172 Bleecker Street
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cafeespanol.com/
- Phone: 2125050657
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Daily: 3:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Mr. Cazares / Mr. Nava
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Let us cater your next event in your own setting. Food, Drinks, Staff, entertainment, just ask.
- Private Party Facilities: Private parties available for 40-90 people.
- Private Party Contact: Rosendo 6465842781
- Cross Street: Sullivan
- Public Transit: A,B,C,D,E,F to West 4th street station. Walk south 2 blocks to Bleecker St. and make a left.
6 train to Bleecker Street. Walk west on Bleecker St.
1,9 trains to Christopher St. Walk East on Bleecker St.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Street and local garages
A word from Cafe Español
Cafe Español has been a staple in Spanish food in Greenwich Village since 1976, Starting off as a tiny eatery. Gradually it has expanded to offer private dining areas as well as an outdoor garden. Our menu features freshly prepared traditional Spanish cuisine. We also offer an extensive Tapas menu as well as a full bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cafe Español reviews from OpenTable diners
33 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (20)good for groups (15)romantic (11)special occasion (11)fit for foodies (10)great for outdoor dining (10)great for brunch (6)kid-friendly (5)great for lunch (5)late-night find (4)scenic view (1)hot spot (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Great Food and Great ServiceYumYum88Dined on 9/8/2014The food is delicious, the staff is wonderful, and the drinks are great. I would definitely recommend this as a great Spanish food gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good food!mickeyDined on 8/21/2014very good and tasty food. The ambiance is very nice! Love the back yard where you can sit outside and eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining OutJuniorVIPDined on 8/18/2014My second visit didn't disappoint. Food was good and excellent value. Sat in the back garden which while a little tight is a great ambience!Special Features:
- still searching for authentic tapasTaraDined on 8/16/2014Having a hard time trying to replicate our summer Spanish vacation and will have to continue the search for authentic tapas. The grilled octopus, chick peas with spinach, and cheese/jamon plate were very good. The croquetas, squid, potatoes, paella were not as much. I would try something else when dining there. The larger entree plates of seafood looked delicious.
- Great tapas, sangria and service.LovediningoutDined on 8/15/2014We had a lovely dining experience whilst at Cafe Español, last Friday night. As soon as we arrived, the captain wisked us to our table where a smiling waiter was waiting for us. With menus on hand, he proceeded to make recommendations for different tapas and we wisely obliged. The stuffed mushroom and the hot, spicy chorizo stood out and were a perfect compliment to the sangria. I cannot wait to go back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good service...BvballDined on 8/11/2014Our waiter was entertaining and helpful.....the bathrooms could use a little work. Not very appealing......otherwise the food was good. Next time I would like to try your tapas....I had grilled fillet of sole which was ok but a little dry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OleJunctionJoVIPDined on 8/9/2014Good paella and lobster; love the waiter who touts the desserts.Special Features:
- JETSDined on 7/11/2014Excellent food, sangreia, and ambiance. Have been going to Cafe Espanol for 25 yearsSpecial Features:
- vencedor1Dined on 6/6/2014The service was excellent and people from the restaurant are very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spanish restaurant very enjoyablebrooklynforevuhDined on 5/30/2014Cafe Español is a classic Spanish restaurant with a seasoned staff and relaxing atmosphere. Our party of 6 had a great time feasting on generously sized Tapas, with semi-strong cocktails. I had the Sangria and recommend it for not being overly sweet as is typically the case in other establishments. The Tapas and salads were large in portions. Even so we also ordered entrees, which everyone enjoyed. The flavors were rich but not overpowering. Overall we had a wonderful evening in this classic but non-pretentious eatery...reasonably priced large menu...beautiful Greenwich Village location convenient to all. Recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TiredBigorthoDined on 5/28/2014We tried 7 different Tapas. All tasted bland, similar and overcooked. Nothing tasted fresh. Despite steam table consistency, took forever (1 ½ hrs) to serve. We then had Paella Marinara which was too salty and watery.
- Authentic SpanishRonniVIPDined on 5/27/2014Happy Hour pitcher of sangria for $15 was wonderful! Prix fixe meal is great! Always order the pitcher of sangria and the Prix fixe meal!Special Features:
- Huge Happy Hour valueNunyaDined on 5/19/2014I have been coming here for dinner and always been happy. Recently decided to try coming with friends after work for Happy Hour. Will definitely be coming again for happy hour again because with half price pitchers of Sangria or Margaritas and their great tapas all half price this was a huge value. The service as always was great!Special Features:
- The following 178 reviews are from the Cafe Español reviews archive.
- VinnyDined on 5/16/2014Co-workers said that it's great for tapas, this is def the case. Food was great, however our waiter seemed to lose interest in the table after a little while. Would definitely go back. The restaurant is a bit tight so it might get a little uncomfortable at peak hours.
- Great ExperienceGhostie412Dined on 5/10/2014Our favorite dining experience during a recent trip to NY. The food was excellent and the service was spot on. We will definitely make it part of our next visit to the city.Special Features:
- sunday afternoonRONNIEKDined on 5/4/2014we were five people the food is always good, they give us the table of our choice and weren't rushed and very nice thru out lunchlunch comes with a glass of their sangria - try itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb ServiceEfe88Dined on 5/3/2014The place truly does make you feel as if you were in Spain. We were a group of 5 and went there for appetizers and delicious sangria. The food could be improved a little bit, but overall fantastic place.Special Features:
- ScotsFromRaleighVIPDined on 4/26/2014First time at the restaurant. Enjoyed the food and the selection. The Margaritas were great but watch how many you have, very potent.Special Features:
- Great Service/Food for large groupOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/21/2014Booked for a group of 20 people for a business lunch. They put us in a great private room at the back of the restaurant. The service for a large group was very good and the food was great. Very good menu options and pricing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dine in the gardenNakedEyesVIPDined on 4/19/2014It was a girls night out, 6 of us. Had some tapas & the Seafood Paella, the dishes were very good - everyone of them. We had 2 pitchers of sangria & not once did our waiter refill of glasses with sangria. will I return? Certainly but not for a GNO.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favoritesNunyaDined on 4/19/2014This food is consistently good. Good restaurant for dinner with friends, work or couples. I come here regularly, even with a group and always get welcomed. Great place!Special Features:
- Been here many times and theJMMomDined on 4/7/2014Been here many times and the food never disappoints. Come here if you love paella! This time tried the lunch specials and were a great value. Meal comes with a drink and portions are big. The five of us left full and will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Have been to this restaurantLaineeDined on 4/5/2014Have been to this restaurant several times. Pre-fixe gives tremendous value and is available seven days a week, with no time limitation. Seafood is fresh, bread and olive oil are delicious,, lobster on Mondays is great value. Sangria is very good. Tapas and drinks during happy hour are half price and so worth it. Two tapas are equal to a dinner! Rooms are pretty and intimate. I will be going back there very soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious and delightfulyalefluteguyDined on 3/15/2014One feels as if entering another country walking through the closed doors into the restaurant, far removed from the car horns and fire trucks. The food was delicious and the pitchers of margarita plentiful. The 3-course dinner is a great deal - highly recommended! The "dessert waiter" was entertaining and brought along a "vocal troupe" when he realized we had a birthday in our party.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dependable for a great night outerikaddDined on 3/15/2014great food, great atmosphere, good value and phenomenal sangria...always has had it all and continues to impress. I have been coming here for over a decade now and have never had a disappointing experience at Cafe Espanol. Its a NYC institution for those in the know.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe espanolBilly2DillyDined on 2/14/2014Great food great atmosphere great service ! No complaints !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A FavoriteJoanVIPDined on 2/12/2014Cafe Espanol on Bleecker Street never disappoints. The ample servings are fresh, delicious and beautifully served by friendly, funny and adept staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good menu of the day value for NYCConnDined on 2/8/2014We enjoyed our Saturday lunch before a show this weekend. Service was great, so we didn't have to rush through lunch in order to get up to Broadway in time for our matinee. The price of just $14.95 can't be beat for soup or salad, entree w/veggie, rice or potato, and sangria, wine or beer. For just a buck more, we also got coffee and flan for dessert. Lots of entrees to choose from too. Not as good food or ambience as our lunch at Don Quijote the last time we were in the city for a show, but the price was a LOT less expensive here at El Café Español!Special Features:
- Excelente y Sabroso!TPDXVIPDined on 2/1/2014Came to Cafe Español for a few tapas and a glass of wine. I was really impressed. The "pulpo a la plancha," and the "albóndigas" were delicious. The wine (I had a glass of Ribera del Duero tinto) was tasty, too. But more than all of this, the service was impeccable. Attentive, but not intrusive. Cordial, without seeming put-on. In other words, really professional. From the hostess who greeted me, to paying the bill...it was a great experience. I can see why they're still in business after all these years. ¡Felicitaciones!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always excellent experienceDroppinBeetsDined on 1/29/2014You can get some great paella here without breaking the bank. Don't forget to order sangria too.Special Features:
- Muy buenoOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/25/2014Cafe Espanol has been a round for a long time and there is a good reason. The food is consistently good, the servings are generous, and the staff is friendly. And to top things off, it is reasonably priced!Special Features:
- Nice spot with ok foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/18/2014Decor felt authentically Spanish. Menu a little large which is rarely a good sign. We chose tapas which was ok though not enough vegetable option. Langoustines were delicious other options were ok, lamb was overcooked.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious appetizers, lobsterJust4mikeDined on 1/8/2014Delicious appetizers, lobster was a bit harsh as a usual. My Russians friend from New York invite me to Espanol 10 years ago- and I remember delicious lobsters and come with my wife and son. Actually I am living in Moscow . Unfortunately in Moscow have not such kind of restaurant. Yes, I will recommend to my friend, thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old reliablejasonVIPDined on 1/4/2014In the mood for a lobster, Spanish style with green or white sauce, or nicely broiled, with nice sides and a salad, a bargain under 25. And get the sangria, refreshing! Service always good even when crowded. Nice people! A village staple.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Holiday DinnerMJM2014Dined on 12/24/2013My wife and I ate here on Christmas Eve. The food was delicious and the service was excellent. The portions were huge and our cava sangria was done right. This place has a nice European ambiance but it's very tight inside. It was a little too hectic for a romantic experience. Nevertheless, we had a great dinner and we will definitely go back next time we're in Manhattan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently deliciousNYerDined on 12/24/2013This is an authentic Spanish restaurant. I have been a customer for over 25 years... Most recently, we went on Christmas Eve. I love this restaurant because the food is consistent. Service is by mature, experienced waiters and always professional. The paella and any of the mixed rice dishes are delish. There is full menu of seafood and other dishes to choose from. Tapas are fairly new to their menu and I am not familiar with them. I don't usually order an appetizer because they serve bread and salad with every meal. If you're with a group of three or more, be sure get different side dishes (potatoes, vegetables or rice) and share them. And, leave room for desserts. I recommend...of course, the flan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This restaurant is specialLuvoystersDined on 12/22/2013This restaurant is special to our family.My husband and I used to dine there before our kids were born.We later introduced them to the the restaurant and now they go there with their friends on special occasions.We like to go for dinner/tapas every year after seeing the Christmas Tree in NY .Nice place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and DesertOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 12/22/2013You should try to let the lovely old man to introduce the desert for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing special...no reason to goDerwoodVIPDined on 12/12/2013Had a company dinner there for 19, while service was good mainly because they were empty, the food was bland at best. The sangria is very good! the apps were small and lacked any punch! the mains are large but also lacked flavor. The piaya had a decent amount of items! but the sausage was dry and tasteless! the chicken was bland and the lobster was not as large as advertised. Some folks had fish, which no one was very impressed. The prosciutto and bread the employees were eating at the bar that they obviously bought elsewhere looked like the best food in the restaurant. While it was fine for our large group, I'd likely stay away until the food improvesSpecial Features:
- Noise levelOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/7/2013Delicious food but felt assaulted by the noise level on a Saturday night.Special Features: