117 Decatur Street
New Orleans, LA 70130Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafegiovanni.com/
- Phone: 5045292154
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Duke LoCicero
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Wheelchair Access
- Entertainment: Live Music Entertainment Provided by Encore Wednesday, Thursday & Friday Evenings
A word from Cafe Giovanni
Cafe Giovanni is a 4 star fine dining restaurant voted winner of the Wine Spectator Award. Duke LoCicero was voted the American Culinary Federation's Chef of the Year, New Orleans chapter. "Where Magazine" named Cafe Giovanni the restaurant with the "Best Ambiance in New Orleans."Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cafe Giovanni reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (47)fit for foodies (39)romantic (37)good for groups (26)notable wine list (19)neighborhood gem (16)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (4)hot spot (3)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Impeccable foodWeLiveToEatVIPDined on 9/26/2014However, the singers were quite loud - loud enough to not hear my dinner date at the two top table. Food cannot be topped.Special Features:
- Can't wait to go back!JambGirlDined on 9/26/2014We had a party of 6 locals and Cafe Giovanni served us a full night of entertainment, fabulous food and drinks. The service is superior, they make sure you feel welcomed and have a great time. And you can tell the food is prepared fresh with the finest ingredients. I got the LA seafood pasta and it was full of fresh shrimp, oysters and big bites of crabmeat served with a delicious cream sauce. Highly recommend to locals and tourists for a one of a kind Sicilian/New Orleans dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Atmosphere and Good FoodjulieVIPDined on 9/19/2014Decent food every time and fun atmosphere. The opera singers are a unique touch at dinner time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing !OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/19/2014Very unique ! Great food ! Opera singer is there Wednesday-Friday ! Must go one day when she is there !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luv2binNOluv2binNODined on 9/19/2014Our dinner reservations were at 7:30. No table was available and we were asked if we minded waiting 20 minutes as they were overbooked due to a wedding party. 20 minutes seemed reasonable, however, we were kept waiting until 8:45. l hour and 15 minutes. By the time we were seated, the opera singers were almost finished for the evening. It was my husbands Birthday celebration and we were very disappointed. The waiter was very attentive. The food was mediocre Italian at best. The dinning room had stacked chairs all around us and baskets of flatware on the floor. It seemed rather unkempt.
- OMG! OPERA!SpinMDDined on 9/12/2014Well, if you LOVE opera, this is your place. If you are like us, and you hate it.... The singers and noise level in this place was HORRIBLE (although the singers are I am sure talented, their talent is lost on us!). I would not recommend this restaurant unless you want LOTS of NOISE and don't want to hear your table mates, AND you LOVE opera. Food was good, but did not outweigh the unpleasantness of the environment. Service was quite good, and the waiter was very empathetic to our complaints about the noise and singing. There are apparently nights without singing, so look into the schedule before going (if at all). Nothing here for us to come back to.
- The service was great and the foodRAJLDined on 9/12/2014was very tasty. The dish was a nice portion. The Banana foster bread pudding was excellant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice evening.TonyDined on 9/12/2014My wife and I had dinner on a Friday night during Restaurant Week. From the warm and friendly greeting at the door, through the cheerful and efficient service, the excellently presented and absolutely fabulous food, the evening was more than we had hoped for. Everything on the menu sounded so delicious it made it hard to settle on just one dish. We'll have to come back to try more.Special Features:
- Good food, attentive serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2014Overall, our dining experience was high-quality without being extraordinary. The food was good. The portions were modest, without being skimpy or overwhelming. The service was extremely friendly and attentive without being intrusive. The only thing unexpected was that all diners at the table had to participate in the restaurant week menu for ANYONE to participate in the restaurant week menu. We had a table of 5, and all diners did participate, but that was an odd requirement, in my experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for dinnerMeh606Dined on 9/11/2014The food was good. The ambiance of the restaurant was good. We had a group of 7. They were very accomading. Food came out pretty quickly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My experience at Cafe GiovanniLucieDined on 9/11/2014I had a lovely time at Cafe Giovanni. The food was excellent and the service impeccable. We had a singer in the restaurant, it was nice but it was too loud. Overall I would recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JandLdiningoutJandLdiningoutDined on 9/10/2014We love the ambiance of the restaurant and the Opera singers (check for nights they perform). We took advantage of the set 3 course meal & the food was excellent. We enjoyed our dining experience & will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatDined on 9/10/2014Excellent food service and overall dining experience!Special Features:
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/9/2014The service from everyone was amazing, friendly, attentive. Food portions were perfect, the taste was exquisite and the serve was on point. - thank you for everythingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef Duke strikesOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/6/2014This was by far the best experience from walking in the door to walking out that I have ever had. The food was out of this world great!! You must make plans to eat here or your losing out of one of the best resturants New Orleans has to offer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok restkarfistaDined on 9/5/2014Got there early, lady seating us seemed mad, we got seated on what seem to be an old backyard, looking up there was a balcony full of empty boxes and other stuff ( not pleasant at all). Food was ok, not what I expected for that price range( ate much better at other local rest. ) Our waitress was ok, pleasant. Desert was a disaster bread pudding , with a plate full of pancake sause...
- Coolinary DelightOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014As usual, Cafe Giovanni was excellent (complete with a table visit from Chef Duke)! Decided to check out the popular August Coolinary menu and all of us left happy. Highly recommend the spicy seafood Caprese appetizer - those who didn't order it wished they had. Always a pleasure!Special Features:
- Angel RodriguezLove2eatanddrinkinolaDined on 8/30/2014Cozy and quiet. Food and wine were very good. Good and prompt service.Special Features:
- cooinary delightTigerTideDined on 8/30/2014Waiter was great-made good recommendations, personable and not overbearing. Got to restaurant just before opening and they were very welcoming. Sat us right away and did not make us wait. Food was delicious. Would definitely recommend it to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Coolinary ExperienceJandLdiningoutDined on 8/29/2014The restaurant has a wonderful ambiance & the Coolinary Menu (set menu & price) had a great selection. 4 couples met for dinner on Friday night. It was a 1st experience for 5 of the 8. Our server was knowledgeable about the menu, patient with all of our questions, accommodating for the person with food allergies and smiled throughout the dinner. The Oysters Giovanni have a great presentation & were delicious. The Duck was outstanding, however the Beef Medallions were cooked perfectly & extremely tender. For those who had the Seafood Pasta bowl, had a very nice serving & enjoyed it thoroughly. The Tiramisu & Bread Pudding were delicious. We also enjoyed the Opera singers which was a nice surprise. Everyone enjoyed the dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Professional yet unpretentiousDefrostedVenusDined on 8/29/2014I had the prix fixe dinner here as part of the "Coolinary New Orleans" promotion. This restaurant allows people to sample their most popular dishes via the prix fixe menu (other places will not include their signature dishes, hoping that you come in for the promotion but then order from the regular menu). I had the award-winning fried oysters, and, while it was well cooked, and presented, it did not appeal to me personally. The five sauces served with it include kiwi and mango and I am not into sweet, tropical flavors. I had the duck, which was outstanding. The service was friendly but not chatty. They worked for our tips by providing good service, not by flattering or entertaining us. I recommend to anyone visiting NOLA to eat there.Special Features:
- Chef Duke rocks!YupudmbDined on 8/23/2014Anniversary dinner with my wife - food and service superb! Diverse menu with choices for any taste plus the Chef will certainly accommodate your every need. Highly recommended!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice findBacchusDined on 8/23/2014We ate there during Coolinary for the month of August. The staff was great !!! The food was awesome !!Special Features:
- WILL BE BACK ! LOVE THE FOODjamienolaDined on 8/23/2014My first time there and will be back. I love the food and the location. Parking was easy and I love sitting by the window. Had a great time there for my 7th wedding anniversary. The staff was nice, and fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- italian spot near french quarterSwk5VIPDined on 8/22/2014Good spot a couple of blocks from the touristy area. Food was very good and fresh, and service was attentive. A/C a little too high (granted it was a high 90's day), and it was quite dark, but enjoyed it a lot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- coolinaryNeworleansDined on 8/22/2014We dined Friday night and had a bad experience with the waiter and the preparation of the food...need better service oriented waiters and responsible food preparation
- not what i rememberthreeormoreDined on 8/16/2014thought the food was good but the ambience as well as the bar area just not what I remembered.. definitely a couple steps back from past visits
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/16/2014A most enjoyable experience, as expected. A return visit is on my "must" list. Beef medallions, on summer special, were cooked to perfection. Hope that will be on regular menu. Loved to see "The Duke" making visits to the dining room to make sure all is well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeavetteVIPDined on 8/16/2014Try the "Feed Me" tasting menu---it's great! While noisy when crowded, the food and the service more than makes up for it.Special Features:
- The best Filet Mignon that I hav!gingerhammerfoodninjasDined on 8/15/2014The best dining experience that we have ever had in NOLA! The service was 1st rate. And the food??!! PERFECTION!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Chef Duke!oddiesgirlDined on 8/14/2014My friends and I had a fun and delicious night out at Cafe Giovanni! The service was great, the food amazing, and the entertainment spectacular! If you haven't tried it, you must!Special Features:
- MichaelVIPDined on 8/14/2014Loved the food and service... Great to be part of the New Orleans culinary experience!Special Features:
- It was amazing!AimeeDined on 8/12/2014Cafe Guovanni was amazing! The food, the service, the atmosphere was all on point! The food especially was just melt in you mouth good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ralphmaxDined on 8/9/2014Manicotti, stuffed- unable to tell it was manicotti; salad bland: had filet- tough & undercooked - bland; Possibly overcrowded but will not return.Special Features:
- Well....FoodCrankDined on 8/9/2014The restaurant's menu offering on "The Coolinary" website states the menu is "not valid for groups". While there was two of us that was not a problem as my wife wasn't inclined to have that menu. When we were seated at the restaurant the "The Coolinary" menu stated that the entire table had to participate, i.e. order from that menu or else à la carte was the only option. A generous interpretation of this blatant contradiction would be that somebody made a mistake (and/or doesn't under stand the common Webster definition of "group"). Another interpretation would be that this is the restaurant version of bait and switch.
- Good food, good ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2014Had a nice time at Cafe Giovanni. It was really loud inside, though. Almost as loud as a rock concert. It was impossible to have conversation at the table.Special Features:
- MuchMoNOLAMuchMoNOLADined on 8/1/2014Chef Duke and his staff are friendly and hospitable. The roaming ladies singing opera make this a unique and enjoyable dining experience. And the food... everything that we had at our table was very tasty and beautifully presented on the plate. The Oysters Giovani with 5 sauces is a work of art on a plate. We were entertaining a good friend for her birthday, and she loved the experience. The staff were attentive and friendly. Chef Duke works the dining room like he is entertaining you in his home. I had a hard time choosing from the many enticing options. Can't wait to go back for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth itDebRVIPDined on 7/25/2014With so many wonderful restaurants to try in New Orleans I wouldn't recommend wasting a dinner here. The food is nothing special. Everything else is fine, the service, the opera singers, and the atmosphere. The food tasted like it was from a can. Very dissappointing.Special Features:
- Wonderful dining experienceBobbyCDined on 7/19/2014We had a table of 3, easy reservation using Open table, seating immediately, and drinks were promptly served. We each had different appetizers (Oyster Giovanni, ?Crab salad in a tomato, Fried green tomato), entrees (Grilled chop, Veal special with this crazy good beurre blanc sauce, Fish special), and desserts (tiramisu, chocolate mousse thing, bread pudding) . We just had to share a bit. Everything was truly very good. Cafe Giovanni is really a gem in a city of great restaurants.Special Features:
- DisappointingFloridafolksDined on 7/16/2014Of the four diners who went that evening, only one thought his meal was good. The other three thought there was a lot of room for improvement. Two had a pasta dish that was dry due to a shortage of Alfredo sauce. There was no dinner salad included or offered with the pasta dishes. Vocalist was too loud, place was noisy. Fairly pricy for what you get.