Cafe La Haye
140 E Napa St
Sonoma, CA 95476Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Cafe La Haye
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafelahaye.com/
- Phone: 7079355994
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Jeffrey H. Lloyd
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Cafe, Farm to Table, Wine
A word from Cafe La Haye
Located just off the square in the town of Sonoma "Cafe La Haye is one of those rare restaurants in which you know the moment you walk in the door you're going to have a good time...Simple food prepared to perfection... excellent service". -Michael Bauer San Francisco Chronicle!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Cafe La Haye - Best Restaurants in Sonoma ›
Cafe La Haye reviews from OpenTable diners
140 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (101)neighborhood gem (80)special occasion (72)notable wine list (49)romantic (45)hot spot (16)great for lunch (5)late-night find (5)great for brunch (3)good for groups (3)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Absolutely WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/27/2014My husband and I had the pleasure of celebrating his birthday at Café La Haye this past week. I cannot say enough wonderful things about our experience. The food was outstanding, the wine stellar and the dessert - I cannot stop thinking about! Everything was perfect. His pork chop arrived so beautifully plated, he hated to disturb it. But, was thrilled that he did. I had the filet mignon just melted in my mouth - perfection. We cannot wait to go back. Hope to see you there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shared the Risotto and Pork ChopOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/22/2014Relaxing and delicious early dinner - followed by a stroll around town - made for a perfect night in Sonoma. Not too full and every bite was appreciated. Reservations recommended; the place filled up quickly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!MzWzzlrVIPDined on 8/21/2014Everything about our dinner at this restaurant was awesome: food, wine, service, the atmosphere. I'm local, and it's going to be my new go-to spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great cafe in Sonoma!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/19/2014We recently visited Sonoma and ate here. It was fantastic! The food was excellent and wine was great. It was within walking distance of where we stayed which was really convenient. It has a cozy cafe feel and was busy but not too noisy. The service was also excellent. I would highly recommend it if you stay in Sonoma.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible find.ejonesDined on 8/19/2014Wonderful food and wine, friendly service, relaxing atmosphere, this place has everything. It's a perfect California dining experience. Will be back whenever we're near Sonoma.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Dining ExperienceGreatdineDined on 8/16/2014Read about Cafe La Haye and made reservations several months in advance for a special birthday celebration during a family get away in Sonoma. All six in our party were very impressed with the food presentation, taste and overall experience. The pork chop is particularly amazing. Cafe La Haye turned out to be an outstanding choice.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemBuffystDined on 8/16/2014Why travel to Yountville to be disappointed by rude doormen, overpriced cuisine, and reservation blues when you can relax in Sonoma and enjoy a truly superb dining experience at Cafe La Haye?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal in Sonoma!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014My husband and I ate here on a busy Friday night. Food was outstanding as was the service! It is a small and very popular restaurant so a reservation is a good idea.
- Lives Up To the HypeclrhoVIPDined on 8/14/2014We were referred here by six different wineries throughout Sonoma. Needless to say it more than lives up to the hype. Small, quaint, romantic, and definitely a foodie and wine lover spot. Nothing bad to say about this place. Come hungry and thirsty!Special Features:
- Small, attentive, greatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/14/2014Only 12 tables so you're never far from server, or the owner! The kitchen is tiny and open, so you see them efficiently prepare delicious food. If you like great food and service, Cafe La Haye is for you.Special Features:
- Sonoma best in the squareTimoDined on 8/13/2014We were recommended to get reservations here before we arrived to stay in Sonoma. We did and were delighted by the food. Some of the best salmon we've ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inventive, Creative MenuStPeteGirlDined on 8/12/2014We tried Cafe La Haye on the recommendation from a local who owns a vineyard. We brought our own wine so did not get a chance to check out the wine list. The restaurant was bright and lively, even late at night. A little on the smaller side, so I would recommend reservations during peak hours. The menu was eclectic, creative and original. I was torn between the ahi tuna, quail and risotto and ended up going with the risotto. It was absolutely heavenly, perfectly creamy with texture in the rice, and the vegetables in it were wonderful. My dining companion had the quail, which was also lovely. We each ordered salads first (large portions) and split the cheesecake for dessert. Wonderful meal, attentive service and reasonable prices.Special Features:
- Amazing food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014The food was amazing! We had the salmon and pork chop - both perhaps the best we've every had. Perfectly cooked, fresh, melt-in-your mouth goodness!! And considering the high quality of the food, the prices were quite reasonable.Special Features:
- superior customer serviceMorganizedDined on 8/8/2014Very appreciative of the chef who whipped up a special vegan risotto for my dinner guest. Great food and wonderful service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014Excellent food and very good service, no delays. Tuna was outstanding, (many have tuna, this was special) presentation unusually good also. We never have dessert, were tempted and it was worth the fat grams!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!Foodie25Dined on 8/2/2014My new favorite restaurant in Sonoma! Everything was perfect. Next time I will sit at the bar and watch the kitchen do their thing.Special Features:
- simple menu done rightVacationerVIPDined on 8/2/2014The open kitchen is little bigger than a food truck. The whole place is very small. The menu is small. But, every dish we tried was absolutely perfect. I had the special for the night; roasted quail. The skin was crisp and the meat succulent. I sincerely wanted to pick up the bones with my fingers to ensure I got every nibble... but, I didn't. I wish I had.Special Features:
- Good, Not GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/2/2014This was the third or three restaurants we ate at in the Napa/Sonoma area and it took third place. The food was good, but the service was lacking. We had to ask for our water glasses to be refilled on a number of occasions and the waitress either forgot or missed a few things during our visit.Special Features:
- A sophisticated, casual restaurant.4gr8diningDined on 8/2/2014Six of us dined on Saturday evening, and everyone was very happy with their food, from pork chops to lamb meatball pasta. The attentive service makes for a comfortable enjoyable dining experience, and we have always been more than happy with the excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must in SonomaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014This cafe was wonderful! My wife and I went for our honeymoon and the venue was perfect for our special occasion. A must when visiting Napa and Sonoma!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine MistakeOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/31/2014My wife and I, being local Sonomans, had heard good things about Cafe La Haye. We were curious. True to what we had heard, the Starter, Main and Desert were to die for. Hannah, our server, was wonderful. I probably errored in my beverage selection. The sherry was not dry or crisp. My selection of a Vivier Sonoma Coast pinot at fifty dollars left my judgment wanting as I sipped a damned average wine. We will go back; however, maybe we'll test La Haye's corkage tolerance and bring our own wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Atmosphere.foodisgoodDined on 7/30/2014Upon arrival the table was ready and the service was great. A small, cozy atmosphere where my wife and I had conversations at normal speaking level. The wine selection was great. The food was even better. So glad we could make it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodfoodieDined on 7/30/2014My wife and I enjoyed the food and the service. Would recommend based on food quality and presentation. Small place so recommend reservations.Special Features:
- Small & special in SonomaOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/29/2014Cafe La Haye is a modern restaurant just off the town square in Sonoma offering modern California inspired versions of classic dishes. + Great location, atmosphere, and service + Lamb and pasta dishes were first rate. Excellent flavors paired with delectable accompaniments + Fun selection of local wines I usually list 3 negatives to balance the three positives in my reviews but honestly I can thin of no negatives for Cafe La Haye. The food and service were excellent from start to finish.Special Features:
- BarbDined on 7/29/2014As a local, I'm kicking myself for not going to Cafe La Haye more often. The food is superb, the wine list varied (with good wines available at reasonable prices), and the service excellent. My husband and I tend to save the La Haye experience for special occasions, but we should treat ourselves more often.Special Features:
- Great foodLindaODined on 7/23/2014On a recent girl's getaway, we decided to try this little restaurant. I had heard it was small but I was surprised at how small. It was fairly filled on this evening but there were empty tables. The dinner was delicious but my problem was with the waitress. She did her job well, went through the paces but was not personable, not welcoming. Perhaps it was an off night for her but I've never experienced a server this cool before. I'm not sure I will return. The man at the door was lovely, friendly and took time to thank us for coming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice restaurant, a little stuffyCdubVIPDined on 7/22/2014This was our second time back, so we liked the place. This time, however, we found the the La Haye staff lacked the friendliness that we have come to expect in Sonoma. It seems to have turned into a very serious establishment - at least for the night. Even the small menu offers a warning against "substitutions" or changes to your order. Really? That seems very yester-year. And to boot, our server who was void of smiles, led us down the wrong direction with our order. I will take responsibility there. But I always expect friendly waitstaff and a welcoming environment. Maybe nextime.Special Features:
- Good Food without Outrageous PricesCharlotteFoodieVIPDined on 7/18/2014A small place in Sonoma that delivers very good food at a reasonable price. We started with beet salad, beef carpaccio & fried oysters - all were fresh & flavorful. Mains: Risotto, Chicken & Salmon - again, good portion size, flavorful with sides that complemented the main. Didn't stay for dessert. The dining area is somewhat "Spartan" décor, but the view into the kitchen allows a vicarious cooking class for the aspiring chef.Special Features:
- Exceeded high expectationsjfehrenbDined on 7/15/2014Gem just off city center square in Sonoma. Service was excellent. Great fresh salads. Nice list list -- waitress made a great call picking a wine that paired with roasted chicken and sole -- which were both terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BillDined on 7/15/2014My wife and I have dined here on every visit to Sonoma. I would never vacation in Sonoma without a trip to Cafe La Haye. The food and service is excellent. Give yourself treat and sit at the counter overlooking the kitchen. Watch the Chef and his staff. For a small kitchen it is amazing to watch the meals prepared. Stop here if you have the chance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!HoneymoonersDined on 7/15/2014The food was fantastic. The wine was wonderfully paired. Excellent service. Definitely eat here, you won't be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great small dining venueOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/12/2014What a special treat at this small little café. Great food, no hassle and friendly atmosphere.Special Features:
- One of our top ten meals!pachiorelleDined on 7/12/2014Fantastic food and great service, at very reasonable pricesSpecial Features:
- Cafe La HayeReviewer58Dined on 7/11/2014We hadn't been to Cafe La Haye in several years. Happy to report it is as good -- no, better -- than ever. The menu, though small, is chock full of winners, both as starters and as entrees. The fried oysters, which were done perfectly and served in a wonderful sauce, should not be missed, and the filet mignon, which was served with broccoli rabe and creamy garlic mashed potatoes, was as good as I've had anywhere. The restaurant is small and intimate, and the service is attentive and friendly without being overbearing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/8/2014We recently visited Sonoma and went to Cafe La Haye on our last night and couldn't have asked for a better meal to end our trip! I had the filet and my husband the pork chop and they were both excellent. Wonderful bottle of zinfandel as well that we'll definitely go in search for in the future! Great spot and great service - a definite must in Sonoma!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small vibrant restaurantFreshisbestVIPDined on 7/5/2014Delicious fresh and local cuisine. My salmon entree was light, served in a well seasoned broth with vegetables, and my husband loved the tagliatelle pasta, served with lamb meatballs. The owner, Saul, checked in to say hello and to inquire about our experience at his charming little restaurant. Our waitress was also attentive and congenial. Highly recommend this restaurant which was just off of the square in Sonoma.Special Features:
- This is wine countryPotbellyDined on 7/5/2014Food was very good. I had the pasta with lamb meatballs which was excellent. My wife had the fish and it was good (not great) that more seasoning would have enhanced. My biggest gripe is we had a glass of merlot and it was about 45 degrees. The flavor was not evident at this temperature. Service was very fast, so the wine never warmed up. We were told, well we keep our open wine in a cooler overnight. I can understand that, but you also can bring it out before serving. Folks, it is the wine country!!Special Features:
- Cafe La Haye a MustFLtravelingcoupleDined on 7/4/2014Cafe La Haye is always a must when we visit Sonoma. The daily risotto special uses fresh ingredients and combines incredible flavors. The risotto is the best we have ever had, anywhere. The food is consistently outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing ExperienceLikegreatserviceDined on 7/4/2014We were looking forward to our dinner at Cafe La Haye. The reviews were excellent and we were excited to try the restaurant. In special comments when I made the reservation, I included that two in our party were Gluten Sensitive. The restaurant confirmed and we were all set. Imagine our surprise when we sat down and reminded our server about the gluten allergies. Not only was she caught off guard, we were told that the chef can work around it but it has to be at his discretion what you're served. In this day and age we were shocked to find a restaurant that was not understanding to a major food allergy. It makes a GF person feel bad enough about trying to figure out what to order. This made our dining party feel even worse.
- VERY NICERICKVIPDined on 7/2/2014Delicious Sonoma food! Small restaurant with tasty preparation and food presentation.Special Features: