1200 B West 6th
Austin, TX 78703Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cafejosie.com/
- Phone: 5123229226
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00 - 3:00pm
Happy Hour: 3:00 - 6:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00 - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday Happy Hour: 3:00 - 6pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Global, International
- Executive Chef: Brandon Fuller
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Wine Me Dine Me Dinner's that take place on the first Tuesday of every month. Join our email list for information and invitations at email@example.com.
- Cross Street: Blanco
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Cafe Josie is a part of "Pecan Square", so anywhere there are signs that designate Pecan Square is ok to park. More specifically, there is a parking lot at the corner of 6th and Blanco in front of Clarks's and next to The Wally Workman Gallery that is part of our parking. Also, if you take a right on Blanco Street and then a left in the first alley, you will find a parking lot behind Cafe Josie. If both of these spots are full then we recommend parking along Blanco Street.
A word from Cafe Josie
Established in 1997, Cafe Josie strives to provide our guests with a memorable dining experience. We focus on using locally sourced ingredients to create innovative and playful dishes in a warm and relaxing atmosphere.The cafe is located in an old carriage house that was restored in the '60s into a restaurant space featuring antique doors and original brick floors.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Cafe Josie - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Cafe Josie reviews from OpenTable diners
67 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (50)fit for foodies (44)romantic (42)special occasion (38)notable wine list (16)great for lunch (14)good for groups (12)great for outdoor dining (10)great for brunch (8)late-night find (3)hot spot (2)Show More
- Always a hitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014My wife and I have been here numerous times and we have never been let down. The service and selection have always been impeccable. A definite MUST-DO!Special Features:
- Excellent local findOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/29/2014Cool spot on the west end of 6th street. We had the white bean dip Brussels sprouts, pork loin, and ruby trout. All were delicious and the service was excellent. The wine list includes some fantastic local wines and the sommelier was very helpful in directing us to new wines that we loved.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SublimeOperaticDined on 8/14/2014One of the best meals I have ever eaten. Fun menu. Creative specials. Pickles in shot glasses. White linen tablecloths. Exquisite desserts. What luxury! Good for special diets. Is there any way to award Cafe Josie 6 stars?Special Features:
- Great findNdi60VIPDined on 8/12/2014Been coming to Austin for 6 years and I only recently found this place. It is great all around although a bit off center.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe Josie keeps getting better1westsidegourmetVIPDined on 8/12/2014Cafe Josie has been in business a long time but its menu has been evolving. It has a vaguely Caribbean theme but it has moved away from such firey dishes as jerk chicken. My wife and I had a delicious meal there. We had the grilled octopus for an appetizer. The octopus had a chorizo gastrique and a tomato aioli sauce. Just a bit peppery but not too much. For a main course I had the redfish and my wife had quail with polenta. The redfish was served on a bed of chopped vegetables. We were extremely pleased to find such an interesting and tasty meal here. The main courses cost about $20 apiece so the bill was very reasonable. I would highly recommend this restaurant. If you have not eaten here lately you should give it a try.Special Features:
- Waldy PrzybyslawskiorbitaljDined on 8/9/2014Was looking forward to this one for awhile. Made last minute reservations for 8:30. The host was missing form his podium. Someone came after about 30 seconds and sat us in a corner - the whole exchange was a little awkward. The place was packed and the corner seemed to catch every conversation. My partner and I couldn't hear ourselves talk, much less the wait staff. The wine list was great and we were very pleased with the knowledge waiter. The food was tasty but there wasn't anything stand out that would make me crave returning. Overall, I'd give it another shot but only a hopefully slower weeknight where the noise level is lower.Special Features:
- After the show...VictoriaLadiesDined on 8/9/2014We enjoyed dining at Cafe Josie after attending the gallery opening right next door. It was convenient and the food was good as always. Perfect evening.Special Features:
- This place was a great find.bryang949Dined on 8/9/2014I was looking for a place to eat at 3pm and just went to open table and found this place. It was awesome. Tucked away off west sixth with parking. It was great. Differently going backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WeLoveCafeJosieDined on 8/8/2014We've been going to Cafe Josie for almost 6 years now, and have never been disappointed. We look forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service Could ImproveeatoutforfunDined on 8/8/2014We were not happy with the service. There was a fly that kept buzzing our food and table and when we brought to the waiter's attention, he just made a joke about it instead of offering to kill it. Asked for salad without Proscuitto, they said they would but bought out Proscuitto on the salad. When we asked for another salad, they said they just remove it though I insisted a fresh new salad without Proscuitto remnants on it. The Redfish tasted fishy and not very fresh.Special Features:
- Food was good. Waiter was bad.AnnaDined on 8/7/2014Not attentive. Never served the wine. Had to ask to remove dirty plates. Limited wine list with few under $50. Expected more.
- it was good, not great.lifeisgoodDined on 8/7/2014The service was slow, I asked for bread and she forgot to bring it. There was a loud group nearby, made it very hard to have a conversation at our table. Food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was decentGerardDined on 8/4/2014Food and service are very good. On the downside, the room at the bar is limited to about 4 persons and they only serve beer and wine. The atmosphere in the restaurant seemed quiet, which may appeal to some diners, but not others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!atlsuzVIPDined on 8/2/2014This was our first dinner visit to Cafe Josie. After being seated we asked our waiter for a wine recommendation. He said he would be glad to as he was also the wine buyer. His suggestion was delicious, chilled perfectly and very reasonably priced. My cold curried squash soup was so good and perfect for the warm evening. My husband had eggplant camponata over coconut quinoa and I had a delicious redfish with a chipotle sauce and summer vegetables. We shared a ginger creme brûlée with poached blackberries. A perfect dessert. We will always return to Cafe Josie when our travels bring us back to Austin. It is comfortable, classy, friendly and delicious. Austin at its best.Special Features:
- SammieDined on 7/29/2014The Caponata was good in its own right but a bit disappointing since it really wasn't a true Caponata. It was a nice dish but I couldn't call it Caponata, which is a Sicilian dish of Arabic origin made of cubed eggplants, tomatoes, olives, capers. It's a very Mediterranean dish. Josie's was not this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 10yr Wedding Anniversary OverlookedLoveagreatmealDined on 7/26/2014My wife and I came to Cafe Josie's for our 10-yr wedding anniversary because we love the food and wine. We started with the cheese plate and thought that the sauces were paired perfectly for the selection of cheese. For our main course, the sirloin was cooked perfectly and the grilled quail had a great taste. The creme brulee and chocolate mousse were a nice, light ending to our meal. Overall, the meal was okay but not as great as previous visits. Our waiter was very nice and put us on their special events email list since we love the tastings events. We were disappointed that none of the staff congratulated us on our wedding anniversary even though we listed it in our reservation. Hopefully they pay more attention in the future.Special Features:
- Home Runs and Strike OutsSocratesVIPDined on 7/22/2014We went with a group of 12. People who got the octopus, trout, snapper and brussel sprouts thought they were phenomenal. Unfortunately, people who got the red fish ranged from dislike of the dish to considering it inedible. Fortunately, I asked the waiter which fish dish he would recommend and he did not recommend the red fish. The restaurant should consider taking it off of the menu. Also, the creme foie dessert was bizarre and left an unpleasant taste in the mouth. Not a great way to end a meal. The service was excellent, the wines terrific and several of the dishes were superlative. If you go, make sure you that you ask the excellent wait staff which dishes to pick and which to stay away from.Special Features:
- absolutely love this place!dineaustexVIPDined on 7/19/2014We tried café josie a few months back after a long hiatus and were pleasantly surprised. Its a different restauraunt than the café josie we once knew and has quickly become a favorite. We've been back now a few more times and plan on keeping it in the rotation - a clarksville gem!Special Features:
- MargaretOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014Excellent food and service, very quiet. We liked the fact we could bring our own wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and servicePerlafeastVIPDined on 7/12/2014The food is wonderful--Egg Plant Caponata! Just delicious.Special Features:
- Really enjoyed the eveningluvgoodfishDined on 7/11/2014Menu was a little limited, and the wine a little pricey by the glass, but our order was excellent. The food, service and ambiance made the evening a special one with my wife of 26 years. I would most definitely recommend Cafe Josie to my friends. My compliments to the chef! Excellent night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantasticFirstDateWinnerDined on 7/7/2014Cody and the staff are so amazing and the food was that as well. Great for a special occassionSpecial Features:
- Cafe' JosieOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/30/2014Cafe' Josie is one of our most favorite neighborhood places. We live a mere 3 blocks away.Special Features:
- fabulousluvwatermelonDined on 6/28/2014watermelon salad to die for...excellent service....engaging staff...great placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastico!!!DiTexDined on 6/26/2014The food is excellent, great presentation and service. Everything I ordered was top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They've Got Your GoatRickVIPDined on 6/21/2014Don't miss it, either. A rare treat. The rest of the dinner was OK. Portions small and prices high, but go elsewhere for happy hour and come hear to graze on goat.
- Great placeeatsDined on 6/13/2014We have been to Café Josie's many times...and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great menu, well executedKayGRVIPDined on 6/12/2014First time at Café Josie. Attentive service, excellent choices and menu, very well prepared. Duck was substantial and perfectly cooked, as was the specialty swordfish. And the pickles on the appetizer menu are both unusual and a bit whimsical. Love them!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/9/2014We found the food was excellent and left full and satisfied. The service was superb, but it was a very slow night and the waiter had lots of time to attend to us and others. He did a wonderful job checking on us and pampering us with service and good advice. A very enjoyable evening!Special Features:
- Wonderful!MargieDDined on 6/7/2014Went here for our wedding anniversary. Our server, Nathan, was a delight. Food was well prepapred and flavorful. A special evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoveJennelliDined on 6/6/2014This restaurant never disappoints. The foods is fresh, local and amazing. Love this place!Special Features:
- Stunning food in a great locationOperaticDined on 5/29/2014Free, shady parking at lunch. Adventurous menu. Food prepared really well. Unexpected combinations of flavors. I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe Josie - Austin, TexasOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/24/2014Service was excellent! Had Quail - small portion, but tasted very good. Wine - 1/2 bottle $40 …very expensive. My wife loved everything about it. Acoustics not good…was very loud….Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful evening at Cafe JosieBeckyBVIPDined on 5/17/2014I had been wanting to try Cafe Josie since they changed their menu several months ago, and I was not disappointed. The food was wonderful and we thoroughly enjoyed the evening. There were four of us and we each had a different entree - three fish dishes and the vegetarian choice. All were excellent. The Brussels sprouts as an appetizer is amazing. My only complaint - and it's a minor one - is that we were seated at a picnic table outdoors. The surroundings were lovely and the weather very pleasant, but not having a chair to lean back on during a 2+ hour meal was a little tiring. I will definitely go back but will opt for indoor seating or one of the non-picnic tables outside. Overall, a wonderful experience.Special Features:
- Great experience all aroundNoRoom4DessertDined on 5/16/2014The food was amazing, the staff was friendly and knowledgeable on every menu item, great ambiance for our anniversary dinner. Looking forward to returning very soon!Special Features:
- dinner at Cafe Josiebknd63Dined on 5/10/2014Wife and I took 2 friends for a special "thank-you" dinner. All thought the two "small plates" -- brussels sprouts and rabbit confit-- were a touch above the "large plates" -- three of us had the curry goat ribs, one the quail. All were tasty and reasonably priced for Austin. The wine was excellent but the list is a bit pricey (very little below $40 per bottle). The service was excellent and the overall experience quite favorable. This was our second visit, and we will no doubt go again.Special Features:
- Great ServiceHopingDined on 5/8/2014The first thing that we noticed and that stuck with us throughout the meal is the excellent service. Roger, our server, was superb. While the food was good, it was a bit overpriced. And parking at lunch can be a bit of a challenge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 224 reviews are from the Cafe Josie reviews archive.
- Quiet spot; good foodeasyDined on 5/3/2014Café Josie has a good location and nice design which provides a comfortable dining experience. The service was outstanding, with our server making good recommendations on wine and food. The only downside was the quality of the fried oyster appetizer; maybe it's just too late in the season.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local flavorTXBBCVIPDined on 5/2/2014We had a wonderful evening dining outside on the patio. Cafe Josie serves gourmet quality food and well priced wines by the bottle or glass as well as offering a choice of more than a dozen beers to compliment the dinner. Service was attentive and pleasant. Try the small plates - the crispy oysters are lightly breaded and perfectly prepared, the duck confit is a large portion of moist shredded duck nicely seasoned and served with freshly baked & toasted bread and the fried Brussel Sprouts are the incredible. We both enjoyed the red snapper entree and followed it with the house prepared chocolate mousse for dessert. Highly recommended for an enjoyable evening out in AustinSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Dinner ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/26/2014The food was creative & delicious. The chef paired ingredients together that were incredibly unique & delicious. The cherry/rum soaked Brussels sprouts were amazing, as was the beet salad, & the striped sea bass special of the evening we also had the special soup of the day which was served cold and was very wonderful for a hot day. 10 out of 10 on these items. The almond torte dessert served with tarragon ice cream and a carrot purée was out of this world. 10 out 10. Fried oyster appetizer was average nothing really special or unique but good. Our server Roger was so knowledgeable and passionate about the menu it was really a welcome change. My experience when I travel for work is one of below average restaurants. Wonderful and amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.