3939 Cross Creek Rd.
Malibu, CA 90265Neighborhood:
CubanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.habana-malibu.com/
- Phone: 3103170300
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican, Cuban
- Executive Chef: Jamaal Taherzadeh
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access
A word from Cafe Habana
Cafe Habana is a Cuban/Mexican cafe in Malibu, CA that holds an approachable, community-driven environment. We serve innovated Latin cuisine with a menu drawing specifically on Mexican and Cuban flavors. Our restaurant serves a lunch and dinner menu. As well, we have a full bar with original signature drinks and many wines sourced from California producers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Cafe Habana - Best Restaurants in Malibu ›
Cafe Habana reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (13)neighborhood gem (8)kid-friendly (5)good for groups (5)great for lunch (5)hot spot (5)special occasion (5)fit for foodies (4)romantic (3)late-night find (3)great for brunch (1)notable wine list (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Michael4535Dined on 9/25/2014Love Cafe Habana. Very, very cool place. Has Randy Gerber's fingerprints all over it. Wonderful, friendly service. And the food is great. Please don't miss the amazing corn (on or off the cob). The fish tacos and shrimp tacos are extraordinary. Plus Laird Hamilton and his wife Gabby were eating next to us. Really fun evening. Just cool. Ya gotta go.Special Features:
- Has potential! Waitress ditzy!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/15/2014When you ask your waitress what's popular and she "forgets" to tell you about the corn on the cob then you need to train better or fire them!!
- GreatVeejawsDined on 9/10/2014Came here for bday...everything was sooo yummy...the service was exceptional!!! Especially loved our dessert!!! Friendly and attentive employees!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good local Mexican foodAwinrmVIPDined on 9/6/2014Not disappointed, but we thought it was going to be Cuban food, based on the name. Instead, Mexican food with some interesting twists. Overall, good food, nice patio.Special Features:
- NEVER DISAPPOINTSJcjanecDined on 9/5/2014This is my second visit to this restaurant and it was even better than the first. On a busy Friday afternoon for lunch, we were seated promptly (make reservations!) and our server was attentive and very responsive. The food is of a very high quality and is served fast. Their special Habana Iced Tea is an amazing non-alcoholic beverage. If you need to get back to work or on the road, you can dine rather quickly, but they don't rush you out and you are invited to linger to enjoy the lovely ambiance. Highly recommend it as a wonderful Malibu dining spot. While you don't see the ocean, you can feel the cool breezes and the lush green plants offer such a wonderful ambiance you don't really care.Special Features:
- Bad from the startOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/1/2014Went to Cafe Habana for a late Monday lunch. Upon arriving I asked for a table outside and was told you can only sit outside if you request it in your reservation. That isn't stated anywhere but a bigger problem is during our meal there were always tables outside available. Service was slow but friendly. It takes about 10 minutes to get a mixed drink from the bar. Ordered the blackened chicken sandwich without mayo. When it came out it had mayo. I brought it up to the server and she said that the sandwich has avocado-mayo not regular mayo. Seriously? She finally got us another one but it was really too late for this experience. The tables around us complained as well. Nothing was good, little was average, a lot was bad. Overpriced & bad.
- They don't honor OpenTable Cheques!IcedAmericanoVIPDined on 8/30/2014When we at at Cafe Habana on 8/30/14, the manager refused to accept our OpenTable Rewards Cheque even though it was valid and we had booked our reservation through OpenTable. No explanation... they just said they wouldn't accept them. Our waitress was very polite but I consider their service poor because of the manager's treatment of the situation.
- Not so GreatnewfindsDined on 8/30/2014My second time there, lovely staff and very friendly... Food was not good. Guacamole was bland and tasteless, taco salad the same. My friend had the tortilla soup, so full of peppers she could barely eat it.. My first meal there was breakfast which was much better..Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/29/2014Billed as Cuban place however essentially Mexican. Food better than average but very noisy and crowded.
- Great casual restaurant in Malibuvegan4lifeDined on 8/23/2014Wonderful patio area and great staff. The food is consistently good. If you like a busy bar scene then inside is perfect. Noisy and fun with lots happening. If not, request the lovely patio area. Don't miss the corn-either on the cob or they'll cut it off and bring it to you in a bowl. Great guacamole too. And if you're looking for veggie/vegan there's quite a few options on the menu. The wait staff are nicely attentive and make sure the orders are right. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Corn, corn, cornCariebDined on 8/22/2014There is no better place in Malibu or LA for corn. This might sound weird, but once you taste their corn, you will be hooked foreverSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DELICIOUS!MalibudinerDined on 8/8/2014Best Corn in the world! Hands down. I had the salmon and it was cooked perfectly. Very relaxing evening and service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/4/2014Don't miss the corn on the cob, and the pork chop is so tender and juicy you can't go wrong.
- goodbellsopDined on 7/30/2014Everything was great! We were on vacation and this was a great spot to go after our long day on the beach!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 81 reviews are from the Cafe Habana reviews archive.
- Friendly, yummy, fun!foodieVIPDined on 6/4/2014Good food, attentive service, free valet parking! Corn is my new dessert😜👍Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty Cuban/Mex CuisineFoodHunterVIPDined on 5/22/2014We liked Cafe Habana. Good indoor/outdoor seating; cuisine has nice Cuban touch; we ordered salmon and chicken breast sandwiches, both were excellent. They make good margaritas! Portions are generous but not heavy. Service is friendly and responsive. Prices are good too, not pricey for being in Malibu. All in all, a great place for lunch and I am sure for dinner too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DifferentJudiVIPDined on 4/19/2014Wouldn't you know Malibu would have such an unexpected restaurant! Good food and a great staff.Special Features:
- Consistantly GreatDbrookmaVIPDined on 4/5/2014Never a bad meal, always very enjoyable, and a great value.Special Features:
- Very nice - Liked it a lotOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/15/2014I am on a strict diet this week and even found the brown rice bowl dinner suitable. The rest of my party loved their different orders. We'll be back often. Live here in Malibu for 25 years.Special Features:
- Second ChancesSandy64Dined on 3/9/2014Overall Cafe Habana is a nice restaurant, great location, good food, fun atmosphere BUT friendly greetings and service are lacking. Do not choose here if you do not have some time to kill. Both times I have been, we have been ignored by bartenders and severs and both times after patiently waiting for initial greeting, we had to flag someone down. I might refer to friends with a caution flag but doubt we would choose to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome restaurant for date night!fishtacosDined on 1/17/2014I've been to Cafe Habana for lunch and for dinner, and both have been wonderful. The outdoor seating area is beautiful for afternoons and is lit up at night for a fun atmosphere. The food was perfect! Many reviews said that the menu is ethnically confused; I say there is something for everyone. I've tried the fish tacos, the steak tacos, the chicken enchiladas, and the grilled corn--all have been wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great casual place in MalibuOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/10/2014Enjoyed a casual Friday night dinner. We all had vafious tacos that were done just right. The fish ones were perfectly cooked, but a bit bland. Steak tacos were quite tasty. The menu has lots of choices of starters (corn w/cheese was terrific), salads, and entrees traditional and beyond. The service was perfect, too. We are water drinkers and our glasses were refilled without being asked. I would definitely come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently awesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/4/2014Love this place...even on a detox! Even tho mojitos are the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Music, & AmbianceKatGVIPDined on 12/14/2013Authentic cuban music is always playing in plant-lined outdoor patio. Food is awesome from the healthy to not so healthy. They have it all! Plus best mojitos in Los Angeles. Never disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just not very specialRoastbeefVIPDined on 12/10/2013This used to be better - more glamorous, more vibrant. It has now become quite ordinary. We used to get here once every couple of months. If it hadn't been for my daughter requesting we go this time, I would have quietly forgotten it. I won't be rushing back.Special Features:
- Gluten free and organic!BonvivantDined on 12/6/2013All was fresh, many organic foods, and gluten free calamarii! Anything can be made with corn tortillas on request.Special Features:
- Weeknight DiningWonkaDined on 11/26/2013Had the corn... of course... always have to. Though not quite as special as the last few times... The guac was great as were the fish tacos. And my cocktail was outstanding. Blanking on the name... but it had agave nectar and ginger beer... Delicious. Just a nice comfortable spot where you can usually sit and linger. I thought they had taco specials on Tuesday... but I guess I was wrong. May have to brave the Karaoke night on Wednesdays...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything we ordered wasYakkerDined on 11/23/2013Everything we ordered was only semi warm. We even sent things back to be reheated. Four of us ordered margaritas and the waitress failed to infirm us we could order by the pitcher which made us feel she wanted to overcharge us. Food was not even average that night.....will not be returning anytime soon.
- Don't risk without reservationScottDined on 10/18/2013Wife and I went Friday night (with reservation), were seated right away, and enjoyed dinner. Food and service was fine. Saw two other families we knew--one brought child and one did not. We returned the following night with our daughter (without reservation) and were told there was a 30 minute wait. After 30 minutes, I checked with the hostess, and was told wait would be another 30 minutes. Our 5yr old was getting tired and we decided to go across the street. Although we had a nice experience the first visit, I was disappointed that we wasted time waiting for a table we never got the next visit. We will go to Taverna Tony's or Marmelade Cafe instead.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!yummyDined on 10/8/2013We love Cafe Habana! The food is awesome and you can sit outdoors under their covered patio without getting cold. We like sitting outside best since it's much louder inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite HauntgaryfDined on 10/5/2013When we don't know where to go for a nice Sat dinner but want to keep casual Habana is always our number one choice. Nice to see Rande and Cyndi there also.. Service is sometimes iffy but food, drink, and people watching make it all worth its while. Sat we had a sweet 16 party next to us so it got a little loud but we still love the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is always good, atmosphereTKOSCOTTDined on 9/15/2013Food is always good, atmosphere is always hopping and the service is good. You have to try the corn on the Cobb. Wish they had a Gluten Free option, but can always find something to good eat.Special Features:
- Cafe-not-so-Cuban HabanaJdSBDined on 9/6/2013For the prices this restaurant charges, the food was only average. Small portions and over-cooked shrimp and fish were rather surprising, given this is a sea-side casual dining establishment. Also, there didn't seem to be much in the way of authentic Cuban food choices. Felt more Mexican. I won't be going here for dinner again. The location is better for an early drink and snack in the bar.Special Features:
- AttitudeLocal90265VIPDined on 8/31/2013That's the problem with this place! Host or hostess usually have one and don't make you feel valued even with reservation and forget it without reservation. As far as service, excellent waiter this time but everyone was trying extra hard as Cindy and family were there! No effort is made to accommodate local clientele and court a group of loyalist.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious burger!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/27/2013We frequent often for the burger and fries! Grass fed, only meat I will eat. Salads are great too. Cute place, comfortable and relaxed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Showed up on time for reservation.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/25/2013Showed up on time for reservation. Had a request to be seated outside. They told me that it would be a 10 minute wait. I sat inside at a table while waiting. Table didn't become available for 45 minutes, and well after we had ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food...we love theLoveItaliaVIPDined on 6/22/2013Delicious food...we love the corm on the cob! Grilled shrimp, enchiladas, best chips ever, and yummy margaritas! Plus great service and fun atmosphere!Special Features:
- Good Food but Grumpy WaitressPMDinerDined on 6/15/2013My girlfriend and I use to visit Cafe Habana in NYC when we lived there and enjoy going to the Malibu one as well. The food and drinks are good as is the art produced by Shepard Fariey that lines the walls. They have a great outdoor patio and are extremely kid friendly providing crayons and even etch a sketches. We did however have a grumpy waitress that made unnecessary remarks throughout our brunch on Saturday which was disappointing but we didn't let it ruin our meal. Hopefully she's in a better place next time.Special Features:
- Cocktails with the Beautiful PeopleBethCKDined on 6/1/2013Located in the Malibu Lumberyard, Cafe Habana is a great spot to rub elbows with LA's upscale beach crowd. A group of girlfriends joined me for birthday lunch and cocktails after a nearby dance workout at Juicy Athletic Moves. Cafe Habana has an interesting Cuban/South and Central American inspired cocktail list with excellent margaritas, mojitos, capirinhas, and my drink which featured muddled jalapenos with rum and grapefruit juice. Order the grilled corn with cotija cheese, lime and chile for starters. The menu includes some lighter salads including a kale caesar as well as fish tacos and a decent coconut flan.Special Features:
- It was OKOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/26/2013I guess I expected more, so I was a bit disappointed. This is a casual restaurant with Cuban inspired fare. There is a kids menu, which was great. But the service was not great. Refill of coffee and water not offered. Portions were good and prices fair. I just wasn't bowled over.Special Features: