8556 Macon Road
Memphis, TN 38018Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafefontanamemphis.com/
- Phone: (901) 529-7526
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm
Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Contemporary European
- Executive Chef: Thomas Schranz
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Fireplace, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our quaint little house offers four separate dining rooms capable of seating 16 in three of the rooms and up to 40 people in the main dining room.
- Private Party Contact: Valerie Schranz 9015297526
- Entertainment: We offer live music on our patio most Saturday nights including acoustic guitarists and vocalists. Occasionally, we have a live band. We offer a perfect evening of live music and delicious food served next to a bubbling fountain. Romantic and relaxing...
A word from Cafe Fontana
In the tradition of small family trattorias, Café Fontana proudly serves robust, hearty Italian cuisine made with the freshest ingredients and finest herbs. It is set in the charming historic Farley House c. 1937 in Old Town Cordova. Our restaurant boasts quaint dining rooms, a beautifully landscaped courtyard surrounding a fountain - perfect for outdoor dining - and a warm welcoming atmosphere. Our Chef, Thomas Schranz, has appeared on the Food Network and has cooked for some of the finest restaurants in south Florida. Come enjoy delicious homemade Italian cooking, a good bottle of wine and friendly service. Proprietors: Chef Thomas and his wife, Valerie SchranzContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Cafe Fontana - Best Restaurants in Memphis ›
Cafe Fontana reviews from OpenTable diners
37 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (28)great for outdoor dining (23)fit for foodies (21)romantic (20)special occasion (20)good for groups (13)great for brunch (12)notable wine list (11)great for lunch (10)scenic view (5)kid-friendly (4)hot spot (3)Show More
- 10th B-Day DinnerKellieDined on 11/21/2014Thank you Cafe Fontana for serving up an awesome birthday dinner for a group of 4th and 5th graders. The food was excellent- everyone cleaned their plates. The staff took care of the kids just like the paying adults. You made the kids feel very special and oh, so, grown-up! We look forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Food & Service2CannoliDined on 10/25/2014There are few places in the Memphis area that can offer the same cozy ambiance, delicious Italian cuisine, and outstanding service. My husband and I have dined at Cafe Fontana several times in the last two years to celebrate special occasions, and we have never been disappointed. We have recommended this restaurant to our friends because of the outstanding food and service we were rewarded with. Thank you for the wonderful experiences!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Adult Family DinnerPapouDined on 10/17/2014Excellent meal and experience. This was a mostly adult family meal with a young baby with us. The restaurant was excellent for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful birthday dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/14/2014I celebrated my birthday there with a delicious meal accompanied by excellent, attentive service. A special night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Local RestaurantabagailDined on 10/11/2014A fine dining gem off the beaten path on Macon Road. Old house provides an atmosphere above typical dining chains. Three separate cozy dining areas. Food is superior and so is service. Anything on the menu is great. Wine list is good. Some of the desserts could be better. The ricotta cheesecake is very good. Okay for couples or small groups.Special Features:
- Very good experieceBenMDined on 10/4/2014This was our second time at Cafe Fontana, and it was a good one. They have some very good menu options, good wines and a really nice atmosphere.Special Features:
- Good Food for the PriceGreatNightDined on 9/19/2014The food was pretty good and fitting for the prices, which are very reasonable. The chicken marsala was a little heavy with the cream and butter and the red sauce used in the chicken parm and shrimp fra diavolo tasted a lot alike - too sweet, but all 3 were okay enough. The salads were good and different from most other restaurants. The servers are very nice but it was a little slow to get started -we sat for about 5 minutes before our drink order was taken. After that, they kept water glasses filled and stopped by regularly to check on us. We asked for more bread when our meals came but we never got any - probably a good thing because we didn't need it! I'll go back because it is good for the price and in our neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeOaklanditesDined on 9/16/2014Food, service, wine, the whole 9 yards was beyond awesome. Already planning on returning to try out the brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Great.GoodTimesVIPDined on 9/13/2014Consistently good food at fair prices. Specials are SPECIAL. Food always cooked to order. Service is always spectacular--particularly Kevin, who has been at Cafe Fontana since it opened. For a great Italian meal at good prices with exceptional service, this place can't be beat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/29/2014I think everyone was just having an "off" night. Have been there several times for times and loved it but was a bit disappointed with the dinner.Special Features:
- great tasteGustavDined on 8/23/2014Best veal dish I've ever gotten in Memphis. Cooked and seasoned perfectly. The same was true of the calamari appetizer, better than most. Wine list was impressive and the server suggested a perfect pairing for the veal. Larger groups dominated the night I went and hurt the service some as servers struggled a little due to meet the demands of a party of 8 near us. The restaurant was a little louder than I would have liked, but was also hosting a high school reunion. Overall great value, as I have certainly paid more for a lesser quality meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- you should have reservations. ..JimMDined on 8/23/2014.....about going here! We made reservations on Open Table for 5:00 which is when they opened. Arrived 10 minutes early and doors were locked so waited outside. Two other couples show up by 5. Doors still locked but we can see staff inside. It's 97 degrees out so at 5:10 I call them on my cell to ask if they would please let their customers in out of the heat. They open the door and the hostess has no record of our Open Table reservation. She looks puzzled and simply walks away. So do we. Went somewhere else. Will not give them another chance.
- Cordova's BestKellieDined on 8/22/2014We have dined at Cafe Fontana several times- lunch, dinner, with and without kids, brought out of town guests. Chef and his staff consistently offer the best in fresh food, great wine and awesome service. If you have not been, stop everything right now and GO! Cafe Fontana is my kids favorite place to dine out-Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant but not outstandingdriverDined on 8/21/2014Our server was attentive and pleasant. We never lacked for refills on our drinks. There's a nice outdoor dining area with a fountain in the front, but it was in the 90s, so that wasn't an option. The front dining room was a little loud due to a group gathered there, so the host offered us the choice of a table in the back dining room, which we appreciated. The lunch menu was quite a bit more limited than it appears to be online, and the food was just "fine". Not bad - but nothing special about it. The tomatoes in the caprese salad were not flavorful even though it's the peak of tomato season. Entrees were just O.K., and the pasta side was bland. Check $81 before tax for 3 entrees, 2 salads, 2 coffees, 3 iced teas, 1 dessert.
- Nice spotOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/16/2014this is a great find in the middle of the little Cordova town center. Specialty is Italian and I'd say the best items on the menu all involve the homemade pasta. The Pork Chops are also worth trying. My steak was a little dry and not the best cut, so I think I'll stick to the pasta in the future. Wine list was limited, but there were some good values on it. I appreciated the service. While the food was a bit slow coming out, the staff was all friendly, accommodating and interactive. People living in Germantown and Collierville looking for good Italian should check it out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foursomeDined on 8/3/2014One of the rare good restaurants opened on a Sunday night. Great fun; quiet; feels like your dining in your own home!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never AgainDisappointedDined on 8/2/2014This was not a pleasant experience. For starters, our waiter Ben did not know the wines and stated that BRUT sparkling was a sweet wine. After we chose from the wine list he proceeded to bring us the wrong bottle. He could not answer questions about some appetizers. As for the food, Caprese Salad is NEVER made with grape tomatoes, should include calamata olives and be arranged in a certain way on a serving plate. Chicken Piccata didn't have any of the vegetables listed in description. We were surprised not to find coffee, cappuccino and espesso in "fine Italian restaurant". Our bill arrived with $42 overcharge for the wine we didn't order. Staff didn't even have decency to apologize and/or offer us some bonus as a goodwill gesture.
- My "Go To"KellieDined on 7/31/2014We have dined many times at Cafe Fontana. We recently took a friend from out of town (he normally enjoys the E. Memphis scene). He was totally WOW'd! Thank you for the awesome food, great wine, incredible out door music and superb service. We'll be back soon.Special Features:
- The following 130 reviews are from the Cafe Fontana reviews archive.
- CmojicaCmojiDined on 7/26/2014Food was good . Sunroom had no a/c and was very hot. Service was very slow - not a big deal if you don't have any where to be afterwards. Next time will definitely get table in the dining room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JanaDined on 7/26/2014The food is always good and the service is impeccable. It's absolutely one of our favorite places. So good to get that Midtown feel & taste without driving out of our neighborhood. A real gem!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantJC63Dined on 7/25/2014Café Fontana is one of the best places we have eaten in Memphis, and we eat our regularly. Great food, atmosphere, and service. I'd much rather give my money to a local place than a chain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatbbeatDined on 7/19/2014Very relaxed and satisfying evening.....best food we have had at a Memphis restaurant in a long time. Service and food above expectations!Special Features:
- Cordova's BestKellieDined on 7/19/2014We took family from Washington State to dinner- Excellent food, excellent wine, excellent service. We saw some friends that were also dining at the same time we were. Our family has already requested to return. We'll be back soon. Thank you for a great experience.Special Features:
- Great Brunchcookie516Dined on 7/13/2014I've been to Cafe Fontana many times for dinner and finally checked out their brunch. I highly recommend it, especially since there aren't any places like this in the area. I had the special, which was eggs benedict with hollandaise sauce on top of a waffle with bacon cooked INSIDE. Yum! The only drawback was our server seemed a little unorganized. Yes, it's the middle of summer but when he first came to our table he was dripping with sweat. I wanted to hand him a towel. Then he forgot to bring out my friend's salad and took the beer away from my other friend before he was finished. Also, the restaurant doesn't serve liquor, so my Bloody Mary was only virgin. But if you want a good Sunday brunch food, Cafe Fontana should be on your list!Special Features:
- Superb Service!! Fabulous Food!!singerDined on 7/11/2014We have been to Cafe Fontana on several occasions. On Friday night, the place was packed and there were several large parties close to where we were seated. We asked to be moved and were moved but the noise level was not much better( just folks having a good time). Our server then said that he just the right table for us and moved us outside to a lovely table near the fountain. We enjoyed drinks and appetizers and then right before our meal arrived (and Mosquitos) he suggested we move inside where it was much quieter now. We had a great evening, fabulous food, and thanks to his excellent service, a very enjoyable and relaxing evening! This is why Cafe Fontana is one of our favorite places!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big disappointmentSad2sayDined on 7/6/2014Been wanting to try Cafe Fontana for a long time, went on a Sunday evening. Shown to a table, given menus. Not asked if we would care for a drink, etc. Figured he would be back shortly to ask. Nope. After 15-20 minutes, another waiter shows up, reads the specials, takes our order. Maybe another 10 minutes or so & he brings our wine + water. Brings some bread (3 pieces). Brings the food. Doesn't ask if we would like more wine, or bread or if there was anything else we would like. Ate. Food was good, but not noteworthy. No one checks back to see how we are doing. Waiter brings the check, doesn't ask if we would care for desert, coffee. Two waiters, 4 tables of 2 & 1 of 4. Not really busy. Service was perfunctory & indifferent
- Cafe FontanaLynda1851Dined on 7/2/2014First time visit - absolutely wonderful. Loved everything about it. Would highly recommend and will definitely go back!Special Features:
- First Time HereMitzVIPDined on 6/27/2014I did not fall in love with this place as I had hoped. I think the chicken piccata would have been better if they had used thigh filets rather than breast filets. The only pasta side choice was spaghetti with a red sauce which turned out to be on of the better things, however, a white sauce or garlic and oil sauce would be nice options to choose from. My husband did not care for the veal saltimboca.Special Features:
- MagicDined on 6/26/2014elegant, unique, delicious! will definitely come back! service, ambience everything topnotch!Special Features:
- Italy in CordovaPapparazziDined on 5/28/2014If you're looking for a little bit of Italy, romantic atmosphere, outstanding service, a quite ambiance and exceptional menue...you must try Cafe Fontana. You will experience the best Italian cooking in the Memphis area and swear "grandma" is in the kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day BrunchStephoDined on 5/11/2014We have had brunch a couple of times before which is the only reason we would go back. Waited forever for food, eggs rubbery, had to ask for butter for biscuit, no offer of jam or jelly. No one came by to see how our meal was. Got the water I asked for when we sat down at the end of the meal. My advice , do not overbook. Better to have some empty tables and have the customers taken care of, than all tables full and neglected. If this had been our first time, would not go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome findfoursomeDined on 5/1/2014We were a group of four and we felt like we were dining at ho,e alone. I only hope we did not disturb the other table.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerSteveDined on 4/29/2014The food was great,atmosphere wonderful and the service was outstanding. We will come back and bring friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter BrunchcvillegrazersDined on 4/20/2014The food was very good. We were impressed with how well they handled the Easter crowd. This is our fourth time there, and the food has been from very good to outstanding each time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cordova's GemRevmormorDined on 4/20/2014I love the comfortable atmosphere, the knowledgeable wait staff, and the fact that it's uniquely local and family owned. The Torta di Formaggio is to die for, and their shrimp and grits one of Memphis' best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a winnerEmmysmomDined on 4/12/2014We have been to this restaurant several times, and each time the food is delicious, the servers friendly and professional, and the dining experience is an overall winner. We try to be health-conscious, but just cannot pass up the Torta di Formaggio - it is just too Yummy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super Find!KellieDined on 4/11/2014Thank you so much to the fine folks at Cafe Fontana. The service is exceptional! Love the menu! Wine list rocks! Close to home. This is my "Go To' place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday Brunchlive2eatDined on 4/6/2014A hidden gem. I took a friend to brunch for her birthday - a first for her and the third for me. The chicken and waffles were cooked to perfection and the antipasta pie was very tasty. The portions are just right for a midday meal. The server was attentive but not overly so. I will definitely eat here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time at cafe fontanaEjBAKERDined on 4/5/2014My prom date and i went there because we wanted to go somewhere new. Everyone was nice to us and said that we looked good together. Nick was a great waiter and so was the greeter. And the guy that took our picture for us after we ate. One of the best experiences of my life and the food was delicious. Gets 5 stars in my bookSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Romantic EveningLuvsRomanceDined on 4/5/2014My husband and I dined at Cafe Fontana to celebrate our 24th wedding anniversary. Although it was too cold to enjoy the outdoor fountain, we found restaurant to be warm and inviting inside. The service was prompt without being intrusive, the food was excellent, and the atmosphere was classy without being uncomfortable. I liked the choice of small or large portions, and the prices were affordable. We have definitely added this place to our special occasion favorite.Special Features: