Cafe la Rue - La Valencia Hotel
1132 Prospect Street
La Jolla, CA 92037Neighborhood:
La Jolla / Golden Triangle
EuropeanPrice: $30 and under
Cafe la Rue - La Valencia Hotel
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafelaruelav.com/
- Phone: (858) 454-0771
- Hours of Operation:
Open Daily: 6 am - 10pm
Happy Hour Daily: 4pm - 6pm
Food Service from 11 am - Close
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: European
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Cafe la Rue - La Valencia Hotel
Now open for business is Café la Rue (Bistro + Bar)! Experience Modern European Cuisine in a casual village atmosphere, here in the heart of La Jolla.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cafe la Rue - La Valencia Hotel reviews from OpenTable diners
4 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (2)great for outdoor dining (2)good for groups (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- DissapointingLJReviewerVIPDined on 9/26/2014Despite having high expectations for the restaurant the overall experience was not great. The server was generally not attentive, and brought the wrong food to the table. Instead of slowing down the entree as they prepared the starter, everything remained on their schedule with the entree arriving before the correct starter. As far as ambiance, i think it is inappropriate for restaurants to allow patrons dogs to sit in the chairs at the table.
- Not as good as before.LJFoodieDined on 8/10/2014Not sure how you can mess up a hamburger but they did. I asked for it rare to medium rare and got it well done. Our waiter never came back to check. When it was pointed out to him he, check and assured me it wasn't his mistake.....really? I would go have a cocktail there but I will pass on the food. Too bad, it was such a great place!Special Features:
- The following 5 reviews are from the Cafe la Rue - La Valencia Hotel reviews archive.
- It Needs to ImproveFriendlyVIPDined on 7/20/2014At a dinner for 3, we were all disappointed by the dining experience. The Cafe atmosphere really had none. The room was warm, with no open windows. It was stuffy and empty. Why eat at the Cafe inside, when the outdoor dining is so much nicer and better. We won't be back to this one, but will try the other hotel restaurants instead.Special Features:
- Sandwiches with a Bistro FeelCHASDined on 5/11/2014If really casual dining with linen napkins is what you crave in La Jolla, then this may be a fit. The menu is most informal, with an emphasis on sandwiches and stylish appetizers. It is a constant food listing that does not vary from late morning to closing time. The ambience is created with lots of open space and stone flooring and tabletops, giving rise to the notion you could spill anything and not leave a permanent stain. The wine-by-the glass list is above average, and the mixed drinks were good. When next I have an urge for an upscale Burger Lounge, this restaurant will be considered. But it is not for those with a hankering for finer dining.
- Miss the Whaling Bar ambianceDelMarDinerDined on 5/7/2014The new decor at Cafe LaRue is unfortunate--it looks a bit more like a Denny's than a historical venue. The decorator went overboard with the two-color leather chairs and accessories. The only good thing is that it is light and bright, but seriously--couldn't they have done a restoration rather than a complete overhaul? The food was OK. French onion soup good but in a tiny bowl. The service, however, is poor. The waiters seem ill-trained and not informed about the menu. This is the second visit in a month. The first time, I was there with someone with celiac disease, who cannot eat foods with gluten. Ultimately he served her a salad...WITH BREAD CROUTONS. Ridiculous.
- More a bar than a restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/28/2014More a bar than a restaurant. Just not worth the money as a restaurant. Stay with the great snacks.
- They did not honor our reservation;OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/21/2014They did not honor our reservation; they said they no longer take reservations and have withdrawn from Open Table?I would recommend this to a friend.