1070 First Ave.
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cafejoul.com/
- Phone: (212) 759-3131
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday- Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:30am - 3:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Bertrand Vernejoul
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Dishes chosen from our menus may be ordered for larger parties for delivery 24 hours in advance.
A word from Cafe Joul
Cafe Joul, a French-American bistro, has been a perpetually popular staple in the Sutton Place neighborhood since the year 2000. A convivial, neighborhood atmosphere combined with the high-quality cuisine of chef-owner Bertrand Vernejoul have created a large devoted following.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cafe Joul reviews from OpenTable diners
47 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (33)great for brunch (17)fit for foodies (12)great for lunch (8)romantic (6)special occasion (3)kid-friendly (2)vibrant bar scene (1)notable wine list (1)good for groups (1)Show More
- A classicFoodieSuttonVIPDined on 11/21/2014Cafe Joul is one of those restaurants everybody wishes they had in their neighborhood. Luckily of me, it's around the corner from my apartment. Although I have been a loyal customer for over 10 years, I hadn't been back in a while. I went Friday night and was instantly reminded why I love this place. Truly delicious well-prepared authentically bistro type cuisine (as good as any great Parisian bistro), friendly and attentive service, great wine list, and a cozy not too noisy room. The bibb lettuce salad is one of my faves...the grape seed oil vinaigrette is beyond. Also had the house made pate (yum!) and the steak frites. All perfect. Happy this is in the 'hood. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect cafe around the cornerLiketoeatVIPDined on 11/13/2014Good food, nice people and good service, enjoyable dinner of French bistro food Needs a better wine listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where was customer service?Divaeating55Dined on 11/6/2014I have thought that the food at Cafe Joule is good but not consistently. The service is often poor. The host or manager has had a depressed or sour expression; and clearly she is leaving for the art world as we overheard. The waitress rushed us and the place was almost empty. The week before last, I went as well; and the food was great but again the staff could hardly wait to get us out at 10 pm. This is NYC ... what was the rush?!Special Features:
- A neighborhood treatEffieVIPDined on 10/30/2014One of the greatest meals is the Fantastic hamburger!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulFoodpersonDined on 10/20/2014Great service, food and ambiance. Fjgiyhj bhffurt jiffy think bcsjiffjj nfdhyryv keffiyeh uh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bistro Bargain Brunch/LunchHarper500VIPDined on 10/12/2014Good value and good food. The bacon is as crisp as you want it. You can taste the blueberries in the blueberry pancakes. Can't complain about a thing.Special Features:
- Wonderful Saturday Morning BrunchbarbonyasDined on 9/27/2014My wife and I went to Joul this Saturday for brunch and the food was wonderful. Her french toast was delicious and near perfection and my huevos rancheros was savory and wonderful. What a great treat. We will be back again soon.Special Features:
- Great Romantic DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/26/2014What a fantastic find for a quiet night out. Cafe Joul provided us just what we needed to kick off a romantic weekend trip to NY. The ambiance was soothing and the food was amazing. The duck dish with Brussel sprouts was the best duck I've ever had. Service was amazing. Katie made our night so perfect and we would go back over and over to continue to explore the menu and hopefully be lucky enough be in her section. Would highly recommend this great dining joul.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reasonably-priced great foodMillerDined on 9/18/2014Our number one choice in the neighborhood time and time again. We enjoyed a delicious dinner of steak-frites, lemon sole, saffron mussels and flourless chocolate cake. Everything was fresh and yummy and reasonably-priced. Wines by the glass are always well-selected. Service is the friendliest in town and never makes us feels rushed. There's a reason they've been around for so long!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great gem!TubbymoonDined on 9/9/2014Really liked this restaurant. It was quiet and the food was pretty good. My dad and I shared a salad and each had our own entrees. I had the veggie burger, which was messy and delicious. Good shoe string fries. Definitely somewhere I would go back to!Special Features:
- Such a disappointing mealAliburgerDined on 9/4/2014They were out of the fish cassoulet which we specifically went there for, out of the liver, second choice. When my mussels arrived they were so small that if I had blinked I would have missed them. At least the steak our friend from abroad had was good. Sadly I don't think we will be returning.
- BrunchEatoutalotVIPDined on 8/31/2014The brunch here was everything you would hope for. The Bloody Mary and Bellini were perfect, the duck confit hash, spectacular and the croque madame was absolutely perfect. Only issue was service was rather inattentive considering the small intimate setting of only about 12 tables in the restaurant. Coffee refills were stingy and had to flag down the server for each. The quality of the food definitely made up for the service.Special Features:
- gdfdmavineVIPDined on 8/30/2014Never disappoints. The sausage casserole and the pate are delicious starters. The mussels as well as the Joul burger are the best. service is always wonderful. There is never a hurried atmosphere. We always enjoy a Saturday evening at Café Joul after a Saturday's days work. Heidi keep up the good work,Special Features:
- Cafe Joul a gemOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/26/2014Great place in interesting neighborhood, great food, great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a great dinnerjgarchDined on 8/7/2014Café Joul is always a great place for dinner with friends. The service is professional yet relaxed and the menu is varied so everyone can find a great entrée. One of the best burgers in town and they know how to cook fish perfectly.Special Features:
- The following 161 reviews are from the Cafe Joul reviews archive.
- Neighborhood Gem +foodieinternationalDined on 7/27/2014Went to Sunday Brunch - prix fix. Karri, the server was extremely attentive. Wall hangings create a somewhat frenchie atmosphere. Bread basket generous with 3 different types of offerings. Saved my chocolate croissant for desert with my espresso, good espresso. Eggs done well. Only disappointment was they were out of french sausage! Would return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/26/2014Simply wonderful. We have dinner there often and the staff treats us almost like family. If you haven't tried this restaurant you should.Special Features:
- Sensacion is too much money..OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/22/2014Food was allright, veggie burger, plus grille sole (small piece), plus 2 glasses of wine one entre, and there you go $120 bucks, For this prices in NY I will spend the $120 in whole foods around the corner next time.I would recommend this to a friend.
- good local spotOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/19/2014our friends came in from out of town and we just wanted to go somewhere local for a relaxed evening and a good meal. this fit the bill. nice service, good mussels - (all you can eat on the weekend). we had a lot of fun, the dessert was even good! we will surely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good East Side Simple French!metropeterDined on 7/19/2014Very nice, small and quaint gem of a restaurant on the Upper East Side with very good simple French dishes! standouts were the mussels in any of sauce selections [we tried all of them], the liver was excellent and the apple desert really good! Service was freindly and very polite. Good noise level if you actually want to talk. I would go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious French foodMadameOmeletteDined on 7/18/2014In a restaurant scene increasingly populated by autocratic auteur chefs with weird kitchen equipment, Cafe Joul is a classic, lovely cafe, with varying specials spicing a consistent menu of dishes prized by their regular clientele. Further, the chef is happy to amend or substitue a dish for you. Their wines are wonderful, the bread delicious, i the desserts divine. Family favorites include the moules, the mushroom ravioli I love the roast salmon. All of the soups are wonderful, and every appetizer salad as well. And if you want to eat an omelette and drink a glass of red wine and pretend you are in Paris--go right ahead. I go there for quiet lunches and dinners, and hold every family birthday party there.Special Features:
- wonderful food but...cjmlVIPDined on 7/14/2014Restaurant was way too noisy at 7pm..could not enjoy meal.Special Features:
- BruceDined on 7/14/2014This charming restaurant was the perfect place to celebrate (quietly) Bastille Day, and a friend's birthday. I had the seafood cassoulet, which was enormous and delicious. The staff could not have been more pleasant and helpful - and patient (especially with a friend of a certain age).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable and deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/3/2014Cafe Joul never disappoints. My wife and I brought a party of six in for dinner and everyone ordered something different and everyone was very pleased. Mussels, veggie burger and flourless chocolate cake were the big hits. The veal and tuna specials rivaled any at other more expensive restaurants in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fit for any cravingEyevalueVIPDined on 6/20/2014I brought two guests from out of town knowing that whatever they were in the mood for and however hungry they were Cafe Joul would satisfy. And it did. Two of us had the calves liver, one preferred medium, the other medium rare. The dishes came out just as we wanted. The liver's texture was even and firm, not mushy as it sometimes is served. The mushroom and onions on the side were sauteed to perfection with a sauce that was light and well seasoned...or was that simply the remains of what the vegetables were sauteed in? Doesn't matter. It was good. My other guest enjoyed the lemon sole. Always delighted with Cafe Joul...the food, the service and rustic atmosphere.Special Features:
- sincewhendoineedanicknameVIPDined on 6/15/2014We went to Cafe Joul for Father's Day brunch -- it was lovely, the food was good, and the music was spot on (it's like they created a Pandora station just for him). Not my first time, and I will be back!Special Features:
- Good meal and Great ServiceSecondThoughtsVIPDined on 6/12/2014Relaxed atmosphere in a bar-like setting. High noise level so we were glad to be in an out of the way table. Food was really good all around and service about the best.Special Features:
- Best hamburger in the cityOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/4/2014Restaurant is a touch of Paris I have never had a bad meal there Service is excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sutton Place favoritediner123Dined on 5/30/2014Cafe Joul has never disappointed us - after a year's absence, we had 2 old favorites (Burger Joul and Hangar Steak) and a pork tenderloin special, all perfectly prepared. Highly recommend Cafe Joul for a casual evening with friends or date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jnvaVIPDined on 5/21/2014A cute little neighborhood restaurant, always friendly service and reliable food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/17/2014Not much to offer for a high price! The tuna salad was unremarkable and served wrong. I asked if Parmesan was shave and it turned out to be crumbled. Coffee was an outrageous price. All in all we felt the restaurant had an old tired feel to it.
- Charming slice of ParisBklynite11Dined on 5/14/2014This was a great OpenTable find! Came here with my book group and while the restaurant was full and we were easily able to hear each other. Food was delicious. I loved my heirloom and buratta salad as well as my salmon and kale main course. We shared a delicate flourless chocolate cake and rich, yummy mascarpone cheesecake. All plates went back to the kitchen wiped clean. Prices are very reasonable and our waitress was friendly and very accommodating to our member with dietary restrictions. See you next month!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/13/2014We eat at Joul at least once a week and we always have a wonderful meal. the food is always fresh & flavorful and never ever tastes as if produced in mass quantity...just the opposite. Very individualized. The only disappointment for us is we never see the same wait staff, ever. What's up with that? The music is always just perfect too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service is getting better!FoodhunterVIPDined on 5/4/2014I always like this place in the neighborhood, but now that the service is getting better, the experience there is more pleasant.Special Features:
- A piece of Paris20yearsinloveDined on 5/3/2014Romantic setting, friendly service, and excellent food -- we use Cafe Joul for special occasions. When there, we forget we are in NYC and remember bistros in Paris.Special Features:
- Love the food hereUsedtoloveSpigoloVIPDined on 5/1/2014I need to come back and work my way through the menu!! That's how good it is.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French Bistro in Sutton PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/5/2014I took my teenage son to the restaurant to introduce him to French dining in the city. He enjoyed it very much and loved the food. The salad was delicious and so were the choice of entries! I wanted to try at least 3 of them! I had the duck and my son the steak! Sumptuous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a winner. Amazing food,OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/1/2014Always a winner. Amazing food, amazing service. Warm friendly greeting and only gets better. What's good on the menu EVERYTHING!!! Don't miss brunch. The perfect go to place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- warm and friendlyDoreenVIPDined on 3/28/2014Cafe Joul is our favorite local restaurant. The food is very good and we are always made to feel welcome by the very gracious manager, a young woman who sets the tone for the restaurant. Its a true Sutton Place find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a new waitress andabcdVIPDined on 3/22/2014We had a new waitress and she let the steak and duck sit too long, so by the time it got to the table it was *very* well done. They had to remake it. But after that, everything was great!I would recommend this to a friend.