Cafe La Cave
2777 S. Mannheim Rd
Des Plaines, IL 60018Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: $30 and under
Cafe La Cave
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafelacave.net/
- Phone: 8478277818
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday open at 4:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Chef Maron
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: We believe in the highest level of hospitality and dazzling memorable events. Let us book any of your social or corporate events today.
- Private Party Contact: Gus Sutter 8478277818
A word from Cafe La Cave
Cafe La Cave's chef de cuisine melds classic continental with today's contemporary tastes for sumptuous results.The menu features aged steaks, fresh seafood , signature entrees and desserts. like Steak Dianne and Bananas Foster, prepared at your table with dramatic flare.An extensive wine list offers the perfect accompaniment to your meal plus our sommelier can help in choosing a fine selection.and our impeccable wait staff caters to your every need to ensure your expectations are satisfied thoroughly. Please your palate and pamper your senses, come out of the ordinary and into Cafe La Cave. Experience it now!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Cafe La Cave - Best Restaurants in Des Plaines ›
Cafe La Cave reviews from OpenTable diners
53 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (45)romantic (42)fit for foodies (16)neighborhood gem (13)notable wine list (12)good for groups (5)late-night find (4)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (2)scenic view (1)hot spot (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Way over-priced!JohnVIPDined on 8/30/2014While La Cave does a credible job of presenting an upscale Continental dining experience, they do not really deliver. We selected La Cave for our regular dinner group and we were stunned at the size of the bill. At least twice what would be expected for a similar experience with restaurants of the same caliber in the area, and nothing notable about the presentation, service or food quality. It was good - don't misunderstand - it was just not in sync with the outrageous prices.Special Features:
- BEST OF THE BEST!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/30/2014AS USUAL OUR DINING EXPERIENCE WAS SUPERB!!!! THE STAFF CANNOT DO ENOUGH FOR YOU TO MAKE IT A PLEASURABLE DINING EXPERIENCE.Special Features:
- Great Value for QualityBobCVIPDined on 8/24/2014I have eaten here many times and food is always excellent! Meals for Chicagoland area are reasonably priced!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe la Cave rocks!NanaDined on 8/16/2014We love the food and service at Cafe La Cave!! We always leave having a good time. With a good experience you would expect to pay mischief more but the price is every reasonable, a neighborhood gem for sure.Special Features:
- surpriseddisappointedDined on 8/16/2014Had to compete with a wedding. Seated in the bar but prices were not bar prices. Way to crowded and noisy.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2014The restaurant is beautiful and the food was good, but the waiter we had was not a good waiter..He Never came to check to see if we needed anything. his tip was how his service was $3, I recommend they get a new waiter who treat customers like he would like to be treated when he's spending his money....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good, but nothing exceptionalrnmintcDined on 8/6/2014After seated and waiting for a while, we had to ask for the menu. The server seemed surprised that we couldnt select our drinks before we decide what to eat... The salad I ordered was with too much dressing - I couldnt taste anything else but the dressing. The ribeye was good, but no seasong at all. The pomegranate martini - not impressive. I dont think I will go back.
- Pleasant evening with good friendsAuntmackiDined on 8/1/2014Good service, good food,good conversation. Been meaning to go here for dinner; just never seemed to get around to it. We were not disappointed. We had a most enjoyable evening. We would go back again - especially for a special occasion like our friend's birthday. Waiters sang to her and brought her a birthday dessert with a candle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dark and overpricedJoyfuldinerDined on 7/31/2014The restaurant may have been great in its heyday but it just looks dark and dingy. The food was nicely prepared. Exception were the crab cakes. Too mealy. With only 2 glasses of wine and dinner for 3 including dessert at $200 one would hope for better ambiance. A couple at the bar, which is in the restaurant itself, seated directly in front of us, in cutoff shorts and a t- shirt is not what we would expect.
- DarknessPeanutsVIPDined on 7/29/2014The service and food is always great. The only thing is when you and other people have to take out flashlights on your phone to see the menu and bill that only means it's a little to dark. I think if they turn the lights a just a little bit it would still be romantic for people.Special Features:
- Poor, rushed serviceLuv2eat2Dined on 7/27/2014Disinterested waiter, asked for our entree order right after bringing our salads. Had to ask twice for water refills.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulRomanticdineDined on 7/26/2014The food was wonderful the setting was perfect the music was great... Everything about this place was perfect and romantic. I have already recommended this place to friends and familySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- aminikaDined on 7/24/2014meni expensive poor win list smalls bad from food and oil :(Special Features:
- Best authentic classy restaurantWorkingForALivinVIPDined on 7/19/2014Classic service, classic cuisine - love it...cant wait until next time we go - get a groupon, get something , get to La CaveSpecial Features:
- AwesomeJthnewyearseveDined on 7/12/2014A throw back to a time when elegance, individual service, table side food preparation, and great food were the norm in fine dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!jmerryDined on 7/12/2014We visited Cafe La Cave using an "open table" gift certificate. The food was very nicely prepared, with great attention to detail. The service was professional and we had a very enjoyable experience. It's a bit pricey--everything is a la carte and we ordered drinks and dessert, so the total bill was close to $120 before tip for 2 people. The gift certificate covered most, but it's not the kind of place we would visit on a regular basis.Special Features:
- Beautiful roomajtshDined on 7/10/2014Smaller size restaurant. Great food. The Dover sole was prepared at the table and was the best I ever had. Cheesecake served in a martini glass with raspberry sauce was out of this world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High ClassPaulDined on 6/27/2014My wife and I always love our dining experiences at Café La Cave. Great food, wine and atmosphere. I highly recommend the Bananas Foster for desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- never disappointing...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/24/2014In spite of the torrential rains that came down on us on the way we were very happy to arrive, relax, have some fine wine, and celebrate a special day for us. We have celebrated that special day several times at Cafe la Cave. The traditional, elegant setting and the fine food harkens us back to the days of our early marriage when dining was tres chic. Always a good meal and memories.Special Features:
- GaryVIPDined on 6/21/2014This restaurant has been around for a lot of years. I haven't been there in a long time. The food and service were still excellent. The servers are very approachable and do an excellent job at presenting the food. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could be so much better!!trentonwayDined on 6/17/2014This is the second time we've been to Cafe La Cave in the last 8 months. We go there because it's halfway between South side friends and ourselves who live on the North Side. The food is great but both times we have had the same waiter who is the opposite of a high-level restaurant which really diminishes the experience. There is no polish to his service and you feel like he's hurrying you through the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Silver skinChefslavik7Dined on 6/17/2014I ordered a 14oz NY with shiitake truffle sauce. The steak had a lot of silver skin and fat, the steak was cooked nicely medium rare. Garlic mash was smooth and buttery. The asparagus was bland and unseasoned. The risotto was salty. The waiter was rude to my mother because she asked for if the wild rice still came with the steak Diane.Special Features:
- Classic restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/14/2014The food, service and atmosphere in the place were fantastic. I'd highly recommend this for a couples night out or for a couples get together.Special Features:
- Millerhm01Dined on 6/5/2014We visited Cafe La Cave in mid-week and had a lovely meal. The bone-in ribeye was delicious and the garlic mashed potatoes was a perfect complement. Very tempting was to order one of the several table side prepared entrees or desserts. Service was impeccable and the ambience was perfect to celebrate our wedding anniversary.Special Features:
- Great Place!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/30/2014My experience at Cafe Le Cave was amazing. I would definitely recommend it to a family or friend. The waiters were also pleasing and prompt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kicking It Old SchoolOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/24/2014This place is old school and like no other in Chicagoland. Real silver servingware, staff in tuxes, and simple, classic super high-quality and tasty food! The table side service is so cool. Dessert is a must with tableside-made bananas foster and/or cherries jubilee! Service was world-class and professional from an experienced staff, yet didn't feel stuffy; people were very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As good as everLetsEat15Dined on 5/20/2014Had not visited Cafe La Cave in many years, and was very pleased. Wonderful food was every bit as good as I remembered. They specialize in table side dishes such as steak Diane and Dover sole. Had the Dover sole and oysters. Delightful! Restaurant is an easy trip from any O'Hare area hotel.Special Features:
- Tacky ElegancecbsplaceDined on 5/17/2014Service was slow, everything was elacart and expensve. Cool cave vibe.Special Features:
- Food and service at its best!outandaboutDined on 5/10/2014Our dinner was simply AMAZING!! Impeccable service. Steak Diane, cooked tableside, was nothing short of fabulous. Bananas Foster, also cooked tableside, a perfect finish to a perfect meal. Such attention to detail. Not many places like this still around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 242 reviews are from the Cafe La Cave reviews archive.
- DisappointingSirDineALotVIPDined on 5/3/2014Far less satisfactory experience than a year ago. This time - inattentive service during meal; unsatisfactory oysters Rockefeller (4 small oysters, thin and runny cream sauce with little spinach, no seasoning); but - to their credit - after we complained, they brought us two more that were much better prepared. Caesar's salad that we ordered to be shared was brought on one plate and served to only one of us, leaving us to split it ourselves; noise blasting through an overhead speaker; seafood medley - while fresh with good-sized shrimp and scallops - was not sufficient portion and served only with small portion of gummy rice; dining companions, however, enjoyed their escargot and rack of lamb; expected better food and service.
- Still fabulous after 40+ yearsTrixieDined on 4/26/2014Even though we were the youngest couples in the dinning room, mind you we are in our late 40's, the food and the service were superb. Crab cake appetizer was delicious and the serving portion was large. The Steak Diane was served table side which was fun to watch. The steak was ok but overall it was a good dish. The seafood medley was very nice. We had the chocolate dessert that was served warm and it was delicious.Special Features:
- An Exceptional ExperienceJerryDined on 4/12/2014The Cave is always a fine dining experience. My wife and I go to the Cave a few times a year. Everything about it is exceptional. With a Groupon coupon, how can you possibly not enjoy the visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always fantastic. HoweverSuzeequeDined on 4/4/2014Always fantastic. However Was a bit loud that nightSpecial Features:
- The service was very goodMabikernDined on 3/30/2014The service was very good , although the place was rather empty. There were just a few tables of people. The table side preparation of Steak Diane was entertaining and tasty! Prices were high for main courses and they didn't include anything. I got a seafood pasta dish and it was delicious with the pasta perfectly al dente!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was really good and dessertMichaelDined on 3/28/2014Food was really good and dessert was well worth the price Drinks were over priced but what restaurant isn'tSpecial Features:
- The food was fantastic asdeb50Dined on 3/21/2014The food was fantastic as well as the service. The reason we don't frequent more often is the pricing. It is very expensive! It is just too expensive for weekly dining. Special occasion ok, but not justifiable for weekly visits. Such a shame.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Been a long timeCharlieVIPDined on 3/15/2014It was quite a long time since we've been here and we were both really looking forward to the experience. The night started out ominously when we arrived 30 minutes early to sit at the bar and enjoy the atmosphere but were told by a valet we could not due to someone renting out the restaurant including the bar. It would not open to the public until 7:15, the time of our reservation. That explained the couple we saw sitting in their car in the parking lot. They were waiting. Once we were allowed in the atmosphere and service were outstanding. My wife thought the scallops had a bit too much sauce and not quite enough risotto. My fish was excellent. All in all we are looking forward to returning soon. Hopefully the rental issue was a one-off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodJaniceDined on 3/8/2014We enjoyed the evening with friends, stayed 3 hours and were never rushed. Food was excellent, we all had different meals and each of us enjoyed them. Server was very attentive but not on top of us all the time.Special Features:
- Best restaurant everWorkingForALivinVIPDined on 3/7/2014Wish I could go every weekend - staff is awesome, food is awesome, drinks are great....Special Features:
- DisappointedSuzetteDined on 3/1/2014I took my boyfriend for his birthday , I expected so much more wasn't not Happy with the food it was ok not Great to make us want to return. I feel because of the dissappointment it ruin the birthday celebration. I will not recommend or Return , sorry!!!!!!Special Features: