Cafe Español - Carmine St.
78 Carmine St.
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
Cafe Español - Carmine St.
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafeespanolny.com/
- Phone: 2126753312
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday -Thursday: 11:00am - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 12:00pm - 1:00am, Sunday: 12:00pm - 11:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Offering a variety of trays from our tapas menu to paella, meats, and chicken dishes. We provide delivery, set up, and workers if needed. We have over 20 years experience. Please contact us to help organize your special event or fun Spanish theme party.
- Entertainment: Live Spanish music every Tuesday and Thursday starting at 7pm.
A word from Cafe Español - Carmine St.
Cozy, romantic, authentic Spanish tapas restaurant in the heart of the west village. Customers will be treated to a wonderful candlelight meal by our experienced and knowledgeable staff. Come join us for a taste of Spain.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cafe Español - Carmine St. reviews from OpenTable diners
22 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (8)fit for foodies (8)neighborhood gem (8)romantic (5)kid-friendly (5)great for lunch (3)special occasion (3)hot spot (3)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (2)great for brunch (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- FantasticLaurenDined on 9/6/2014Amazing red sangria baked clams garlic shrimp sirloin steak and pork chops with rice and spinach. ..no room for dessert the food was outstanding we'll be back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- if you are looking for Spanish FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/27/2014Go somewhere else. The food here is mediocre - there is nothing special about the place. My friend had a coupon - so we went.
- Where friends re-connectLove127VIPDined on 8/22/2014Cafe Espanol started as a staple for us and our friends. We celebrated anniversaries, births, baptisms, birthdays, Mother's Day and Father's Day. We also went there to have our date night dinner and reconnect with our "couple" friends. This evening we celebrated 3 different anniversaries. Two couples were celebrating their 25th Wedding Anniversary and other other was celebrating 13th Wedding Anniversary. We have all been friends for 25 - 40 years and it was such a great night for us to connect over EXCELLENT food, drinks and ambiance. The service was AWESOME and everyone was so attentive. They weren't surprised when we ordered items from the "back-in-the-day" menu. We couldn't be happier. It was a great night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always goodgadflyVIPDined on 8/20/2014Enormous portions. Great service. I eat here all the time. A great village find.Special Features:
- gadflyVIPDined on 8/9/2014The entire staff INCLUDING THE OWNER work promptness and courteously to provide diners and guests with a superb eating experience! We found this place long ago as a neighborhood "gem" but recently took some guests..........and it was SUPERB. The owner was gracious and kind and studiously waited on our table. The waiters and busboys are always "old world" neatly dressed and polite. The food? DELICIOUS!Special Features:
- Excellent Spanish restaurantdeb19VIPDined on 7/5/2014Surprisingly excellent food and service. Neigborhood gem. Great choice for tapas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not goodDiner678Dined on 7/3/2014The food didn't seem special for the price. Not coming back again.
- Tiffy38Tiffy38Dined on 7/1/2014The dinner was delicious and plentiful! Great restaurant for Spanish food. The paella is very tasty, and enough to enjoy for dinner the next day. Dining outside is enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dont spend your money thereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/29/2014we had a groupon an they made us feel like beggars the service was very slow the waiter after I told him that the plate where very small potions told us that they where smaller for groupon so the food was very average at best so don't spend your money there. I waited over 20 min for my mojito's drink an it was not that busy the only good thin was the Spanish café at the end..Special Features:
- Always delicious!FoodieDined on 6/27/2014The food here is always delicious and the service is personal, even though the atmosphere is energetic and it's usually a full restaurant and bar. One of my favorite places in NYC.Special Features:
- Viva La Cafe EspanolsaintmaeVIPDined on 6/15/2014We took my husband for Father's Day dinner and he loved the Mariscada Verde and my broiled seafood with lobster was splendid. The tapas were the only thing that was sparse for the price, but the coffee and desserts were amazing also. We'll go back for their outstanding Mango Sangria!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as Bleeker StreetNunyaDined on 6/5/2014The first thing I noticed was the smell...it smelled slightly musty when they sat us in the dining room. The food was okay but not as good as on Bleeker...it looked and tasted like they cooked the seafood separately and then put it into the paella. The service was excellent. Overall okay experience, but I'll make the trip over to the East Side unless I'm trying to use a restaurant.com coupon.Special Features:
- Groupon DealnomzDined on 6/1/2014We came here with a groupon deal, but that did not deter the waiters from providing us with great service. Quick note, there is no one assigned waiter to a table. We had different servers visit our table throughout the night to take our orders, refill our water, take away dishes, etc.Special Features:
- briggieDined on 5/31/2014We had five tapas. The grilled octopus was poor as it was too soft and tasteless. The grilled shrimp wasn't bad and the shrimp in garlic sauce was good. The spicy spanish sausage was underwhelming and the five pieces of asparagus were tasty but nothing special. The fried ice cream was great as was the service. Unfortunately, the food would be a deterrent from returning.Special Features:
- The following 167 reviews are from the Cafe Español - Carmine St. reviews archive.
- YummyFoodNewsDined on 5/23/2014The food and dessert were absolutely yummy. The sangria was not & very disappointing. Be sure to have the fried ice cream!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SaraDined on 5/22/2014Need I say more than the following: NO PAELLA IS EXECUTED WITH PARBOILED RISE!!!! It also tasted like the ingredients were added onto the rise as opposed to being cooked with it...
- Awesome for large group!MomInSohoDined on 5/17/2014The restaurant was very flexible and accommodating with our group of 13 last Sat night. We were a loud and rambunctious crew and they were so easygoing to work with. Our dinners were delicious but the service was really impressive. It's in our neighborhood and we'd never been but would definitely go back!Special Features:
- not impressed in West VillagebananafishDined on 5/15/2014nice atmosphere and good service, not impressed with food. we tried 10 tapas and a seafood paella, olives and cheese plate were decent, the rest of it - bla. white sangria was ok.
- Mistaken identity?ConflictedDined on 5/10/2014I came here after hearing rave reviews from a friend whose uncle frequented the place. However I didn't realize there is another restaurant of the same name nearby. Are they related? Are they not? I have no idea, but the one I went to was quite disappointing. The people were very nice, but the food was not appetizing. The pulpo was WAY too salty, my friends omelette was brown- overcooked- which they remedied, and my paella was lackluster. And the sangria? Tasted like cleaning fluid.
- Very good Spanish food in nycrosecappyDined on 5/1/2014The food, drinks and services are outstanding. The owner Pablo is extremely friendly and accommodating to all your needSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and serviceAlbertoDined on 4/5/2014We had a long table that was perfect for a large group with 4 kids. Food was really nice (although expensive), service was nice and we weren't rushed into leaving even though it was Saturday night.Special Features:
- The veal dish I ordered fromJunoonVIPDined on 4/4/2014The veal dish I ordered from the lunch menu came under-cooked, almost raw...I was thinking of sending it back, but felt uncomfortable doing so. The waiter was very easily distracted. At some point, he forgot about me for almost 20 min, when I wanted to take a look at the dessert menu. The other party (the only party at the restaurant at the time), got his entire attention for some social exchange and such...
- nice ambienceolivia24Dined on 3/22/2014the tapas were delicious but portions were (perhaps foreseeably) very small. incidentally, the desserts were huge. the restaurant was quite loud which made conversation challenging. ambience was nice, perhaps slightly cramped.Special Features:
- FoodrosecappyDined on 3/4/2014One of the best place in NYC for Spanish food with extraordinary service. Pablo the owner always makes you feel welcomeSpecial Features:
- Always great food, great service.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 2/28/2014Always great food, great service. I've been coming here for over 20 years, never disappointed. The sangria is a bit weak!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & servicegkdinerVIPDined on 2/21/2014The food, service and ambiance were all great. Very friendly staff. The sangria was amazing - ask for the bartender's special recipe. And the food was delicious - I had a very good paella with seafood, chicken and sausage. Definitely will recommend this spot to others.I would recommend this to a friend.
- My first time hereVancheDined on 2/14/2014Place was recommended to me years ago when I first moved to NYC. I finally got a chance to go for a nicely put together valentines pre-fix. I really liked it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I would definitely recommendFoodieQDined on 2/14/2014I would definitely recommend the stuffed mushrooms and stuffed lobster. However the saffron rice was burnt quite a bit of the grains were hard. We also got a pitcher of margarita which was very weak, total waste of money. I would go back again and give it another try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT Experience!LuigiDined on 2/14/2014I took my girlfriend to Cafe Español for Valentine's Day dinner and I could not have been more pleased! The service was incredible and each tapas we ordered was delicious. I traveled to Barcelona this past summer and I can honestly say that the food at Cafe Español was as authentic as could be! Definitely try the calamares and the patatas bravas! Also, the pitcher of sangria was HUGE and tasty! Definitely going back for more tapas as soon as I get the chance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/7/2014We were 3 having dinner. we tried at least 7 tapas. They were all great, Pulpo a la Gallega, Gambas Pli pli, Empanadas and more. The owner was really ice and recomended us according to our taste. Wine was really good too! I would definetly go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great cozy RestaurantYumYumDined on 2/1/2014We went for farewell dinner with a friend who will be leaving us after spending more than a decade in NY. At first my wife went to a wrong restaurant few blocks away with the same name, so be careful!! Cafe Espanol at 78 Carmine Street!! Best small restaurant in the neighborhood!Special Features:
- Muy Bueno!!!BakerDined on 12/6/2013I had a GREAT time at this restaurant. The service was FABULOUS and the food was GREAT! This was my first time going and I will definitely go back. They have a great happy hour and the sangria is awesome!Special Features:
- great food!luvgoodfoodDined on 11/15/2013The paella dish at this restaurant was outstanding! My wife ordered the skirt steak which was Delicious and was pretty large, i was impressed. This has been my favorite restaurant for many years and will continue to be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Sounds of SangríaMartinezVIPDined on 11/8/2013After many, many lunches at Café Español, I went there for dinner, right at the tail end of Happy Hour. Two of us shared five tapas (spinach, asparagus, tortilla, calamares, and chorizo) and a bottle of Albariño -- a very good meal. If you go at Happy Hours, expect loud neighbors. If, however, you want to talk to, rather than holler at, your dinner companions, wait until about 7:30.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy Spanish Food & good locationOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/31/2013Cafe Espanole is an excellent restaurant. I have been there several times and the food and service is always very good. If you enjoy Spanish cuisine and tapas, give it a try. Great location to the 1/9 subway line and Soho/Village.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tourist experiencetouristDined on 10/24/2013We were looking for a reataurant that is preferred by locals and my family and I loved the food. The service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very bad experience. SafeNYC250JDined on 9/28/2013Very bad experience. Safe your time and money and go someplace else .
- A little loudWesmoeDined on 9/27/2013Food was good - I. Recommend the tablero appetizer, but due to it's polularity it is a little loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greenwich Village Spanish StapleLoriVIPDined on 9/22/2013We hadn't been to this restaurant for many years and we are glad that we stopped by and had their great steamed Lobsters and wonderful Martinis. We will be going back again. My husband and I enjoyed the quiet atmosphere and actually had a conversation and could hear each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfair!!!goodenoughtoeatVIPDined on 9/4/2013Charged full price for drinks even though we asked if we could have "happy hour pricing" at table because we used the coupon. Had I ordered at the Bar I would have paid half price and brought to the table. UNFAIR!!