8960 University Center Lane
San Diego, CA 92122Neighborhood:
La Jolla / Golden Triangle
AsianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafejapengo.com/
- Phone: 8584503355x
- Hours of Operation:
Hours of Operation: Lunch:
Monday through Friday 11 am to 2 pm
Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm-9:30pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm-10:30pm
Monday though Friday: 4:30pm-7:00 pm
Saturday: 4:30 pm-CL
Sushi Hour at the Sushi bar
Monday through Saturday: 4:30pm-5:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Asian
- Executive Chef: Jerry Warner
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: catering available up to 40 people, selection of Pacific Rim cuisine and Sushi, drop off in the La Jolla area or pick up available
- Private Party Facilities: Up to 50 guests .
- Private Party Contact: Jamie Kelly-Bee 8584503355x
- Special Events: Book your special event, holiday party or business lunch or dinner.
Family style and prix fixe menus available. Sushi classes scheduled monthly. For inquires email: Jamie.Kelly-Bee@hyatt.com
A word from Cafe Japengo
Located at the Golden Triangle, Café Japengo is renowned for both fabulous Sushi and incredible fusion creations that combine Japanese and Western flavors. The energetic atmosphere and the trendy clientele make it make it a 'must' when visiting San Diego. Gluten free menu available.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Cafe Japengo - Best Restaurants in La Jolla / Golden Triangle ›
Cafe Japengo reviews from OpenTable diners
86 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (51)good for groups (36)special occasion (35)great for lunch (27)romantic (25)hot spot (21)vibrant bar scene (16)neighborhood gem (16)great for outdoor dining (11)kid-friendly (6)great for brunch (4)late-night find (3)notable wine list (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Always excellent food!GiniDined on 10/10/2014The atmosphere is great... Service always outstanding. The menu is fun a full of great dishes. Must try the fillet mignon with prawns!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AWESOME!!!JourneyVIPDined on 10/4/2014Everything is AWESOME!! Melissa is the BEST, she is friendly, knowledgeable and professional. Food is tasty, HUGE portion. We have been back several times and can't wait to go back again.Special Features:
- sushi lovers14moDined on 10/3/2014you love sushi, you'll love this place ... beware though the sushi servings are huge ... twice what anyone else does ... great foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Staff picks...bonmanVIPDined on 9/30/2014Went here for lunch and the entire staff was very nice! I asked my waitress what she recommended and she suggested the 'Summer Roll'and the 'Vietnamese Pork'. Both were SUPERB! Great dishes! Overall, an excellent meal!Special Features:
- priceyTJekDined on 9/23/2014pricey, but we knew that going in. interesting menu for restaurant weekSpecial Features:
- They do asian fusion the bestZippyzopDined on 9/20/2014Been going here for 25 years... they do the asian fusion right. We went out with friends and without asking they knew to take their time with us. Never rushed. Food is excellent, I recommend ordering a bunch of apps and sushi (and also the fried rice) and sharing.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/19/2014We celebrated my husband's birthday here and they were so nice and accomodatingSpecial Features:
- Asian fusion food is impressive.drsamuraiVIPDined on 9/19/2014Char siu duck salad was over the top. Miso butter fish was delicious. The Asian fusion is done quite expertly. Service was professional and efficient. I will be back to try other menu items.Special Features:
- consistentBVDinerDined on 9/18/2014It's a great Restaurant since 1989.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Artistic and appetizingWestCoastDiningDined on 9/17/2014I truly enjoyed my experience at Japengo. The atmosphere was relevant to the Japanese culture and food. The staff was eager to serve and friendly. I will continue to take clients there who enjoy the art of Japanese cuisine.Special Features:
- Needs a sparkFoodSearchVIPDined on 9/12/2014The menu is tried and true with many items the same as they were almost two decades ago. Problem is that the quality of the preparation has gone down significantly- food was over cooked and had less spark than in the past. Used to go often and our last meal reinforced our decision that it's not a go to place. The calamari was greasy; the duck was dry and gray. Used to love the restaurant.Special Features:
- great food!wonanVIPDined on 9/12/2014Always great food and we love our server Melissa! She knows what we like and can have our dishes on our table in 5 min!Special Features:
- Great food, slow service this timeCrazy2gooutDined on 9/8/2014We go frequently to this favorite restaurant of ours, food is great, just the service was slow this time.Special Features:
- Great experiencePocketVIPDined on 9/6/2014We took our two kids and they shared a bento box. I was surprised at how kid friendly they were, yet it was a lively and romantic spot. The sushi was amazing and the service was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014wonderful experience, great food and exellent serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/5/2014Expensive, but good. Great occasion night but pricey for an every weekend ventureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentJannyVIPDined on 8/21/2014This restaurant, while always excellent is expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Swanky Sushiluv2dineVIPDined on 8/21/2014We were limited for time and our server took that seriously. She was quick to place our order and brought our check just after the food so we had it to check out when ready. The sushi was very good. That's all we had time to try.Special Features:
- Best Sushi ever!Lv2rkclimbVIPDined on 8/8/2014We've eaten here before but it has been a while! As usual- this place never disappoints me. We had sushi and it was fresh, fresh, fresh! Ambiance is spectacular and the service is top-notched! Definitely a must come back!Special Features:
- DisappointedDisappontedDined on 8/4/2014Sushi at Japengo used to be (10 yrs ago) fresh and very tasty, but on this visit, the fish was not fresh-- it had a peculiar taste. The entrees were disappointing-- the miso butterfish in broth was not to my liking. The broth overwhelmed the fish. The black cod was flaky, but the taste of the broth covered the delicate flavor of the fish. I've had miso butterfish in Japanese restaurants before, an it is one of my favorite dish. The scallops were dry, and the ahi also was dry-- overcooked. Overall, we were very disappointed in the food. In the past, the food was tasty and we enjoyed our experience. Not this time.
- Disappointedtravelanddine4us2Dined on 7/29/2014We have dined at Cafe Japengo since it opened, although just once or twice each year during our annual vacation in La Jolla. We have always loved it. As a matter of fact, I would say it had been one of my very favorite restaurants. This year it was a disappointment from the menu selections to the food. I doubt we'll go back.
- Good sushi!Barney415Dined on 7/23/2014Great food. Light and healthy! Had a business meeting and they food allowed us to talk and share a meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Japengo, a reliable sushi placemikeVIPDined on 7/23/2014The restaurant has been a mainstay of the various sushi restaurants around. It anchors the Aventine spot and is a great place for interview lunches and the like. I have never had a bad meal there. The service is quite good. The food while is of high quality is no longer adventurous.Special Features:
- Always a pleasure dining at JapengoMamaVIPDined on 7/21/2014One of our favorite restaurants in La Jolla. Always great service. On this most recent visit I found the food to be much too salty. We ordered Vietnamese pork dish. Best to stick with seafood which is always outstanding. Service, as always, was top notchI would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyableScottyVIPDined on 7/19/2014We dine here every 3 months or so - don't know why we don't do it more often! The food was great, the service was excellent.Special Features:
- Okay spot for a bite in UTC area.fooderizVIPDined on 7/18/2014Pretty standard place. Okay sushi and the rest the menus decent. Not mind blowing and perhaps the other restaurants by the Hyatt are a little bit better.
- Good sushi barStevoskiVIPDined on 7/18/2014Not my fave sushi bar but very good none the less. The food and fish were fresh and quite well prepared and presented. The service was attentive but not overbearing. All in all a good place to go for sushi and sashimi when in the mood.Special Features:
- consistently delicioussecondtimetesterDined on 7/17/2014There are very few restaurants that we enjoy the second, third etc. time. Japengo is just delicious every time. The service is perfect, the ambience is fun and the prices are reachable. They also are very obliging to diet restrictions. Highly recommended. We parked in the self-parking lot and they were ample places and they validated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible SushiWe2travelabitVIPDined on 7/14/2014This is by far the best Sushi in San Diego. The fish is fresh and flavorful.Special Features:
- Palate pleaser for everyoneMamaVIPDined on 7/9/2014My husband loves sushi and sashimi and I don't. Therefore, we don't often dine at Japanese restaurants. I love Cafe Japengo because it pleases both of us. He eats delicious sushi and I eat cooked food. I think the scallop, shrimp dish is superb. Also, love that salad with char shu duck. Be sure to share as portions are enormous. Wonderful service and excellent cocktails. A true favorite.
- Good, but....TonyDined on 7/8/2014Everything was very good but i was not impressed with the steak and prawns. The filet was tasty, but small and drowning in the sauce. Way too much mash and the root they had there was not very good. Also, the shrimp were dried and small too small to be called prawns. For $49 i was not impressed. Saying this the Sushi was excellent and my wife's noddle dish was fantastic. Just wished I not get the steakSpecial Features:
- 10 years later...still fantastic!DiningDiVIPDined on 7/7/2014Thrilled to see one of our favorite places was still going strong! Dumplings and sushi appetizers were so fresh and delicious. Entrée of duck was perfect as was the shrimp and scallop noodle dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most courteous staff -great foodMamaVIPDined on 7/2/2014From the moment one enters, one is greeted warmly. Not gushing, phony warmth, but the hosts do their best to make the guest feel welcome. This extends to the others in the front of the house. Servers are extremely patient and helpful when one is trying to make a decision. They clearly have been well trained by management. The food is wonderful. Love this restaurant
- Always GREAT!MikeDined on 6/28/2014My wife and I chose Cafe Japengo to celebrate our anniversary. Sitting at the sushi bar we were served by chef, Mark, and James who were very attentive. Loved the nigori sake, sashimi, and selection of nigiri sushi. Great dessert (ice cream) of coconut and green tea. Kudos to the gentlemen above and to head chef, Jerry Warner, for keeping Cafe Japengo a "go to" place.Special Features:
- I'm a RegularHighonSanDiegoDined on 6/26/2014Japengo is one of my favorite places for lunch or dinner. Food is always very good though I usually end up having sushi. Head sushi chef Jerry is terrific if you sit at the sushi bar. Depending on the reason I'm there, I often choose a booth. Sometimes sitting in the middle of the restaurant and Thursday nights can be a bit noisy. But I love it!Special Features:
- Not a Great ValueOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/25/2014I ordered the Ahi Tuna salad [$22] and left hungry ... not sure there was more than 3 oz of tuna on that saladSpecial Features:
- The following 640 reviews are from the Cafe Japengo reviews archive.
- Sushi Must!SpindogVIPDined on 6/18/2014This is the second time that I have been here in a month...the Sushi is great - and plentiful! The duck was very good - ask for the plum sauce on a separate bowl. It overwhelms the flavors of the duck and veggies.Special Features:
- JourneyVIPDined on 6/14/2014This was our second time visiting the place and the experience was actually better than the first time!! We had Melissa & her trainee Heather and I would recommend Melissa to everyone/anyone!! Not only she was professional, friendly, she was very knowledgeable with the whole menu there! She even introduced us something new that wasn't on the menu and turned out to be AMAZING!! We had calamari for appetizer, sushi roll called 'protein' & duck as entree and again, the portion was enough for 4 people!! The taste of the food was phenomenal and we are definitely making this place as our hot spot!!Special Features:
- Awesome sushi placepumbitaVIPDined on 6/2/2014We really enjoyed our dinner at Japengo. The service was incredible and food was amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodwonanVIPDined on 5/31/2014the calamari appetizer is always the best! We ordered 2 this time and the waiter was surprised but we told him that's because we love this dish!Special Features: