4601 Grand Ave S
Minneapolis, MN 55419Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafeena.net/
- Phone: (612) 824-4441
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm Weekend Brunch Saturday & Sunday 10:00am-2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Fusion / Eclectic
- Executive Chef: Hector Ruiz
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Cafe Ena
Chef/Owner Hector Ruiz welcomes you to Café Ena: A cozy intimate restaurant located in the tangletown neighborhood in south Minneapolis. Chef Ruiz pares his classic French technique and South American palate to present an exciting menu of Latin-Fusion cuisine. Begin your meal with a south american style ceviche, shrimp, fish, scallops and shrimp in a aji sauce. The many entrées include, scallops, halibut, pork tenderloin, Argentinean style steaks finished in a savory chimichurri. The wine list focuses on a wide range of varietals from Central and South America. Weekly Wine Flights are a great opportunity to sample the many styles offered on the list. If wine is not your thing, perhaps you would enjoy one of the many cervesas, always served in a frosty mug with a lime.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Cafe Ena - Best Restaurants in Uptown ›
Cafe Ena reviews from OpenTable diners
189 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (154)fit for foodies (145)special occasion (71)romantic (52)great for outdoor dining (44)notable wine list (31)good for groups (28)great for lunch (23)hot spot (20)late-night find (8)great for brunch (8)kid-friendly (7)Show More
- Great Find!KikiDined on 11/14/2014We had an out of town group of 4 for dinner at Cafe Ena. The ambiance was lively, colorful and friendly. The noise level was such that we could carry on a nice conversation without yelling. The food was delicious. The menu was varied and had interesting ingredient pairings. The service was friendly and efficient . My husband wanted to go back for lunch 2 days later, but our schedule did not allow it. Would put this on the top of my list if we visit Minneapolis again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very happy houralisagDined on 11/9/2014We thoroughly enjoyed the happy hour menu - delicious food, good deals, and an excellent restaurant!Special Features:
- Love it!MarciaDined on 11/8/2014When looking for a good place to eat/gather with friends in the Uptown area, we always return here. Best guacamole anywhere! Easy to converse, wonderful staff, delicious food, great atmosphere.Special Features:
- I hope a one time issueGermanishDined on 11/7/2014This was my third time eating here. The food is always amazing. However, this time was a Friday night and the place was crowded and loud and the service was very slow.Special Features:
- Why didn't I come here sooner! Excellent service!HennalinaDined on 11/7/2014I am kicking myself for driving past this place for so many years and never trying it sooner - I cannot wait to go back! The absolute best part about our recent dinner at Cafe Ena was the service - and that is saying a lot because the food was absolutely delicious! But honestly, I haven't had a server take such good care of me in soooo long! He went out of his way to make sure we were completely happy, gave excellent descriptions of the dishes, and had his eye on us to catch our every need! The ambiance was great, a small intimate space that didn't feel too crowded at all, an open kitchen that didn't overwhelm the atmosphere, warm Latin decor. And the food was awesome - we started with the camaron y conchas and each had a fish entree that was cooked perfectly with delicious but not overpowering sauces. I couldn't drink, but our server recommended the house-made cucmber lime juice, and it was so refreshing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going back!HungryGardenerDined on 11/6/2014The staff here was so attentive and kind. Our food was really good. Best guacamole I think we have ever had. I had a fantastic steak and my husband had pork....both were excellent. We finished with flan and sorbet. The sorbet was so supple and amazing. I was expecting it to be more cafe meets texmex, but it was so much more. They had a lot of seafood on the menu that I am excited to go back and try.Special Features:
- Day of the Dead...PigxpditeVIPDined on 11/2/2014As we entered we were a bit taken back by the decor and the creepy face paint on the wait staff. Shortly after being seated it was explained to us that as a "Latin/South American" restaurant they were recognizing "Day of the Dead". Once we got past that we dove into the menu. Guac was incredible, great beer and wine selection and I do believe they served up the best pork tenderloin I have ever eaten! We will definitely be back, but probably on a day that is just a bit more "uplifting"!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the guacamole!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014It was our first time to Cafe Ena - it came highly recommended by friends. We were extremely impressed with the service, attention to detail, and fresh, delicious food. The guacamole is the best we've ever had. We will definitely go back when we can find a babysitter again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our new fave!MinnetonkaMavenDined on 10/31/2014This is our third visit and although we did not eat outside this time because it was cold, the patio is wonderful in warmer weather. Inventive menu, fabulous service. We took out-of-town guests this time and they were so impressed. Consistently great food and flavors. Dia del Meuertes prix fixe was inspired.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Ceviche24thebestcevicheDined on 10/31/2014The ceviche was the best we have experienced in the Twin Cities so far. Not only was it generous for the price, but more importantly, had excellent sea food, flavor and great chips!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun menuthetopsDined on 10/30/2014Went for a special lunch. The menu was good, definitely will be back again!Special Features:
- Cafe Ena - I Keep Bringing GuestsPatriciaDined on 10/28/2014I LOVE this restaurant! Even though I live in Apple Valley, I find that I keep coming back to Cafe Ena and bringing guests with me that have never been to the restaurant. Everyone loves the atmosphere, service and most of all the top notch, exquisite cuisine. I cannot say enough about the A++ experiences my family and friends continue to have at this charming, yet sophisticated neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- Exceptional experienceRomanticdiner1Dined on 10/26/2014My husband and I would frequent El Meson for all special occasions. When it closed, we were very disappointed. Our daughter had Mentioned Cafe Ena, but we had not gone till last week. We finally found our favorite restaurant again.Special Features:
- why so slow?ToddVIPDined on 10/24/2014Our meals -- one was pork medallions, one scallops, one a salad -- were all great tasting, and technically great. But the service could be so much better. It should never take an hour to prepare these dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindDennyDogDined on 10/24/2014I always look for a new place to dine when I travel to the cities and this was a great find. I had looked at the menu and read the reviews on Open Table and we were not disappointed. The menu had a nice variety and was filled with selections you would never see where I live (SoDak). The food was outstanding and the service was very good, I will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Vacation without the hassleurtiaDined on 10/18/2014We just celebrated our anniversary at Cafe Ena, we also celebrated here last year. We love that it transports you to another place with the food and the atmosphere. We have shared the occasion with other couples both times and they also felt like they were traveling and enjoying a memorable meal to savor. It is full and noisy, which we love, we know it is a great place that way. We started with the ceviche and the plaintain chips, both sublime. The 4 of us got 4 different main courses and they all were winners. One person ordered the salmon although they usually don't when dining out and were pleasantly surprised. The steak was melt-in-your mouth delicious. The sauce and accompaniments to the pork tenderloin were a treat for the palate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A true unique gemljbaddDined on 10/18/2014Phenomenal food and a great wine selection marks this incredible find. Definitely a romantic hit spot. Downsides are the restaurant is really and the tables feel cramped together. Service definitely slows down at peak hours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- so happy to have found this gem!KarenDined on 10/18/2014I was looking for a place to eat that wasn't the same old, same old. I didn't want a chain restaurant. But, I don't like really strange food. I picked Cafe Ena. It was perfect. Everything is prepared in an interesting way with wonderful seasonings. I've been there three times and my dining companions and I are always extremely pleased with the food. The guacamole has a bright, fresh flavor. The beef is tender and so tasty. There are also chicken, fish, seafood and vegetarian options. It's a fairly small restaurant, so it's better suited to smaller groups of 2-6 and I highly recommend reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectionFridleyLarsonsDined on 10/17/2014When it comes to Latin inspired food.. this is it! EVERYTHING we have tried here is amazing... From service to food to drinks... its a cant miss at Cafe Ena! Been here many times since coming to Open Table.. and never once disappointedSpecial Features:
- Sophisticated Latin FoodSteveofoto1VIPDined on 10/17/2014Unexpectedly affordable ($55/person with drinks and tip), unpretentious but well prepared food. I had the Rack of Lamb which was both unique and tasty.Special Features:
- Wonderful seafood!KinnickDined on 10/17/2014This was our second trip to Cafe Ena, and we have been impressed both times. The seafood is fantastic and overall presentation is impressive. This is a neighborhood gem in the truest sense of the term!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummoConstanceDined on 10/14/2014This is a great seafood place with very well prepared and interesting combos. De-lish!Special Features:
- Fusion Recipes Appeal to GroupLetsEATDined on 10/10/2014Visiting St Paul, We were looking for spot to take our college-student daughter and her friends after their athletic event. Translation: hip location/menu with variety but nothing too funky/semi-casual attire and mid-range prices. JACKPOT!!! We had a 9:30 reservation for our group of 6, and were seated right on time. Started with fantastic sangria, and fresh juice drinks for the under-21ers, along with calamari and amazing guacamole apps. We had a tough time picking an entree because everything sounded so delicious, but we're unanimously delighted with our choices. Portions are sized just right to leave room for dessert, which you absolutely do not want to skip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love it!delishDined on 10/9/2014Cafe Ena is my favorite restaurant. They have an ever changing menu with some of the same basic ingredients. They do seafood particularly well, but I've loved the other food as well. They have a great atmosphere and the service is great. The last time I went with a group of 5 people and we all had a hard time choosing what to eat because nearly everything looks and tastes great. It is also a great place to find gluten-free and dairy free food if that matters to you!Special Features:
- CreativeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/5/2014Cafe Ena offers a unique and creative menu. Our party of three enjoyed a chicken, halibut, and vegetable risotto. We all felt our food was very flavorful and nicely presented. The guacamole with chips appetizer was delicious, but the amount of chips was pitiful. Our waitress did bring more when requested. The bread basket too was small and consisted of one slice per person. Our reservation was early and before the restaurant was full, but despite this service was a bit slow. This being said, I would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New favoriteSBmpls85Dined on 10/3/2014I'd heard great things about cafe ena and was not disappointed. Amazing food and appetizers, great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was fantastic. Great nightBesthusbandeverDined on 10/3/2014Wonderful meals, generous portions, quality service, and overall a great night. The only reason I don't give it 5 stars is that we were on a date night away from the kiddos and the room is a bit louder than I prefer. Tables are a touch close, providing energy, ghost it detracting from what otherwise could be a romantic setting. Will go back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/3/2014Waiter's suggestions were good and he was very attentive even though the restaurant was full. The Bife de Chorizo and the Jambalaya were both excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dining experiencedebbieDined on 9/29/2014It had been a while since I visited Cafe Ena. We had the most wonderful dinner the other night. The food was scrumptious, we had an appetizer with scallops and shrimp, halibut and prawns for dinner and an apple tart/cake dessert. Even the bread was fabulous. I forgot how good it was. I would certainly go back for any special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, as always.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/28/2014We love the neighborhood vibe, sitting outside. That corner is a real neighborhood plus. Inside is always cozy, romantic on the right occasion. Our waiter this visit was so attentive and very pleasant. Brunch was so tasty and it was easy to keep the baby happy outside. We'll try her on the inside this winter, and see.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/27/2014Wonderful. We take turns on monthly restaurant dinning experiences with our very best friends. This month, I picked Cafe Ena based on proximity to both families, reviews and menu. It was awesome. My wife, an excellent chef in her own right, thinks it was the best we've been to in many, many years. I strongly recommend Cafe Ena.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderfulbandbfoodieDined on 9/27/2014We had a group of 6 on the outdoor patio. The service is professional and the food is wonderful. We had 2 appetizers, 2 bottles of wine, 4 lamb specials, 2 fish specials and 4 deserts. Everyone had a great time and the bill was very reasonable.Special Features:
- DominiqueVIPDined on 9/25/2014Never disappointed... Food is so delicious, presentation awesome and the waiter is the best. Love Cafe Ena!
- billyboyDined on 9/21/2014The Chilean Sea Bass entree was great! Very small portion of appetizers. (Excellent quality calamari, however). Great place for early (pre-show) dining).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- second visit equally fineLucybirdDined on 9/17/2014We were worried that our second trip to Cafe Ena couldn't live up to our first, but it did. The chef is unbelievable with fish. The avocado appetizer is awesome. Haven't tried desserts nor the red meats. Will definitely return again and again as long as this quality holds up.Special Features:
- Good food, decent serviceLCM55417VIPDined on 9/15/2014Our service started out strong but then about half way through our meal we rarely saw him. The food was good although I was unimpressed with the risotto that came with my dish. We'll got back, because there are a lot of things on the menu I'd like to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FANTASTICTomkVIPDined on 9/15/2014We love this place, I had the Sea Bass, as good as any I have ever had. My wife had the scallops, she also said the best she had ever had!Special Features:
- Amazing food and great servicekdawgDined on 9/14/2014My husband & I went to Cafe Ena for a date night on Sunday and it did not disappoint. I have never had a bad meal here. I always look forward to their treatment of scallops - this time with a creamy butter sauce accompanied by coconut risotto and a pineapple salsa. Our waiter, Robert, was very friendly, knowledgeable and recommended a great bottle of wine for us. My one caveat, as it seems with all restaurants these days was the noise level. I would not term it energetic as was my only "viable" option in this review. I would rather term it distracting for an intimate conversation which we were hoping to have. However, I will be back and hope to find a less noisy table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!LovemnDined on 9/14/2014Our party of 6 had a great meal at Café Ena. The ambiance is lovely, the music vibrant and energizing without getting in the way of conversation, and the food was delicious. We especially loved the variety of seafood choices. We all enjoyed our meals, nicely presented, good portion size, with excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely OutstandingRandyDined on 9/13/2014This was amazing in every way. Excellent, excellent food. Perfect service. Looking forward to going back often and trying everything on the menu, looking forward to trying their other restaurants too. We sat by the kitchen and enjoyed watching every plate made from scratch. The presentation of plates, portion sizes, flavors...everything was spot on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.