Cafe il Nido
780 Thurlow Street
Vancouver, BC V6E 1V8Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
Cafe il Nido
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafeilnido.net/
- Phone: (604) 685-6436
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am -2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Franco Felice
- Dress Code: Formal Attire
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Home-in Chef for private events.
- Private Party Facilities: Customised multi-course meals.
Customised set menus
- Private Party Contact: Franco Felice 6046456436x
A word from Cafe il Nido
Here's a city gem as hidden as a Mafioso in the witness-protection program. This courtyard patio tucked away between the Manhattan Apartments has that la dolce vita atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Cafe il Nido - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Cafe il Nido reviews from OpenTable diners
25 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (13)fit for foodies (8)romantic (7)special occasion (6)great for outdoor dining (6)great for lunch (5)good for groups (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)hot spot (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Wouldn't go backMrTruthDined on 11/15/2014I planned a birthday for my wife here, I had pasta and water, she had a salad and mushrooms with a martini and the bill came out to $120. The food was okay but nothing you couldn't make at home, the place it's self felt a bit to "try hard" it was very small and tight packed. The washrooms (men's room) felt like a closet within a closet.. Overall not impressed and will not go back and do not recommend it. For half the price you could go to the keg and get more food of better quality and be surrounded by a romantic seductive atmosphere.
- 50th bdayRjalDined on 10/22/2014I brought my wife and family here for her 50th birthday. They were extremely accomodating especially as we were 45 minutes late for our reservation. They did not pressure us or rush us at all. The food was awesome and the sauces were so good i kept using thier foccacia to sneak a taste of my families plates.. Super awesome sauces and service!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always fantasticdinerDined on 10/10/2014Il Nido is a terrific little restaurant. The food is always delicious and the service friendly and prompt. Typically I try their specials because they are always very good. Fantastic home made gnocchi and pasta. I have only been for lunch but I am sure it would be great for dinner too.Special Features:
- I'm still hungry!Francesca2007Dined on 9/24/2014The portions in the plate are low, we are still hungry when we leave. Especially the portions of vegetables! The waitress demands you too fast to pay the invoice, we feel a haste to collect you who puts ill-at-ease.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb Atmosphere !OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/27/2014I have known Franco and Il Nido over 35 years and have always enjoyed the foods and atmosphere and a super host Franco !Special Features:
- Dusty and noisyFoodie28Dined on 8/22/2014Our party of 5 went to this restaurant for a staff lunch as it is just blocks away from our office. I had been looking forward to some good Italian cuisine, however must say that I was quite disappointed by the portions and quality of the food. I ordered the Insalata and while the dressing was nice and refreshing, the lettuce had already gone bad. Also, the tablecloth of our table and plates were dusty and dirty which a dead fly on the tablecloth. Not very pleasant! The noise was, unfortunately, high as well, as there was construction right outside and they kept the windows open so we couldn't have a conversation without being interrupted constantly. I would not recommend this place to anyone and certainly not go back.
- How has this place lasted so long?LunchersVIPDined on 7/28/2014Decided to go to il Nido for the first time in many years. A restaurant that has been around so long must be good. Wrong! They have a nice patio for lunch spot on a sunny afternoon. But we were the only people there, which spoiled an otherwise nice atmosphere. The service was terrible. The server was not attentive to our table and gave my wife a lot of attitude about asking for vegan options. Even steak houses or French restaurants are more accommodating, but we're talking pasta here! Offer up some noodles and tomato sauce, but she couldn't be bothered to "see what the chef can do." We are your only customers in the whole place. You should be bending over backwards to keep us happy. We almost walked out at that point, and I wish we had.
- lovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/23/2014My father and his wife were visiting for the week and wanted to go out for Italian for their last night in town. il Nido was perfect. My father declared the gnocchi the best he has ever had. We had a wonderful time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/22/2014I celebrated my 80th birthday. We were six people. Our waitress certainly looked after our needsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 275 reviews are from the Cafe il Nido reviews archive.
- Noncika98Dined on 7/14/2014We went there because I wanted to use my new Lyoness loyalty card. It was a great choice. We loved sitting outdoor, nice are, great food, very good deserts. It was a very good experience and I would recommend it to my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- richibiDined on 7/8/2014by the trellis of a summer evening, on the patio at Il Nido's, we sipped superb wine to a service and fare that were nothing short of excellent, we were celebrating my dad's birthday, long gone now, but my mom and I couldn't've spent a better evening celebrating his life, as we've been doing for several years now, always at Il Nido's, and they've always been utterly perfect - RichardSpecial Features:
- Cafe Il Nido shinesplate2palateDined on 6/20/2014Special appetizer pasta request a smashing success. Listen to do the Maitre De's recommendations. The pasta, garlic and parmesan, vegetables were very fresh. Excellent Caesar Salad with right amt of dressing - most places over dress salad. We always forget about Café Il Nido for dinner, not any more, perfect business lunch spot. Italian foodies will luv it. The outdoor garden area cozy and pretty for dining with a party of 4. Good coffee, incredible dessert - good portions on all. Perfect before heading off to our jazz festival show. We'll be back. We will tell our friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieVIPDined on 6/12/2014Very disappointed with the food at this restaurant. My husband ordered the Bolognese and I ordered the Lasagna. We didn't mind that the portions were small, but the dishes lacked any taste and was really salty. Definitely not even close to the excellent food we had in Italy. I saved a little bit of food for my daughter to go and I was shocked they put the piece of bread in a used popcorn paper bag and the box in a used BC liquor bag. This is suppose to be a fine dining restaurant?! I have to mention the gentleman that served us was very very nice, but can't say so much for the lady.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/2/2014the food arrived HOT and delicious with good portions. the ravioli was a little disappointing in portion size but otherwise tasty. the wine was overpriced compared to the cost of the food and it was noted that most diners did not purchase wine or appetizers - was it the cost? the bread and olive pate was a treat even though it was an extra cost. overall a good experienceSpecial Features:
- Great PlaceRickyDined on 5/30/2014For 15 years we have enjoyed special occasions here. Great food, nice people and convenient location.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014The patio must be the gem. It was closed and in the inside was like eating in your rec room. Hostess was argumentative. Food was pretty basic, nothing to be excited about.Special Features:
- What a disappointment!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/10/2014We had to walk out as the drinks were being ordered. Waitress was soooo rude!!! I have never been treated like that before. Excuse was she was tired. We have all been tired before, suck it up and move on.
- richibiDined on 5/3/2014the most extensive, inventive, superb pastas, to my mind, in the city; the service was warm, welcoming, helpful and discreetly, but professionally and knowledgeably, attentive; thanks for a wonderful night - RichardSpecial Features:
- A great findFrankKDined on 4/29/2014We both really enjoyed our meals at this restaurant. Much better than Cin Cin the previous night.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014Dinner was outstanding; food and service was phenomenal. Would definitely recommend and will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet night, great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/18/2014Surprisingly quiet night, we had the restaurant all to ourselves. Excellent service and accommodating for a large group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Relaxing DinnerKKirkDined on 4/18/2014We had dinner before a show so we were a bit earlier than the usual dinner crowd. The ambiance is better later in the evening when it's dark outside (lots of windows) and the energy picks up a bit. Overall, good service and an enjoyable dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A downtown gemSuzanneDined on 3/27/2014Cafe Il Nido was wonderfully accommodating in every way when we dined there to celebrate a "milestone" birthday. The restaurant was quieter than I'd expected (we were the only ones there) but it was an all-around lovely experience--excellent service (thanks Momo for the efficient, attentive, good-humoured service); cozy, elegant atmosphere; and delicious food (only one of the menu items did not meet our party's satisfaction, but that may be a personal thing--she found it too salty). To top things off, the birthday girl was treated to a complimentary dessert. All of these qualities plus a good wine list and central downtown location add up to a gem of a restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the very few spotsHungryDined on 3/27/2014One of the very few spots in Vancouver where you can have an excellent meal, very good service and it is quiet enough to carry on a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, service could be betterOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/19/2014The waitress that sat us down was not so friendly, she was not smiling, and had a scowl on her face. Thankfully I had read reviews of the restaurant beforehand and knew that they did half hours of pasta, but she did not care to mention that to me until I asked her. She also did not tell me that the half orders were all priced at $15 each, instead of half the price listed on the menu which was what I expected. I only found this out once I received the bill. Thankfully our servers alternated between her and another waiter who was much better and more attentive than her. He explained the special of the night and was very informative. Food was great, but I would have brought my clients to another place like Italian Kitchen for their service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingnightoutDined on 3/1/2014We visited Cafe Il Nido last Saturday night; the food was okay but overpriced. Though the restaurant wasn't busy our server keep rushing us though the meal.
- Qualified very goodDiscerningVIPDined on 2/28/2014We enjoyed our evening, but I qualify my approval rating for the following reasons: the restaurant does a limited menu very well, but is is expensive. There is no veal on the menu other than Osso Bucco, even the pastas are very few. The wine list is good, but again it is expensive. However, the service was excellent and not intrusive and we did spend three and a half hours, so a very leisurely evening was the result.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Won't go backSophieDined on 2/28/2014The food at Café il Nido is very good but not worth the cheap décor and questionable staff. We had two staff members serve us - one male who was extremely personable and happy to serve us, the other a woman who seemed constantly distracted. The worst of it was that she actually asked my companion and I if we would switch tables between our main course and coffee/dessert so she could accommodate a party of three where we were sitting! We had made a reservation that we were only an hour into and she had sat us at that particular table! Appalling at a restaurant supposedly of this caliber. I won't go back there... There are other Italian restaurants in town with equally good food (or better) and with much better service and ambience!
- Don't leave us!MichaelDined on 2/15/2014The first strange thing was trying to book through Open Table. For the second time in a week OT told me that a restaurant was full then to telephone them to find table and in one case to go and find we were the only ones there!! You guys need to get your act together. The food here was perfectly acceptable, the service a little chaotic, the wine list expensive. My only complaint was that after the main course the service seemed to be terminated as the staff concentrated on closing the restaurant (9.30)and making a fast escape Fortunately i had delightful dining companion so it didn't matter, though we were not offered any dessert or coffee or the bill until I finally attracted a waiter's attention. Attention to detail is important il NidoI would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional Food, Service, AmbianceFoodiePalateDined on 2/14/2014I took my girlfriend here on Valentines day, mainly because they didn't have some lame "V-Day Fixe Prix" menu. They had their regular menu with a couple special entrees for the occasion. I was greeted by one of the ladies up front who promptly asked for my reservation details and were seated right away. Yes, our table was PROPERLY reserved, and through OpenTable, woohoo! I will add that my particular server (I believe his name was Momo?) was incredibly courteous, prompt, and friendly. He made a great recommendation to a bottle of red off the wine list which accompanied our meal perfectly. On to the food: I was very impressed with how everything tasted so fresh, delicious, and was presented elegantly on our plates. Delizioso, be back!Special Features:
- great food.. not enough spaceDeliciousDined on 2/14/2014Great food but you are too close to everyone else.. not too romantic... tables are too closeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- quiet hidden gemNorthshoreSimonDined on 2/12/2014Tucked into a quiet courtyard just off busy Robson St, Cafe Il Nido is a favoured spot for casual business lunches and intimate dinners. The food is consistent and the service is excellent.Special Features:
- Excellent Service! DeliciousSteakLoverVIPDined on 2/1/2014Excellent Service! Delicious food! Perfect ambience!Special Features:
- The food was tasty and nicelygoodfood1Dined on 2/1/2014The food was tasty and nicely presented but portions were small. Lobster ravioli tasted a little "fishy". Pork chop was a bit dry. The atmosphere was disappointing. Seriously needed updating. No view even to the street, felt like being in someone's basement in the 80's - had a musty smell. Service was great and staff was lovely.Special Features:
- A fun night outMawmanVIPDined on 1/29/2014We had a party of 7 and everyone remarked on how good the food was. Not much in the way of character or ambiance. Service staff were friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian DelightZastilloDined on 1/29/2014Great customer service. Quick with food. Good atmosphere. A little crowded and noisy, bur overall pretty good. A little pricey, considerin the portion, but the service makes up for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rarely in VancouverGolf4foodDined on 1/28/2014Found this gem of a restaurant by searching online for romantic dining close to our hotel. Got a table using OpenTable after phoning and being told they were booked solid. Staff were great, food was excellent and the mood was just right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The dine-out menu at CafetessDined on 1/27/2014The dine-out menu at Cafe il Nido was wow. So many dishes to choose from especially at dine-out where most places offer 3-4 choices. Our meal was exceptional. Enjoyed every bite esecially my Ossobuco. There were 7 people in out party so it did take awhile for out main course to arrive but it was hot and delicious. Unforturately your lemon tart was to to tart for my husband and my friend. The service was wonderful and our whole evening was very very enjoyable especially since it was my birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely Amazing!foodanddanceDined on 1/25/2014My boyfriend and I had been to a few restaurants for dine out Vancouver and chose Cafe Il Nido for the gnocchi entrée option. When we arrived we were pleasantly surprised with such a cozy restaurant tucked away in the corner. The manager was extraordinary and he set us up with a table as we waited since I was on crutches. He insisted that we order drinks to make the waited more enjoyable. He was very lovely and made us feel like family. We were then brought into the dining room and he took my jacket and crutches so I could be more comfortable as we dined. Service was impeccable and the food was to die for! We have definitely found our new "special occasion" restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazedJohnnyDined on 1/25/2014I'm not one to go to high-class dining often - usually the more you pay the less you eat and the more likely you'd have to top up your stomach with a trip to McDonald's. I was so happy we chose this restaurant during Dine Out Vancouver. We went in early at 5:30 as I was late to reserve a spot but I'm glad we did, it was quiet and not crowded with people. Food was incredibly delicious and the portions for the mains were way bigger than I expected. Service was prompt, never needed to call for attention as our drinks were always refilled and meals came out fast. Servers were a delight and the room felt very cozy and warm. I'd love to come back to try out what else on the menu they have to offer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.