Cafe La Cave
2777 S. Mannheim Rd
Des Plaines, IL 60018Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: $30 and under
Cafe La Cave
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafelacave.net/
- Phone: 8478277818
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday open at 4:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Chef Maron
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: We believe in the highest level of hospitality and dazzling memorable events. Let us book any of your social or corporate events today.
- Private Party Contact: Gus Sutter 8478277818
A word from Cafe La Cave
Cafe La Cave's chef de cuisine melds classic continental with today's contemporary tastes for sumptuous results.The menu features aged steaks, fresh seafood , signature entrees and desserts. like Steak Dianne and Bananas Foster, prepared at your table with dramatic flare.An extensive wine list offers the perfect accompaniment to your meal plus our sommelier can help in choosing a fine selection.and our impeccable wait staff caters to your every need to ensure your expectations are satisfied thoroughly. Please your palate and pamper your senses, come out of the ordinary and into Cafe La Cave. Experience it now!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Cafe La Cave - Best Restaurants in Des Plaines ›
Cafe La Cave reviews from OpenTable diners
66 reviews since May 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (51)romantic (50)fit for foodies (21)notable wine list (16)neighborhood gem (14)good for groups (8)late-night find (6)scenic view (3)great for brunch (3)hot spot (3)vibrant bar scene (3)great for lunch (2)Show More
- Happy Anniversary !rhk2131Dined on 9/20/2014Sorry to say, it was not a pleasant dinning experience.The lobster bisque was extremely watered-down to the point of not being able to distinguish a lobster taste. We have had it on a number of occasions in other restaurants, and it was always served it thick/tasty and there was no comparison.Ordered potatoes au gratin - Unbelievable! there were two triangular pieces of baked potato slices that were fused together and hard as a rock. Bread sticks were completely stale. Wife's fish and my filet were acceptable except so small,I left the table feeling "cheated."In all,it wasn't really a "perfect night," especially when celebrating a special family occasion-that cost us over $145.00-for the privilege of eating at Café La Cave!
- Great experienceAelissawDined on 9/19/2014I took my wife and kids, we all enjoyed the food, and service. Service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They added 18% tip on tax?!HaldenVIPDined on 9/13/2014I don't mind tipping for services rendered, but when the check, for more then 8 diners, included a 18% gratuity on food, drinks, AND TAX, that's where I draw the line. We told our waiter you DO NOT tip on tax, he argued that they do it at CafeLaCave. Boy oh boy I was mad! I eat out quite often and I know restaurants don't include tax on tip calculation. We still paid our share of the 18% tip for the food and drinks and walked out. Later found out that the restaurant DID NOT give us the OpenTable 100 points. Yes, it's just 100 points, but it's the principle of all of this. Never going back. Plus the ventilation was bad, smoke from the Chateau Briand, cooked at table-side, filled up the entire dining area, like the place was on fire.
- Outstanding foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/12/2014I have not been to this restaurant in over 20 years. WOW what a surprise it is so much better then I remembered. Have the Steak Diane it is mouth watering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UniqueMidwestmomDined on 9/11/2014Unique and good food. Dining room looks like a cave, literally, they also cook table side and that's entertaining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehKateVIPDined on 9/10/2014Martini was not dirty enough, bread was stale, potatoes were cold, and steak was, well, gross - I've NEVER had a worse bone-ribeye. It was tasteless and chewy. Will not be going here again.
- Reliable Continental CuisinePoeboyDined on 9/9/2014We took a client out for a group dinner here during a recent event in Rosemont. There are many good restaurants in the Rosemont area but we prefer Cafe La Cave because it's never overrun with rowdy groups, they don't squash you into overcrowded dining areas, and the food is always prepared to quality international standards. The Chateaubriand is world class, with your choice of hollandaise or bearnaise sauce. Great desert menu. The wine list is very comprehensive and there are some quality selections at reasonable prices. Of course, they will try to overpower you with great service. That is what I like most about this restaurant; the level of attention they pay their guests.Special Features:
- Something DifferentlovinlocaleatsDined on 9/9/2014It was a unique experience that I can't imagine being replicated anywhere close by. It's a distinctive in decor and the menu is mostly a-la cart. It's very versatile as you can choose everything from the main dish to the sides so it's great for picky eaters or those who want to try something new. The steak au poivre was amazing. It was the juiciest and softest cut I've ever had. The grilled salmon is very tasty as well. It's rather pricey though so be prepared for it to be like a steakhouse, Japanese hibachi or swanky downtown location when it comes to your bill and tipping.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed it, but...BearsFan15Dined on 9/6/2014We really enjoyed our meals, they were delicious. The service was great considering people where there between Garth Brook's concerts. The only thing we did not enjoy was our table. It was just at the entrance of the dining room and we heard way too many conversations of people coming and going. The restaurant has table side cooking, which left many odors in the dining room, it did not bother me until I got home and smelled myself. Not a deal breaker.beSpecial Features:
- Never DisappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/6/2014We headed to Café La Cave for a pre-show dinner. The food was amazing, plus we got to keep our car there for $20 instead of trying to park in the lot (for the same price) with easy access out after we left Allstate. The service was quick, but not rushed and everything we ordered was prepared to our asking. Great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOWWorkingForALivinVIPDined on 9/6/2014We got to see a couple get engaged there too! FOOD IS AWESOME - loved it!Special Features:
- Food Ok; Poor ServiceTooPicky1Dined on 9/5/2014The meal at this restaurant was pretty good, but our server seemed to actively dislike us. He came by rarely, and when he did, he was prettty brusque. Also, they were making some kind of flaming dish at different tables but because the ceilings were low, it made it kind of smoky in there. I wouldn't refuse to go to this restaurant again, but I wouldn't seek it out.
- romantic, elegant, fine diningcrazyloveDined on 9/4/2014Cafe le Cave has been a tradition in our family for over 25 years notable for special ocasions. It is not simply a great place for dinner but more an experience in fine dining, what first class service truly is, a menu that leaves you educated and undecided looking forward to the next time you will return. The wine list is remarkable and the waiters are well-versed in making appropriate suggestion in an unobtrusive way. I dress up when I dine at the Cafe. Whether you choose formal or casual attire or whether you will be comfortable. The menu is unique with a wide variety of to choose from, many prepared table-side! The prices are amazing, the tables widely space to allow intimate conversation: service is outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Way over-priced!JohnVIPDined on 8/30/2014While La Cave does a credible job of presenting an upscale Continental dining experience, they do not really deliver. We selected La Cave for our regular dinner group and we were stunned at the size of the bill. At least twice what would be expected for a similar experience with restaurants of the same caliber in the area, and nothing notable about the presentation, service or food quality. It was good - don't misunderstand - it was just not in sync with the outrageous prices.Special Features:
- BEST OF THE BEST!!!MOJOVIPDined on 8/30/2014AS USUAL OUR DINING EXPERIENCE WAS SUPERB!!!! THE STAFF CANNOT DO ENOUGH FOR YOU TO MAKE IT A PLEASURABLE DINING EXPERIENCE.Special Features:
- Great Value for QualityBobCVIPDined on 8/24/2014I have eaten here many times and food is always excellent! Meals for Chicagoland area are reasonably priced!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe la Cave rocks!NanaDined on 8/16/2014We love the food and service at Cafe La Cave!! We always leave having a good time. With a good experience you would expect to pay mischief more but the price is every reasonable, a neighborhood gem for sure.Special Features:
- surpriseddisappointedDined on 8/16/2014Had to compete with a wedding. Seated in the bar but prices were not bar prices. Way to crowded and noisy.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2014The restaurant is beautiful and the food was good, but the waiter we had was not a good waiter..He Never came to check to see if we needed anything. his tip was how his service was $3, I recommend they get a new waiter who treat customers like he would like to be treated when he's spending his money....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good, but nothing exceptionalrnmintcDined on 8/6/2014After seated and waiting for a while, we had to ask for the menu. The server seemed surprised that we couldnt select our drinks before we decide what to eat... The salad I ordered was with too much dressing - I couldnt taste anything else but the dressing. The ribeye was good, but no seasong at all. The pomegranate martini - not impressive. I dont think I will go back.
- Pleasant evening with good friendsAuntmackiDined on 8/1/2014Good service, good food,good conversation. Been meaning to go here for dinner; just never seemed to get around to it. We were not disappointed. We had a most enjoyable evening. We would go back again - especially for a special occasion like our friend's birthday. Waiters sang to her and brought her a birthday dessert with a candle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dark and overpricedJoyfuldinerDined on 7/31/2014The restaurant may have been great in its heyday but it just looks dark and dingy. The food was nicely prepared. Exception were the crab cakes. Too mealy. With only 2 glasses of wine and dinner for 3 including dessert at $200 one would hope for better ambiance. A couple at the bar, which is in the restaurant itself, seated directly in front of us, in cutoff shorts and a t- shirt is not what we would expect.
- DarknessPeanutsVIPDined on 7/29/2014The service and food is always great. The only thing is when you and other people have to take out flashlights on your phone to see the menu and bill that only means it's a little to dark. I think if they turn the lights a just a little bit it would still be romantic for people.Special Features:
- Poor, rushed serviceLuv2eat2Dined on 7/27/2014Disinterested waiter, asked for our entree order right after bringing our salads. Had to ask twice for water refills.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulRomanticdineDined on 7/26/2014The food was wonderful the setting was perfect the music was great... Everything about this place was perfect and romantic. I have already recommended this place to friends and familySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- aminikaDined on 7/24/2014meni expensive poor win list smalls bad from food and oil :(Special Features:
- Best authentic classy restaurantWorkingForALivinVIPDined on 7/19/2014Classic service, classic cuisine - love it...cant wait until next time we go - get a groupon, get something , get to La CaveSpecial Features:
- AwesomeJthnewyearseveDined on 7/12/2014A throw back to a time when elegance, individual service, table side food preparation, and great food were the norm in fine dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!jmerryDined on 7/12/2014We visited Cafe La Cave using an "open table" gift certificate. The food was very nicely prepared, with great attention to detail. The service was professional and we had a very enjoyable experience. It's a bit pricey--everything is a la carte and we ordered drinks and dessert, so the total bill was close to $120 before tip for 2 people. The gift certificate covered most, but it's not the kind of place we would visit on a regular basis.Special Features:
- Beautiful roomajtshDined on 7/10/2014Smaller size restaurant. Great food. The Dover sole was prepared at the table and was the best I ever had. Cheesecake served in a martini glass with raspberry sauce was out of this world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High ClassPaulDined on 6/27/2014My wife and I always love our dining experiences at Café La Cave. Great food, wine and atmosphere. I highly recommend the Bananas Foster for desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- never disappointing...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/24/2014In spite of the torrential rains that came down on us on the way we were very happy to arrive, relax, have some fine wine, and celebrate a special day for us. We have celebrated that special day several times at Cafe la Cave. The traditional, elegant setting and the fine food harkens us back to the days of our early marriage when dining was tres chic. Always a good meal and memories.Special Features:
- GaryVIPDined on 6/21/2014This restaurant has been around for a lot of years. I haven't been there in a long time. The food and service were still excellent. The servers are very approachable and do an excellent job at presenting the food. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could be so much better!!trentonwayDined on 6/17/2014This is the second time we've been to Cafe La Cave in the last 8 months. We go there because it's halfway between South side friends and ourselves who live on the North Side. The food is great but both times we have had the same waiter who is the opposite of a high-level restaurant which really diminishes the experience. There is no polish to his service and you feel like he's hurrying you through the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Silver skinChefslavik7Dined on 6/17/2014I ordered a 14oz NY with shiitake truffle sauce. The steak had a lot of silver skin and fat, the steak was cooked nicely medium rare. Garlic mash was smooth and buttery. The asparagus was bland and unseasoned. The risotto was salty. The waiter was rude to my mother because she asked for if the wild rice still came with the steak Diane.Special Features:
- Classic restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/14/2014The food, service and atmosphere in the place were fantastic. I'd highly recommend this for a couples night out or for a couples get together.Special Features:
- Millerhm01Dined on 6/5/2014We visited Cafe La Cave in mid-week and had a lovely meal. The bone-in ribeye was delicious and the garlic mashed potatoes was a perfect complement. Very tempting was to order one of the several table side prepared entrees or desserts. Service was impeccable and the ambience was perfect to celebrate our wedding anniversary.Special Features:
- Great Place!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/30/2014My experience at Cafe Le Cave was amazing. I would definitely recommend it to a family or friend. The waiters were also pleasing and prompt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 246 reviews are from the Cafe La Cave reviews archive.
- Kicking It Old SchoolOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/24/2014This place is old school and like no other in Chicagoland. Real silver servingware, staff in tuxes, and simple, classic super high-quality and tasty food! The table side service is so cool. Dessert is a must with tableside-made bananas foster and/or cherries jubilee! Service was world-class and professional from an experienced staff, yet didn't feel stuffy; people were very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As good as everLetsEat15Dined on 5/20/2014Had not visited Cafe La Cave in many years, and was very pleased. Wonderful food was every bit as good as I remembered. They specialize in table side dishes such as steak Diane and Dover sole. Had the Dover sole and oysters. Delightful! Restaurant is an easy trip from any O'Hare area hotel.Special Features: