Cafe Frida - Columbus Ave
368 Columbus Avenue
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Cafe Frida - Columbus Ave
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cafefrida.com/
- Phone: 2127122929
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Regional Mexican, Mexican
- Executive Chef: Miguel Espinoza
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Up to 1,200 guests (off premises catering)
- Entertainment: On special ocassions.
A word from Cafe Frida - Columbus Ave
The authenticity in our Mexican Regional Cuisine is a ritual of flavors, aromas, colors and textures dedicated to your soul. Our knowledge and passion for the tequila culture has been awarded by the Tequila Regulatory Council of Mexico since 2006, making us one of the few restaurants in the world of having such honor. Come and enjoy the warmth of Mexico!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cafe Frida - Columbus Ave reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (23)good for groups (12)fit for foodies (9)great for lunch (8)vibrant bar scene (6)kid-friendly (6)hot spot (5)special occasion (3)great for brunch (2)romantic (2)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- nice mexican placeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/24/2014Nice place with interesting variations on mexican fare. Very tasty. Good service. I would recommend it, just make sure you make a reservation. Even with a reservation we still had to wait a little while as it was a busy time for them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food at a good priceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2014We were very happy with our meal. Everything was flavorful and delicious. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food .MMcgDined on 8/4/2014Definitely a place to return to on a regular basis. Great guacamole.Special Features:
- So-so foodFrequentdinerVIPDined on 8/2/2014The main element I remember about the evening was noise. Frida's is so loud one has difficulty hearing anyone else at the table. The mojitos were excellent. The food was not. The guacamole was just ok, a small portion for the price. The pork carnitas tacos were not particularly seasoned and were served plain - no lettuce, tomatoes, or any other accompaniment. When I asked about it the server said, that's how we serve tacos here and brought a miniature container of yellow salsa. My husband's enchilada suizas were just ok. Not recommended.
- Great optionsmodiDined on 7/22/2014Sometimes it's tough to find vegetarian options but Cafe Frida had plenty. The molotes and chili relleno in particular were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Plates are smallDiner1Dined on 7/21/2014Beware, the plates are very small. I'd say order double of anything you want. Our table of 5 was shocked at the portions. Also, food is ok, nothing special. Great drinks though.Special Features:
- Good food great serviceBd1901Dined on 6/30/2014Our experience at Cafe Frida was great! Although a World Cup match was on, our server was very attentive and patient with us as he described several dishes. The guacamole was delicious. Would recommend to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Gaucomole in the CityCWrightVIPDined on 6/27/2014This is a must go to place if you like good authentic Mexican food. Everything was cooked perfectly and tasted great. Haven't had Mexican food like this outside of Mexico.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch dealTruefoodieVIPDined on 6/20/2014The food is always good here. They have a big screen tv for World Cup which made it even better.I would recommend this to a friend.
- GigiDined on 6/14/2014Very good Mexian food. Not spectacular but very servicable. Excellent Guacomole.
- Not what it was - stick to simpleLeoMDined on 6/13/2014Cafe Frida - particularly the Amsterdam location - was our favorite Mexican restaurant in the city. Now it is but a pale echo of it's former self. The impressive salsa list is down to three, they no longer have the huitlacoche queso fundido, and the quality of every taco and entree we tried this visit - particularly the steak - has gone downhill. On the positive side, the salsas that are left, the guacamole, and the margaritas - particularly the la tentadora - are still great. But very sadly Cafe Frida has become a place to go for drinks and snacks.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad foodMaryDined on 5/25/2014We ate here over the weekend, there were 5 of us and no one liked the food! It is bland, ordinary and dry. The burritos don't come with salsa, they are nothing special in terms of taste, just a tortilla with dome beans cone thrown in, couldn't find much spinach either! The chimichangas tasted old and were unappetizing! No one liked their dish ! The waitress was completely unhelpful, service was slow and I felt bad I suggested it to visiting famy upon a friend 'a recommendation! We will never return!
- Quality MexicanYummyyyVIPDined on 5/13/2014You won't regret going to Cafe Frida. Every dish is delicious and you can't go wrong here. Great waitor with a sense of humor. Thank you for another great meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- used car salesmanEddyVIPDined on 5/9/2014My friend and I had dinner here the other night. The service wasn't friendly at all and our waitress tried pushing things on the menu we didn't want. They also charge for chips and salsa. Not sure if they always did that but regardless this place really isn't that great. Will try my hardest not to go back there.
- Fire decorator, bartender & CHEF!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/7/2014First of all the Christmas lights in the window (snowflakes) in May (!) were just tacky, like Curry Row! The new fuchsia paint color was equally as bad. The music was no longer Mexican, it was Hip Hop and extremely loud. And I was disappointed to see that you still have those same ugly and uncomfortable bucket chairs that you cannot hang a bag, purse or jacket on. We ordered Margaritas on the rocks which I promised my friend were great but they were watery. And at $11 each for well tequila they are a total rip off! We both ordered enchiladas mole which were as awful as the presentation, thick spongy pancake-like tortillas-horrible, very little chicken and the mole sauce was mediocre at best! Really, really disappointing!
- Yummy Shrimp TacosCharlottesmumDined on 5/5/2014My 6 year old daughter loved the quesadillas and I thought the shrimp tacos we delicious. Husband had a soup and salad thigh he said were also outstanding. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BiancaDined on 5/4/2014Although I had made reservations and we arrived on time, we had to wait more than 40 minutes for our table.Special Features:
- Not worth the timeSuzanneDined on 5/1/2014Ok food, nothing special. Tuna tacos had lots of vegetables, little tuna. Ceviche too had lots of vegetables, little fish. Noise level was horrible with some kind of racket as music. Do not recommend.
- The following 501 reviews are from the Cafe Frida - Columbus Ave reviews archive.
- Will come back for moreLarryDined on 4/28/2014My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed each dish we had here. The "fondue" was a fabulous mix of four cheeses melted on a hot skillet. Served on homemade white corn tortillas that were the best we have ever eaten. Also best ever was the mole chicken enchiladas. Everyone has their own secret mole recipe. This one is so far my favorite (better than any I have had in Tucson or Mexico). The plantan macho for dessert was a great way to end the evening. It's big enough to split so we did. We would definitely come back here again and highly recommend it to anyone staying or traveling through the upper west side. Get a seat facing the street for fun people watching!Special Features:
- YUMMY HIBISCUS MARGARITA!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/26/2014VERY AUTHENTIC GUAC & TACOS, GOOD LOCATION AND AMBIENCE.Special Features:
- Off nightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/21/2014Normally never a problem. Just a few things slightly off this night. >I called at 6:45 to make a reservation for 2 at 7pm. and hostess said I could try and walk in. I quickly went to open table and easily booked a reservation for two. > in general team was quite attentive however, it took a while for the waiter to initially come over to take our order > our entrees arrived 1 minute after our guacamole, so didn't really have time to eat..but yummy > fajitas delicious; carnitas tacos not so much..plain, dry > friend ordered a 3rd margarita(no judgement;)) from someone and it wasn't showing up so she asked the waiter again and it quickly came ; however, she was charged for 4 initially. It was taken off the bill without a problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for a quick biteTantiNYCVIPDined on 4/8/2014I visited Cafe Frida on Tuesday and left thinking, it was just "okay." The happy hour specials are a nice draw -- I got the $2.25 Tacos and $6 Sangria, but even those were just "okay." The guacamole was good, but a bit chunky and the rice and beans lacked quite a bit of flavor. I can't say I would never visit again, but it's definitely not on the top of my list of places to go.
- Near Natural History MuseumLongIslandLadyVIPDined on 4/8/2014We have eaten here before. The lunch is reasonably priced - a good value. The tomato soup was spicy and delicious and the empanadas were great. The crepa for dessert was also very good. If you are at the Museum and looking for a good Mexican meal, I rev omen this place. The Margarita was also very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No longer loyal customersceliacDined on 3/15/2014This was a total mess, we are done with this company after visiting both locations more times than I can count. On this occasion I made a Saturday night reservation at Amsterdam and 97th St via a link on the restaurant website. Tho confirmed that day, we showed up to learn they'd changed hands, was no longer called Frida & the res was now at the orig location on Columbus Ave. No apologies, no offer to seat us, no attempt to keep us loyal, return neighborhood customers. As my party's host, I didn't have another option at 9:00 on a weekend night so we hoofed it down to 77th St, Food was fine, but still no apology so tasted bitter. This is unheard-of in any industry: you take care of return customers, not switch them up & ignore them.
- Delicious DinnerGuggsDined on 3/10/2014The food at Cafe Frida is always reliable and delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MexicansharonVIPDined on 3/8/2014Despite running late for our reservation, we were seated promptly. The seating was a little cozy, but we were able to admire our neighbors' food selections before deciding on our own. The trio of salsas is a great deal! The hot habanero salsa was too spicy for me, but my boyfriend loved it. I enjoyed the chicken fajitas and he enjoyed his mole chicken, and the margaritas were strong and delicious. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OkOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2014Cafe Frida was just ok. The gauc and margs were really good - it provided false expectations for the rest of the food. The enchiladas were bland yet the pepper and onion side was soo hott.
- Really Enjoyed Cafe FridatpadDined on 2/12/2014Excellent Guacamole. Delicious Margaritas - loved the chili salt edge. Entrees were tasty. I look forward to coming back to visit and explore more of the menu. Thanks for a delicious meal served by fun and attentive staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Delicious MixRicoDined on 2/8/2014I enjoyed the menu options for the dinner because of the mix of traditional mexican dishes, and the more Mexican-American dishes as well, so there is a great spectrum for foods to eat. The drinks were delicious! My Lady enjoyed the hibiscus margarita and I enjoyed the Pacifico Beer. The best part was when a friend asked for the beer options, and the response was " we only have imported beers"..which made the experience even better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love to visit Cafe Frida.yk841pinkDined on 2/8/2014I love to visit Cafe Frida. Never disappointed from the food and the drinks!!! The wait staff is always very nice and the food is excellent and also the drinks are always amazing! I am so glad you opened UWS new location since this one is much closer to my house. cannot wait for the next visit!Special Features:
- It was okayPaulVIPDined on 2/8/2014The food is fine, not great. Nice mole sauce and Guac, that's about it. Marg's not amazing. The horrible percussive music coming out of tiny speakers was not appreciated and the too dark upstairs, where you have no idea what you're eating, was strange. But it looked reasonably popular on an early Saturday night, if that means anything.
- Great sport for post-museum lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 2/1/2014Cafe Frida is a great alternative to Shake Shack if you're looking for a comfortable place to have lunch with your kids after going to the natural history museum. I was delighted to be in a place that was kid-friendly but not stuffed full of other families with small kids. My kids are fine with spicy food, but if yours are not, no worries - they offered to make the dishes plain and were very accomodating about a few idiosyncracies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!LiliMartinsVIPDined on 1/29/2014I lived in Mexico for an year and half and often find that Mexican restaurants in NYC are too acclimatize to America tex-mex taste. When I walked into Cafe Frida, I expected the same. But surprise, surprise, their menu did offer some traditional mexican food I would get in DF. I really enjoyed it. Just wish tables were more bigger and the decor more updated. But food wise, want to go back real soon.
- tastiest guacamole in town.gigiDined on 1/26/2014Geeat choice of margaritas and wonderful guacamole. It deserve a visit only for that. Very good chicken with mole negro and very good mexican negra beer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but mediocre serviceMoiAussiDined on 1/19/2014I went for Sunday brunch. We both loved the food. I had the Poblano omelette, and my friend had the huevos rancheros. Portions were a reasonable size, and the quality was very good. The coffee was a bit weak though. The only criticisms are that we had to ask twice to get our coffee refilled. The restaurant was busy, so it is at least understandable. Also, we were eventually asked to leave because they needed the table. That is less minor, but the manager was apologetic. I do think that is poor policy though. That might make me reconsider going back - generally if you pay for a meal out the experience is part of what you are paying for. I want to have a relaxed meal and not be rushed out, and this ended things on a down note.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun PlaceEileenVIPDined on 1/17/2014Handily located right behind the Museum of Natural History. Good food and tequila. Really nice servers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok overallFoodie2014Dined on 1/12/2014I remember frequenting Cafe Frida 5 years ago and remembered how great the food was. Maybe dinner is still great but brunch was just OK. Service was good but they definitely rushed to get our appetizer plates off the table - just to make us wait another 20-30 minutes for our entrees - too busy that day for the kitchen to keep up.Special Features:
- Deafening, tables squeezedBstrohVIPDined on 1/11/2014Deafening, tables squeezed together like sardines, all the waitstaff in a Greta big hurry. I ordered my steak rare and it came well done. Avoid.
- Food was good. Service wasOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/10/2014Food was good. Service was good. Very very loud though and we were in the balcony and it was hot and very loud.Special Features:
- An enjoyable Mexican mealThegoodlifeDined on 1/4/2014Loud, crazy Saturday night place to eat with a wide variety of good food. Lot's of choices and a good, full bar. Not too spicy, but very flavorful. Good guacamole and a unique tortilla soup.Special Features: