4601 Grand Ave S
Minneapolis, MN 55419Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafeena.net/
- Phone: 6128244441
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm Weekend Brunch Saturday & Sunday 10:00am-2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Fusion / Eclectic
- Executive Chef: Hector Ruiz
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Cafe Ena
Chef/Owner Hector Ruiz welcomes you to Café Ena: A cozy intimate restaurant located in the tangletown neighborhood in south Minneapolis. Chef Ruiz pares his classic French technique and South American palate to present an exciting menu of Latin-Fusion cuisine. Begin your meal with a south american style ceviche, shrimp, fish, scallops and shrimp in a aji sauce. The many entrées include, scallops, halibut, pork tenderloin, Argentinean style steaks finished in a savory chimichurri. The wine list focuses on a wide range of varietals from Central and South America. Weekly Wine Flights are a great opportunity to sample the many styles offered on the list. If wine is not your thing, perhaps you would enjoy one of the many cervesas, always served in a frosty mug with a lime.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Cafe Ena - Best Restaurants in Uptown ›
Cafe Ena reviews from OpenTable diners
193 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (153)fit for foodies (135)great for outdoor dining (86)special occasion (74)romantic (50)great for lunch (30)notable wine list (29)good for groups (29)great for brunch (15)hot spot (15)kid-friendly (7)late-night find (3)Show More
- Wonderful dining experiencedebbieDined on 9/29/2014It had been a while since I visited Cafe Ena. We had the most wonderful dinner the other night. The food was scrumptious, we had an appetizer with scallops and shrimp, halibut and prawns for dinner and an apple tart/cake dessert. Even the bread was fabulous. I forgot how good it was. I would certainly go back for any special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/27/2014Wonderful. We take turns on monthly restaurant dinning experiences with our very best friends. This month, I picked Cafe Ena based on proximity to both families, reviews and menu. It was awesome. My wife, an excellent chef in her own right, thinks it was the best we've been to in many, many years. I strongly recommend Cafe Ena.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/27/2014We had a group of 6 on the outdoor patio. The service is professional and the food is wonderful. We had 2 appetizers, 2 bottles of wine, 4 lamb specials, 2 fish specials and 4 deserts. Everyone had a great time and the bill was very reasonable.Special Features:
- DominiqueVIPDined on 9/25/2014Never disappointed... Food is so delicious, presentation awesome and the waiter is the best. Love Cafe Ena!
- billyboyDined on 9/21/2014The Chilean Sea Bass entree was great! Very small portion of appetizers. (Excellent quality calamari, however). Great place for early (pre-show) dining).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- second visit equally fineLucybirdDined on 9/17/2014We were worried that our second trip to Cafe Ena couldn't live up to our first, but it did. The chef is unbelievable with fish. The avocado appetizer is awesome. Haven't tried desserts nor the red meats. Will definitely return again and again as long as this quality holds up.Special Features:
- Good food, decent serviceLCM55417VIPDined on 9/15/2014Our service started out strong but then about half way through our meal we rarely saw him. The food was good although I was unimpressed with the risotto that came with my dish. We'll got back, because there are a lot of things on the menu I'd like to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FANTASTICTomkVIPDined on 9/15/2014We love this place, I had the Sea Bass, as good as any I have ever had. My wife had the scallops, she also said the best she had ever had!Special Features:
- Amazing food and great servicekdawgDined on 9/14/2014My husband & I went to Cafe Ena for a date night on Sunday and it did not disappoint. I have never had a bad meal here. I always look forward to their treatment of scallops - this time with a creamy butter sauce accompanied by coconut risotto and a pineapple salsa. Our waiter, Robert, was very friendly, knowledgeable and recommended a great bottle of wine for us. My one caveat, as it seems with all restaurants these days was the noise level. I would not term it energetic as was my only "viable" option in this review. I would rather term it distracting for an intimate conversation which we were hoping to have. However, I will be back and hope to find a less noisy table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!LovemnDined on 9/14/2014Our party of 6 had a great meal at Café Ena. The ambiance is lovely, the music vibrant and energizing without getting in the way of conversation, and the food was delicious. We especially loved the variety of seafood choices. We all enjoyed our meals, nicely presented, good portion size, with excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely OutstandingRandyDined on 9/13/2014This was amazing in every way. Excellent, excellent food. Perfect service. Looking forward to going back often and trying everything on the menu, looking forward to trying their other restaurants too. We sat by the kitchen and enjoyed watching every plate made from scratch. The presentation of plates, portion sizes, flavors...everything was spot on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GerryDined on 9/12/2014Great selection of fish dishes.Guacomoli is exceptional.everything is fresh and tasty.Special Features:
- becoming our go-to26yearsDined on 9/10/2014We have been here a few times and have never been disappointed ! My wife has always liked the guacamole and I keep trying new things never have had something average always well thought out , seasoned perfectly and visually appealing.Special Features:
- Almost changed my mindOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/7/2014I've been here many times before and have gotten incredible service, this time around - Sunday night. The first half hour to 45 minutes, with a reservation, our party was waiting at the door and then put in the farthest corner table and basically forgotten because all the activity was on the patio. An astute waiter with knowledge of diabetes saved the evening - working with my friend on selecting entrees and bringing fresh vegetables for appetizers. So the meal became all about her which pleased her.Special Features:
- ForgottenSkillmomDined on 9/7/2014It had been a couple of years since we have been to Ena. I us still wonderful and we will return soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lunch menuprairieprofessorDined on 9/3/2014very comprehensive and eclectic. Loved the quesadilla's and enchilada's. Great little bar area tooSpecial Features:
- Good food, patio and happy hour!SpidergingDined on 9/1/2014First time at Cafe Ena during Labor Day weekend. Had wonderful drinks, apps and dinner during the happy hour. The Camaron de Caribe and guacamole is a must have! Patio had wonderful seating! Thank you!Special Features:
- Birthday celebrationYepperDined on 8/30/2014Cafe Ena was chosen for a celebration of a milestone birthday . Couldn't have been a better time- wonderful food and service unbeatable . Staff made this a special night for all . Thank you !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Latin FoodMNFoodieVIPDined on 8/29/2014Cafe Ena is a cozy Latin restaurant with great food and attentive service. The menu selections were eclectic with many Central and South American entres. Our party had seafood and beef meals which were all well prepared and presented, and most importantly tasted great. Make sure you order plantains as an appetizer, they were delicious and reminded me of time spent in Miami and Puerto Rico. Although the restaurant was busy, it was not loud and a couple could have an intimate meal without interruptions.Special Features:
- Great find!jhitchVIPDined on 8/29/2014We had an excellent meal! Everything was uniquely prepared and delicious! Highly recommend!!Special Features:
- Happy Anniversary!BirthdayBoyDined on 8/28/2014Had our 27th Anniversary dinner here, and it was wonderful. Food was awesome, service was great (the wait staff really knew the menu and made good recommendations). Price was right on point and serving size was generous. Definitely plan to go back.Special Features:
- KnollstersDined on 8/26/2014Very good dinners - the Grouper and Halibut dinners were delicious!Special Features:
- Delicious !UptowndinerDined on 8/25/2014We had a great meal at Cafe Ena on Monday night. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- Usually goodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/24/2014I usually love lunches at Cafe Ena but fell flat last week. Poor service - mediocre food - very disappointing!I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingRayngirlDined on 8/22/2014Service was excellent Food was amazing Sat outside so traffic noise not idealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding foodDisappointedVIPDined on 8/22/2014This was our first time. Was impressed. Food was excellent especially the guacamole. Service was very good. Sat outside. Lots of young couples. Was surpised the restaurant wasn't more full. Wine list was brief but adequate. Decor could use a face-lift. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and serviceTimothyDined on 8/16/2014Food was great, good favor (steak / scallops) and just right portions. Service was well timed and not rushed. Patio dining can get very noisy with the traffic and plane noise. Would go back but do indoor dinning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/15/2014Our dinner was received one hour after we placed the order. Of the two dinners both were poor. Beef medallions were rubbery and required a great deal of chewing. The pork was tasteless. The menu is highly pretentious. The service was very poor and I believe there was no chef on staff on the Friday when we were there. Based on the service and food pricing for Minneapolis was horrible. Nick
- WicsPickDined on 8/11/2014It was my second visit and we brought relatives from out of town with us. Beautiful night for indoor or outdoor seating. While there weren't many servers, (Monday night), they were attentive and gracious. The guacamole lives up to its reputation as the best in the Twin Cities! Our entrees included halibut, red snapper and pork tenderloin--rave reviews on all. Luscious sides accompany such careful presentations. Half price wine on many bottles, so what's not to like?Special Features:
- Cafe Ena RocksNenaDined on 8/8/2014Great experience, we brought our friends from out of town and we all loved it!. Maybe you can do something about the noise. Maybe some fabric on the walls.Special Features:
- wonderful dinnereatingoutagainDined on 8/8/2014We decided to eat outside this time. It was very noisy and a large dog was with their owner at the next table. We would have preferred that the dog be left elsewhere but it was somewhat understandable, since it was outdoors. We will n=be inside next time. The food was excellent and very well priced!Special Features:
- Fab food, but very slow serviceLucybirdDined on 8/6/2014Fortunately we were with good friends and had lots to talk about because our dinner, on a Wednesday night, was very slow to arrive. But when it did, wow! All four of us raved about our entrees, grouper, sea bass and the special salmon. No one offered to share! The guacamole appetizer that had been recommended by a friend was also divine, but also very slow arriving. The sidewalk tables were full but inside there were few diners so we could never figure out why the kitchen was so slow. Tried a new-to-me Bonny Doon amarenos (sp?) wine that was also excellent. We will definitely go back and give the service another try, but sit inside as the airplane noise was quite disruptive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for the in-laws!out2eatDined on 8/2/2014Saturday's dinner featuring Sea Bass and risotto was superb! My in-laws loved the place, the wine, the food and the churros with coffee for dessert. Thank you Jaime for keeping us all happy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small and WonderfulEmptyNestersVIPDined on 7/31/2014Amazing! (I hate that I have to write more. I think this one word sums up our experience and the food.)Special Features:
- A local favorite of mineSingleTrackPeteDined on 7/30/2014I dine at Cafe Ena three to four times a year. The menu has a broad range of dishes, and I have enjoyed everything I have tried. The specials have also been a great. The guacamole appetizer is the best I have ever tasted. I recently brought associates from the UK and eastern Europe for dinner. They both had several compliments.Special Features:
- Pricingefg724361Dined on 7/27/2014For a restaurant that doesn't serve organic food, i'm not sure exactly how they justify some of the pricing on the food. Probably what's most disappointing is that it costs a lot of money for a Latin@ to even afford food from their own cuisine.Special Features:
- Love the camaronesTNapierVIPDined on 7/24/2014Amazing food yet again! THe camarones are an awesome addition to the summer menu, my husband and I both loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Latin LunchbrownerdDined on 7/21/2014We've dined many times at Ena, but seldom for lunch. I was reminded recently of its virtues as a lunch spot: The menu is diverse (various meats, fish and fowl, usually prepared using various Latin American seasonings; The service is prompt and friendly; The atmosphere is pleasant (outdoor dining, too, albeit on a fairly busy street); And prices are very reasonable. That's four good reasons for going there!Special Features:
- Good Food Poor ServicemaryLDined on 7/20/2014We have eaten at Cafe Ena many times and the food and service is always great. This last time our service was poor. Our server was slow and ordered us the wrong items and we needed to wait around 20 mn. extra for her to correct the order. Also a steak was ordered med. rare and was at best med. Our fish sercial was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food and pleasant settingClodneyDined on 7/19/2014We hadn't been to Ena for a few years, and returned recently with out of town guests. The decor and furnishings were nicer than we remembered them, giving it a very nice ambience. Not sure if it is really different or just better than our memories of before. But really, the food is the star. We had the guacamole to start, and then our entrees covered the prawns, chicken, sea bass, and beef medallions. Everybody was in the clean plate club, and every dish was excellent.Special Features: