Cafe La Haye
140 E Napa St
Sonoma, CA 95476Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Cafe La Haye
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafelahaye.com/
- Phone: 7079355994
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Jeffrey H. Lloyd
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Cafe, Farm to Table, Wine
A word from Cafe La Haye
Located just off the square in the town of Sonoma "Cafe La Haye is one of those rare restaurants in which you know the moment you walk in the door you're going to have a good time...Simple food prepared to perfection... excellent service". -Michael Bauer San Francisco Chronicle!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Cafe La Haye - Best Restaurants in Sonoma ›
Cafe La Haye reviews from OpenTable diners
126 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (94)neighborhood gem (76)special occasion (68)romantic (44)notable wine list (42)hot spot (16)great for lunch (5)late-night find (5)good for groups (3)great for outdoor dining (3)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Small, but goodfatmanadtVIPDined on 9/19/2014We visited this small restaurant after reading so reviews. The food was very good. The quail was prepared to perfection. Stuffed with wild rice. The salads had a wonderful soft cheese and heirloom tomatoes. Our desserts were great. I had a silk chocolate cake and the wife had the peach crumble. Coffee was good and strong. The place was small. The tables were very close. We happen to be sitting next to 4 very loud patrons that were quite talkative. Made dinner a little unpleasant. Not much anyone can do about that situation. The place was full and reservations are a must.Special Features:
- Best place in sonomaOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/18/2014Best place in sonoma. Enough said. Just trying to get to 50 characters now.Special Features:
- Sonoma diningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/18/2014Early dining reservation. Guest of ours sat with sun in her face for over an hour. Salads, entrées and dessert were all outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well worth itRodgeacDined on 9/12/2014Very cool little place, you can see into the kitchen which I liked but some may not because it was a noisier place. Definitely need reservations. My husband had the filet and he said it was literally the best he's ever had, we had a tuna appetizer, cheese cake, and chocolate tort which were also AMAZING! My dish was just so-so and the waiters we had while attentive was not friendly. Except for these items it would have gotten 5 STARS a crossed the board.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrating an important dayCorkieKDined on 9/11/2014We almost always celebrate a special,occasion here and this was another special occasion. The kitchen always turns out excellent meals, quite quickly ( but no rushing) and the service is impeccable. Friendly staff make it a pleasure to dine there. Tasty cherry and frisée salad started our dinner. My husband had the crab appetizer for dinner, with an additional cake to make it an entree. My steak was perfect! The desserts are something worth waiting for. The chocolate cake with salt and nuts was heavenly. Cafe LaHaye is always enjoyable and tasty!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent eveningLornaVIPDined on 9/9/2014Small but select restaurant Near sonoma square. Charming..menu is limited due to size..but all the food for 4 of us was excellent. We will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/4/2014My husband and I had dinner here when we were in town visiting from Charlotte, NC. The food was amazing in every way. I made reservations ahead of time and when I called to ask about moving them to later they didn't have an opening but shortly after I received a call back telling me that they were able to fit us in later. I was so appreciative and really showed how much they care about their diners. 100% recommend!Special Features:
- Sonoma GemWine24VIPDined on 9/2/2014If you are looking for a casual yet refined place to dine in the Downtown Sonoma Square look no further. Cafe La Haye is a boutique dining restaurant located right off the square in Sonoma. Small menu, great variety, and the food is wonderful with nice portions. Very farm to table. The service staff is always smiling. For your next visit to wine country, add Cafe La Haye to the list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb!DeliciousDined on 8/29/2014What a superb meal had! Totally enjoyed the oysters. I had the filet mignon, which melted in my mouth. My husband had the pork chop and he kept on raving about it. kudos to the staff and chef. job well done!Special Features:
- Absolutely WonderfulSonomagirlDined on 8/27/2014My husband and I had the pleasure of celebrating his birthday at Café La Haye this past week. I cannot say enough wonderful things about our experience. The food was outstanding, the wine stellar and the dessert - I cannot stop thinking about! Everything was perfect. His pork chop arrived so beautifully plated, he hated to disturb it. But, was thrilled that he did. I had the filet mignon just melted in my mouth - perfection. We cannot wait to go back. Hope to see you there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shared the Risotto and Pork ChopFellowFoodieDined on 8/22/2014Relaxing and delicious early dinner - followed by a stroll around town - made for a perfect night in Sonoma. Not too full and every bite was appreciated. Reservations recommended; the place filled up quickly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!MzWzzlrVIPDined on 8/21/2014Everything about our dinner at this restaurant was awesome: food, wine, service, the atmosphere. I'm local, and it's going to be my new go-to spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great cafe in Sonoma!JanetDined on 8/19/2014We recently visited Sonoma and ate here. It was fantastic! The food was excellent and wine was great. It was within walking distance of where we stayed which was really convenient. It has a cozy cafe feel and was busy but not too noisy. The service was also excellent. I would highly recommend it if you stay in Sonoma.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible find.ejonesDined on 8/19/2014Wonderful food and wine, friendly service, relaxing atmosphere, this place has everything. It's a perfect California dining experience. Will be back whenever we're near Sonoma.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Dining ExperienceGreatdineDined on 8/16/2014Read about Cafe La Haye and made reservations several months in advance for a special birthday celebration during a family get away in Sonoma. All six in our party were very impressed with the food presentation, taste and overall experience. The pork chop is particularly amazing. Cafe La Haye turned out to be an outstanding choice.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemBuffystDined on 8/16/2014Why travel to Yountville to be disappointed by rude doormen, overpriced cuisine, and reservation blues when you can relax in Sonoma and enjoy a truly superb dining experience at Cafe La Haye?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal in Sonoma!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014My husband and I ate here on a busy Friday night. Food was outstanding as was the service! It is a small and very popular restaurant so a reservation is a good idea.
- Lives Up To the HypeclrhoVIPDined on 8/14/2014We were referred here by six different wineries throughout Sonoma. Needless to say it more than lives up to the hype. Small, quaint, romantic, and definitely a foodie and wine lover spot. Nothing bad to say about this place. Come hungry and thirsty!Special Features:
- Small, attentive, greatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/14/2014Only 12 tables so you're never far from server, or the owner! The kitchen is tiny and open, so you see them efficiently prepare delicious food. If you like great food and service, Cafe La Haye is for you.Special Features:
- Sonoma best in the squareTimoDined on 8/13/2014We were recommended to get reservations here before we arrived to stay in Sonoma. We did and were delighted by the food. Some of the best salmon we've ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inventive, Creative MenuStPeteGirlDined on 8/12/2014We tried Cafe La Haye on the recommendation from a local who owns a vineyard. We brought our own wine so did not get a chance to check out the wine list. The restaurant was bright and lively, even late at night. A little on the smaller side, so I would recommend reservations during peak hours. The menu was eclectic, creative and original. I was torn between the ahi tuna, quail and risotto and ended up going with the risotto. It was absolutely heavenly, perfectly creamy with texture in the rice, and the vegetables in it were wonderful. My dining companion had the quail, which was also lovely. We each ordered salads first (large portions) and split the cheesecake for dessert. Wonderful meal, attentive service and reasonable prices.Special Features:
- Amazing food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014The food was amazing! We had the salmon and pork chop - both perhaps the best we've every had. Perfectly cooked, fresh, melt-in-your mouth goodness!! And considering the high quality of the food, the prices were quite reasonable.Special Features:
- superior customer serviceMorganizedDined on 8/8/2014Very appreciative of the chef who whipped up a special vegan risotto for my dinner guest. Great food and wonderful service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014Excellent food and very good service, no delays. Tuna was outstanding, (many have tuna, this was special) presentation unusually good also. We never have dessert, were tempted and it was worth the fat grams!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!Foodie25Dined on 8/2/2014My new favorite restaurant in Sonoma! Everything was perfect. Next time I will sit at the bar and watch the kitchen do their thing.Special Features:
- simple menu done rightVacationerVIPDined on 8/2/2014The open kitchen is little bigger than a food truck. The whole place is very small. The menu is small. But, every dish we tried was absolutely perfect. I had the special for the night; roasted quail. The skin was crisp and the meat succulent. I sincerely wanted to pick up the bones with my fingers to ensure I got every nibble... but, I didn't. I wish I had.Special Features:
- Good, Not GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/2/2014This was the third or three restaurants we ate at in the Napa/Sonoma area and it took third place. The food was good, but the service was lacking. We had to ask for our water glasses to be refilled on a number of occasions and the waitress either forgot or missed a few things during our visit.Special Features:
- A sophisticated, casual restaurant.4gr8diningDined on 8/2/2014Six of us dined on Saturday evening, and everyone was very happy with their food, from pork chops to lamb meatball pasta. The attentive service makes for a comfortable enjoyable dining experience, and we have always been more than happy with the excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must in SonomaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014This cafe was wonderful! My wife and I went for our honeymoon and the venue was perfect for our special occasion. A must when visiting Napa and Sonoma!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine MistakeOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/31/2014My wife and I, being local Sonomans, had heard good things about Cafe La Haye. We were curious. True to what we had heard, the Starter, Main and Desert were to die for. Hannah, our server, was wonderful. I probably errored in my beverage selection. The sherry was not dry or crisp. My selection of a Vivier Sonoma Coast pinot at fifty dollars left my judgment wanting as I sipped a damned average wine. We will go back; however, maybe we'll test La Haye's corkage tolerance and bring our own wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Atmosphere.foodisgoodDined on 7/30/2014Upon arrival the table was ready and the service was great. A small, cozy atmosphere where my wife and I had conversations at normal speaking level. The wine selection was great. The food was even better. So glad we could make it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodfoodieDined on 7/30/2014My wife and I enjoyed the food and the service. Would recommend based on food quality and presentation. Small place so recommend reservations.Special Features:
- Small & special in SonomaOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/29/2014Cafe La Haye is a modern restaurant just off the town square in Sonoma offering modern California inspired versions of classic dishes. + Great location, atmosphere, and service + Lamb and pasta dishes were first rate. Excellent flavors paired with delectable accompaniments + Fun selection of local wines I usually list 3 negatives to balance the three positives in my reviews but honestly I can thin of no negatives for Cafe La Haye. The food and service were excellent from start to finish.Special Features:
- BarbDined on 7/29/2014As a local, I'm kicking myself for not going to Cafe La Haye more often. The food is superb, the wine list varied (with good wines available at reasonable prices), and the service excellent. My husband and I tend to save the La Haye experience for special occasions, but we should treat ourselves more often.Special Features:
- Great foodLindaODined on 7/23/2014On a recent girl's getaway, we decided to try this little restaurant. I had heard it was small but I was surprised at how small. It was fairly filled on this evening but there were empty tables. The dinner was delicious but my problem was with the waitress. She did her job well, went through the paces but was not personable, not welcoming. Perhaps it was an off night for her but I've never experienced a server this cool before. I'm not sure I will return. The man at the door was lovely, friendly and took time to thank us for coming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice restaurant, a little stuffyCdubVIPDined on 7/22/2014This was our second time back, so we liked the place. This time, however, we found the the La Haye staff lacked the friendliness that we have come to expect in Sonoma. It seems to have turned into a very serious establishment - at least for the night. Even the small menu offers a warning against "substitutions" or changes to your order. Really? That seems very yester-year. And to boot, our server who was void of smiles, led us down the wrong direction with our order. I will take responsibility there. But I always expect friendly waitstaff and a welcoming environment. Maybe nextime.Special Features:
- Good Food without Outrageous PricesCharlotteFoodieVIPDined on 7/18/2014A small place in Sonoma that delivers very good food at a reasonable price. We started with beet salad, beef carpaccio & fried oysters - all were fresh & flavorful. Mains: Risotto, Chicken & Salmon - again, good portion size, flavorful with sides that complemented the main. Didn't stay for dessert. The dining area is somewhat "Spartan" décor, but the view into the kitchen allows a vicarious cooking class for the aspiring chef.Special Features:
- Exceeded high expectationsjfehrenbDined on 7/15/2014Gem just off city center square in Sonoma. Service was excellent. Great fresh salads. Nice list list -- waitress made a great call picking a wine that paired with roasted chicken and sole -- which were both terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BillDined on 7/15/2014My wife and I have dined here on every visit to Sonoma. I would never vacation in Sonoma without a trip to Cafe La Haye. The food and service is excellent. Give yourself treat and sit at the counter overlooking the kitchen. Watch the Chef and his staff. For a small kitchen it is amazing to watch the meals prepared. Stop here if you have the chance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!HoneymoonersDined on 7/15/2014The food was fantastic. The wine was wonderfully paired. Excellent service. Definitely eat here, you won't be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.