4401 South Texas Avenue
Bryan, TX 77802Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://cafeeccell.com/
- Phone: 9795997929
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 2:00pm Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm Saturday: 12:00pm - 5:00pm Sunday: 11:00am - 5:00pm Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Andreas Dallis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Cafe Eccell accepts catering events. Please call with your interest.
- Private Party Facilities: Cafe Eccell will book parties from 5-300 people. Please call with your inquiry and let Cafe Eccell's large party coordinators book your event.
- Private Party Contact: Sarah Dallis 9798467908
A word from Cafe Eccell
Open since 1989, Cafe Eccell is an integral part of College Station's landscape. Cafe Eccell bills itself as a "fresh seafood bistro". The various seafood entrees reflect multi-regional and fusion cuisines. The seafood is shipped in fresh four times weekly to ensure quality and freshness. Chilean Sea Bass, Pacific Ahi Tuna and various others are offered. Award winning dessert, homemade mesquite fired pizzas, CERTIFIED ANGUS BEEF, and a full bar and wine list round out this surprising culinary gem halfway between Houston and Austin.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Cafe Eccell - Best Restaurants in College Station ›
Cafe Eccell reviews from OpenTable diners
67 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (29)great for lunch (29)fit for foodies (25)special occasion (23)neighborhood gem (17)romantic (14)vibrant bar scene (13)hot spot (11)notable wine list (9)great for brunch (9)kid-friendly (8)scenic view (6)late-night find (4)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- A new, old experience.seafoodDined on 10/18/2014We were pleased to see how well the restaurant "transplanted". The increase in natural lighting is nice, but we were glad to feel the same general ambience that the old place had. The food and the service were great. My only complaint is that I was charged for a very small container of extra sauce (2 Tbls. at the most) for the quesadilla leftovers that I took home. I've never been charged before for something like that. It was a shame that the meal had to end with a bad taste in my mouth, so to speak. Otherwise, we enjoyed our experience. Diners just need to beware of petty charges.Special Features:
- BQWolf05BQWolf05Dined on 10/17/2014This was my first trip to the new location. We made reservations and we were able to be seated right away. We ordered the queso with shrimp appetizer and it is one that I will go back for The steak (prime Rib) was cooked very well and my wife enjoyed her pizza. I am looking forward to being able to try them again to try something new.Special Features:
- First Visit to New LocationCJTravelerDined on 10/16/2014This was my first visit to the new location. The service and food were very good, as was the selection of beers and wine. My only criticism is that the place is very loud, not like it was at the old location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The cafe does eccellAlexsawineguyDined on 10/11/2014This is a great place with above average food. Perfect for a before game meal when you want to go a little upscale in a college town. The burger was top notch and the sesame tuna portion was large. Attentive service and nice craft brews round out the visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ASH73Dined on 10/11/2014Good find and food... a lil slow on bar drinks before the football game - served by Sam! He has a great sense of humor just needs to speed it up!Special Features:
- Bravo guys. Really well done.MaxxDined on 10/10/2014Wish I could remember our server's name, but she was great. Good suggestive seller and knowledgable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GOOD AS ALWAYSKINGOAKSQUEENDined on 10/9/2014Cafe Eccell finally moved into a larger location and is still a great place to eat! The staff is so top notch and the food is presented beautifully!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/7/2014Fantastic meal! We all ordered different entrees, and no one was disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a favoriteSnickerdoodleDined on 10/7/2014Café Eccell was a favorite when it was in the old City Hall in College Station..........still a favorite in its new location.Special Features:
- a mixed bagCaramelaDined on 10/3/2014This is my 2nd visit to the new Eccell. Both time my food choices have included good & not-so-good items. The first time I split the crab cake appetizer (delicious; better than the same dish in the old Eccell) &a shrimp Caesar salad (tired & not too tasty--will not order again). My visit this weekend included the Greek burger (good though the bun is overwhelming; I took the top off), accompanied by the flavored mash potatoes of the day, soy-wasabi. The latter was awful & inedible--an unappetizing brownish color, server dry & cold with the soy-wasabi flavor unrecognizable. I'll never order this again. Our server & the manager did apologize profusely & gave our table a free (still delicious) strawberry tart, which was much appreciated.Special Features:
- Awsome dining experience!Teacakes4TwoDined on 10/2/2014Our retired teacher group was anxious to go to the "new" Cafe Eccell! We were not disappointed! Atmosphere is amazing and food was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed- compared to before.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/1/2014I was disappointed mostly in the service , the crowded seating, and noise level. Food and dessert was great! Missed the bread and herb butter. Flatbread served was fat laden pizza crust :( Please train your waitstaff! The lady was very nice but we had to ask her for plates for bread, silverware for dessert, the restaurant had run out of tea bags! It was noisy and tables too close to each other . We tried not to recall we were sitting in a former cafeteria, but apart from a delicious meal and dessert that is what we felt like :( Next time I will order take-out as the dine in experience was nothing special .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not big on detailsTwinmomDined on 9/30/2014When I made this reservation, I specifically indicated this was a birthday luncheon for my mom, that we had a surprise guest joining us, and that we wanted strawberry tarts for dessert. The hostess ruined the surprise, no one mentioned the birthday or asked about a celebration. We were not offered any dessert, we had to ask for it. Overall, nothing I clearly asked for was honored. I hope in the future they pay closer attention to details.Special Features:
- NotSatisfiedDined on 9/29/2014I was very disappointed in my experience at Cafe Eccell. I took my wife there for her birthday and all I ate was the chicken, didnt touch the sides...She had ordered crab cakes as she loves seafood and was not impressed. The beer was approximately a couple of months old based on the label. It wasnt expired, but I could taste the difference in the taste. Our waiter didnt come by much to check on us and unfortunately My wife couldnt wait to get home, despite being her birthday.
- Delicious!foodiefrankDined on 9/27/2014The food was great, especially the ahi tuna! Dont forget to ask for a dessert menu when you're done because the desserts were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dessert!!!birthdaydinnerDined on 9/27/2014Their blueberry bread pudding was out of this world!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014We had a delightful time. Food and service were excellent.Special Features:
- Lovely brunchAlleycat8543Dined on 9/21/2014We had brunch here on a Sunday. We arrived right as they opened so it was not at all crowded. Love the new space, it is a beautiful restaurant, large windows, etc.. The food was excellent, the waitstaff was friendly. We will definitely be back,Special Features:
- A Nice PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/20/2014I took my girlfriend to the old location for our first date, and then to the new location for our 1 year anniversary. I like the revamp. The food was good and the ambiance was great. The noise level was on the lower end of the moderate side, but nothing obtrusive. The service was a little slow, but we went right in the middle of the dinner hour. It wasn't abhorrent. I'll definitely be a repeat customer.Special Features:
- This place could be extraordinary!Hth3rDined on 9/20/2014I want to love this place. Its history with the area and great food keep me coming back--The voodoo salmon was excellent this past visit, rib tips were well seasoned paired with some of the freshest greens, chocolate strawberry tart was a sweet, rich treat to share with my hubby. Our waiter left us wanting, though: empty drinks, long absences, forgetting requests, and an overall apathetic sense of service really detracted from our dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Review from Ring Day weekenddiningincsDined on 9/19/2014Food was good, but the restaurant was clearly overwhelmed by the number of people there. We had booked a reservation 3 weeks earlier and when we got there, we still had to wait over 40 minutes to get a table. Was very loud, and a little sad that menu had changed from other location. And we had hoped to get a cognac at the end of the night (available at the old place) only to find out that they don't have that available anymore. Will try this place again, as it had been a favorite when at the old location, but may wait a while and hope things improve a bit.Special Features:
- Welcome Back!JanKVIPDined on 9/14/2014So happy that this place has found a new home and re-opened. Much more spacious than before, great service and very well-prepared dishes. The new digs are going to be great!Special Features:
- Service needs some kinks worked outOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2014Food was very good. Good menu, not overwhelming. Unfortunately, they were not ready for the "game day" crowd. One wait staff for at least 5 large parties. One of the parties left before they got their order taken. By the time we left, it was evident that the manager had stepped in and pulled another person from the wait staff to assist and the service improved.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No recommendationDisappointedDined on 9/13/2014The Caesar Salad had no flavor, no anchovies at all & part of the lettuce was brown with parts of the core in it. Was told they did not have a pepper mill so no cracked pepper said they had moved 3 weeks ago & had not had time to get one. I had made a reservation but was given a small table in the corner when we asked to be moved we were told no that the tables in the area we asked about had been reserved and no other offer was made even with lots of empty tables around us. The old location is gone which I understand but a new location is no excuse for lower quality. We have been eating there for at least 15 years but probably will be awhile before we go back if ever. I will warn friends not to expect old service or food quality.Special Features:
- Outstanding FoodFitFoodieDined on 9/13/2014I wasn't expecting much on game day, but the quality of the food rivaled some of the best restaurants I've ever experienced. We managed to please teenagers, vegans, and gluten-free dieters with appetizers and outstanding entrées. Our server went out of her way to change the channel on the nearby TV to the football game we wanted to watch. We will be back every time we visit our Aggie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth ReturningrerequestorsDined on 9/12/2014Making a reservation online was a smart move, since walk-ins were told they had at least a 20 minute wait. Wish there were different menus for lunch and dinner. Soft drinks should not be long to arrive. There was much activity throughout the seated areas, giving you entertainment while waiting. Our food was good. I did re request a menu so that I could remember the components of what Still we will return to sample more of the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad they are backFoodgurlDined on 9/12/2014There are so few places with fresh fish as well as an inventive menu in BCS. Cafe Eccell did not miss a beat as far as the service and quality of food that was the norm at their previous location. If you haven't tried the chocolate tart, you don't know what you're missing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very unhappyGrumpyDined on 9/12/2014Food for two of four pretty. Entree was brought very soon after salad. Pasta was crisp from warming light. Fish cooked so hard that it had to be cut with a knife . Will not return
- NoisymssuzumacDined on 9/12/2014This was our third visit back to the newly reopened Cafe Eccell. We found it too noisy to talk, our waitress was very stressed, food just ok, and most importantly my martini filled about 1/3 of the martini glass. When I asked the waitress about it she just gave me a blank stare.Special Features:
- Amazing foodtxdinerDined on 9/12/2014Enjoyed lunch a few times and love the convenient location, atmosphere and delicious food! If going for lunch, be sure to have a reservation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New location, but not a better menuHBC02CVIPDined on 9/12/2014The menu needs to be revitalized. The "new" has very few new choices. The signature strawberry tart is still decent. The wine list is unimaginative,
- Getting the check was a challengeunhappyDined on 9/8/2014AFter nice conversation with friends, we waited a good thirty minutes for our check while our waiter bussed tables and flitted around the room doing other things AFTER he had picked up our cards. This was totally uncalled for and made a very nice experience into a frustrating one.Special Features:
- The new Eccell lacking in flavorlovegoodfoodDined on 9/6/2014My husband and I decided to try out the new location. We have been to the old location a few times. We weren't very impressed with the food. The tuna appetizer had a ton of mayonnaise and you didn't get a lot of ahi tuna for the $15 price. My street tacos lacked flavor and came with a side of plain white rice (maybe some beans would have made the side better) and my husband said his gyro was okay. My cocktail was tasty (Bryan Texas breeze) and so was our tart dessert. We were disappointed and will probably try the pizza before we only come here for drinks and dessert. The new restaurant is beautiful, but if they want to fill that space, they need to do better in the kitchen. Our server was great and very accommodating.Special Features:
- Bad Service and over cooked FishAlanDined on 9/4/2014It's an OK kinda a place.Ordered a grilled Snapper which came overcooked and the Crab cake was Ok the.only thing that was good was a Pizza also the pricing of all the items are very High.Special Features:
- DisappointedTravelerDined on 8/29/2014We have always loved Cafe Eccel but we were disappointed upon coming back after their reopening. The place was done up very very nice but they changed the menu. The red snapper was very disappointing from what they used to make. Also the ribeye was very chewey and over cooked. The service was not very good but I believe we had a brand new young waiter which deserves another chance if he was new but maybe they should train him during the week. We were there on Friday night. Also ordered the creme brûlée and it was served cold. Sure hope they bring back some of old menu. Very disappointing to spend $160 on that kind of meal. MAybe we should stick with pizza.Special Features:
- As good as it used to be!SnickerdoodleDined on 8/29/2014We ate old favorites: Greek salad, Barbeque chicken pizza, tarts and wine......a perfect evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not great but getting thereJaneVIPDined on 8/27/2014#1 late Saturday night ( liked that it was still open) . I ordered the filet. It came overlooked and on a plate with a hunk of mashed potatoes and a small bunch of green beans. It looked like a Luanne platter from the old Lubys ( minus the roll). The server was nice but inexperienced. #2 early Sunday evening. Sat in the bar and had a great drink and the Voodoo salmon which has always been a favorite and was excellent. Service great. #3 early on a Tuesday evening. I had the snapper which was perfectly cooked on a bed of saffron linguine and garnished with avocado slices. It was a beautiful presentation and was delicious. Our waiter was overwhelmed as he kept getting busier. We waited a LONG time to get our credit cards back after payingSpecial Features:
- Bar service not greatalwayseatingDined on 8/24/2014I thought the drink menu was good, but the prices are higher than they should be and don't match the prices of the food. I paid $10 for a martini that didn't even make it to my table until I was halfway through dinner (I ordered it first). When it arrived, there were 2 HUGE olives stuffed with Bleu cheese (delish), but the glass was barely half full. If you took out the olives, it was about a 1/3 of the way full. That was disappointing, especially after I saw the price. I wouldn't go there for beverages, but dinner was amazing and affordable and dessert cannot be beat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014This was our first experience and perhaps we were expecting to much. Based on what we saw, it's a pizza and burger place, much like a sports bar. We'd do it again if we were looking for that experience.Special Features:
- The following 244 reviews are from the Cafe Eccell reviews archive.
- Best desert in BCS!MANDYVIPDined on 2/25/2014We always enjoy Cafe Excel, especially the chopped salad, bbq chicken pizza and strawberry tart. Unfortunately, for all of us who love Cafe Excel, they are being forced to move in March. We have been told they will reopen at a new location in the fall. We sincerely hope this is true!Special Features: