8960 University Center Lane
San Diego, CA 92122Neighborhood:
La Jolla / Golden Triangle
AsianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafejapengo.com/
- Phone: 8584503355x
- Hours of Operation:
Hours of Operation: Lunch:
Monday through Friday 11 am to 2 pm
Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm-9:30pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm-10:30pm
Monday though Friday: 4:30pm-7:00 pm
Saturday: 4:30 pm-CL
Sushi Hour at the Sushi bar
Monday through Saturday: 4:30pm-5:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Asian
- Executive Chef: Jerry Warner
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: catering available up to 40 people, selection of Pacific Rim cuisine and Sushi, drop off in the La Jolla area or pick up available
- Private Party Facilities: Up to 50 guests .
- Private Party Contact: Jamie Kelly-Bee 8584503355x
- Special Events: Book your special event, holiday party or business lunch or dinner.
Family style and prix fixe menus available. Sushi classes scheduled monthly. For inquires email: Jamie.Kelly-Bee@hyatt.com
A word from Cafe Japengo
Located at the Golden Triangle, Café Japengo is renowned for both fabulous Sushi and incredible fusion creations that combine Japanese and Western flavors. The energetic atmosphere and the trendy clientele make it make it a 'must' when visiting San Diego. Gluten free menu available.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Cafe Japengo - Best Restaurants in La Jolla / Golden Triangle ›
Cafe Japengo reviews from OpenTable diners
89 reviews since April 2 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (43)special occasion (39)great for lunch (32)good for groups (29)neighborhood gem (24)romantic (15)hot spot (14)vibrant bar scene (13)great for outdoor dining (7)great for brunch (5)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (4)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Good sushi!Barney415Dined on 7/23/2014Great food. Light and healthy! Had a business meeting and they food allowed us to talk and share a meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasure dining at JapengoMamaVIPDined on 7/21/2014One of our favorite restaurants in La Jolla. Always great service. On this most recent visit I found the food to be much too salty. We ordered Vietnamese pork dish. Best to stick with seafood which is always outstanding. Service, as always, was top notchI would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyableScottyVIPDined on 7/19/2014We dine here every 3 months or so - don't know why we don't do it more often! The food was great, the service was excellent.Special Features:
- Okay spot for a bite in UTC area.fooderizDined on 7/18/2014Pretty standard place. Okay sushi and the rest the menus decent. Not mind blowing and perhaps the other restaurants by the Hyatt are a little bit better.
- Good sushi barStevoskiDined on 7/18/2014Not my fave sushi bar but very good none the less. The food and fish were fresh and quite well prepared and presented. The service was attentive but not overbearing. All in all a good place to go for sushi and sashimi when in the mood.Special Features:
- consistently delicioussecondtimetesterDined on 7/17/2014There are very few restaurants that we enjoy the second, third etc. time. Japengo is just delicious every time. The service is perfect, the ambience is fun and the prices are reachable. They also are very obliging to diet restrictions. Highly recommended. We parked in the self-parking lot and they were ample places and they validated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible SushiWe2travelabitVIPDined on 7/14/2014This is by far the best Sushi in San Diego. The fish is fresh and flavorful.Special Features:
- Palate pleaser for everyoneMamaVIPDined on 7/9/2014My husband loves sushi and sashimi and I don't. Therefore, we don't often dine at Japanese restaurants. I love Cafe Japengo because it pleases both of us. He eats delicious sushi and I eat cooked food. I think the scallop, shrimp dish is superb. Also, love that salad with char shu duck. Be sure to share as portions are enormous. Wonderful service and excellent cocktails. A true favorite.
- Good, but....TonyDined on 7/8/2014Everything was very good but i was not impressed with the steak and prawns. The filet was tasty, but small and drowning in the sauce. Way too much mash and the root they had there was not very good. Also, the shrimp were dried and small too small to be called prawns. For $49 i was not impressed. Saying this the Sushi was excellent and my wife's noddle dish was fantastic. Just wished I not get the steakSpecial Features:
- 10 years later...still fantastic!DiningDiVIPDined on 7/7/2014Thrilled to see one of our favorite places was still going strong! Dumplings and sushi appetizers were so fresh and delicious. Entrée of duck was perfect as was the shrimp and scallop noodle dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most courteous staff -great foodMamaVIPDined on 7/2/2014From the moment one enters, one is greeted warmly. Not gushing, phony warmth, but the hosts do their best to make the guest feel welcome. This extends to the others in the front of the house. Servers are extremely patient and helpful when one is trying to make a decision. They clearly have been well trained by management. The food is wonderful. Love this restaurant
- Always GREAT!MikeDined on 6/28/2014My wife and I chose Cafe Japengo to celebrate our anniversary. Sitting at the sushi bar we were served by chef, Mark, and James who were very attentive. Loved the nigori sake, sashimi, and selection of nigiri sushi. Great dessert (ice cream) of coconut and green tea. Kudos to the gentlemen above and to head chef, Jerry Warner, for keeping Cafe Japengo a "go to" place.Special Features:
- I'm a RegularHighonSanDiegoDined on 6/26/2014Japengo is one of my favorite places for lunch or dinner. Food is always very good though I usually end up having sushi. Head sushi chef Jerry is terrific if you sit at the sushi bar. Depending on the reason I'm there, I often choose a booth. Sometimes sitting in the middle of the restaurant and Thursday nights can be a bit noisy. But I love it!Special Features:
- Not a Great ValueOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/25/2014I ordered the Ahi Tuna salad [$22] and left hungry ... not sure there was more than 3 oz of tuna on that saladSpecial Features:
- Sushi Must!SpindogVIPDined on 6/18/2014This is the second time that I have been here in a month...the Sushi is great - and plentiful! The duck was very good - ask for the plum sauce on a separate bowl. It overwhelms the flavors of the duck and veggies.Special Features:
- JourneyVIPDined on 6/14/2014This was our second time visiting the place and the experience was actually better than the first time!! We had Melissa & her trainee Heather and I would recommend Melissa to everyone/anyone!! Not only she was professional, friendly, she was very knowledgeable with the whole menu there! She even introduced us something new that wasn't on the menu and turned out to be AMAZING!! We had calamari for appetizer, sushi roll called 'protein' & duck as entree and again, the portion was enough for 4 people!! The taste of the food was phenomenal and we are definitely making this place as our hot spot!!Special Features:
- Awesome sushi placepumbitaDined on 6/2/2014We really enjoyed our dinner at Japengo. The service was incredible and food was amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodwonanVIPDined on 5/31/2014the calamari appetizer is always the best! We ordered 2 this time and the waiter was surprised but we told him that's because we love this dish!Special Features:
- High quality Sushi, great serviceJanetRogerVIPDined on 5/30/2014We're very picky about our sushi. Needs to be absolutely fresh and very high quality. The sushi chefs are friendly and skilled. Always look forward to our weekly visit.
- Food is excellent!LJdinerDined on 5/29/2014Great selection of sushi options, as well as a menu of creative Pacific Rim dishes. Professional, friendly waitstaff. Had a lovely dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vacation Dinner at JapengoMomDayDined on 5/23/2014I can't say enough about this place. It is one of the best sushi restaurants I have ever been to. I took my daughters while on vacation in San Diego and found this gem. Great wait staff, I mean amazing wait staff. The Miso soup was stupendous. The calamari we had was also equally amazing, especially the way they prepare it. We had sushi and chicken teriyaki. In fact, they can make anything, even if not on the menu. Two of the dishes we ordered were custom made. This is a great place to take someone for a special occasion or an awesome dinner. I was very impressed with the entire set up, from ambience to food, from service to ease of ordering and we must have had 3 or 4 people serving us, because a glass was never wanting and every need met!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JourneyVIPDined on 5/16/2014The place opens late and provides a good variety of food. We had roasted oyster and fries to start and they were DELICIOUS!! Then we had duck salad, it was ridiculous amount of food, it was enough for 2 of us. We really didn't need anymore food after that but did order the steak and ended up taking home. The steak was ok, probably won't order it again. The duck salad is definitely worth for us to go back to.Special Features:
- Best in townWe2travelabitVIPDined on 5/10/2014The Sushi is second to none in San Diego. Only complaint was a server that was not up to speed on the menu and off menu specialities.Special Features:
- great food, wonderful serviceJannyVIPDined on 4/19/2014I was suspicious about the quality of the food here as it is associated with a hotel...not usually a good sign. However, every dish that my husband and I ordered was delicious. I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- wonanVIPDined on 4/18/2014great service, food was delicious! Will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service was impressiveOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/15/2014We went when it was very busy and they were not expecting the crowd. Our assistant server, Ariel, was amazing, taking care of us during all if the gaps in service!! Food was good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok lunch, I need to try againjaywhy4Dined on 4/9/2014Calamari was awesome. Vietmanese Pork noodle dish was extra salty and heavy. Needs less sauce. I didn't try it but I heard the salmon burgers are tasty. The sushi looked good - I'll have to come back during happy hour to try them out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding SaladbmutchDined on 4/8/2014My guest and I both ordered the Duck salad which was fantastic. In fact, every time I go to Japengo's that is what I order. The salad itself has dried cranberries, glazed pecans, asian pears along with the mixed greens with a light dressing The duck breast is amazing with wonderful Asian flavors. It's a winner every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Japengo Has Gone Down HillSoSoVIPDined on 4/7/2014This place used to be GREAT. Its gone down hill. We went for lunch, and not only is it the same price as dinner, but it just was not great. The server was very nice but we asked for light rice and clearly the kitchen didn't listen. I hate to see a great restaurant deteriorate.
- Cafe Jaengo is always a goodRuebsteakDined on 4/4/2014Cafe Jaengo is always a good time. The sushi is as fresh as it gets, custom unique rolls, great service big drinks and a fair price for what you get.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a bit disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/3/2014Have eaten here many times. Good ambience, interesting food, but the service has gone down hill.
- Doggie Bag!BrendaGDined on 4/2/2014Everything was going ok. No service from wait staff until all three of us were seated so I sat there w/o attention for 10 minutes. At the end, I asked the wait person to be sure the respective fried rice dishes were indeed separate as I had added chili paste to mine. Indeed my companion got mine with the chili paste so.... makes me wonder about quality assurance.
- The following 622 reviews are from the Cafe Japengo reviews archive.
- QuikRevuwCRZ4CJDined on 3/25/2014Great dining experience. This was my first time there andI drive from the LA area. It was worth it. I'll definitely come back! Ieven took pictures of the food- it was beautifully presented!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet food but too crowdedDJillieVIPDined on 3/21/2014Love the calamari, the best we've ever had. everything is fresh and flavorful, mostly spiced up. What takes away from Japango's is the crowds, noise, and slow service. There's inadequate noise insulation, and the staff is overwhelmed. Too many large parties around us and too much yelling & laughing. Not a good place for a a quiet conversation. Can't even hear my self talk, much less the person across from me!Special Features:
- WonderfulJessDined on 3/18/2014I met two clients for a business meeting and quickly found Japengo meeting my expectations. By request, I was seated in a quiet area of the restaurant. We ordered a variety of sushi and everything was extremely fresh. The waitress was on point and considerate. Overall this restaurant will not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UninspiredDelMarDinerVIPDined on 3/18/2014These guys have all the ingredients to be a hot spot. But they just don't deliver. Food is bland, boring and uninspired - too bad because it's a nice facility. Big business after work crowdSpecial Features:
- I always love sushi!JaimiVIPDined on 2/28/2014I have been to Japengo's several times in the past, generally its busy and a bit snobby. This time it was a rainy day and the place was empty…they welcomed us without the usual "do you have a reservation" when the place is empty. I had the sushi and it was surprisingly good, my friend had a tofu dish and loved it.
- Need a sushi fix? This is the placefinancialtech5Dined on 2/22/2014Excellent spot for sushi lovers. Very friendly staff, very nice and clean establishment. Great place for travelers who don't want to go far but eat somewhere else other than the hotel. Highly recommended! The next time I come to San Diego, I will stop by again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best sushi in San DiegoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/22/2014This spot is just straight awesome and it does not disappoint. We walked in almost 10 minutes before our reservation and we were sat immediately. The server was friendly, nice, and helped recommend dishes. The overall atmosphere, ambiance, and the sushi makes this place a GEM in San Diego. It's my favorite spot in San Diego by far and If you have not been here yet you're missing out. Keep doing what you do and don't change a thing Cafe Japengo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic at the sushi bar!MikeDined on 2/15/2014Great to celebrate at one of our favorite restaurants, Cafe Japengo. James at the sushi bar was excellent at preparing a selection of sashimi, followed by various nigiri sushi. Outstanding!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.