro with a full menu of comfort food done right.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Cafe Levain - Best Restaurants in South Minneapolis ›
Cafe Levain reviews from OpenTable diners
- The best part was the tasteOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/23/2014I live a legitimate two blocks from Cafe Levain and like New Yorkers with Times Square, I tend to only visit when someone is in town visiting me. Unlike New Yorkers, I should actually be going here more often. We had the Sunday Supper, which is a three-course, price-fixe option for only thirty American dollars. I had a pear salad, braised beef with parsnips and creme brulee. Now I'm all about getting the deals and $30 here is an absurd savings for cuisine. No, it's not dinner, it's fine dining cuisine, in my neighborhood, that I'm too stupid to bring my wife to more often. Yes, the taste of the three courses was incredible and the Paulaner beer, that's Bavarian German legit beer, on tap was on point. What you need to know, dear reader, is that I tweeted at Adam Vickerman, the chef before I arrived, asking what was on the Sunday Supper menu. He let me know the either/or option of each dish, then welcomed me to visit over the internets. Not thinking anything of the exchange, we stopped in. Before we ordered, we were given soup, complimentary, from the chef. Because, why not, he's trying a new thing and gave us a little taste. My father ate his sweet potato soup, and finished my wife's who was saving room for the meal, after getting a second order of bread to soak up all remnants of the soup. Ever fond of getting recognized by a chef, we continued on our courses, not thinking of it. My wife ordered the ribeye meal and was given a free dessert, as my mother and father both ordered the supper with myself. The chef didn't want her to be left out. I suppose foodies or often repeating customers receive such service, but I haven't and was delighted to think of this. I'm local. I live blocks away and yet, the service and taste were still there to under promise and over deliver. In short, I had dishes I COULD make at home, sure, but not the x1000 better that Levain can. TL;DR The best part of Cafe Levain is the taste. You should go here and eat the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday SuppersouthsideDined on 11/2/2014The 3-course Sunday special was a good choice - especially the non-vegetarian vegetable salad, the vegetarian entree (polenta), and the chocolate dessert. Fish entree (monkfish with black bean) was fine but not as delicious. Nice atmosphere for a special evening out in the neighborhood with (adult) family.Special Features:
- Great Sunday Supper!mplsdinersDined on 11/2/2014My wife and I went for the first time this past weekend. We had the Sunday Supper tasting menu which was fantastic. The favors in all of the courses were amazing. The wine pairing option was spot on and a great value. This place was a pleasant surprise for us. As good as any French restaurant in town! We would (will) go back for sure!Special Features:
- Tremendous!Szq333Dined on 11/1/2014The short rib dinner may have been in my top five, best-ever meals! Tremendous food, nice ambience and great service. The chef is clearly tending to the details that make for a superb meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good RestaurantSteveofoto1VIPDined on 10/24/2014Our second visit to this gem of a restaurant. We both had the Beef Short Ribs. Very tasty, served quickly, and nicely presented. Busy restaurant although it's easy to hear. Parking in the neighborhood is a slight challenge.Special Features:
- Very good standardsNorthfielddinerDined on 10/24/2014Nothing unusual, but some very well done versions of classics. The mussels, French onion soup, and short ribs were all very good. A limited, traditional menu, but that was exactly what we were in the mood for. Also a nice, simple space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as Always!TravelingFoodieVIPDined on 10/18/2014We always enjoy a great dinner by Adam Vickerman and crew. The service is always great and they seem to make an effort to remember repeat customers. The butternut squash soup was amazing!Special Features:
- October Friday nightOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/17/2014Had a wonderful dinner and celebrated a birthday! The service was very attentive and relaxed. The food, steak, shortribs and scallops, was wonderful! I would recommend this restaurant to everyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsAnnODined on 10/16/2014We often bring out of town guests here because the experience is consistently wonderful. Excellent and interesting food at reasonable prices.Special Features:
- Loved it.MinneappleeatsVIPDined on 10/11/2014Cafe Levain has the perfect date night vibe but there were also a few groups that seemed to be enjoying the amazing food and lively conversation. It seems quite unassuming from the exterior but when you walk in, it's immediately cozy and warm. We both enjoyed every dish we ordered. We split a salad, an entree and three sides and left with a lot of leftovers. Most others' dishes looked quite large too. The beer and wine list is great. The service was a little slow but our server was also serving a large private group. Overall, it was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Neighborhood GemCariVIPDined on 10/9/2014Great every night and they have a special Sunday Dinner - 3 course prix fixSpecial Features:
- MlleDined on 10/5/2014My husband and I dined on a Sunday evening when they offer a prix fixe 3 course menu ($25) and a prix fixe wine pairing ($15) along with our choices. The food was excellent French inspired fare and the wine served with each course were perfect compliments. All in all, a good value and a very enjoyable experience. We look forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- melt in your mouthPCdeDined on 10/5/2014Butternut squash soup was fantastic, I've been dreaming about it since. The shortribs, I had read, were fabulous, and I agree. Yummy accompaniments. We had a great time with the Sunday night prix fixe menu and plan to go again soon!Special Features:
- Sunday Supper...always a great dealceejVIPDined on 10/5/2014We came in for Sunday Supper choosing to have the wine pairings with each course. Our friend doesn't eat meat and Chef Adam graciously prepared a vegetable ragu for 2 of us. Hubby had the chicken with hen of the woods mushrooms...awesome flavors and textures. Started with the mussels with a rich, amazing broth which came with a side of frittes...overkill since there was bread for dipping into the broth. When our pot de creme came we sadly could only eat a couple of bites of the decadent, creamy dark chocolate. Service started out great, but as groups of 6 and more started arriving with no reservation, I think the staff became a little overwhelmed. No problem though since we weren't in a hurry. All in all, dinner was lovely as always!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/3/2014Great food, excellent service! We weren't rushed and enjoyed a leisurely meal while the tables around us turned over twice, with no pressure to hurry it up. Fabulous night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- neighborDined on 10/2/2014wonderful seasonal food changing menu so it never gets boring. top of the line serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/28/2014We made a last minute reservation for Sunday dinner with our kids (8&11). We decided to go with the Sunday dinner prefix menu. A great deal at three courses for $25. The food was delicious. I particularly enjoyed the Butternut squash soup and Braised Beef; less so the crepe for dessert. Still, I was so full by the time dessert rolled around I couldn't have eaten it anyways! By any measure this little spot is a true gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent and great valueDaveVIPDined on 9/28/2014Had a group of eight people in this past Sunday. The Sunday $25 prix fixe menu options might just be the best value in town. Among the eight of us, we had pretty much everything on the menu and nothing disappointed. Standouts: squash soup, roast chicken (bleu cheese polenta), coq au vin and braised short ribs.Special Features:
- OutstandingCcccDined on 9/27/2014For a top-notch dining experience: delicious food, warm ambiance and excellent service we always go to Café Levain. They have something for everyone, always with an amazing vegetarian entree, so everyone is satisfied. Consistently delicious and a lovely experience.Special Features:
- Perfect For a Night Out W/Friends!lindakeVIPDined on 9/21/2014We have dined several times at Levain, most recently with groups of 10. The food is always first-rate and the service is excellent. The Sunday Dinner offering is an exceptional value and worth the trip. We continue to recommend this outstanding restaurant to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but bad serviceAndyDined on 9/20/2014Visited Cafe Levain for our anniversary. Overall, our food was very good. We each started with soup. The french onion was salty but still good, and we both thought that the mushroom soup (newer to the menu) was delicious. I'd definitely order it again. I had the chicken and kale for the main course, I normally don't order chicken at a nice restaurant, but Levain always has excellent chicken. My wife had the vegetable ragout, it was underwhelming and a little too salty. Unfortunately, our waiter was terrible. He paid no attention and basically disappeared. Too bad. I've had good service at Levain before. It seemed like the other wait staff worked harder. If we go again I'll definitely ask to be in someone else's section.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A not great at normally great placeJuliejcDined on 9/19/2014We have bee to Levain several times and always loved it. Our in laws were visiting from out of town and we wanted to have a special meal with them. We really talked it up. In the end, the air conditioning wasn't working in the dining room, which made it feel swelteriny hot. It also took almost an hour and a half before from arrival to entree delivery. As we left, I found myself apologizing to my guests as it was clear they were quite put out in the end. I normally love this restaraunt, and we will go back, but was disappointed management didn't come over and apologize for our difficult experience. I regretted that the final, special meal of their visit ended this way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent hearty fareWellFedDined on 9/19/2014The food at Levain was very hearty and flavorful. The french onion soup was loaded with sweet onions and had an excellent broth - absolutely recommended. The mussels were good as well but I did get a few with sand which makes it hard to rate the food outstanding. The short ribs were fabulous. Our table also ordered the chicken and the burger which looked amazing and I was told were also excellent. Overall, full flavored, hearty fall fare. I rated the service as good only because I think the waiter forgot about us after he brought the wine. After that, the service was perfect.Special Features:
- The guys can cook.TheFamousGrouseDined on 9/12/2014Here's the short version: Eat the short ribs. 5 stars. That's all the people need to know. The longer version: What a gem. Everyone should start with the French onion soup and here's why: It's not soup, it's a work of soup sculpture. I ordered the short ribs and they were excellent. Tender and perfect with accompanying veggie puree and 5 stars all the way. I should note that the simple things for me tell the tale, if you can do the "rough" cuts well, that's a sign to me that you have the whole package. My wife did the ribeye and again it was perfect. But huge! These guys know their meat. Service was great, wine list was approachable and appropriate, atmosphere great. Eat there.Special Features:
- Always outstandingceejVIPDined on 8/21/2014I took an out-of-town friend to Cafe LeVain for dinner. I had been raving about the delicious and creative ways in which Chef Adam uses the freshest ingredients. We both ordered the short ribs which are always amazingly tender and flavorful. I also ordered the corn chowder which we shared. Our server was very pleasant and helpful but not overbearing. My friend really enjoyed her first experience at Cafe Levain and I was happy that this bistro is not only in my neighborhood but never fails to impress!Special Features:
- August Tasting MenucookNeatDined on 8/10/2014Corn chowder is the winning first course option and the real standout of the night! Among us, we tried it all… no complaints about any of the main courses and both desserts were delicious. At $25, Cafe Levain's tasting menu is a good choice for Sunday nights; the food is well-balanced and the portion size is perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE Café Levain!!!FoodLoverDined on 8/8/2014Café Levain is the BEST restaurant I've ever been to! The food is fantastic- there are so many flavors and big portions! The staff are attentive, funny, and really know their stuff! If you make a reservation online, you can put in a special request. I put "please leave a note that says 'Francis and Lynset' on the table. Instead of doing this, they brought us out TWO FREE DESSERTS with the card stuck into one of them! This restaurant really goes above a d beyond!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerdateNightDined on 7/25/2014Service was excellent. The corn chowder which we split was the best I've ever had. My wife's short ribs were wonderful with the Polenta. I ordered the rib eye which sadly was not. Not sure what cut it was but it was tough, thick and hard to chew. We'd go back for the service and chowder but stay away from the steak.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/25/2014Our whole party loved the whole experience. We will be back! And we will spread the word--not to be missed.Special Features:
- Neighborhood gemFantaDined on 7/24/2014Cafe Levain is a good reliable place to have a nice dinner. The food is consistently good and the waitstaff attentive. The prices are reasonable. My husband and I are quite choosy as to where we eat and Cafe Levain remains on our list as a preferred place to eat.Special Features:
- Great food at a good price point!Niklo78Dined on 7/19/2014Everyone enjoyed their food immensely, without breaking the bank. Great choice for a romantic date or meeting a group of friends.Special Features:
- JimboDined on 7/19/2014Very good meal, well prepared and presented,, very goo service, highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bastille DayCariVIPDined on 7/15/2014Cafe LeVain celebrated Bastille Day with some wonderful French specials. I had the boullibase which was fantastic & my husband had the cassoulet which included pork belly, chicken & chicken sausage. There was also mussels & creme brûlée which I highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top NotchDaveVIPDined on 7/13/2014The "Sunday Supper" (Three courses for $25) is an insanely great value. Every dish we had was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will go again.FauxFoodieDined on 7/13/2014Great food. Very personal service. Our server had worked there >10 years and took great pride in the restaurant.Special Features:
- our anniversaryouranniversaryDined on 7/3/2014They gave us the best tabel in the house made our night very special great food! Not for picky eaters tho. But it was truly amazing!Special Features:
- onlymyop123VIPDined on 6/21/2014Have dined here several times, always great food and service. Reasonably priced. Very well selected wine list.Special Features:
- Simply FabulousBeSpoiledDined on 6/21/2014Cafe Levain is a treat. Just remember, the menu is limited to five or six entrees on any given night. But ooh-lah-lah, what fabulous entrees they are. Never had a bad experience here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/20/2014Fantastic experience. We split the chicken and short ribs. Both were amazing. The chicken had cracklingly crisp skin, yet was still juicy. The short ribs were infused with flavor and rich without being overly fatty. For those who appreciate the little things about good food (technique, ingredients), give it a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sunshineDined on 6/15/2014Sorry to have to report a disappointing meal. We've had several outstanding meals in the past. Hopefully this was an aberation. I'll start out with the praise--the French onion soup was superb. The green salad was good, but not outstanding. The ribs were good, but we thought the updated preparation was not as good as the previous recipe. Then the halibut--very bland fish, with a vegetable and lentil combo that was very spicy and not to my taste at all. The spring vegetable melange was very disappointing. The same spicy preparation for the whole dish. The vegetable melange last summer had several vegetables, all with a different preparation, all scrumptious, and all worked well together. I hope they will bring back that special dish.