425 Ave. Alhambra
El Granada, CA 94018Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafegibraltar.com/
- Phone: 6505609039x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:45pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Jose Luis Ugalde
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Fireplace, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Cafe Gibraltar offers cuisine from throughout the world for catering events. Outside catered events are buffet style. We provide full service catering with unique food that defies the traditional perception that catered food is less than exceptional. This food is exceptional.
- Entertainment: Cafe Gibraltar features classical and flamenco guitar on Wednesday evenings and live jazz on Thursday evenings from 6:00 to 9:00pm.
A word from Cafe Gibraltar
Cafe Gibraltar is a truly unique restaurant, owned and operated by Chef Jose Luis Ugalde and his wife Liam Durkee, it is a warm and welcoming space where every patron's positive experience is extremely valued. The menu is creative and expertly prepared by Jose Luis. He utilizes organic ingredients, primarily locally grown and raised, and creates dishes that honor their cultural origins, yet showcase his unique vision and artistry. The name Gibraltar is inspired by the Straights of Gibraltar, which are the gateway to the Mediterranean. Jose Luis creates cuisine that represents cultures along the entire rim of the Mediterranean. The seasonal menu may feature dishes from France, Spain, Turkey, Italy, Macedonia, Greece and any of the countries of North Africa. Check out our website for current menus featuring the bounty of our local farms and ranches and the fresh bounty of the sea. Cafe Gibraltar only utilizes fresh seafood, and we often get our fish straight off of the boat.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Cafe Gibraltar - Best Restaurants in El Granada ›
Cafe Gibraltar reviews from OpenTable diners
155 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (106)special occasion (96)romantic (83)neighborhood gem (82)scenic view (71)notable wine list (40)great for brunch (22)good for groups (21)kid-friendly (14)hot spot (9)great for lunch (6)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Wonderful flavoursluv2tryDined on 8/30/2014I'm always delighted to eat at Cafe Gibraltar. They put so much thought and creativity into their specials that I normally order them and am never disappointed.Special Features:
- Back againGregDined on 8/30/2014We dine here so often that it is challenging to find new things to report. Suffice to say- dining here so often says it all.Special Features:
- Intensely fantasticHappygoluckyDined on 8/27/2014One of the best meals I have had in a long time and I am a foodie. Highly recommended. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular!coastisdebonnieVIPDined on 8/27/2014We chose 2 starters, 2 entrees and shared a dessert; each dish exceeded expectations from past experiences. The wrapped scallops were succulent and tasty, the rabbit was superb, the pheasant was excellent ant the king smon was the most moist I have ever experienced. Every dish was cooked to perfection with ripe perfectly cooked vegetables. For dessert we enjoyed a bread pudding made of brioche withe chocholate and caramel sauce that was scrumptuous. Exquisite dights for a foodie!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- namaDined on 8/26/2014The receptionist was not friendly, no smile in her greeting . The food was horrifying, they piled up with no presentation. The ravioli and the squib and their sauce were dark and unappealing. The stuffed pheasant breast and the stuffing were by itself. The braised lamb was so tough that we could not even chew on it.
- abikuDined on 8/23/2014We go the 5 course tasting menu, so we got to try a good variety of the menu items, which was fun. It made for a long relaxing meal, which was great because we were celebrating a birthday on a romantic weekend away, and we didn't want to rush. Our server was great, giving us good information and paying attention to our pace so that we didn't ever rushed, nor did we have to wait for our food for too long. The calamari, scallops with apple glaze, crudo di giorno and stuffed pheasant breast were all excellent! But the lamb entree was too chewy, and the watermelon salad was extremely sweet with no good savory balance. All in all though, it was a wonderful place for a romantic dinner for 2 celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Diverse MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2014My husband and I shared the calamari and octopus salad which was great, but very filling. My husband really enjoyed a fish medley stew type dish and I had a rolled stuffed eggplant dish; both were very good. No room for dessert.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/20/2014Wonderful taste sensations. Loved it, the second time there and will go back. Very generous portionsSpecial Features:
- The Coastside's BestRickDined on 8/19/2014Cafe Gibraltar has long been a personal favorite. The owners, Jose and Liam, are wonderful hosts and make an incredible team. They also set a wonderful example for their staff who take obvious pride in working at the restaurant. The kitchen is open to the restaurant, it is fun to be able to view Jose and his sou chefs masterfully creating all his incredible dishes. The greatest challenge at Cafe Gilbraltar is just trying to decide what to order! Wine list is well selected and prices are offered at a good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as alwaysClydeVIPDined on 8/16/2014Love the authentic Mediterranean cooking and delicious dishes you don't see many other places. Wine list has a good variety and fairly priced. I have been here a few times and the food is consistently good. Service was a little slow this time and the servers were moving around tables a little hectically like there was some confusion, but not too bad. Atmosphere is nice and relaxing.Special Features:
- like the hundred foot journey movieFishDined on 8/15/2014The best food and atmospheres any where I have ever been in the world!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistently goodlaff1Dined on 8/13/2014Excellent menu. One of my favorite restaurants in the bay area. Too many great choices. Everything was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would not go backdiner717Dined on 8/10/2014Don't know how this place received Zagat rating of 28. Food fair to poor. Service ok. Too many issues to name. Don't believe the hype.
- LeendaOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/8/2014This is my second time at Gibraltar and we were not disappointed. Fantastic flavors of unique offerings. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Honestly Great Dinning ExperienceGMSRPDined on 8/8/2014Decided back in April to try out Cafe Gibraltar after getting rave reviews from family members and Yelp reviews and also there was a Groupon offer. I brought the voucher back in April and wanted to go in the summer months. It so happen I was on a Mediterranean Cruise in June of this year and we debarked in Barcelona where we stay a few extra days and got a chance to savior the Spanish food scene and culture. Cafe Gibraltar reminded us of those small charming dinners, with the decor, atmosphere, service, and great food selection to match. I also praise Cafe Gibraltar for their honesty on the total bill. I had added gratitude to the bill but I was charged less due to some error on the final bill with the Groupon voucher. Thank you !Special Features:
- Love this place!!MeiravDined on 8/8/2014Food is superb!!! Don't miss out!! Always a winner. Never had a bad meal at this restaurant. If it was closer to my home, I would frequent it more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly GoodJoyceVIPDined on 8/7/2014Cafe Gibralter looks small Ann's a bit quaint from the outside,but once you are inside , the atmosphere is lively, the service is friendly and paced just right and the wine list and food are both terrific. Bring your appetite! Not only is it delicious, but the portions are huge. We enjoyed everything we ordered. Definitely on our dining spot list when in Half Moon Bay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful dinnertfromtorontoDined on 8/7/2014Celebrated 20th anniversary with 7-year-old in tow. Hospitable, attentive and friendly service. Delicious and savory Moroccan dishes. Good wine list. Nice atmosphere. Yummy desserts! A big hit and can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- very good food, very slow servicegreyfoodieDined on 8/7/2014after 3 visits found the following:very good food, original menu items and preparation with very slow and occasionally inept service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/6/2014The travelzoo discount allow us to try this unique and delicious gem on the San Mateo Coastside. Prices for entrees is $$$, but really special. Very cozy and warm. Will enjoy returning at a later date for another special meal.Special Features:
- Tasting menuSteveDined on 8/5/2014We started when they first opened, went for the tasting menu, left many chooses to our server, and ended up trying two appetizers two salads, five main courses, two deserts and three types of wine. The courses were presented in a way that was staged with the wine. The food is good as you'll read elsewhere, and we saw our server sniffing out the right wines to accompany. We were rating everything and I noticed my wife's ratings gradually increased until the last few were 10 out of 10, so there was a cumulative effect.Special Features:
- area visit -- found a jewelTheKGBDined on 7/30/2014a nice addition to Half Moon Bay area...ravioli appetizer was superb and memorable. great service and lovely atmosphereSpecial Features:
- Best restaurant on San Mateo CoastGregDined on 7/30/2014Wonderful restaurant set back from Princeton Harbor. Service is very attentive and hospitable. The wine list is tailored to fit the menu and offers fine wines at good value. The Salads, Soups and Appetizers are all exceptional. The entrees, based upon flavors from around the Mediterranean, offers takes on some standard dishes as well as some delicious Med plates. If you haven't been to Cafe Gibraltar, don't miss it. Those who go, go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious & prepared with passionOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/27/2014Lovely evening celebrating our anniversary. Seated near the pastry chef. Enjoyed watching her prepare desserts and catching glimpses of the chef/cook preparing meals. The owner stopped by to acknowledge our special occasion and chatted with us about the desserts. Our waitress was attentive and pleasant. The meals were delectable. Each bite was full of flavor! An amazing meal. We plan to return. Oh, and our dessert was on the house! Loved it!Special Features:
- Delicious FoodPoorisDined on 7/26/2014We usually don't write up reviews but Cafe Gibraltar is truly a gem within the surroundings of Half Moon Bay. Most restaurants I would say are "touristy" with average seafood and a limited menu. Cafe Gibraltar has a great atmosphere with unique sitting arrangements, great menu that spans the spectrum of mediterranean food including Northern Africa. The prawn bisque and brioche pudding was especially exquisite.Special Features:
- Kinda expected betterChrisDined on 7/26/2014Gibraltar is one of the more upscale restos in the area. They offer line-caught fish, and fresh locally sourced meat and produce. Very responsible. In light of this, we thought we were in for some very tasty food. I found the recipes somewhat lacking, however. My roast boar loin was succulent and flavorful, but part of it was undercooked, which is a no-no for pork and I imagine the same goes for boar. I mean, 10% of it was pink and raw! All of our entrees were swimming in sauce. We thought the flavors and presentation would be more distinct. Usually when you eat at fine establishments, they make an effort to let the flavors stand for themselves, not bathe them in sauce.Special Features:
- Birthday Dinner at Cafe GilbraltarFoodieJulieDined on 7/26/2014I treated my husband to a 50-something birthday dinner at Cafe Gilbraltar, over the weekend. We came to El Grenada from the San Jose area. Having eaten here before, we knew it would be well worth the drive, and we were not disappointed. Our waitperson was superb. She knew when we needed her help, and when to leave us alone to visit. As always the food was delicious! My husband is a vegetarian and looks forward to having an outstanding veggie meal, prepared in an innovative fashion. It's great to find a place where we both can have a gourmet meal!! Thank you Cafe Gibraltar, for an excellent dining experience. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good find on a coastal drivechewzytwoDined on 7/26/2014Enjoyed the seaside neighborhood atmosphere and casual dining of this great find. We ordered 2 starters, a very tasty beet salad, 1 entree and desert all to share and was pleasantly pleased with every dish. Looking forward to bringing friends and trying Sunday brunch in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A TraditionwatercolourwomenDined on 7/26/2014Twice a year a group of us get together at Café Gibraltar and enjoy an evening of pampering ourselves to a nice dinner out. We get a smile and a nod from the master chef. It's fun to be able to watch the cooks at work. We look forward to exploring new creations on the menu. Most of the foods are locally grown and very fresh. We might take a look at the menu, but we wait until we hear the daily specials before ordering. With so many choices, the servers are generous with letting us split and share appetizers, salads and desserts. Yum! While I'm thinking about it, I should get online now and make our January reservations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good dining experienceYummy4twoDined on 7/25/2014My 91 y.o. mother and my partner dined with me at Cafe Gibraltar. We were warmly greeted by the owner when we arrived, sat in comfortable seating, had a highly professional and lovely waitress, and a scrumptious three-course meal with wine. The experience was outstanding, and we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Innovative Mediterranean FoodVirgocookVIPDined on 7/24/2014The menu at this place is original - so many innovative things to choose from. Try the roasted calamari and octopus salad. Nice ambiance and friendly service. No cell phones!!! Excellent wine. Want to go back to try the other things on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IncredibleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/22/2014Hat's off! The staff was friendly and accommodating, the food was outrageously good, and the view was hard to beat! We'll be back!Special Features:
- Spectacular, as always.BirdDined on 7/20/2014The food is outstanding. It is always a special treat to go here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delectable dining by the seaLibby95Dined on 7/20/2014Love this place! The location provides a perfect view of the ocean, so beautiful on a summer night. The menu is amazing, original and well designed. I highly recommend the rabbit, if it's on the menu. The ambience transports you to the south of Spain, Mediterranean with Moorish influence. A musician playing Spanish guitar music adds to the mood. The staff are all so friendly, and very knowledgeable about the sourcing of the food and the preparation and ingredients. Perfect date night locale!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Brunch LocationUncleBobVIPDined on 7/20/2014We stopped here based on reviews on a scenic drive from San Francisco to Monterey, CA and we were not disappointed. The chef takes standard cuisine and ramps it up significantly. My granddaughter had a wonderful salad with grilled chicken, and I had an eggs benedict on crab cakes with avocado... which was outstanding (the Hollandaise was great !). We fished off with one of the best lemon tarts we've ever tasted (see pictures).Special Features:
- jojoDined on 7/17/2014We loved everything we had from the kitchen and even returned the following night. The atmostphere was warm and sitting in the cushioned booth was fun. The Bisque de Crevettes and Cassola were DElicious. The Rotollo di Melanzana (roasted eggplant stuffed with basil pesto and mozzarella, over roasted tomato risotto) oh my, it was devine. Done to perfection with a delicate crispiness from the eggplant coating in the wood burning oven. The Maple Pecan Tart and the Greek Float were also very good. The wines were most enjoyable. The food was very well timed and the entire staff were lovely and professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love this placeMarcTDined on 7/17/2014This was my second time at Cafe Gibraltar and it did not disappoint! Our server was Shannon (at least I think that was her name) and she was awesome. Great osso bucco ravioli appetizer, wonderful steak and shrimp entrees and the churros for dessert were fantastic! Can't wait to visit again!Special Features:
- LinkayDined on 7/16/2014Great food and very good service. Chef is very creative with his flavors. Would recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- out2lunchDined on 7/16/2014Varied and interesting food/season9ing combinations. wide selection of appetizers. staff pleasant andnowledgeable.Special Features:
- Cafe GibraltarVallemar2Dined on 7/15/2014A gem of fine dining on the coastside; wonderful food great services and cozy ambiance. Feels like a family place with top notch menu. Would go again and again; great for out of town guests or small romantic get togethersSpecial Features: