1070 First Ave.
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cafejoul.com/
- Phone: 2127593131x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 12:00pm - 3:30pm
Casse-Croute (afternoon snack/tea menu) Monday - Friday: 3:30pm -5:30
Dinner: Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:30am - 3:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Bertrand Vernejoul
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Dishes chosen from our menus may be ordered for larger parties for delivery 24 hours in advance.
A word from Cafe Joul
Cafe Joul, a French-American bistro, has been a perpetually popular staple in the Sutton Place neighborhood since the year 2000. A convivial, neighborhood atmosphere combined with the high-quality cuisine of chef-owner Bertrand Vernejoul have created a large devoted following.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cafe Joul reviews from OpenTable diners
47 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (37)great for brunch (17)fit for foodies (11)great for lunch (11)romantic (6)special occasion (6)kid-friendly (3)good for groups (2)late-night find (2)notable wine list (2)Show More
- always a great dinnerjgarchDined on 8/7/2014Café Joul is always a great place for dinner with friends. The service is professional yet relaxed and the menu is varied so everyone can find a great entrée. One of the best burgers in town and they know how to cook fish perfectly.Special Features:
- Neighborhood Gem +foodieinternationalDined on 7/27/2014Went to Sunday Brunch - prix fix. Karri, the server was extremely attentive. Wall hangings create a somewhat frenchie atmosphere. Bread basket generous with 3 different types of offerings. Saved my chocolate croissant for desert with my espresso, good espresso. Eggs done well. Only disappointment was they were out of french sausage! Would return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/26/2014Simply wonderful. We have dinner there often and the staff treats us almost like family. If you haven't tried this restaurant you should.Special Features:
- Sensacion is too much money..OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/22/2014Food was allright, veggie burger, plus grille sole (small piece), plus 2 glasses of wine one entre, and there you go $120 bucks, For this prices in NY I will spend the $120 in whole foods around the corner next time.I would recommend this to a friend.
- good local spotOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/19/2014our friends came in from out of town and we just wanted to go somewhere local for a relaxed evening and a good meal. this fit the bill. nice service, good mussels - (all you can eat on the weekend). we had a lot of fun, the dessert was even good! we will surely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good East Side Simple French!metropeterDined on 7/19/2014Very nice, small and quaint gem of a restaurant on the Upper East Side with very good simple French dishes! standouts were the mussels in any of sauce selections [we tried all of them], the liver was excellent and the apple desert really good! Service was freindly and very polite. Good noise level if you actually want to talk. I would go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious French foodMadameOmeletteDined on 7/18/2014In a restaurant scene increasingly populated by autocratic auteur chefs with weird kitchen equipment, Cafe Joul is a classic, lovely cafe, with varying specials spicing a consistent menu of dishes prized by their regular clientele. Further, the chef is happy to amend or substitue a dish for you. Their wines are wonderful, the bread delicious, i the desserts divine. Family favorites include the moules, the mushroom ravioli I love the roast salmon. All of the soups are wonderful, and every appetizer salad as well. And if you want to eat an omelette and drink a glass of red wine and pretend you are in Paris--go right ahead. I go there for quiet lunches and dinners, and hold every family birthday party there.Special Features:
- wonderful food but...cjmlVIPDined on 7/14/2014Restaurant was way too noisy at 7pm..could not enjoy meal.Special Features:
- BruceDined on 7/14/2014This charming restaurant was the perfect place to celebrate (quietly) Bastille Day, and a friend's birthday. I had the seafood cassoulet, which was enormous and delicious. The staff could not have been more pleasant and helpful - and patient (especially with a friend of a certain age).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable and deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/3/2014Cafe Joul never disappoints. My wife and I brought a party of six in for dinner and everyone ordered something different and everyone was very pleased. Mussels, veggie burger and flourless chocolate cake were the big hits. The veal and tuna specials rivaled any at other more expensive restaurants in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fit for any cravingEyevalueVIPDined on 6/20/2014I brought two guests from out of town knowing that whatever they were in the mood for and however hungry they were Cafe Joul would satisfy. And it did. Two of us had the calves liver, one preferred medium, the other medium rare. The dishes came out just as we wanted. The liver's texture was even and firm, not mushy as it sometimes is served. The mushroom and onions on the side were sauteed to perfection with a sauce that was light and well seasoned...or was that simply the remains of what the vegetables were sauteed in? Doesn't matter. It was good. My other guest enjoyed the lemon sole. Always delighted with Cafe Joul...the food, the service and rustic atmosphere.Special Features:
- sincewhendoineedanicknameVIPDined on 6/15/2014We went to Cafe Joul for Father's Day brunch -- it was lovely, the food was good, and the music was spot on (it's like they created a Pandora station just for him). Not my first time, and I will be back!Special Features:
- Good meal and Great ServiceSecondThoughtsVIPDined on 6/12/2014Relaxed atmosphere in a bar-like setting. High noise level so we were glad to be in an out of the way table. Food was really good all around and service about the best.Special Features:
- Best hamburger in the cityOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/4/2014Restaurant is a touch of Paris I have never had a bad meal there Service is excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sutton Place favoritediner123Dined on 5/30/2014Cafe Joul has never disappointed us - after a year's absence, we had 2 old favorites (Burger Joul and Hangar Steak) and a pork tenderloin special, all perfectly prepared. Highly recommend Cafe Joul for a casual evening with friends or date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jnvaVIPDined on 5/21/2014A cute little neighborhood restaurant, always friendly service and reliable food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/17/2014Not much to offer for a high price! The tuna salad was unremarkable and served wrong. I asked if Parmesan was shave and it turned out to be crumbled. Coffee was an outrageous price. All in all we felt the restaurant had an old tired feel to it.
- Charming slice of ParisBklynite11Dined on 5/14/2014This was a great OpenTable find! Came here with my book group and while the restaurant was full and we were easily able to hear each other. Food was delicious. I loved my heirloom and buratta salad as well as my salmon and kale main course. We shared a delicate flourless chocolate cake and rich, yummy mascarpone cheesecake. All plates went back to the kitchen wiped clean. Prices are very reasonable and our waitress was friendly and very accommodating to our member with dietary restrictions. See you next month!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/13/2014We eat at Joul at least once a week and we always have a wonderful meal. the food is always fresh & flavorful and never ever tastes as if produced in mass quantity...just the opposite. Very individualized. The only disappointment for us is we never see the same wait staff, ever. What's up with that? The music is always just perfect too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service is getting better!FoodhunterVIPDined on 5/4/2014I always like this place in the neighborhood, but now that the service is getting better, the experience there is more pleasant.Special Features:
- A piece of Paris20yearsinloveDined on 5/3/2014Romantic setting, friendly service, and excellent food -- we use Cafe Joul for special occasions. When there, we forget we are in NYC and remember bistros in Paris.Special Features:
- The following 141 reviews are from the Cafe Joul reviews archive.
- Love the food hereUsedtoloveSpigoloVIPDined on 5/1/2014I need to come back and work my way through the menu!! That's how good it is.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French Bistro in Sutton PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/5/2014I took my teenage son to the restaurant to introduce him to French dining in the city. He enjoyed it very much and loved the food. The salad was delicious and so were the choice of entries! I wanted to try at least 3 of them! I had the duck and my son the steak! Sumptuous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a winner. Amazing food,OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/1/2014Always a winner. Amazing food, amazing service. Warm friendly greeting and only gets better. What's good on the menu EVERYTHING!!! Don't miss brunch. The perfect go to place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- warm and friendlyDoreenVIPDined on 3/28/2014Cafe Joul is our favorite local restaurant. The food is very good and we are always made to feel welcome by the very gracious manager, a young woman who sets the tone for the restaurant. Its a true Sutton Place find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a new waitress andOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/22/2014We had a new waitress and she let the steak and duck sit too long, so by the time it got to the table it was *very* well done. They had to remake it. But after that, everything was great!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always came for the greatOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/20/2014Always came for the great brunches. Finally came for diner last week.we thought the brunches were great. Diner is amazing. From the special salad to the most well prepared skate I ever had. Tasted my friends burger (my new place for th best in town) Wonderful selection for the cheese plate as well as great wine selection. They were totally packed and still had perfect service. A must go not only for brunch but a great diner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I had two customers in fromOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/17/2014I had two customers in from out of town, their first and only choice for diner. Casual,relaxed diner with amazing food and of course great service. Wonderful cassoulet, and mushroom ravioli with pencil asparagus.(WOW) The chocolate cake is perfect, and great cheese plate. Nice wine selection. A must go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable excellenceEyevalueVIPDined on 3/16/2014Cafe Joul never disappoints. Whether I'm in the mood for something light or more elaborate I can find it on the menu. On my last visit I had the salmon with kale and quinoa. It was outstanding. When asked how I wanted the salmon prepared, I left it to the chef and it was perfect, medium rare. The bibb lettuce salad is one of my favorites, fresh greens and grape seed dressing. My friend had the onion soup and said it was just the right blend of great soup and heavenly cheese. Her entree was the liver and she thought it was well prepared. And then we succumbed to the apple tart with ice cream. What a way to go! And we'll be back for more of everything.Special Features:
- Is so nice to see a ResturantOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/15/2014Is so nice to see a Resturant that's been around for a while keeps getting better. Warm friendly feeling as soon as you walk in. Great helpful service which goes with the incredible food. Everything on the menus is fantastic. Well priced wines. Yummy deserts and super cheese plate. Never an off day. A must go!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a find. From the momentOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/9/2014What a find. From the moment you walk in your greed by a most friendly hostess. The service so friendly and helpful. Now to the food WOW 4 of us had different dishes, everyone was fabulous. The chocolate cake really ended the meal on a high note. Great wines as well A must goSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodiefoodieVIPDined on 2/21/2014The food here is always consistently good, nice wines and pleasant service for reasonable pricesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely local eateryMidtownDined on 2/16/2014Joule is a great midtown east restaurant. The food is wonderful and the service courteous and friendly. We were not rushed and felt free to spend family time thereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood restaurantMHinNYDined on 2/15/2014This restaurant got good reviews both on OpenTable and other sites, and lived up to its billing. The food was terrific, and my group - five family members getting together for the first time in months - felt very well-taken-care of. The service was smooth and the staff polite and helpful. I also loved the ambiance - small, initimate and cozy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic FrenchbistroseekerDined on 2/15/2014Our first time at Cafe Joul, we chose it for Valentine's Day. The quiet ambiance, delicious food and friendly but professional service all contributed to a lovely dinner. The portions were just right; we had the sea bass (special) and the duck. Both had interesting vegetable combinations. Topping it off was a great mascarpone cheese cake with raspberries. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good .....Housy123VIPDined on 2/8/2014Just not as good as it used to be. Something definitely changed but it is still good. I wouldn't stay away for sure!!!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- quiet eveninggdfdmavineVIPDined on 2/8/2014Café Joul is a pleasant experience from the moment you step inside, not pretentious but just very good cooking French style and the service is not overbearing but relaxed. Overall a nice evening was had by us in a quaint atmosphere. our burgers as well as our sausage salad and pate were delicious.Special Features:
- What a find. Always friendly,OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/7/2014What a find. Always friendly, great food great service in a comfortable atmosphere. I find it amazing how everything on the menu can always be as great as it is. Every special is a winner. I'm waiting for the sweetbreads to come back as a special, which are absolutely the best in the city. Amazing burgers,Mussles. I better stop before I go thru the entire menu. Don't forget the fabulous brunch. A must go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I've been coming as a regularOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/6/2014I've been coming as a regular for a long time and have never been disappointed. Superb food in a warm,relaxed atmosphere. The service is professional and friendly. A perfect resturant in every way. A must go!Special Features:
- Great meal!nycfoodieVIPDined on 2/2/2014We had tried Cafe Joul for brunch before and finally made it for dinner! Both of our dishes were very good, the drinks were nice. Service was also great! Attentive and friendly but not overbearing! Would definitely return. Its great to have this place in the neighborhood!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.