117 Decatur Street
New Orleans, LA 70130Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafegiovanni.com/
- Phone: (504) 529-2154
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Duke LoCicero
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Wheelchair Access
- Entertainment: Live Music Entertainment Provided by Encore Wednesday, Thursday & Friday Evenings
A word from Cafe Giovanni
Cafe Giovanni is a 4 star fine dining restaurant voted winner of the Wine Spectator Award. Duke LoCicero was voted the American Culinary Federation's Chef of the Year, New Orleans chapter. "Where Magazine" named Cafe Giovanni the restaurant with the "Best Ambiance in New Orleans."Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cafe Giovanni reviews from OpenTable diners
88 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (43)special occasion (43)romantic (39)good for groups (27)notable wine list (20)neighborhood gem (17)vibrant bar scene (5)late-night find (5)hot spot (5)kid-friendly (3)great for lunch (2)scenic view (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Will return!Lisa5701Dined on 11/21/2014Thoroughly enjoyed our experience here. The food was outstanding, and the opera singers were amazing. One tiny hiccup, our waiter was not as knowledge about some items on the menu when asked about recommendations. We would definitely come back next we are in New Orleans.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find, a must to visitLolaVIPDined on 11/10/2014Food was fabulous Italian! Truly enjoyed our dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big MissNOLA1Dined on 11/7/2014We live in New Orleans and never ate here and always wanted to try it and it was a big disappointment. Portions were small and over priced. Veal parm was dried out and VooDoo shrimp with grits has so little amount of grits is barely could be seen. It took over 10 miunutes to see a server after we were seated.
- Great find!PrincessPatriciaVIPDined on 11/6/2014Would never have noticed this place if not for Open Table. Great food, great service, OK wine list. Will go there again.
- Great Total ExperienceDoctorJVIPDined on 10/31/2014I'm a foodie, and Cafe Giovanni is a regular stop for me. That said the music is off-the-charts good. Sorry that Kyle has moved from New Orleans. When he and Denise perform a duet, the goose bumps appear. However, Maria and Denise continue to create a superb total experience for the diners. If you haven't eaten here, you're missing an important part of life.Special Features:
- Great Food & ServiceMichelesbVIPDined on 10/27/2014I took my children to dinner with me to this restaurant. All of our meals were very good. The caprese salad was excellent! Although they don't have an official kids menu, they did have options for kids meals....chicken finger and fries, fettuccine Alfredo (plain or with chicken), fried shrimp. The only down side was that the kids meals were each $12.95. A bit steep for some pasta and chicken strips. $90 for a meal with two kids is a bit pricey. The food and service were very good though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dad's special dinnerGrandgizzardDined on 10/26/2014My father recently suffered a stroke and left him fearful of flying...we convinced him to travel to Houston and his one wish was to go to New Orleans for a few days. While looking at different restaurants online, he noticed one of his favorite veal dishes on their menu. Although it wasn't offered on their daily menu that day, the chef personally came out to greet him and prepared it for him perfectly. The wait staff was superb...my daughter ordered their pork tenderloin and it was fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food not amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014Good Italian food coming from an Italian Had bolagnase a little too spicy for my taste and experience with dish Good for groupsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Couldn't hear a 5OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/24/2014Giovanni's food was delicious, the opera music delightful, the wait staff attentive but the noise level killed the experience. The restaurant was beautifully done except there are too many hard surfaces tha reflect the sound. I felt I had too almost yell to carry on a conversation because the noise of everybody else talking was magnified by the decor. This is not the place for a romantic dinner but definitely a place for good foodSpecial Features:
- Great Food and ServicewillcomebackDined on 10/20/2014We have visited New Orleans on 10 different occasions and never dined at Café Giovanni. This was our loss. Our portabella mushroom and alligator mini meatballs appetizers were delicious. The Pesce Venetian and VooDoo Shrimp were both excellent. Our server was both friendly and helpful. A great dining experience.Special Features:
- Good food and good serviceMargradDined on 10/18/2014I booked early and liked how quite it was. The caprese salad was the best I have ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/16/2014What more could you ask for.....great food, lovely surroundings and an adorable server! And the music topped off the evening!Special Features:
- food was greatkarenDined on 10/16/2014Loved the food and the opera singer. Our server seemed to lack the experience that would make this a 5 star experience. He seemed impatient while the restaurant was only half full, taking away plates while others at the table were still eating, rolling eyes when an older individual at our table took his time to decide on an entree. Fortunately the food was very good, especially the duck. 4 star food, 1 star service.Special Features:
- Pass it ByGodfatherDined on 10/15/2014Despite having reservations we were seated in the bar area instead of the main dining room which had plenty of tables available. Dress code requires collared shirts and shoes which I called to confirm however many patrons wore shorts, flip flops or sneakers and t shirts. Food was pizza parlor quality except for the garlic bread which seemed to use raw green garlic which is still in my lungs. I had the penne with chicken, shrimp and sausage which was fine but no better than I could get at most pizza parlors except three times the price.
- Wonderful eveninglisabVIPDined on 10/12/2014From the moment we arrived, our server Sarah, took great care of our group of ten. Everyone loved their meals which ranged from chicken parm to past jambalaya. The tiramisu and cheesecake we shared was amazing. looking forward to another Greta experience at Cafe GiovanniSpecial Features:
- 3rd time not a charmSonocekDined on 10/10/2014This was the 3rd time I have been to Giovanni's. Until this trip It was one of my favorite places to visit when in New Orleans. The service was mediocre at best. Waiter appeared to either be new or out of his element altogether. Had to ask for bread, and garnishment for drinks, such as lime for a vodka and tonic and Olives for a martini..... Never even inquired about...... and the spaghetti and meatballs were not up to Chef Dukes usual standards....Actually tasted fishy..... this was my favorite dish....... I brought colleagues there as I have bragged on the quality of food and overall experience for a couple of years.... left embarrassed....
- Impeccable foodWeLiveToEatVIPDined on 9/26/2014However, the singers were quite loud - loud enough to not hear my dinner date at the two top table. Food cannot be topped.Special Features:
- Can't wait to go back!JambGirlDined on 9/26/2014We had a party of 6 locals and Cafe Giovanni served us a full night of entertainment, fabulous food and drinks. The service is superior, they make sure you feel welcomed and have a great time. And you can tell the food is prepared fresh with the finest ingredients. I got the LA seafood pasta and it was full of fresh shrimp, oysters and big bites of crabmeat served with a delicious cream sauce. Highly recommend to locals and tourists for a one of a kind Sicilian/New Orleans dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lisajoVIPDined on 9/25/2014They had a private party in the entire restaurant, so we had to sit in the bar area. We were warned ahead of time. We got to meet Chef Duke and he even gave me the recipe for voodo shrimp. It was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Atmosphere and Good FoodjulieVIPDined on 9/19/2014Decent food every time and fun atmosphere. The opera singers are a unique touch at dinner time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing !OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/19/2014Very unique ! Great food ! Opera singer is there Wednesday-Friday ! Must go one day when she is there !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luv2binNOluv2binNODined on 9/19/2014Our dinner reservations were at 7:30. No table was available and we were asked if we minded waiting 20 minutes as they were overbooked due to a wedding party. 20 minutes seemed reasonable, however, we were kept waiting until 8:45. l hour and 15 minutes. By the time we were seated, the opera singers were almost finished for the evening. It was my husbands Birthday celebration and we were very disappointed. The waiter was very attentive. The food was mediocre Italian at best. The dinning room had stacked chairs all around us and baskets of flatware on the floor. It seemed rather unkempt.
- OMG! OPERA!SpinMDDined on 9/12/2014Well, if you LOVE opera, this is your place. If you are like us, and you hate it.... The singers and noise level in this place was HORRIBLE (although the singers are I am sure talented, their talent is lost on us!). I would not recommend this restaurant unless you want LOTS of NOISE and don't want to hear your table mates, AND you LOVE opera. Food was good, but did not outweigh the unpleasantness of the environment. Service was quite good, and the waiter was very empathetic to our complaints about the noise and singing. There are apparently nights without singing, so look into the schedule before going (if at all). Nothing here for us to come back to.
- The service was great and the foodRAJLDined on 9/12/2014was very tasty. The dish was a nice portion. The Banana foster bread pudding was excellant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice evening.TonyDined on 9/12/2014My wife and I had dinner on a Friday night during Restaurant Week. From the warm and friendly greeting at the door, through the cheerful and efficient service, the excellently presented and absolutely fabulous food, the evening was more than we had hoped for. Everything on the menu sounded so delicious it made it hard to settle on just one dish. We'll have to come back to try more.Special Features:
- Good food, attentive serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2014Overall, our dining experience was high-quality without being extraordinary. The food was good. The portions were modest, without being skimpy or overwhelming. The service was extremely friendly and attentive without being intrusive. The only thing unexpected was that all diners at the table had to participate in the restaurant week menu for ANYONE to participate in the restaurant week menu. We had a table of 5, and all diners did participate, but that was an odd requirement, in my experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for dinnerMeh606Dined on 9/11/2014The food was good. The ambiance of the restaurant was good. We had a group of 7. They were very accomading. Food came out pretty quickly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My experience at Cafe GiovanniLucieDined on 9/11/2014I had a lovely time at Cafe Giovanni. The food was excellent and the service impeccable. We had a singer in the restaurant, it was nice but it was too loud. Overall I would recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JandLdiningoutJandLdiningoutDined on 9/10/2014We love the ambiance of the restaurant and the Opera singers (check for nights they perform). We took advantage of the set 3 course meal & the food was excellent. We enjoyed our dining experience & will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatDined on 9/10/2014Excellent food service and overall dining experience!Special Features:
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/9/2014The service from everyone was amazing, friendly, attentive. Food portions were perfect, the taste was exquisite and the serve was on point. - thank you for everythingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef Duke strikesOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/6/2014This was by far the best experience from walking in the door to walking out that I have ever had. The food was out of this world great!! You must make plans to eat here or your losing out of one of the best resturants New Orleans has to offer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok restkarfistaDined on 9/5/2014Got there early, lady seating us seemed mad, we got seated on what seem to be an old backyard, looking up there was a balcony full of empty boxes and other stuff ( not pleasant at all). Food was ok, not what I expected for that price range( ate much better at other local rest. ) Our waitress was ok, pleasant. Desert was a disaster bread pudding , with a plate full of pancake sause...
- Coolinary DelightOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014As usual, Cafe Giovanni was excellent (complete with a table visit from Chef Duke)! Decided to check out the popular August Coolinary menu and all of us left happy. Highly recommend the spicy seafood Caprese appetizer - those who didn't order it wished they had. Always a pleasure!Special Features:
- Angel RodriguezLove2eatanddrinkinolaDined on 8/30/2014Cozy and quiet. Food and wine were very good. Good and prompt service.Special Features:
- cooinary delightTigerTideDined on 8/30/2014Waiter was great-made good recommendations, personable and not overbearing. Got to restaurant just before opening and they were very welcoming. Sat us right away and did not make us wait. Food was delicious. Would definitely recommend it to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Coolinary ExperienceJandLdiningoutDined on 8/29/2014The restaurant has a wonderful ambiance & the Coolinary Menu (set menu & price) had a great selection. 4 couples met for dinner on Friday night. It was a 1st experience for 5 of the 8. Our server was knowledgeable about the menu, patient with all of our questions, accommodating for the person with food allergies and smiled throughout the dinner. The Oysters Giovanni have a great presentation & were delicious. The Duck was outstanding, however the Beef Medallions were cooked perfectly & extremely tender. For those who had the Seafood Pasta bowl, had a very nice serving & enjoyed it thoroughly. The Tiramisu & Bread Pudding were delicious. We also enjoyed the Opera singers which was a nice surprise. Everyone enjoyed the dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Professional yet unpretentiousDefrostedVenusDined on 8/29/2014I had the prix fixe dinner here as part of the "Coolinary New Orleans" promotion. This restaurant allows people to sample their most popular dishes via the prix fixe menu (other places will not include their signature dishes, hoping that you come in for the promotion but then order from the regular menu). I had the award-winning fried oysters, and, while it was well cooked, and presented, it did not appeal to me personally. The five sauces served with it include kiwi and mango and I am not into sweet, tropical flavors. I had the duck, which was outstanding. The service was friendly but not chatty. They worked for our tips by providing good service, not by flattering or entertaining us. I recommend to anyone visiting NOLA to eat there.Special Features:
- Chef Duke rocks!YupudmbDined on 8/23/2014Anniversary dinner with my wife - food and service superb! Diverse menu with choices for any taste plus the Chef will certainly accommodate your every need. Highly recommended!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice findBacchusDined on 8/23/2014We ate there during Coolinary for the month of August. The staff was great !!! The food was awesome !!Special Features: