1952 West Gray
Houston, TX 77019Neighborhood:
ChinesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.cafeginger.net/
- Phone: 7135284288
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese, Chinese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Cafe Ginger does provide off-site catering. We cater everything from office luncheons for 20 people to private dinner parties for 100 guests. Please contact us by calling 713-528-4288 for any special requests.
A word from Cafe Ginger
If you are looking for an authentic Asian cuisine, then Cafe Ginger is your place. Our ambiance and decor will transform you to an exotic place in the Orient while you sit back and enjoy our signature dishes. We offer authentic Chinese dishes such as Beijing duck, steamed Chilean sea bass, and lobster tail with scallion. Our restaurant also includes a sophisticated and comprehensive wine bar where you may order wine by the glass or bottle. Although we specialize in Chinese cuisine, our Japanese dishes are just as good. Not only do we have an outstanding sushi bar, but our sushi chefs are happy to create unique specials to satisfy the toughest critique. All of our food is prepared fresh daily and we use the freshest produce and finest ingredients. We are happy to invite you to enjoy a unique and memorable experience at Cafe Ginger.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Cafe Ginger - Best Restaurants in River Oaks ›
Cafe Ginger reviews from OpenTable diners
35 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (20)neighborhood gem (14)good for groups (13)romantic (12)special occasion (11)fit for foodies (5)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (3)notable wine list (3)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Excellent!Amalina52VIPDined on 8/23/2014We always have a good meal when we go to Cafe Ginger. Very consistent and accommadating to us since we had only 30-45 minutes to eat before seeing a movie across the street. Our ho to restaurant especially when in a hurry!!!Special Features:
- Skip the lunch specialPaulie1VIPDined on 8/22/2014Skip it. Service was slow and we never got our soup. Dinner is another story. We enjoy going to CG for dinner. Service and food is always good. However, lunch is a no no!
- Great Food!Sws1jctDined on 8/20/2014As always our dinner at Cafe Ginger was fabulous. Our go to place for Chinese.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for business lunchHouTexRunnerDined on 8/13/2014Quiet enough to carry on business discussion without having to speak above a normal tone. Service is always excellent and the food outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MrPaulie1VIPDined on 8/7/2014What a great place! Food is fantastic! We have been back several times and always try to eat different things. You know that P.F. place, well this is just as good, if not better, and you do not have to wait in line for a table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good choice for vegetarian options.kaykrenDined on 8/4/2014We have eaten her many times and love it. We had a vegetarian friend visiting from out of town and Cafe Ginger was the perfect place for the three of us to dine. We enjoyed the Tangy & Spicy Chicken while our friend had numerous options to chose from. We were very happy and enjoyed catching up over a leisurely, quiet dinner. We were there almost three hours and never felt rushed. We also enjoyed the pineapple sorbet and key lime pie for dessert.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best upscale Chinese food in town.unclejonathanDined on 8/2/2014I have been frequenting this restaurant for years. The best upscale Chinese restaurant in town. White table cloth service. Superb wine list and sushi bar. Very reasonable prices. Spectacular decor'.Special Features:
- When you think of Chinese food...WorkingLunchVIPDined on 7/25/2014...their menu satisfies. Great lunch special, good with groups. Amazing decor! Love this restaurant!Special Features:
- Gorgeous setting and great foodCindy8000VIPDined on 7/21/2014I've been eating at Cafe Ginger for several years. The food is always delicious and the venue is lovely. It's the most unusual high style Chinese spot in town, and the lunch specials are great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best chinese yetfriendsVIPDined on 7/7/20144 of us dined recently at Cafe Ginger and we were all impressed with the menu. We all shared 4 different plates and loved it all! Definitely will return.Special Features:
- Cafe Ginger - a new go-to for LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/17/2014I had the sesame chicken and found the food to be just right. The lunch came with choice of soup, spring roll or similar item, and your choice of rice. The decor gives the impress of a much more expensive restaurant for a very reasonable price. The service was fast and attentive. The location is a very good lunch half-way point to meet up for Galleria-area and downtown workers. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- DubbsatehereDined on 6/14/2014Great atmosphere, great service and good food with amazing Vodka selection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and reasonable pricesJanFDined on 5/31/2014We went to cafe Ginger for our 20 year anniversary. The food was good (the deserts not to special, just ice cream "out of the box") and the service good. The atmosphere is relaxed. Overall a nice place but nothing special; a good place for a regular night out or dinner. I did put in the reservation that we had diner for a special occasion, but this was not picked up by the restaurant (just a congratulation or so would have been nice). Will come here again to have a meal, however not for a special occasion...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cafe gingerNeneDined on 5/31/2014The food was fair. Not like it used to be. The quality of food was also, fair. The menu has changed and the sushi was okay. Nothing was outstanding. However, the people were nice who served and greeted.Special Features:
- Good Chinese foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/26/2014This was a great evening choice that worked out for the best. The food and presentation were great .Special Features:
- The following 83 reviews are from the Cafe Ginger reviews archive.
- Great, staple Chinese cuisineSteincat04VIPDined on 5/15/2014Great selection of traditional Chinese dishes. Plenty of choices, quick while table cloth service. No complaints, food portions are well sized for take-home afterwards as well.Special Features:
- A real treatKingbVIPDined on 5/10/2014friends had recommended Café Ginger to us. We were very pleased with all aspects of the meal. The service was as good as it gets - prompt, courteous, attentive, willing to make changes to the offering. Neatly decorated. Food was exceptional. This is not your common Oriental restaurant.Special Features:
- Good, not greatMomskitchenDined on 4/26/2014I ate at this restaurant a few weeks ago. We had an appetizer and three different entrees. By Houston standards for Asian restaurants the dishes were good. The ingredients seemed fresh, and were not over cooked. We did not have any of the signature entrees, which was probably a mistake on our part, they sounded unique.
- ServiceJackVIPDined on 4/18/2014Our waitress was friendly but seemed to be new and unsure of things. She also may have had a language. Very nice young lady who meant to be helpful but might need more training/experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeRickSnickersDined on 4/12/2014My wife and I always are welcomed at Cafe Ginger. The Chinese Food is very unique and fresh. We always ask for Victor who has been serving us for over a year. Food, service and wine are fabulous. You always walk out with a doggie bag.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my new favorite restaurantsPaulie1VIPDined on 4/4/2014Twice in 8 days. Service and food were great. The waiters (both times) were helpful in making choices.Special Features:
- Perfect 4 family event diningfamilymanagerDined on 3/24/2014Took family from in- and out-of-town, party of 9 total with an 11 year old. Wait staff very patient while group decided on apps and entrees. Overall, staff incredibly acommodating, friendly and unintrusive. Food was TERRIFIC and all ages/palates were pleased. Perfect for special ocassion dinner (white table cloths, requested round table--perfect!) with ambiance (and space) that did not mind large group and all felt comfortable enough to be themselves and stay as long as needed. Also a favorite spot for just me and hubby to have a getaway dinner on a weekend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe Ginger Yee HawAmalina52VIPDined on 3/22/2014Rodeo get up was a great departure and very unexpected. My husband and I were seated in the back room and after hearing the ladies at the back corned table nearby yelling and talking loud to hear across the large round table of nine , I had to ask Jackie, our waiter, to please see if there might be another table in another room. At first he said that it was totally booked and that there were a few people waiting for a table. Then a minute later, a table became available . Thank goodness we were able to move because I wasn't able to even enjoy myself. The food was very good though. We tried the soft shell crab, snow peas and mushrooms.and Hunan Chicken. We will return I'm sure but just not to that back room where they put larger groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Affordable LuxuryFoodieAdventurerDined on 3/18/2014White tablecloths, awesome service and impressive ambience coupled with delicious chinese food that tastes amazing. The first restaurant we have eaten at since moving to Houston that was quiet and exceeded expectations. The affordability aspect is a positive as it means we can order more. We will be back again for sure...in fact, writing this review makes me want to go back NOW.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale AsianMiltonVIPDined on 3/17/2014Café Ginger is a very nice Asian restaurant. The décor is stunning with the glass sculpture behind the reception area and the Giant Chinese Horses coming out of the ceiling....It also has a very nice private dining area if you are looking for a group dinner. This is not a typical Chinese restaurant. They have a variety of cuisine choices and were very willing to customize a dish for us. Definitely a restaurant we recommend and frequently visit.Special Features:
- I have been a customer ofOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/14/2014I have been a customer of Café Ginger since it opened. Love it, good food and good service consistently. Thanks, Mari JozwiakSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Asian Fusion at its bestYummyDined on 3/13/2014We try to eat at Cafe Ginger as often as we can when in Houston. We have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- review from sgsandygVIPDined on 3/12/2014The food was good, the only thing I find irritating is how fast they start coming to your table to remove your plates, it is veryirritating, because they don';t just do it once, and you decline, but they continue doing it every few minutes. Very irritating, one of my friends said she would never come back. But the food is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent lunch - thanks.EverylunchDined on 3/7/2014We had an excellent lunch with scrumptious food and wonderful service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pleasant surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014I wanted to take my date here, mainly for the reputed ambiance, but the food they served us was really yummy. And we ate only vegetarian dishes, all of which were super! I recommend the eggplant - delicious!Special Features:
- excellent experiencejeffsDined on 2/14/2014Excellent service - relaxed friendly personable. Food was great, ambiance special, and perfect for fri ednds and conversation. Recommend highlySpecial Features:
- Valentine's DelightfoodhobbyDined on 2/14/2014As first timers at Cafe Ginger, we could not have imagined the experience we had. From the moment we walked in to when we left, everything was handled with impeccable detail. Our server patiently answered all our questions and described the dishes we were most interested in. His suggestion of wine was perfect. We cannot say enough about the food! Cafe Ginger provided us with a total experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food!Amalina52VIPDined on 2/6/2014We have never had a bad meal here. We come here many times when we don't have any dining plans. Usually we can get a table but it is usually full of filled tables. I keep wanting to try the short ribs because it is unusual to have them at a Asian restaurant but they are quite pricey. Sometime soon.Special Features:
- Great Dining ChoiceHappyDinerDined on 2/4/2014Cafe Ginger was a great choice for our recent ladies night out. Great Happy Hour, great food, great service. It is on our list of favorites...Special Features:
- Fine RestaurantBruceVIPDined on 2/1/2014We've been coming here for years. The food is terrific, an excellent menu, exemplary service. What's not to like? And goog sushi in addition to excellent Chinese.Special Features:
- Great experienceGoodeDined on 2/1/2014I had reservations for a group of 8 on Sat evening. The staff were flexible and accommodating. The food and service were great. I would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and deliciousXimenaDined on 1/31/2014Great service and delicious food! I forgot out serves name, but he was very friendly, patient and nice! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/17/2014The food was extremely tasty. We had shrimp tempura and Beijing Duck for appetizers. Main course we had Mongolian Beef and Chicken with Eggplant--beef was sooo tender and the chicken had lots of basil, my favorite herb. I opted for the brown rice and it was perfectly prepared. I must mention that the waitress actually got my cocktail perfect on the first try--Captain Morgans and club soda with a splash of coke. This doesn't happen, ever! But when I gave her my drink order she didn't blink and it was perfect, so she gets three thumbs up from me. She was super busy, but was attentive and polite. She had lots of help, and I felt the restaurant was well run. My husband and I both agreed we need to come here more often!Special Features:
- FabulousYummyDined on 1/14/2014One of our all time favorite restaurants in Houston. Six people in our party and when we saw what we had ordered we didn't think we could eat all but we ate pretty much all of it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- waiter and attendantmmen123Dined on 1/10/2014since my friends and i "looked young", i feel like we were treated with less respect and attention. when seated, we weren't even asked if we wanted to order from the wine menu even though we were clearly all over the age of 21.Special Features: