1200 B West 6th
Austin, TX 78703Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cafejosie.com/
- Phone: 5123229226
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00 - 3:00pm
Happy Hour: 3:00 - 6:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00 - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday Happy Hour: 3:00 - 6pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Global, International
- Executive Chef: Brandon Fuller
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Wine Me Dine Me Dinner's that take place on the first Tuesday of every month. Join our email list for information and invitations at email@example.com.
- Cross Street: Blanco
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Cafe Josie is a part of "Pecan Square", so anywhere there are signs that designate Pecan Square is ok to park. More specifically, there is a parking lot at the corner of 6th and Blanco in front of Clarks's and next to The Wally Workman Gallery that is part of our parking. Also, if you take a right on Blanco Street and then a left in the first alley, you will find a parking lot behind Cafe Josie. If both of these spots are full then we recommend parking along Blanco Street.
A word from Cafe Josie
Established in 1997, Cafe Josie strives to provide our guests with a memorable dining experience. We focus on using locally sourced ingredients to create innovative and playful dishes in a warm and relaxing atmosphere.The cafe is located in an old carriage house that was restored in the '60s into a restaurant space featuring antique doors and original brick floors.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Cafe Josie - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Cafe Josie reviews from OpenTable diners
64 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (47)fit for foodies (42)romantic (37)special occasion (33)notable wine list (19)good for groups (15)great for outdoor dining (12)great for lunch (9)great for brunch (3)hot spot (3)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Made It to the Top of the List!LedbellyDined on 10/22/2014My goodness...I've been wanting to visit Cafe Josie for quite some time and SO glad I finally made it happen. Everything from the ambiance to the wine list to the service to the food was just amazing. Full disclosure: My top favorite restaurants in Austin are Chez Nous, Barley Swine, Lamberts, Jacoby's and now Cafe Josie! I actually might consider Cafe Josie my favorite of the year! I mean the food was that spectacular and hopefully, anyone who visits will experience the same thing. Thank you for such a great restaurant!Special Features:
- Quiet MondaynativeofNODined on 10/20/2014Monday dining options are sometimes hard to find. Maybe no one knows that Cafe Josie is open. We had a delicious dinner with a nice wine served by a friendly and helpful staff.Special Features:
- An excellent eveningbknd63Dined on 10/17/2014We very much enjoyed the food, the service, and the atmosphere, as did our out-of-town guests. This is the fourth time (I think) we've been to Café Josie, and it has never disappointed.Special Features:
- Third AnniversaryNateFossDined on 10/17/2014My girlfriend and I came to visit our third anniversary here, and we were taken care of right from the start. Incredible experience from top to bottom. Great wine, and the waiter was very knowledgeable and professional. I would recommend Cafe Josie to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful date nightAustinfoodieVIPDined on 10/9/2014Went here for the 1st time last week. We started with the grilled octopus and it was one of my faves, this can be easily messed up by restaurants, but it was tender and delicious, I could have eaten a meal of just that. On reading reviews I had heard about the fried brussel sprouts, they were so yummy and they give you a ton of them! We tried finishing them throughout the meal, because they were so tasty. We also got the red fish, it was perfect. The sauce and veggies that came with it complimented the fish very well. It is not a huge portion of fish which was fine because I like smaller portions. We sat outside and it was beautiful under the trees. We will definitely be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe JosieGoo59Dined on 10/4/2014We go to Cafe Josie at least once every two weeks. Food is always excellent. Service is always great. No mixed drinks. A very good wine list by the bottle. The wine list by the glass changes is often, so it can be hit or miss on things you might like. But, ask your server for a pairing suggestion; they've been spot on for me. Unlike many of Austin's restaurants, you can have a conversation at Cafe Josie!!!Special Features:
- One of the bestLinaDined on 9/27/2014My current favorite! The goat ribs are divine. Wines I can't find anywhere else. The Brussels sprouts are fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth Trying AgainMichaelDined on 9/19/2014We ate there many years ago and were not too impressed and then it came under new ownership a couple of years ago as we understand it, and the food and preparation are remarkably good. We are vegans and vegetarian and will keep going back again. The farm to table quality of the vegetables and the preparation were exceptional.Special Features:
- Great experiencefirsttry22Dined on 9/19/2014We had a great experience! The brussel sprouts were amazing and our waitress was very nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A hidden gemMarkinlagovistaVIPDined on 9/19/2014It's an easy place to miss tucked behind Clark's Oyster Bar.....but well worth the effort to seek it out We find it an ideal place to eat before heading to the Zach Theatre.......easy to get to and easy to park and usually not crowded that early. Happy hour consists of half price bottles of wine and the small but varied wine selection has some unique bottles to choose from. Our well informed waitress made some suggestions which worked out nicely. She was also very knowledgeable about the menu and was helpful in accommodating dietary restrictions. This menu was fresh and appears to change frequently. There are about 15 items plus some specials. Entrees ranged from about $18-25. Good quality with lots of creativitiySpecial Features:
- Overpriced and so-so foodSpinfrenzyVIPDined on 9/17/2014What a let-down. I ordered the redfish ($25) and received about a 3 oz. portion. Seriously. My hubby got the sliders (very good). We ordered the white bean purée (bland) and beet salad (so-so) to share. With a few drinks the bill was over $100. Not worth it at all.
- delicious, creative mealenjoygoodfoodDined on 9/13/2014Our meal was beautifully presented. The flavors were delicious. The service was very good, the atmosphere was pleasant. Our only complaint was that the portions were very small.Special Features:
- Reliably wonderfulOperaticDined on 9/11/2014Cafe Josie is one of my favorite places to eat. Free parking. Warm welcome. Tasty food. Attentive service. I just keep coming back.Special Features:
- Always a hitjr78745Dined on 8/30/2014My wife and I have been here numerous times and we have never been let down. The service and selection have always been impeccable. A definite MUST-DO!Special Features:
- Excellent local findOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/29/2014Cool spot on the west end of 6th street. We had the white bean dip Brussels sprouts, pork loin, and ruby trout. All were delicious and the service was excellent. The wine list includes some fantastic local wines and the sommelier was very helpful in directing us to new wines that we loved.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SublimeOperaticDined on 8/14/2014One of the best meals I have ever eaten. Fun menu. Creative specials. Pickles in shot glasses. White linen tablecloths. Exquisite desserts. What luxury! Good for special diets. Is there any way to award Cafe Josie 6 stars?Special Features:
- Great findNdi60VIPDined on 8/12/2014Been coming to Austin for 6 years and I only recently found this place. It is great all around although a bit off center.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe Josie keeps getting better1westsidegourmetVIPDined on 8/12/2014Cafe Josie has been in business a long time but its menu has been evolving. It has a vaguely Caribbean theme but it has moved away from such firey dishes as jerk chicken. My wife and I had a delicious meal there. We had the grilled octopus for an appetizer. The octopus had a chorizo gastrique and a tomato aioli sauce. Just a bit peppery but not too much. For a main course I had the redfish and my wife had quail with polenta. The redfish was served on a bed of chopped vegetables. We were extremely pleased to find such an interesting and tasty meal here. The main courses cost about $20 apiece so the bill was very reasonable. I would highly recommend this restaurant. If you have not eaten here lately you should give it a try.Special Features:
- Waldy PrzybyslawskiorbitaljDined on 8/9/2014Was looking forward to this one for awhile. Made last minute reservations for 8:30. The host was missing form his podium. Someone came after about 30 seconds and sat us in a corner - the whole exchange was a little awkward. The place was packed and the corner seemed to catch every conversation. My partner and I couldn't hear ourselves talk, much less the wait staff. The wine list was great and we were very pleased with the knowledge waiter. The food was tasty but there wasn't anything stand out that would make me crave returning. Overall, I'd give it another shot but only a hopefully slower weeknight where the noise level is lower.Special Features:
- After the show...VictoriaLadiesDined on 8/9/2014We enjoyed dining at Cafe Josie after attending the gallery opening right next door. It was convenient and the food was good as always. Perfect evening.Special Features:
- This place was a great find.bryang949Dined on 8/9/2014I was looking for a place to eat at 3pm and just went to open table and found this place. It was awesome. Tucked away off west sixth with parking. It was great. Differently going backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WeLoveCafeJosieDined on 8/8/2014We've been going to Cafe Josie for almost 6 years now, and have never been disappointed. We look forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service Could ImproveeatoutforfunDined on 8/8/2014We were not happy with the service. There was a fly that kept buzzing our food and table and when we brought to the waiter's attention, he just made a joke about it instead of offering to kill it. Asked for salad without Proscuitto, they said they would but bought out Proscuitto on the salad. When we asked for another salad, they said they just remove it though I insisted a fresh new salad without Proscuitto remnants on it. The Redfish tasted fishy and not very fresh.Special Features:
- Food was good. Waiter was bad.AnnaDined on 8/7/2014Not attentive. Never served the wine. Had to ask to remove dirty plates. Limited wine list with few under $50. Expected more.
- it was good, not great.lifeisgoodDined on 8/7/2014The service was slow, I asked for bread and she forgot to bring it. There was a loud group nearby, made it very hard to have a conversation at our table. Food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was decentGerardDined on 8/4/2014Food and service are very good. On the downside, the room at the bar is limited to about 4 persons and they only serve beer and wine. The atmosphere in the restaurant seemed quiet, which may appeal to some diners, but not others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!atlsuzVIPDined on 8/2/2014This was our first dinner visit to Cafe Josie. After being seated we asked our waiter for a wine recommendation. He said he would be glad to as he was also the wine buyer. His suggestion was delicious, chilled perfectly and very reasonably priced. My cold curried squash soup was so good and perfect for the warm evening. My husband had eggplant camponata over coconut quinoa and I had a delicious redfish with a chipotle sauce and summer vegetables. We shared a ginger creme brûlée with poached blackberries. A perfect dessert. We will always return to Cafe Josie when our travels bring us back to Austin. It is comfortable, classy, friendly and delicious. Austin at its best.Special Features:
- SammieDined on 7/29/2014The Caponata was good in its own right but a bit disappointing since it really wasn't a true Caponata. It was a nice dish but I couldn't call it Caponata, which is a Sicilian dish of Arabic origin made of cubed eggplants, tomatoes, olives, capers. It's a very Mediterranean dish. Josie's was not this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 10yr Wedding Anniversary OverlookedLoveagreatmealDined on 7/26/2014My wife and I came to Cafe Josie's for our 10-yr wedding anniversary because we love the food and wine. We started with the cheese plate and thought that the sauces were paired perfectly for the selection of cheese. For our main course, the sirloin was cooked perfectly and the grilled quail had a great taste. The creme brulee and chocolate mousse were a nice, light ending to our meal. Overall, the meal was okay but not as great as previous visits. Our waiter was very nice and put us on their special events email list since we love the tastings events. We were disappointed that none of the staff congratulated us on our wedding anniversary even though we listed it in our reservation. Hopefully they pay more attention in the future.Special Features:
- Home Runs and Strike OutsSocratesVIPDined on 7/22/2014We went with a group of 12. People who got the octopus, trout, snapper and brussel sprouts thought they were phenomenal. Unfortunately, people who got the red fish ranged from dislike of the dish to considering it inedible. Fortunately, I asked the waiter which fish dish he would recommend and he did not recommend the red fish. The restaurant should consider taking it off of the menu. Also, the creme foie dessert was bizarre and left an unpleasant taste in the mouth. Not a great way to end a meal. The service was excellent, the wines terrific and several of the dishes were superlative. If you go, make sure you that you ask the excellent wait staff which dishes to pick and which to stay away from.Special Features:
- absolutely love this place!dineaustexVIPDined on 7/19/2014We tried café josie a few months back after a long hiatus and were pleasantly surprised. Its a different restauraunt than the café josie we once knew and has quickly become a favorite. We've been back now a few more times and plan on keeping it in the rotation - a clarksville gem!Special Features:
- MargaretOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014Excellent food and service, very quiet. We liked the fact we could bring our own wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and servicePerlafeastVIPDined on 7/12/2014The food is wonderful--Egg Plant Caponata! Just delicious.Special Features:
- Really enjoyed the eveningluvgoodfishDined on 7/11/2014Menu was a little limited, and the wine a little pricey by the glass, but our order was excellent. The food, service and ambiance made the evening a special one with my wife of 26 years. I would most definitely recommend Cafe Josie to my friends. My compliments to the chef! Excellent night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantasticFirstDateWinnerDined on 7/7/2014Cody and the staff are so amazing and the food was that as well. Great for a special occassionSpecial Features:
- Cafe' JosieOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/30/2014Cafe' Josie is one of our most favorite neighborhood places. We live a mere 3 blocks away.Special Features:
- fabulousluvwatermelonDined on 6/28/2014watermelon salad to die for...excellent service....engaging staff...great placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 237 reviews are from the Cafe Josie reviews archive.
- Fantastico!!!DiTexDined on 6/26/2014The food is excellent, great presentation and service. Everything I ordered was top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They've Got Your GoatRickVIPDined on 6/21/2014Don't miss it, either. A rare treat. The rest of the dinner was OK. Portions small and prices high, but go elsewhere for happy hour and come hear to graze on goat.
- Great placeeatsDined on 6/13/2014We have been to Café Josie's many times...and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.