117 Decatur Street
New Orleans, LA 70130Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafegiovanni.com/
- Phone: 5045292154
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Duke LoCicero
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Wheelchair Access
- Entertainment: Live Music Entertainment Provided by Encore Wednesday, Thursday & Friday Evenings
A word from Cafe Giovanni
Cafe Giovanni is a 4 star fine dining restaurant voted winner of the Wine Spectator Award. Duke LoCicero was voted the American Culinary Federation's Chef of the Year, New Orleans chapter. "Where Magazine" named Cafe Giovanni the restaurant with the "Best Ambiance in New Orleans."Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Cafe Giovanni - Best Restaurants in French Quarter ›
Cafe Giovanni reviews from OpenTable diners
65 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (37)romantic (35)fit for foodies (27)good for groups (22)neighborhood gem (16)notable wine list (15)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (3)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Coolinary DelightOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014As usual, Cafe Giovanni was excellent (complete with a table visit from Chef Duke)! Decided to check out the popular August Coolinary menu and all of us left happy. Highly recommend the spicy seafood Caprese appetizer - those who didn't order it wished they had. Always a pleasure!Special Features:
- Angel RodriguezOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Cozy and quiet. Food and wine were very good. Good and prompt service.Special Features:
- cooinary delightOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/30/2014Waiter was great-made good recommendations, personable and not overbearing. Got to restaurant just before opening and they were very welcoming. Sat us right away and did not make us wait. Food was delicious. Would definitely recommend it to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Coolinary ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014The restaurant has a wonderful ambiance & the Coolinary Menu (set menu & price) had a great selection. 4 couples met for dinner on Friday night. It was a 1st experience for 5 of the 8. Our server was knowledgeable about the menu, patient with all of our questions, accommodating for the person with food allergies and smiled throughout the dinner. The Oysters Giovanni have a great presentation & were delicious. The Duck was outstanding, however the Beef Medallions were cooked perfectly & extremely tender. For those who had the Seafood Pasta bowl, had a very nice serving & enjoyed it thoroughly. The Tiramisu & Bread Pudding were delicious. We also enjoyed the Opera singers which was a nice surprise. Everyone enjoyed the dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Professional yet unpretentiousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014I had the prix fixe dinner here as part of the "Coolinary New Orleans" promotion. This restaurant allows people to sample their most popular dishes via the prix fixe menu (other places will not include their signature dishes, hoping that you come in for the promotion but then order from the regular menu). I had the award-winning fried oysters, and, while it was well cooked, and presented, it did not appeal to me personally. The five sauces served with it include kiwi and mango and I am not into sweet, tropical flavors. I had the duck, which was outstanding. The service was friendly but not chatty. They worked for our tips by providing good service, not by flattering or entertaining us. I recommend to anyone visiting NOLA to eat there.Special Features:
- Chef Duke rocks!YupudmbDined on 8/23/2014Anniversary dinner with my wife - food and service superb! Diverse menu with choices for any taste plus the Chef will certainly accommodate your every need. Highly recommended!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice findBacchusDined on 8/23/2014We ate there during Coolinary for the month of August. The staff was great !!! The food was awesome !!Special Features:
- WILL BE BACK ! LOVE THE FOODjamienolaDined on 8/23/2014My first time there and will be back. I love the food and the location. Parking was easy and I love sitting by the window. Had a great time there for my 7th wedding anniversary. The staff was nice, and fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- italian spot near french quarterSwk5VIPDined on 8/22/2014Good spot a couple of blocks from the touristy area. Food was very good and fresh, and service was attentive. A/C a little too high (granted it was a high 90's day), and it was quite dark, but enjoyed it a lot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- coolinaryNeworleansDined on 8/22/2014We dined Friday night and had a bad experience with the waiter and the preparation of the food...need better service oriented waiters and responsible food preparation
- not what i rememberthreeormoreDined on 8/16/2014thought the food was good but the ambience as well as the bar area just not what I remembered.. definitely a couple steps back from past visits
- SeavetteVIPDined on 8/16/2014Try the "Feed Me" tasting menu---it's great! While noisy when crowded, the food and the service more than makes up for it.Special Features:
- The best Filet Mignon that I hav!gingerhammerfoodninjasDined on 8/15/2014The best dining experience that we have ever had in NOLA! The service was 1st rate. And the food??!! PERFECTION!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Chef Duke!oddiesgirlDined on 8/14/2014My friends and I had a fun and delicious night out at Cafe Giovanni! The service was great, the food amazing, and the entertainment spectacular! If you haven't tried it, you must!Special Features:
- MichaelVIPDined on 8/14/2014Loved the food and service... Great to be part of the New Orleans culinary experience!Special Features:
- It was amazing!AimeeDined on 8/12/2014Cafe Guovanni was amazing! The food, the service, the atmosphere was all on point! The food especially was just melt in you mouth good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ralphmaxDined on 8/9/2014Manicotti, stuffed- unable to tell it was manicotti; salad bland: had filet- tough & undercooked - bland; Possibly overcrowded but will not return.Special Features:
- Well....FoodCrankDined on 8/9/2014The restaurant's menu offering on "The Coolinary" website states the menu is "not valid for groups". While there was two of us that was not a problem as my wife wasn't inclined to have that menu. When we were seated at the restaurant the "The Coolinary" menu stated that the entire table had to participate, i.e. order from that menu or else à la carte was the only option. A generous interpretation of this blatant contradiction would be that somebody made a mistake (and/or doesn't under stand the common Webster definition of "group"). Another interpretation would be that this is the restaurant version of bait and switch.
- Good food, good ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2014Had a nice time at Cafe Giovanni. It was really loud inside, though. Almost as loud as a rock concert. It was impossible to have conversation at the table.Special Features:
- MuchMoNOLAMuchMoNOLADined on 8/1/2014Chef Duke and his staff are friendly and hospitable. The roaming ladies singing opera make this a unique and enjoyable dining experience. And the food... everything that we had at our table was very tasty and beautifully presented on the plate. The Oysters Giovani with 5 sauces is a work of art on a plate. We were entertaining a good friend for her birthday, and she loved the experience. The staff were attentive and friendly. Chef Duke works the dining room like he is entertaining you in his home. I had a hard time choosing from the many enticing options. Can't wait to go back for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth itDebRVIPDined on 7/25/2014With so many wonderful restaurants to try in New Orleans I wouldn't recommend wasting a dinner here. The food is nothing special. Everything else is fine, the service, the opera singers, and the atmosphere. The food tasted like it was from a can. Very dissappointing.Special Features:
- Wonderful dining experienceBobbyCDined on 7/19/2014We had a table of 3, easy reservation using Open table, seating immediately, and drinks were promptly served. We each had different appetizers (Oyster Giovanni, ?Crab salad in a tomato, Fried green tomato), entrees (Grilled chop, Veal special with this crazy good beurre blanc sauce, Fish special), and desserts (tiramisu, chocolate mousse thing, bread pudding) . We just had to share a bit. Everything was truly very good. Cafe Giovanni is really a gem in a city of great restaurants.Special Features:
- DisappointingFloridafolksDined on 7/16/2014Of the four diners who went that evening, only one thought his meal was good. The other three thought there was a lot of room for improvement. Two had a pasta dish that was dry due to a shortage of Alfredo sauce. There was no dinner salad included or offered with the pasta dishes. Vocalist was too loud, place was noisy. Fairly pricy for what you get.
- Not worth the priceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014My boyfriend and I decided to try a nice place for our last dinner in New Orleans. We read the reviews that raved about the food, atmosphere, service, etc, and decided to try it out. When we arrived, our waiter seemed very out of it, and didn't seem to know anything about the food. I ordered the tuna steak that was on special that day, and when I asked how it was cooked, he looked at me like I was speaking another language. The food was alright, nothing spectacular. For the price, I would have expected the wait staff to at least know what they're talking about. The atmosphere was bland, and a table across from us seemed to have just walked off Bourbon, annoying everyone. How is the restaurant Zagat rated?????
- Great Food and PresentationsBurntleyDined on 6/28/2014Food is great! We do the Let Chef feed us deal. Gives you a taste of everything Duke does. It's awesome.Special Features:
- What a wonderful surprise!LocalizedVIPDined on 6/28/2014As locals, we found ourselves downtown, hungry, with 3 kids and no reservation. We were able to get right in at Giovanni's, but of course that made us even more skeptical about a place we'd never been and never really heard of. What a wonderful surprise. From the drinks (great bartender), to the oyster appetizer (we ordered a second), to the kids' spaghetti and meatballs (which were amazing), to our entrees -- veal with a caper butter sauce and the fish of the day, sheepshead with crab and a lemon better sauce. We loved the place, it's history, the many awards it's won, the storied chef and owner and most of all the fact that our little, foodie family has found such a wonderful addition to its list of exquisite local restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner all the way around.fromPhiladelphiaDined on 6/23/2014We didn't know how good this restaurant would be, but the four of us were happy we went. Outstanding food, attentive server. Will definitely come back the next time I'm in town. Thank goodness that Open Table was there to steer me in the right direction.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible dinner as usual!!!AveryleaDined on 6/21/2014The award winning Oysters Giovanni is to die for. I think it is one of the best things I have ever eaten. If you come to New Orleans and do not try it, your loss. My recommendation is to order your own because I won't share my Oysters Giovanni with anyone!!! The crab shrimp and avocado salad was great and I wish I had order two bread puddings with the Banana Foster sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great anniversary find!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/19/2014Liked most things about this place. The food was excellent and the prices in line with similar establishments in the area. The specials for the day were printed instead of just being rattled off by the wait staff. And, the special was delicious! The service was attentive. There is only one negative we could find. While we enjoyed the piano playing and the singer, it was loud enough to be distracting for ordinary conversation.Special Features:
- Great FoodMikeGDined on 6/13/2014Attending a cooking class at this restaurant 2 years ago and knew I would need to be back for dinner some day. Well we went back and the food was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting experienceChachaDined on 6/11/2014Waiter friendly. Good sense of humor. Very knowledgeable. Beautiful plating. Unique atmosphere. Tried six course tasting menu. Bolognese outstanding other items okay. Opera singer's voice was beautiful but most of music was piano playing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointedTriniVIPDined on 6/5/2014Great food, ambiance. Service professional and friendly. Sarah our server - outstanding friendly yet professional service. Opera - entertainment from beautiful voices. Of course will return. I always recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingStephenDined on 6/3/2014This our third trip in three years. It does no disappoint. The food is outstanding as is the service.Special Features:
- Good find...b4ebethDined on 6/2/2014Found this place using Opentable. We wanted something close to where we were. Very surprised by this gem. On the street, we might have walked right by it. Delicious italian food in the heart of NOLA. I would only recommend upgrading the bread basket. The standard offering wasn't flavorful, but we saw another table order bread with cheese and it looked appetizing. Also, it appeared to be empty when we walked into the bar area (it was a Monday night), but behind the curtain was a full restaurant of people that were enjoying this place. We would return and recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingElderVIPDined on 5/31/2014Booked reservation based on Web site ref to opera singers but site failed to say entertainment was only Wed, Thur, and Fri. Food was forgettable. Eggplant was raw in spots and obviously heated in a microwave. Bread pudding was two slices of bread with some type of sauce on top that in no way resembled bread pudding. Server kept pushing us to order when we really wanted to relax and enjoy a pre-dinner cocktail. This place survives on people coming only once - tourists. I doubt if anyone ever goes there more than once. We won't.
- Italian in NolaMontrealerMVIPDined on 5/30/2014Nice bread basket. Hubby had a glass of Pino Grigio. I had a rasberry lemonade cocktail. Starters were fried green tomatoes and eggplant locicero both very good. I had duck breast with shrimp; hubby had voodoo shrimp. Both dishes very good but mains arrived before appetizer dishes were finished and cleared away. Cook, waitress and manager acknowledged and apologized for mistake but did not compensate in any way Neither of us had room for desert. After a week of Cajan/Creole food Italian(even NOLA style) was a nice change. Service was friendly but too fast. Two opera singers and a pianist were entertaining. Restaurant is pretty. If you go tell them you're not in a hurry before you start.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/30/2014Everything was fantastic. We only make it once a year since we have small kids and live on the Northshore. It is the most underrated restaurant in New Orleans.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TravellerEatsVIPDined on 5/16/2014Service was mediocre for a Zaget rated restaurant. Food was fair.
- Great spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/16/2014Went with my mother before a show and loved it. Opera singing was terrific only to be outdone by the food. Van get loud with all the people talking and music;however, they have a small room upfront that could be much more appropriate for an intimate setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice and sweetThefooddoctorDined on 5/10/2014Chef Duke made a round to great all the customers to see how things were. Nice low lit atmosphere. Very romantic. Food came out very fast. Personally my only complaint is that it's an Italian restaurant that doesn't serve calamari.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 462 reviews are from the Cafe Giovanni reviews archive.